Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 3,972 reviews matching the search
Happy Positive Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UT 84025September 25, 2016
This is a great place to work. There is always a positive work environment with a lot of opportunity for advancement. Day to day work is managed well. And if you like being active the shoe department is for you.
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 25, 2016
This company really pushes you to be yourself while driving sales. They have one rule in the beginning of the training which is to use your best judgement. Although it seems like a vague guideline it really forces you to make the best call in any given situation. There is never nothing to do. Either you're driving sales, contacting recurring customers, or reviewing shipments..it is never boring. This job taught me how to push myself even when I thought I couldn't, especially since it was a commission based position.
Pros
Great environment
Typical retail job
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 22, 2016
Typical retail position. Working on commission is fair as you get paid for the efforts that you put in. Minimal opportunity for advancement.
you do want to work at Nordstroms
Sales PersonWomen's Apparel (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2016
a typical day at work is having a great attitude with a smile at all times, always engage with the customer to satisfy their needs. I learned that when you love what your doing the customer loves the experience of the service that day. Management is there everyday making sure business is running accordingly. My co-workers are great, working with a team of great people all out to meet the same goal. Team work makes the dream work and hard work pays off. I would have to honestly say that there is no hard part. anything is achievable as long as your strong enough to move forward. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are setting an example for everyone around you and that your superiors notice your hard work and thank after each and every shift.
Pros
excellent job, flexible schedule, great people, great merchandise, programs to further your career within the company
Cons
pay could be better, and sometimes the store can be a little unorganized
Customer Service and Salesperson
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILSeptember 22, 2016
had fun working with others, always had group projects, and got along well with customers. managers did not give credit when it was do.
It's not what it once was
Visual Merchandising Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WASeptember 21, 2016
Decisions made based on a lack of understanding of any part of the company that isn't directly tied to sales numbers has resulted in a company that is much more short-sighted and difficult to work for than it was when I first started four years ago.
Management in an fast paced customer service based job
Men's & Kids' Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2016
A typical day as a manager is to take a look at what merchandise to expect coming in on the truck and where and how you are going to merchandise that visually. Also you assign tasks to your employees and assign breaks and lunch time. Then you check e-mails, make sure you haven't missed any communication between you and your buyers, regionals and other regions of the company.

What you learn in management is never ending, but some of the most important things are time-management, patience, delegating tasks, communication with others, how to work in heels! haha

The hardest part of the job is having a bad sales day or taking criticism. Firing people or giving out bad reviews is always hard.
Of course the best part of the job is seeing customers walk away happy, productive employees and overall a successful number driven department.
Unstable work environment for Technology
Recovery Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 21, 2016
Nordstrom was initially a great place to work, however, the culture has changed drastically along with the new upper management. Sever layoffs and a complete change of the way technology runs has made working in Nordstrom Technology difficult.
Pros
Transit assistance up to $100, profit sharing through 401K
Cons
Unstable environment
Very fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2016
It was great learning about new things. Very competitive environment. I just didn't agree with working on the holidays. Management made it very easy for you to excel.
Pros
FREE LUNCH ON SALE DATES
Cons
I HATED WORKING ON SUNDAYS
A top place to work and you can make it a careeer.
Manage/Sales (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 20, 2016
Customer service was main goal, either you had it or you did't. Nice retirement program. A variety of departments to work in. You can move up in company. A person was allowed to transfer to another store in another state if they liked.
Pros
There was a lunch room.Friends for life.
Cons
Sometimes you did't get a break.
great first sales job, quick easy money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 20, 2016
long, professional, friendly environment while competitive, terrible or great management. great high energy, highly motivated, very welcoming sales team
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA 22102September 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at Nordstrom. I met different people everyday. I really enjoyed working with the team. Nordstrom does a great job recognizing their employees. However, it was commission based.
Excellent Commission Based Employer
Luxury Sales Associate- Womenswear (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 18, 2016
Nordstrom is a great starting job for any fashion/retail graduate. Management was very easy to work with. The job is commission based, so it can be stressful to work with other employees when you are constantly competing for sales. Nordstrom rewards employees with promotions.
Pros
Excellent company to grow with, nice pay
Cons
Can be a somewhat cutthroat work environment depending on employees and location
simple sales job
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 17, 2016
i loved my management and i enjoyed the freedom i had, not the hardest job. it didnt have room to grow-good job through college as it was simple and flexible.
Great cliental at Nordstrom and amazing relationships with customers.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94102September 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be fulfilling any orders from other stores and shipping them out. As well as greeting customers, fulfilling their needs. At Nordstrom, I learned how to better communicate and gain patience with co-workers and customers. The hardest part of the job was telling my customers that we did not have an item they wanted in store. I try to order the item from another store or from nordstrom online, but a lot of people do not like ordering from online. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the connections I made with co-workers but more importantly the connections I made with customers that loved my customer service. It made me feel good that I was doing my job well.
Retail
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PASeptember 15, 2016
I worked for that company for 6 years. Through good and bad. In 2009 business was still booming. pay was very adequate for commission base. Then it started to decline and the store structure changed. They offered customers a easier home shopping experience. Which cut off our commission. Very fun place to work, met some great people. Friends till this day, non of which are still employed by this company
Pros
Discount
Different Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHSeptember 15, 2016
This job was definitely a different learning experience. I had never worked in the food industry so it was good experience. I learned about different food products, menus, and food ordering. I did meet a lot of different peoples.
Pros
We had lunch stipend we could spend $ 10
Cons
A lot of standing
Dont' let you lure you in their lies.
Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2016
When you start working from training they do tell you it is great company, we care about our people, it is open door policy,

In six months time frame I did see 2 assistant dept. managers gone, and five people who worked as counter mangers quit.
You don't get unpaid lunch for an hour that you have to take, two fifteen minutes brakes that no one is able to take.
If you ever get any gift as reward on opening their accounts they will tax you. Imagine working on commission and all you sell when it is returned will be subtracted from your check.
There is a lot of favor ism in company, You will be run by managers who mostly don't have basic human and management skills.

Best part of work is helping customers, and meeting a lot of cool personalities that I worked with.

Day will consist, light cleaning, you will be moving a lot of displays on daily basic, merchandising, doing all reports and scheduling, being responsible for sales goals ( that are far from realistic), you will not have any decision on hiring new people, basically even if you have manager title you will be not making any decision. They will make you call people and bug over phone about upcoming sales when it is slow time. They don't care do customers like calls or not.

No matter how good in sells you are and hard worker if you don't obey their way of thinking you are gone.

No job security, everything is one big lie, they start hiring kids from HS since professional people run away soon they find something else.

Thinks twice and be aware.
Pros
cool people to work with, dealing with customers
Cons
Bad uneducated management, commission
Fashion retailer is as good on the inside as it appears from the outside
Men's Designer Omni-Channel Buyer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 14, 2016
Maniacal focus on the customer experience
Corporate culture is based on legacy and growing up through org
Smart co-workers who are passionate about product and retail
Growth potential in various areas of the company
Entrepreneurial spirit is pervasive
Merchant-driven
Marketing is not prioritized
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Legacy-driven
A fulfilling place to work and grow
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 14, 2016
Nordstrom has embraced a very positive employee / customer focused culture that has allowed individuals to grow and add value on multiple levels. There has been a desire to promote from within but also a desire to seek out experience and knowledge from outside the company and industry.