Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Good dicounts and my co-workers very helpful
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 3, 2017
Working at Nordstrom rack was a fun experience made slot of friends I still know to this day, you got a raise every year and good discounts on 90% of the merchandise.
Quick paced
cashier, barista (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 3, 2017
At the Ebar I would arrive and make sure food prep, cleaning, and the cafe and cash register setup was done and ready for the day. I would make a house brew and then get the espresso machine up and running. The stocklist was constantly being monitored throughout the shift to ensure we had everything we needed at all times. I ran the cash register, made drinks, made sure everything was stocked, cleaned, prepped food and had to work in a pretty tight space with sometimes 3 other people. I had to be quick and efficient and constantly on task. There was never really a moment when nothing needed to be done. Being on my feet and moving constantly and thinking constantly about the managing of the cafe was not easy by any means. I had to think back and look ahead a lot and make decisions about things that could either negatively or positively affect me or the cafe. I was fortunate to have a great managerial team and worked with people who wanted to build me up and help instead of tear me down. I love working with people and interacting with people so having making connections with people be a part of my job was really fun and enjoyable. I grew in multitasking, quick decision making, memorization, and efficiency in high stress situations.
Pros
discount on food and free drinks
Cons
Stressful
horrible place to work i you want to move up
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CADecember 2, 2017
poor management, unfair pay, unfair hours i learned a lot about cash wrap, unfair judgement, only cares about making the day not customer service, no financial security
Fun and competative
MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTDecember 2, 2017
Nordstrom provides you with many opportunities to learn. If you're a hardworker there is opportunity to move up in the company. Sales goals can be stressful.
fun working eviormment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MADecember 1, 2017
typical day at Nordstrom starts with a team rally where every sales associate from their respected department meets up and have a team rally with the store manager. here we discus sales of the day ETC.
Great place to gain experience
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJNovember 30, 2017
I worked in the cosmetic department
it was great experience to build your business and create relationships with your customers
management was okay, could have more respect for employees
fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montclair, CANovember 30, 2017
Nordstrom is a great place to work with a fun environment. Great opportunity to build a clientele for your future sales. Commission based environment.
Pros
competive
Cons
consistancy
competitive place to work
STYLING AND SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLNovember 30, 2017
Management is unorganized. Store managers dont lead by example when it comes to embracing company initiatives. Its a great company if you working for the right person at the right time.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
short breaks, management
Nepotism ran the work place !
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 30, 2017
I despised working at Nordstrom in cosmetics for the year i worked there. Nepotism ran Nordstrom from the top straight through the bottom. You get hours based on how much butt you kissed.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Gossip in the workplace
Competitive but fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 29, 2017
I would arrive and clock in and go into a managers only meeting. I would take notes, listen to last weeks performance/sales, compare and develop plans for the week a head. After the meeting I would get my department ready for opening by getting our cash box and starting up our register and dusting or putting new merchandise out on the floor. I also had the chance to see the operations of Nordstrom's discount store Nordstrom Rack and trained with management there as well.
Pros
free merchandise from my department TBD
Cons
standing on feet all day in heels

Want to know more about Nordstrom?

Ask a question
working at Norstrom Rack
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CANovember 29, 2017
I have worked in the company for almost 3 years now, they pay great and a raise every 1000 hours; however, it could get quite stressful and an management takes quite a long time to recognize individuals or move them up within the retail side. I am leaving the company for now because the new management I personally had to work with day to day was a stressful, and very negative environment.
To date, best job I've had so far.
Womens Shoes Cashier (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 29, 2017
Nordstrom is whatever you want it to be. If you want part-time because your a student, they support that. If you want full-time because you're a parent, or you want to work full-time, they support that too. They are an amazing company, very flexible with work hours, and times and days. Many employees are parents so they allow them to have morning schedules to spend time with their families, or even to spend the weekends with their families, no matter what position you have, commission, cashier, logistics. They have regular schedules, meaning, you'll have a regular 9-5pm everyday, or 1-closing, everyday, if thats your choosing. The managers, to date, are the best I've had. Very personable, and approachable, like real people, not company robots present to uphold company rules and regulations. Nordstrom works hard to hire regular, normal everyday people, as their management. Besides that, they have Dental, Vision, and Health insurance available to full-time employees, they even have Unemployment Insurance available, if you qualify of course. They also have great Maternity and Paternity leave, even disability, for you, or to take care of family members. Their Maternity leave is six months, and the Paternity leave is three months. The only really busy times are during sales, and the weekends, besides that its pretty steady the rest of the year, even boring sometimes. Not very much of the job is hard, just stressful, maybe when customers feel they are being under serviced. The most enjoyable part, is having the knowledge, and ability to be able to help the customer with their needs.
Pros
Promotion in less than one year, 20-30% employee discount everyday, three times a year 30-40% discount for employees. Good Benefits, Overtime available.
Cons
As an employee might not be able to make returns if something has been used, depends on the case.
Tough place to succeed
Commissioned Sales (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 29, 2017
Although it's a great store, certain departments were disorganized and led to frequent conflicts in a commission environment. It's pretty much everyone for yourself, which is fine, but causes frequent conflicts with other, less ambitious associates.
Pros
Great product
Cons
Poorly managed
Fun place to work
Nordstrom Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 29, 2017
Make sure you are ready to work fast paced, and are able to tend to customers needs when asked. You also need to make sure you have great communication skills.
Pros
1 hour break
Great Logistics Manager
Logistics, Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLNovember 29, 2017
I had one of the great bosses there at Nordstrom. I work in logistics and love every minute of it. Too bad it was just a seasonal job! Always had a 15 minute break at 9:00am and lunch at 12:30. The day started at 6:00 and ended around 2:30. Some days they ask you to stay late but when you work for great people you do not mind.
Pros
Discount, Great mangerment
Cons
Some people think they are above you
Good Company
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2017
Great Place to work with great people. It is just a fast paced environment with long hours as is expected with the role. There are lots of changes all the time so you have to be quick and sharp.
fast paced environment,
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Century City, CANovember 29, 2017
Nordstrom is over all a good company to work for but it is a good company for someone who is just graduating high school. It is very competitive, commission only. Long hours. You do meet alot of people and really get to know about fashion trends but the money isn't the best.
Pros
discount
Cons
low pay
Great culture and lots of perks.
Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WANovember 28, 2017
I love the culture at Nordstrom. It's full of friendly and fun people who are looking out for your best interest and are always willing to work as a team.

The pay is really good and there's lots of good things about it. Like a cafe, a coffee bar and a smoothie bar located at the store. All of which you can redeem the discount at. The discount is 20% which is not the best I've ever had, but also fairly good considering Nordstrom prices.

The expectations are kind of high. Retail is trending downwards and customers are showing up less and less. The associates are expected to drum up business for the company, and in my personal opinion, that should be the responsibility of someone who makes much larger salary than I do. So the insecurity is kind of nerve wracking. I didn't take this job to be a telemarketer and the expectation from Nordstrom is to spend a lot of time on the phone.

Overall, a good company to work for.
Pros
Can use discount on coffee and food.
Cons
Rather slow and lack of customers.
Typical Day at work
Rack Shrinkage Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 28, 2017
Come in, complete morning tasks. Greet any employees or customers I come across. Monitor store. Complete closing tasks. Perform package checks.Close store.
nice retail establishment
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 28, 2017
enjoyed working with Nordstrom. Holidays were busy and I chose to leave when I started having children. Management was well trained. Overall a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.