Nordstrom Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,821 reviews matching the search
Great For Someone who Loves Sales
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJuly 18, 2016
My typical work day begins with going over daily sales goals and event goals. I help a lot of customers and make phone calls to get customers to come in and shop with me. There is a really high turnover in management. Im my two years of working there I had 4 department managers. It not easy to get promoted either. I believe it easier to come in as a manager.
Pros
discount, coworkers, fun products
Cons
healthcare, pay schedule, event goals
Enjoyed it for a while
Store Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 8, 2016
The company has great values. They just need to do a better job with the people that they pick to run things. Worked at two different stores where management was immature and not helpful. If you can suck up you can get promoted, you don't have to know anything about the job that you are going for. People that they hire are not autonomous in their work efforts. They have to constantly be supervised, managers included. There is also a blame game that they play, no one takes responsibility for anything. The pay could also be better, it is not worth the stress.
Pros
Great values from the company itself, opportunities to be promoted.
Cons
Need to do a better job of hiring people to be in charge, pay.
Fast pace environment to work. loved it. pretty much like being your own boss at times
Customer service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 7, 2016
A very fun day at work will consist of bringing a smile in every single customer face i assist in choosing the perfect outfits for whatever occasion. love love love the interactions with customers getting to know them in a short time and servicing them is a very rewarding feeling. In doing so i will sometimes get co workers to give an opinion when needed to reassure my client. From time i will get my manager involved in speeding us-special orders, or waiving expedite shipping fees.
Pros
amazing pay for hard working associate
Working with Nordstrom in Garden City is fun and a learning experience.
Inventory Processor (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 4, 2016
Working as Inventory Processor is a learning experience for me to appreciate the hard work done by merchandizer and the like,..working at Nordstrom is fullfilling all the hardwork we have done are well compensated, we are recognized and appreciated for our job done. Everybody is treated equal. The HR are all approachable.
Pros
Learning experience to deal with different kinds of people from all walks of life.
Cons
sometimes they have to cut hours and another problem is distance from where I used to live
You say for the people you meet
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 28, 2016
The job can be fun and like any place what you make of it. You meet some great people and some not so great people but that and nepotism are everywhere. But like any big company no matter what they say you are just an employee and a dollar sign. The commission is hard especially when if a customer returns anything they deduct it from your sales. Well when the customers can wear and return anything they will, and you will have to take the hit for it when you sold the item like you were suppose to. You get a base salary but you have to sell to hit your own goals and you don't have much time for that. As the company evolves we'll see what happens. It use to be a great place to work.
Pros
People
Cons
Condesending Managers, Retail Hours, Irate Customers
Productive and competetive work environment!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2016
Working at Nordstrom was a fun and active work experience that I believed allowed me to learn several things about customer service and appreciating each person who would come in. The co-workers were very friendly and helpful as I began working. In a position that offered commission based pay, allowed me to strive to work harder to meet my own personal daily goals. This was both the hardest and most enjoyable element of working for Nordstrom.
Make your own paycheck!
Personal Stylist (Individualist Department) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2016
Great sought-after company, commission based so it's up to you to make your own paycheck. Easy job if you like to sell, make connections with customers, and have an open schedule. Will be difficult for you if you are not friendly, don't have a helping heart, and let things get to you easily.
Pros
Great co-workers, accommodating managers, fun environment
Cons
On your feet all day, occasional demanding customers, sometimes don't make commission
Nordstrom
Sales Consultant and Display Designer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Nordstrom's as I was in the Home Department and it was an exciting area as we all need new linens, house wares and the opportunity to change our homes from season to season.

I was top sales lady for selling our beds then they would also buy the accessories to go along with it.

Co-Workers were nice and helpful

The hardest part of my job was working the evening shifts

The most enjoyable part of my job was selling the products and customers left with smiles, as customer service is a big part of me as I deliver the product and the advantages of it and then the customer makes the final decision.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Always were sent replacements while we were at lunch or a break
Solid company, invests and promotes from within, great benefits
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJune 6, 2016
Best company that I have had the privilege of working for. The compensation is generous for the work that we are expected to give. The company really wants the employees to grow and provide several avenues to climb down the ladder depending on where you'd like to go. Commission based salary can get competitive, but the business is healthy so it's not difficult to make good money.
Worst Job Experience that I have ever had!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 31, 2016
NORDSTROM RACK CASCADE PLAZA BEAVERTON--I was sat in a dark room in front of a tv to watch a video on my first day, had minimal training after that. Was ignored by other obviously,unhappy staff, had no guidance, basically felt like I was wandering the store at times. The General Manager at the time was lovely and very good to me, but the management under her in various departments were just plain terrible. The worst, most depressing job experience I have ever had! So thankful when the Christmas Season ended and I was excused. They do have great discounts, but I refuse to even shop there!
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Unwelcoming environment, uncomfortable people, negative leadership.
Great Workplace with Great Co-Workers
WEB FULFILLER (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 29, 2016
A typical day at work would be very independent and I loved this about my position and time at Nordstrom. I learned a lot about the way products are shipped to those that order merchandise from certain companies. The management as well as my co-workers made the day go by so fast and the work environment phenomenal. The hardest part of the job was getting frustrated when unable to locate a certain product in the store. The most enjoyable part were the employees I was hired on with and getting the chance to work at a very prestigious department store.
Great Staff and fun to work with
Wedding Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 26, 2016
I organize and set up for my customers for the day by preparing for my appointments. I learn something new everyday because they bridal world is constantly changing. My managers are fun and easy to work with. They are always willing to listen and help out in any way. My co-works are just like my managers always there when i need them. We are team players. The hardest part of my job would be having to turn down a customers because they don't have an appointment. In bridal, appointments are required and come first. The best part of my day is when i make a customer happy and she finds her perfect dress. This truly makes my day!
Fun but sometimes competitive environment
BP Fashion Board Member/Employee (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 25, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working for Nordstrom. It was a very fun job and I was constantly learning new things about running a major department store! I do have to say that the environment between sales people can be a little competitive sometimes because pay is mainly commission based. Also, my department was constantly getting new managers so sometimes things didn't run as smoothly as they could have. Overall, Nordstrom is an amazing company that taught me so much about the retail industry!
Definitely for people with a passion for fashion
Service Experience (Current Employee) –  MDMay 30, 2016
Nordstrom is a fast paced company with many great benefits. The most enjoyable part of working at Nordstrom is feeling satisfied with making customers happy. However management is definitely an opportunity, for every single Nordstrom store that I've worked at. if you think you can handle the customers, and management then id say go for it!
benefits
Cons
management, no work life balance, sales.
Best ever clients
Sales POV, Petite, Encore (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 22, 2016
The biggest asset to Nordstrom as a company is it's customers. The clientele that Nordstrom attracts is quite desirable. It creates a pleasant work environment that is welcoming to me each and every day. They are what drives my business and keeps me engaged.

Nordstrom is a reputable company known highly for their quality merchandise and more importantly their customer service. I service the customer to the highest standard and in return, create a client based business that benefits everyone.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Commission only
Good job
Women's Department/ Fitting room attendent (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 17, 2016
Fun, decent place to work. My only complaints are that it is really hard to get time off and they aren't very flexible with scheduling. My coworkers were great, the store manager was pretty accommodating and understanding. Nordstrom takes great care of their employees and it's fairly easy to move up in the company.
Pros
Good company, nice people you work with, good compensation
Cons
Hard to get time off
I Will forever love this job
Retail Stock and Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2016
I worked for Nordstrom for almost 5 years, it was the best company that i've ever worked for. the managers are amazing the owners are involved and it basically feels more like a family than a company. The take care of their employees and they make sure that you are recognized if you deserve to be. They will keep an employee before a manager if the manager is a "bad egg" this company will weed out the bad in order to only have goood.
Pros
this job is more like a family and over all i would recommend this job to anyone.
Cons
it can take some time to get rid of all of the weeds
Work hard for an O-K paycheck
Sales Associate/ Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 18, 2016
All departments pay rate are different, but majority are commission based. In order to receive a good pay check you must sell A-LOT! But don't get comfortable, if whatever you sold is returned, then that amount is deducted on your next pay check. This was never told to any of the employees while the hiring process. It was hard making a living while working in a "low volume" store. The store itself was ok, but management are very unfair and will have you scanning RACK and doing assistants job on a busy weekend when you could be selling the most. I loved what I did, but for the over all it was very inconvenient. Ask them about their turnover rate, that will tell you much.
Fun job, friendly coworkers, needy costumers
Shoe Shine (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHMay 19, 2016
Come in open up the stand and wipe down my area. Greet costumers as they enter the store. I learned how to be more open and costumer oriented. Management wasn't stable and the rarely promoted from within the store. The coworkers were cool but they gossip like its a high school. The hardest part about the job was staying busy during the slow times. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends and building relationships with the costumers.
Pros
Tips
Cons
No lunch breaks
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 26, 2016
On your feet for 8 hours, but received a one hour meal break every day. It was a lovely place to meet people from all over the world. I also enjoyed meeting representatives from other vendors while working there. Customers love this store & appreciate a price matched sale with other competitors. Associates & management were pleasant to work with.
Pros
Hour meal breaks, friendly & diverse work environment
Cons
Inconsistency in sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.