Nordstrom Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,745 reviews matching the search
Overall, a wonderful job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 3, 2016
I love my job. It's easy and challenging in different ways - making coffee/specialty drinks has become second nature, same with taking orders and completing tasks. The only difficult part about my job is dealing with rude customers (surprisingly, the majority of nasty customers I deal with are nordstrom employees also - sales associates and even a few department managers). You've really gotta learn to bite your tongue and just smile and nod, give them a refund and tell them to have a great day. That being said, there are so so soooo many more kind, genuine customers that I interact with every single day. Espresso Bar management (at least where I work) is great - my boss is accommodating and always really understanding. My coworkers are great too (but again, maybe it's just luck that we all get along well). Overall a great place to work - you get a raise every 1000 hours you work, and there are plenty of opportunities for moving up.
Pros
Raise every 1000 hours, great discount, free coffee during your shift
Cons
Sales associates look down on you and can be extremely rude
Worth 20 years
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJanuary 31, 2016
I held different titles, so the experience can not be categorized into a short summary. I had lots of fun in the beginning, and braved through a lot of changes. The mantra is do more with less every year. Combining job titles and responsibilities closed many pathways to a promotion. Nordstrom use to promote from within, now they hire interns without experience to run the departments after they "graduate"a training course. Needless to say the Nordstrom culture has suffered. The employees care about one another, but there are always going to be some bad apples that can't get fired. The hardest part of the job is knowing that bad customers are treated better than good employees. Nordstrom has great benefits, and they are ahead of other retailers when it comes to technology, and customer service. If I had a choice of staying with Nordstrom or going to another retailer. I would pick Nordstrom everytime.
Benefits
Cons
Promotions
Great benefits but grueling work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 13, 2016
I have worked at Nordstrom for over five years and the company needs a lot of work. When I put stars next to categories it's tough to see what I mean, but having a social life and family is nearly impossible. The compensation is great if you try hard everyday to meet your sales goals, which is fair enough, but the lack of understanding that comes from management is unbearable. Not a place for people that do not have competitive personalities.
Productive and fun work environment
Accessories and Sunglasses Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 26, 2016
Nordstrom is an amazing company to be a part of. You meet amazing individuals as coworkers who make the day fly by. Its a build your own business so be prepared to make connections with customers and build upon them for events. Department Managers are always looking to promote their employees through the Future Nordstrom Leader Program and will happily nominate hard workers with a great, positive attitude. The hardest part of the job is working on commission. Be competitive, build your business and your clientele but do not steal sales or jump on to anothers' sale unless asked. Doing those things will create a bad atmosphere between coworkers and the department. Promotional opportunities will become more available, the better the team works together. The most enjoyable part of the job is honestly being in Nordstrom. You learn new styles, new trends and get to see everything firsthand.
Pros
Promotional opportunities, genuine open door policies, Upper management is always available
Cons
Commission pay
Poor Management and Unreasonable
Fulfillment Agent (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 31, 2016
Management is pretty horrible overall. They require you to call in everyday to check your own schedule to see if any changes, it should be the other way around the employer calling the employee. They don't know what to do when conveyors jam up or stall. Expect to hit minimum goal when they don't provide the work. To get promoted you have to be their favorite don't matter how hard you work, its how well you appeal to them. Don't let some late arrivals some breaks even with some reasonable excuses even with proof. Overall the warehouse its like high school with teachers pets and getting punished for been late just a few minutes and expecting the employee to know when their scheduled to work.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Managemennt and Attendance system
Amazing Learning Experience
Fine, Fashion Jewelry & Watches Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CADecember 12, 2015
I learned a lot from Nordstrom. It was the battleground and effectively shaped me into the customer conscious and aware customer representative that I am today. This was also the point in my life where I worked the hardest for compensation that was not very competitive when compared to other comparable High end retailers. With ever increasing work loads and pressure to maintain increases for every year the company often times does not accept ebb and flow as a reality in the often volatile retail market.
Pros
Great learning, promote from within, good for little to no experience
Cons
Compensation, Expectations, Work Life Balance
Loved working here
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2016
I worked for Nordstrom for 6 years. I loved it there and still consider it one of the best places I have ever worked. I worked on the support side in many different roles at both The Rack and the full line store. Unfortunately, my last position moved to Seattle and I tried to get many other support positions before I eventually left the company. I have considered going back over the years, but I make more now doing similar tasks for another company. I did receive some great experience there though and highly recommend working for the company if you are just starting out.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Support jobs have caps that you reach quickly. Raises based on time there, not personal performance.
fast advancement, no respect for private life
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 21, 2015
Absolutely no work/life balance- forget ever seeing your family or friends again if you are a manager. Salaried managers work long hours with no overtime or compensation. Bonuses are based on business results which are sometimes out of your control. You can take a Saturday off every few months but must be approved months in advance and you'll still have to fight for it.

In order to advance past department manager you MUST move to Seattle where all corporate offices are.
Pros
Fast promotions, commission sales
Cons
long hours for managers, no work/life balance
Embracing change can be tough
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 19, 2015
It's a fun place to work and I've met a lot of really great people through the company. Nordstrom as well as many retailers is going through major changes by eliminating positions and reallocating money to new stores. The work life balance isn't great, but it is retail so that can be expected. Management can be good, but there's a lot of favoritism, so be on upper managements good side or else it'll be difficult to get promoted. The pay for department managers and assistants is below average and after awhile it's hard to not be discouraged by low wages. It's an easy job to sell people nice things and you learn skills that can transfer into just about any other career.
Pros
401k match
Cons
No work life balance
Great place to grow!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 9, 2016
You'll work hard and will have to think on your feet but it's a great company with lots of opportunity for promotion. You get to work with beautiful product in an ethical environment that really puts the customer first. The retail environment is evolving very quickly in response to customers' desire to shop in a variety of channels.
Pros
health care, 401K, comissioned sales environment
Cons
retail hours
Fast-paced, fun people, unsustainable.
MAC Cosmetics Retail Makeup Artist, Pacesetter (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAMarch 16, 2016
Nordstrom believes in amazing customer service. While that absolutely benefits the customer, it made providing excellent service difficult in a full time position when the cosmetics price points aren't huge and when the company offers free returns, no questions asked, which affects an employee's commission. I couldn't justify selling makeup, which I care a lot about, to customers who didn't have the same respect for the products and could easily return unsellable product back at any time. No boundaries with customers meant, in some cases, unreasonable expectations for service. In addition, cosmetics customers could expect a full makeup service without any fee, using up employee's time without fair compensation, unlike in a salon setting. My coworkers all had great attitudes and served the customer on their terms, empowered to use good judgement at all times. I acknowledge my management team's persistence, ability to provide feedback in the moment, and focused attitudes.
Pros
Employee discount, benefits
Cons
Variable schedule
Great Retail Experience
SALES ASSOCIATE/MAKEUP ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Alderwood, WAFebruary 1, 2016
Overall, Nordstrom provided me with a stable and satisfying job in the cosmetics department. My daily tasks were many, mostly having to do with keeping my "numbers" up. That could mean appointment numbers, sales numbers, or customer rewards numbers. I would do this through customizing my leeson style makeup appointments with clients and then inviting them back for future events, building a clientele. With how busy my location was, a big part of my job was working with team members to make sure customers were getting quality service and experience. I cleaned, stocked, and organized inventory daily as well. We also had a personal customer book software that I would utilize to make phone calls to previous customers. Occasionally, there would be conflict between employees and unaccommodating or uncomfortable communication with management. Thankfully, I was largely unaffected by those experiences.
Pros
Good Compensation, Good Benefits, Good Work Environment
Cons
Drama
laid back energy!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I was hired to be apaprt of the opening in Emeryville! Work/Life balance is pretty good as well as management treated me as an equal! It truly brought out the meaning teamwork working there! Although I was release and able to be re-hired at anytime, I would not mind going back working for the company! Best job experince I've had in my retail career!
Pros
Staff, Hours, Pay
Cons
short breaks
Awesome culture, not so awesome advancement/pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJanuary 5, 2016
Nordstrom has exceptional managers and overall employee training and processes for a retail company. I cannot say that there are many days that I came home in a worse mood than when I left. Being retail, job security is not great and unless you make an effort to network advancing to corporate office is not easy and can take a bit longer than you are willing to endure.

Retail hours also provide little work life balance; you work weekends, holidays are your busiest time, and you can be called in to cover for other people on a regular basis. That being said you will work with a lot of awesome people experiencing the same thing and can easily make friends which makes work more enjoyable.

Great for a first job, will learn a lot from a well respected company
Pros
Discount, Laid Back Atmosphere, High Energy Workplace
Cons
Hours/Scheduling, Advancement, Pay
Okay place to start off at.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 21, 2016
Nordstrom has the potential to be the greatest department store anyone can work for. Just a little attention to detail when it comes to management, and all will be fine!

Job security/advancement is what i gave the lowest rating too. Hours will be taken from you with no advance notice, so beware. great job for college students or someone with less responsibilities, but if you work to live, be advised that you can go from 35 hours a week (full time) to 22 hours a week. good luck!
A call center unlike any call center you have every worked at.
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 29, 2016
A great place to work for a call center. Management is extremely helpful. Advancement is based on individual performance. Co-workers are all willing to help out. A typical day consisted of answering inbound calls and resolving customers concerns. Management believes in a one call resolution approach, not how many calls you can take in a day. Give out a lot of perks for not missing work and/or helping out with overtime as needed.
Pros
Great place to work, with a nice employee discount.
Cons
It's a call center, so weekends are more than likely required.
Unproductive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 15, 2016
Nordstrom has a lot of great benefits but I would never work for the resturaunt part of nordstrom. The work environment is one of the worst. Lack of management and being threatened by an employee and management not doing anything is right to management.Employees talking about disturbing (personal explicit) events while on the clock is okay to management. Never work for a company that doesn't appreciate you as an employee! Having the total of 6 managers in one year that tells you a lot.
Pros
50 % off lunches
Cons
Lack of management, code of conduct and respect
Amazing place to learn, have diversity, and has a positive attitude work place
sales (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 14, 2016
Interacting with so many different customers throughout the day.
Learned so many different ways to handle difficult situations, how to give the best customer service, and also what it means to give great customer service. Having to continually work weekends, holidays, and long shifts that went until late at night, it was hard to keep a work life balance.
Pros
401k, dental and health benefits
Cons
work life balance is difficult to manage.
Magnificent Work Enviroment
Sales Associate for Nordstrom Specialty Store (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJDecember 29, 2015
Nordstrom, a high end retail specialty store gives all sales associates the tools to create their own business. Building customers relations is the number one priority at Nordstrom. Inviting customers back is also the key to their success. Nordstrom doesn't rely on foot traffic so customer relations is a top priority for all sales associates. With all the top designers present , their designer training courses is a regular event for Nordstrom associates. Product knowledge and the tools to share it with customers makes Nordstrom a step ahead of the competition.
Pros
Advancement to Management positions open to all associates
Cons
Relocation is a must for management positions
Diverse work culture; learn a lot
Wedding Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 24, 2015
Coming from a very specialized "department," I don't feel I truly work in retail. My position at Nordstrom is much more career-oriented and elevated than a typical salesperson. I've learned a lot in my time there, and continue to learn each day. That being said, I believe no matter what department, employees have a true passion for what they do at Nordstrom - much more than other retailers. Nordstrom is great to their employees - with good benefits, understanding management, and the "open door policy" very much alive and well. Everyone is there to help you succeed not only in your current role, but with whatever you see in your future as well.