Nordstrom Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,738 reviews matching the search
Poor Management and Unreasonable
Fulfillment Agent (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 31, 2016
Management is pretty horrible overall. They require you to call in everyday to check your own schedule to see if any changes, it should be the other way around the employer calling the employee. They don't know what to do when conveyors jam up or stall. Expect to hit minimum goal when they don't provide the work. To get promoted you have to be their favorite don't matter how hard you work, its how well you appeal to them. Don't let some late arrivals some breaks even with some reasonable excuses even with proof. Overall the warehouse its like high school with teachers pets and getting punished for been late just a few minutes and expecting the employee to know when their scheduled to work.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Managemennt and Attendance system
Loved working here
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2016
I worked for Nordstrom for 6 years. I loved it there and still consider it one of the best places I have ever worked. I worked on the support side in many different roles at both The Rack and the full line store. Unfortunately, my last position moved to Seattle and I tried to get many other support positions before I eventually left the company. I have considered going back over the years, but I make more now doing similar tasks for another company. I did receive some great experience there though and highly recommend working for the company if you are just starting out.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Support jobs have caps that you reach quickly. Raises based on time there, not personal performance.
Overall, a wonderful job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 3, 2016
I love my job. It's easy and challenging in different ways - making coffee/specialty drinks has become second nature, same with taking orders and completing tasks. The only difficult part about my job is dealing with rude customers (surprisingly, the majority of nasty customers I deal with are nordstrom employees also - sales associates and even a few department managers). You've really gotta learn to bite your tongue and just smile and nod, give them a refund and tell them to have a great day. That being said, there are so so soooo many more kind, genuine customers that I interact with every single day. Espresso Bar management (at least where I work) is great - my boss is accommodating and always really understanding. My coworkers are great too (but again, maybe it's just luck that we all get along well). Overall a great place to work - you get a raise every 1000 hours you work, and there are plenty of opportunities for moving up.
Pros
Raise every 1000 hours, great discount, free coffee during your shift
Cons
Sales associates look down on you and can be extremely rude
Worth 20 years
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJanuary 31, 2016
I held different titles, so the experience can not be categorized into a short summary. I had lots of fun in the beginning, and braved through a lot of changes. The mantra is do more with less every year. Combining job titles and responsibilities closed many pathways to a promotion. Nordstrom use to promote from within, now they hire interns without experience to run the departments after they "graduate"a training course. Needless to say the Nordstrom culture has suffered. The employees care about one another, but there are always going to be some bad apples that can't get fired. The hardest part of the job is knowing that bad customers are treated better than good employees. Nordstrom has great benefits, and they are ahead of other retailers when it comes to technology, and customer service. If I had a choice of staying with Nordstrom or going to another retailer. I would pick Nordstrom everytime.
Benefits
Cons
Promotions
excellent place to work
AP & GL CONTROL DESK -ACCOUNTING ASST 4 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2016
Constant change in processes kept us busy learning and never a dull moment.
Learned what happens after payables invoices are posted and paid and how they interface to other systems like general ledger.
Learned what happens when things break and how they are fixed, internally or through outsources.
I learned about reporting numbers to corporate accounting and external reporting and prepared balance sheet explanations.
Co-workers were always willing to step in and help out when necessary.
I was able to work independently with little supervision. I was trusted at my work and knew it would get done and that I would reach out when assistance was needed.
Pros
Hourly so I was paid for OT, 401k match, profit sharing
Cons
downtown commute, away from home 12-14 hours a day
Review of Nordstrom
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 23, 2016
The work days were long but rewarding at first, towards the end I had a manager that treated me differently and it made me physically ill as far as having to be admitted to the hospital. I learned a lot about how to handle high end clientele. My first two managers were great, I think my third manager let the power go to her head. Most of my coworkers were great. The ones I did not get along with I was civil to and friendly on the floor, customers do not want to see that and honestly do not care. The hardest part of the job was it was commission based so you could never guarantee what your paycheck would be. The most enjoyable would be when I received a large paycheck.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Managment not listening to the workers.
Fast-paced, fun people, unsustainable.
MAC Cosmetics Retail Makeup Artist, Pacesetter (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAMarch 16, 2016
Nordstrom believes in amazing customer service. While that absolutely benefits the customer, it made providing excellent service difficult in a full time position when the cosmetics price points aren't huge and when the company offers free returns, no questions asked, which affects an employee's commission. I couldn't justify selling makeup, which I care a lot about, to customers who didn't have the same respect for the products and could easily return unsellable product back at any time. No boundaries with customers meant, in some cases, unreasonable expectations for service. In addition, cosmetics customers could expect a full makeup service without any fee, using up employee's time without fair compensation, unlike in a salon setting. My coworkers all had great attitudes and served the customer on their terms, empowered to use good judgement at all times. I acknowledge my management team's persistence, ability to provide feedback in the moment, and focused attitudes.
Pros
Employee discount, benefits
Cons
Variable schedule
Great Retail Experience
SALES ASSOCIATE/MAKEUP ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Alderwood, WAFebruary 1, 2016
Overall, Nordstrom provided me with a stable and satisfying job in the cosmetics department. My daily tasks were many, mostly having to do with keeping my "numbers" up. That could mean appointment numbers, sales numbers, or customer rewards numbers. I would do this through customizing my leeson style makeup appointments with clients and then inviting them back for future events, building a clientele. With how busy my location was, a big part of my job was working with team members to make sure customers were getting quality service and experience. I cleaned, stocked, and organized inventory daily as well. We also had a personal customer book software that I would utilize to make phone calls to previous customers. Occasionally, there would be conflict between employees and unaccommodating or uncomfortable communication with management. Thankfully, I was largely unaffected by those experiences.
Pros
Good Compensation, Good Benefits, Good Work Environment
Cons
Drama
Great benefits but grueling work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 13, 2016
I have worked at Nordstrom for over five years and the company needs a lot of work. When I put stars next to categories it's tough to see what I mean, but having a social life and family is nearly impossible. The compensation is great if you try hard everyday to meet your sales goals, which is fair enough, but the lack of understanding that comes from management is unbearable. Not a place for people that do not have competitive personalities.
Amazing place to learn, have diversity, and has a positive attitude work place
sales (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 14, 2016
Interacting with so many different customers throughout the day.
Learned so many different ways to handle difficult situations, how to give the best customer service, and also what it means to give great customer service. Having to continually work weekends, holidays, and long shifts that went until late at night, it was hard to keep a work life balance.
Pros
401k, dental and health benefits
Cons
work life balance is difficult to manage.
Unproductive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 15, 2016
Nordstrom has a lot of great benefits but I would never work for the resturaunt part of nordstrom. The work environment is one of the worst. Lack of management and being threatened by an employee and management not doing anything is right to management.Employees talking about disturbing (personal explicit) events while on the clock is okay to management. Never work for a company that doesn't appreciate you as an employee! Having the total of 6 managers in one year that tells you a lot.
Pros
50 % off lunches
Cons
Lack of management, code of conduct and respect
Amazing Learning Experience
Fine, Fashion Jewelry & Watches Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CADecember 12, 2015
I learned a lot from Nordstrom. It was the battleground and effectively shaped me into the customer conscious and aware customer representative that I am today. This was also the point in my life where I worked the hardest for compensation that was not very competitive when compared to other comparable High end retailers. With ever increasing work loads and pressure to maintain increases for every year the company often times does not accept ebb and flow as a reality in the often volatile retail market.
Pros
Great learning, promote from within, good for little to no experience
Cons
Compensation, Expectations, Work Life Balance
Hautelook is Horrible
I.T (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 24, 2016
The DC is really nice and has a lot of technology . Management is HORRIBLE, the Highjump Processes are HORRIBLE and poorly written coding. There are no process flows so you don't actually now how any of the processes are supposed to work. It's ok with I.T directors that most Highjump processes don't work and require a ton of database fixing . Orders are always duplicated , over shipped, or forgotten about and no one cares to address the issues. There is little to no QA on coding changes, they are fine with putting in coding that doesn't work or causes more issues than it's supposed to fix. Hours are HORRIBLE as the place runs 24/7 365 and you can always be on call to fix something even after working a long shift. Benefits stink, they are really expensive and there are huge deductibles you have to pay. Your pay periods are not on set days, they fluctuate between a 4 days span so you are never sure when your pay check goes in this is due to commission at the stores and has nothing to do with the DC but they still pay you that way. Time off for vacation is very limited and same with sick days. I see no improvement at this place , it just keeps getting worse.
Pros
Nice Building
Cons
EVERYTHING
fast advancement, no respect for private life
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 21, 2015
Absolutely no work/life balance- forget ever seeing your family or friends again if you are a manager. Salaried managers work long hours with no overtime or compensation. Bonuses are based on business results which are sometimes out of your control. You can take a Saturday off every few months but must be approved months in advance and you'll still have to fight for it.

In order to advance past department manager you MUST move to Seattle where all corporate offices are.
Pros
Fast promotions, commission sales
Cons
long hours for managers, no work/life balance
Great Job but comes at a price.
Fulfillment Processor (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAJanuary 15, 2016
Working with Nordstrom ECFC was really nice. The pay was good, the co-workers from each department were very easy to get along with as well as the managers/supervisors. My only real complaint is that the hours start EXTREMELY early if you're first shift. You can start your shift as early as 4am. The opportunity to grow is very real with the annual raises based on performance and productivity initiative also their hiring process within the company.
Pros
good pay and nice people
Cons
very early starting times and feeling wore out at the end of the day
Great place to grow!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 9, 2016
You'll work hard and will have to think on your feet but it's a great company with lots of opportunity for promotion. You get to work with beautiful product in an ethical environment that really puts the customer first. The retail environment is evolving very quickly in response to customers' desire to shop in a variety of channels.
Pros
health care, 401K, comissioned sales environment
Cons
retail hours
Fun workplace with okay benefits, very stressful though
department manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 21, 2016
Nordstrom is a great company to work for. It has changed over the years. Not all changes are for the better. Nordstrom offers health benefits, only to full time employees, but hours aren't guaranteed. PTO is also accrued, but there are only several instances when you can actually take it. Pay is okay, but it isn't great. The amount of work to be done isn't reflected in your salary.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no job security, you accrue PTO but aren't always able to take it
Fast advancement, Inconsistent Management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2016
I've enjoyed working with the company, and have been fortunate to move fast. The biggest disappointment is the lack of communication and inconsistent management styles that make it difficult to adapt and move forward from position to position.
Pros
401k, Great compensation
Cons
Schedule
Much Better Retail Environment Than Most, But Still Has Problems
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 31, 2015
- Mundane and repetitive work environment.
- Only time change comes is during a customer problem/issue.
- Management expects workers to fully commit to the company; not
very flexible with personal life.
- Benefits unfairly held back until a year's worth of employment.
- Pay well above than minimum wage.
- Serious lack of resources not up to par with customer traffic.
Pros
Above than minimum wage; helpful coworkers.
Cons
Benefits only applied after one year anniversary (including holiday pay)
Fast paced and customer service driven
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMarch 14, 2016
I enjoyed working for Nordstrom. You are required to make daily sales goals as well as reach out to customers. diverse staff. management varies by department. hardest part of the job is meeting sales goals during slow periods. I loved customer interactions the most.
Pros
Health benifits.
Cons
not stable; schedualed hours based on business needs.