Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 4,301 reviews matching the search
Awesome work environment ....
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Short Pump, VAJanuary 11, 2017
This is a family oriented company from top to bottom. Meaning diversity is truly valued and it is possible to have a work family here while working towards a common goal. If anything, I wish there was more visibility to my own metrics and how I'm performing as a highly competitive individual in a base level role that is customer facing.

It is a pleasure to work and live "the Nordstrom Way". I would highly recommend this role to anyone who is looking for career advancement and a company that rewards honesty and hard work.
Pros
Great team work, upbeat environment
Cons
Low pay
My Experience at Nordstrom
Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles AreaJanuary 12, 2017
There is never a typical day at work. Nordstrom is not just your ordinary retail store. The services and products that they sell are of the highest quality. Management is present and promotes the "Open Door Policy". The hardest part of the job is working on holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job are the relationships you build with customers and the life-long friendships you create with fellow employees-including management.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Demanding
Fun, fast, opportunity land.
cook (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 6, 2017
Everyday was high energy, you had to be on your toes to be prepared for what ever is to come. In a kitchen, there was a high demand for production. I learned how to immerse myself in the culture around me being supportive and all about what the company has to offer. Working with others wasn't always easy because not everyone has the same vision. The hardest thing was having all that responsibility on my shoulders alone. In the end that was worked out and working along side others as they can give aid, made the entire job much easier. The most enjoyable part was being proactive and reaching for success.
Pros
Proactivity
Cons
Negative vibes
After a car accident
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  EbarJanuary 4, 2017
They have no! respect for their employees. Working there upon hiring I was promised wages that were not met. The moment they could not fire me they would take me to HR for clocking in 10 minutes early the week of Christmas. Its the holidays. Not to mention my car wreck happened when I was covering someone's shift for them and there was no compassion. I was met with inquiries, practically an investigation to determine whether II just did not want to come into work.
Pros
nothing reallly positive
Cons
noo amount of effort was enough for the team
Great community and well rounded team members
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at Nordstrom was just keeping the overall appearance clean while maintaining janitorial responsibilities including: replacing the trash and recycling of every cashier place, the trash cans leading out to the mall, and the bathrooms (public and employee). The employees there had an overall good attitude and were very nice to coworkers and customers. I enjoyed going around and meeting everyone, it was just a little difficult to manage work and school.
Shoe Salesman
Shoe Salesman (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 22, 2016
My job as a shoe salesman consist of reaching out to my customers, and letting them know about any of our new products. I would often have to compete for sales as well beacuse we all shared one floor, this taught me how too really be patient , persistant , and consistant. The work environment was really great, everyone was really motivated on making top dollar sales in there given department. Management however is shaky, there are constant managerial changes throughout the company which lead workers in the black as far as long future career oppurtonities go.
LOVED working for nordstrom
Assistant department manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 18, 2017
once you work for a company like nordstrom, it's hard to find a company as good as they are, or even worse it's hard to find a business you frequent that is as good as thier customer service is. It's a blessing and a curse to work for a company that values their employees so well, and teaches them how to be so good to thier customers, that not too many companies can compare to that. It really is an amazing place to work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
it's retail hours, enough said
No opportunity for advacement
Interim Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 19, 2016
You are in a sharktank working at nordstrom , the staff is very young very immature , its 100% commission based and the ability to progress in this company is virtualy non existant. I met some life long friends in the company I must say which outweights all the cons. Its definitely a stepping stone company to get your foot in the door in the world of sales.
Pros
No pros
Cons
100% commission, young management, inability to progress in the comapny, high turnover, no training
The worst company ever!!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2016
A typical day at Nordstrom is horrible. The managers that they hire for the position are not manger material. They do not listen to their employees unless you are friend , or if they like you.The mangers work you like crazy. My manger will give me eight tasks to do and it has to be completed by the end of my shift. My manger is not well organize and she does not know how to manage at all. T
The co-workers are extremely nice. I haven't had any problems with my co-workers. It is not the best company to work for.
Pros
Cons
work extremely long hours, making higher compensation, overtime, lack management, HR is pointless, no-life
Productive & Positive Work Environment
Rover (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 22, 2016
Positive environment in which people are encouraged to preform at their best & provide exceptional service. Working as a rover has helped me to further develop my ability to stay highly organized and efficient in fast-pace environments and when given multiple tasks to accomplish in a limited time-frame. I noticed that my co-workers tended to complain or be critical of management when it was unnecessary.
Pros
compensation
Cons
repetitive work
Nice Overall Work Experience
Warehouse Worker/Stager (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 7, 2017
Nordstrom is a family-oriented type of company. Working there, you are part of a team, and you will not be able to get the job done alone. Being a team member here has taught me the ins and outs of warehouse procedures and operations. There is a strong management team here who ensures that all employees concisely learn and have what they need to execute their jobs pleasantly and efficiently. My co-workers are all great and assist everyday at work going by smoothly. There's not really a hard part about the job, as long as you work quickly and remain on task. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to float to different departments to work and learn from all aspects of the board.
customer service
Manager of Point of View, Encore, Petites, Coats (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJanuary 9, 2017
customer service is excellent at Nordstrom . We realize that in order to have repeat business that we have to seperate our selves from the rest . Every store in the mall sell clothing some have the same merchandise that we have , so what are we doing better than them that would make them want to come back to us ? Customer service making sure that we are on the aisle with a smile , knowledgeable about the product and willing to answer question befor the purchase and after. We must follow up after the purchase .
Pros
salary, team
Cons
returns
It was fun before but its not anymore, the management got change and its not a friendly workplace anymore.
Accountant &Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 11, 2017
Discrimination by ethnicity is a bog thing at Nordstrom store at Bellevue, one of the manager is so flexible with a white skin but very hard on a brown skinner. Never felt like it before while working for this company before.They always focus on open door policy, but its not an open door policy. Its really hard to move if your manager is not referring. Every promotion happened by referrals.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
short breaks, discrimination by your colors.
Fun company to work for. Definitely a life style job.
Buyer, Manager and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 18, 2017
I truly enjoyed helping customers at Nordstrom. I learned that by providing excellent customer service I was able to develope a customer base that would come in and shop with me over and over. Nordstrom would promote employees within. I worked my way up the sales ladder from top department sales to department manager and then to department Buyer. My hard work and perseverance paid off at a very young age. Thank you Nordstrom!
Great team
Women Shoes (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Overall I would come back to Nordstrom my manager was great, and the team I worked with was awesome!
My manager was very understanding of the people we had on the floor, for any request we had he always tried to approve them if it was possible. The team i got to work with was very honest, helpful of each other since we were commission based only.
I use to be a cashier in which months after I got promoted to be a sales person which is big for the shoes department in my opinion because everyone wants to sell shoes.
Pros
Holiday, sales great d
Cons
Dry months for commission can set you back
Nordstrom
Nordstrom Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Nordstrom is a grate company who I'm proud to work for. Nordstrom had taught me good work ethic, respect for all types of people, how to engage with just about anyone in conversation. I am very independent, self starter and I owe most of my discipline to Nordstrom being that when you work hard you are compensated accordingly.
Pros
Compensation and perks throughout the year when meeting sales goals
Cons
Schedule includes working weekends and holidays
Your experience will be both location and department specific
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 12, 2016
A great company and a horrible one based on location and department. There is just as much truth to a 1 star review as a 5. I know 4 different stores first hand. Make sure you ask questions on your interview , ask to be introduced to some of your future teammates and ask for a quick look at the department before you accept an offer. No good interviewing manager will be bothered by any of this, infact they will most likely be enthusiastic at your interest.
Pros
Potential to make a lot of money in commision, 95% internal promotion
Cons
Retail hours, all stores and departments are not equal
Fun working environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2016
I learned a lot about different fashion trends and what's hot and in season. I really enjoyed engaging with the customers on a day-to-day basis because customer service is very important for a successful shopping experience. A typical day at work included to build up sale goals and accomplish working in an environment with people that have different styles of fashion and interests.
Pros
Dressing up at work, wearing makeup, and enjoying the mall on my lunch breaks
Cons
parking was not free
Loved working at Nordstrom,very fun environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL,Boca Raton,FlDecember 12, 2016
My experience with Nordstrom was great,employees are very friendly,everyone's willing to help you with questions,your problems are their problems,managers and store managers are willing to listen and help you figure things out,very professional,environment positive,your able to move up the ladder,I have nothing negative to say about Nordstrom
Pros
they're willing to work with you on your schedule
Cons
don't have comments on tgis subject
Fun work environment with opportunities to grow in company.
Retail Sales/Personal Styling (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, CODecember 28, 2016
The best part of my job was the customer interactions, I love people so this was the perfect job for me! A normal day at work involved pulling clothes for customers and putting looks together or helping them shop for business trips, vacations, etc. Overall it is a great company to work for with a lot of diversity. The hardest part of this job is the returns since we work on commission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.