Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Found 4,430 reviews matching the search
Nordstrom
Nordstrom Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Nordstrom is a grate company who I'm proud to work for. Nordstrom had taught me good work ethic, respect for all types of people, how to engage with just about anyone in conversation. I am very independent, self starter and I owe most of my discipline to Nordstrom being that when you work hard you are compensated accordingly.
Pros
Compensation and perks throughout the year when meeting sales goals
Cons
Schedule includes working weekends and holidays
Productive & Positive Work Environment
Rover (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 22, 2016
Positive environment in which people are encouraged to preform at their best & provide exceptional service. Working as a rover has helped me to further develop my ability to stay highly organized and efficient in fast-pace environments and when given multiple tasks to accomplish in a limited time-frame. I noticed that my co-workers tended to complain or be critical of management when it was unnecessary.
Pros
compensation
Cons
repetitive work
Unstable work environment for Technology
Recovery Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 21, 2016
Nordstrom was initially a great place to work, however, the culture has changed drastically along with the new upper management. Sever layoffs and a complete change of the way technology runs has made working in Nordstrom Technology difficult.
Pros
Transit assistance up to $100, profit sharing through 401K
Cons
Unstable environment
easy
Specialist/Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAFebruary 14, 2017
The job was easy and the pay was okay. Management needs to help out more besides sitting in the back. The discount should be more than 20%. For the amout of work that we do we should get a raise.
Productive, fun, competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day at Nordstrom included opening the store, leaning, fixing fixtures, and preparing the dressing rooms for customer. I learned at Nordstrom that most customers just want someone to understand their needs and try to accomodate them as much as possible. Co-workers are either friends or enemies because of the competitive drive everyone has for clients.
Pros
401k, flexible hours, commission
Cons
competition
Productive and diverse environment
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 14, 2017
Nordstrom provides a ton of room for growth and advancement within the company. Over the years I've worked for Nordstrom i have been promoted over six times in which four were management positions.

I am currently looking to venture out of retail and focus more on administrative functions and customer solutions.
Pros
Promoting within the company
Cons
Lack of moral
Decent place to work
Customer Service Rep/Packer (Former Employee) –  Glen Helen parkway San Bernardino, CaFebruary 9, 2017
It was a pretty decent place to work but the management is terrible. Many of them played favorites and singled out other hard working employees for their own personal reasons. Management was highly unprofessional and didn't really care about the employees unless they shared some type of personal relationship.
Pros
Good health insurance & benefits
Cons
Management is highly unprofessional
Great Job
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2017
Great place to work.

Great work life balance/Family feel. You can create your own career path. Compensation could be better. I have learned to style flex in this role.
A typical day at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work consists of hard work that is not acknowledged or appreciated. I noticed while working, employees sit in the back room on their phones and get angry when you ask for help on the floor (even though they are clocked in and supposed to be working.) Most employees that work at Nordstrom in any department have been there for years and are very exclusive. The workplace culture is one that is not welcoming and actually quite rude to any new staff members. Even the department managers were displaying favorites and would not include new staff in open conversations. On multiple occasions, I was left at the cash register by myself while the lines were out of control (the employees on duty would be taking it easy on their phones in the back stock room.) Customers would approach me, furious, explaining they could not find any sales staff on the floor to help them find products and then leave without buying anything. I would not recommend working at Nordstrom, you are not appreciated and it is very difficult to move up or move to another department. Also, not that this is a crucial component to working there, but the discount is very low.
Pros
Good employment for first job
Cons
Benefits, low discount, staff members are very rude and not welcoming
Good place to work that pays well.
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 20, 2016
Good place to work that pays well. Management has an open door policy that is inviting to new ideas and concerns. Unfortunately this is still a retail job and layoffs can happen based on ups and downs of the retail market. Instead of hiring new staff during the busiest times of the year they instead force employees to work 6 and 7 day work weeks.
Pros
Above-average compensation
Cons
Long hours, mandatory overtime and job security fluctuates with retail ups and downs.
Positive & Rewarding Work Environment
Senior Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Nordstrom was one of the best companies that I worked for. The environment is consistently positive with supportive management. The company is always encouraging employees to excel and grow within the company. Many opportunities are available.
Cons
Salary
Excellent place to work but difficult time for retail
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 27, 2016
If you want to work in retail, Nordstrom is the place to be. The culture is extremely positive and the associates are outstanding. You are in a position to go above and beyond to assist every customer.

The most difficult part of the job comes from declining foot traffic in store. At a time when the customer can order from home and receive free shipping, fewer and fewer customers actually visit the store. There is immense pressure to call customers to restock their items previously purchased in order to make sales goals. The job is becoming more about telemarketing than face-to-face customer service. Declining in store sales make it difficult for the employees when the motto is "the more you sell, the more you make." Fewer sales mean less commission and less hours during each pay period because management will send employees home early on slow days. It is important to know that full-time can mean 32 hours only and part-time hours can vary significantly from one pay period to the next.
Pros
Outstanding culture and co-workers
Cons
Telemarketing, pressure to make high sales goals, limited hours
Productive , Strict , Fast-paced
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAAugust 25, 2016
I learned a lot at my time at Nordstrom. I worked on commission so i was encourage build relationships with customers so they felt more comfortable shopping with me. I worked in the children's department, which one wouldn't think is the best but i made it work. I learned how to deal with parents and their children. Knowing how to talk to people was extremely important skill to have and i picked up on it very quickly. I was very close with my coworkers. We were more like a family and they always kept a smile on my face even on the hardest days. The management was good. Sometimes we (the coworkers) and them wouldn't see eye to eye but they always had the best intentions for everyone. A typical day there would be first completing whatever pre-selling task in the stock room for about 30 mins. Then I'd talk to the manager about my numbers and see how much i have to sell for the day to get the paycheck i want. After that i get to selling until the end of my shift giving the best service i could possibly give.
Pros
Long Breaks, pay, benefits
Cons
long days
Full Line Department Stores
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 24, 2017
I have worked in the Department stores for 11.5 years. Started out as a good job with good benefits. It has become pretty tough with erratic scheduling and 0 work-life balance. The training has also become impractical and ineffective.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance, bad training
Overall Supportive
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2017
When you walk into the office you are set up for success as you have your own work space with a computer and phone. You are always surrounded by your peers who are either on the same team or in a different department. At Nordstrom feeling empowered when making decisions was always encouraged. Management was always changing due to people always moving to different departments and or moving up in the company. Management were also very encouraging and supportive when it came down to moving departments or moving up the company ladder.

Answering calls from customers and working with customers within the Nordstrom guideline was easy and sometimes challenging depending on the caller and situation. Depending on the challenging situation there was always an option to team up with another department or manager if needed.
Great company, great environment
Server (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 16, 2016
Learned exactly what it means to provide exceptional customer service. Company attracts very enthusiastic and friendly people to work for them which creates a great work environment. Management does not micromanage, they empower you to use your best judgement when issues arise.
Pros
Great customer service training, empowers you to use your best judgement, benefits
Cons
N/A
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Management was unfair and did not work with school scheduling. Schedule was never correct. Never spoken to about my career path. Felt like management did not care about employees.

I really liked my job and what we did, the management team was unfair and certain situations were not handled correctly.

My termination came as a surprise.
Hard Work for Little Return
SALES ASSOCIATE / STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Wonderful company full of diversity. Benefits easily surpass most retail jobs.
Horrible department manager who would set you up to fail if you weren't wise to her. Ran off or fired 2 assistant managers and 4 associates within one year.
Pros
Great Customers, co-workers, and benefits.
Cons
Department Managment
Fast Paced Creative Work Environment
Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 2, 2016
Nordstrom was a wonderful company to work for! The management really cares about growing their associates into leaders if they see you are eager and willing to put in the work. It's a very fast paced work environment so be ready for your feet to hurt at the end of the day.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not a steady pay
Best place I've been, but when it comes to higher ups don't expect things to get done
Host/busser/expoditer/bartender (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2016
I worked there for 15 months before I quit. The staff is fun, you learn so much about food and dining, and it was always a fun day going into work. However, management was messed up, you'd be promised a promotion and 4 months later you're still wondering why you haven't moved up even though people are requesting you to serve them. Go to HR and they won't resolve any issues.
If you can get in at the position you desire, then cheers, get that and don't let go. If you're trying to work your way up, good luck.
The only thing I would change is the horrible, racist, sexist GM I had who always had empty promises and never had the alcohol we needed stocked to provide a fantastic dining experience for our guests.
Pros
Free food! Fun working environment, great gratituity
Cons
Short shifts, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.