Nordstrom
1,871 reviews

Nordstrom Employer Reviews

Growth Promoting Atmosphere
Associate Sales Lead (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great training, professional atmosphere, overall great management, benefits, job security
Cons: wage compensation low and uncertain
Nordstom is fun, professional place to work. It promotes the growth of each individual employee personally, professionally, and morally. A typical day starts off with a store pep meeting going over goals reached for individual employees and departments as well as encouragement and constructive criticism to reach goals that wer not met. Afterwards the – more... rest of the day consists of checking inventory, research and set up of new/current merchandise for showing. Personal styling when possible for customers as well as record keeping, monetary transactions, and cleaning. – less
Amazing workplace, great management
SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 22, 2014
Loved every minute of it! AMAZING training, great staff, overall best company ive worked for
Just A Regular Work Day
Sales; Inventory Processer/Stock Team Member (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: terrible discount, meet new friends
Cons: terrible hours, benefits, pay, uneducated managers
This company seems a lot better on the outside than it does on the inside. Personally being a full time employee that worked for them for two years, I was treated terribly. The way the pay works is ridiculous, and it is impossible to get benefits. Plus, they look more deeply and interview better when it comes to promoting managers because a lot of them – more... do not know what they are doing at all. In addition, the managers could never answer any of your basic questions and neither could Human Resources. Maybe it was just the store I worked at but its no wonder why people quit and are constantly unhappy when they work there. – less
Fun Place to Work
Watch Specialist (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILOctober 22, 2014
This is a great company to work for, the hours are flexible but then again it is retail. The pay is good, as long as you can sell and add on to purchases. Moving up in the company was difficult, it took a lot of butt kissing :)
Clarin's Counter Manager (Current Employee), Batavia, OHOctober 21, 2014
Good place to work, however I am looking to transition out of retail
Commision based income
Salesperson (Former Employee), Montclair, CAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: the pay checks were not consistent
I would arrive at the store dressed in the most recent styles. Before the doors would open to the public it would be my responsibility to stock all the merchandise, making sure everything in our department ( men's clothing) was perfectly presentable to the customer. I was always ready to greet the customer with a sincere smile and assist the shopper – more... in choosing the exact outfit that they were looking for. I was the cashier responsible for opening and closing the cash drawers for the department. We would transfer merchandise from other stores to the customer's address, and accept all returns that met the company policy. The team that I worked with were all very knowledgeable about what the expectations that were required. The team worked on a commission basis and were always trying to sell the most expensive clothing. I had a hard time doing this because I knew that a shirt that cost $285.00 could be found for mush less in another part of the store that would fit the event. I was able to communicate and connect with any type of personality a shopper had. I really enjoyed meeting new people and establishing a relationship so that when he or she would shop at Nordstrom they would ask for me. Working at Nordstrom was fun but the pay was less than I expected. – less
Great Company to work for - especially if you're into fashion
Sales Associate/ (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: great compensation and benefits, fun to work in fashion/retail industry
Cons: often deal with short tempered managers/employees, etc - standing on your feet all day
Great Company - Typical day at work was always busy. You need to be a people person and outgoing, or you will not excel in any role with Nordstrom. Nordstrom is all about customer service, and you will be interacting with so many people on a daily basis.

Sometimes, management tends to take stress out on their employees - so you have to be able to deal – more... with criticism, whether it's constructive or not. Not all management is terrible; it depends on what team you're on.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a discount at your favorite store. – less
n/a
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Miami, FLOctober 20, 2014
Pros: my team mates
Cons: too many hours
It was great ! great pay and also always very busy with many thing Sales were awesome.
Stressful job, floating schedule, no life.
Fitter/Tailor (Former Employee), Cherry Hill, NJOctober 19, 2014
Pros: decent pay/ benefits (401 plan), clean, bright, no prophanity
Cons: stress, unappreciation, short brake
I was a tailor/fiter. All you hear is Productivity,Productivity, Productivity. Points, points,points! Faster, faster. 10 min on a suit , pant fitting, 15 min for a dress. Nobody cares that customer wasn't ready - (standing in front of the mirror by the time you came) or decided to try another dress for you to see! Forget it ! And if she decided that – more... she needs shoes ( and you definitely need them if it long gown) , sales person have to go downstairs to get the right shoe size and heel size. But for some reason it always wrong heel size even if you give them the ruler to take with them ... It looks like they are all from the same school... AND...if the customer will realize that she needs a bra... OMG!!!!!! People from lingerie department start bringing all these bras, girdles and cups... Another 20-30 min are taken.. Than you start your fitting. You take care of the customer while manager writes a note how unprofessional you are spending too much time and losing productivity not only for yourself, but for the whole shop!! If you tapered suit, hammed pants, took it in, shortened sleeves, shorten collar - it's too much - you are considered unprofessional !!!! You had to give customer suit that fits him perfectly. But what are sales people for? Aren't they trained to chose the size for a customer? How many times they fought with me that "That's the size" . If it's the only suite in stock, don't promise to the customer that we can resize it. We can't. Not because we are not able to, because it's the policy :"Fit first!". But what if customer is broad-shouldered? Of course, we have to resize pants, because we can't "mix and match" sizes. Suite is standard size..So now you are in trouble. You can't put all these points to one alteration ticket - it's too much.
My manager was telling lies to the store manager and customer care manager about me. Was unprofessional, asking me embarrassing questions in front of my coworkers like "what took you so long in a restroom?", treating me like a first-grader (I'm 44) and even cursing at me.I wrote a letter to HR, but nobody cared.
One complain of a customer is ENOUGH to fire you- no matter how good you are and how long were you with a company. They don't value your experience and how you love your job, how your customers love you. Constant discouragement and fight for POINTS! Every move, fitting, pants, dress and so on - has certain points. Nobody tells you how much. Approximately - marking and cutting pants-2 points, sewing & pressing-2 points, but somehow by the end of the month you have to reach this magical number of points. If you are lowest in a team this month and they need to fire somebody- it gonna be YOU! They don't have to explain you - why.
Clock-in, clock out have to be precise like in army - latenesses are also among legitimate reasons to fire you. Nobody cared if the road or a bridge was closed and you (like I) live in a different state.
30 min break for meal and restroom are impossible to keep. EXPLAINING why:
There in NO restroom for employees, so you have to walk long corridor to the public restroom, stand in line, then come back, stand in line for microwave, because it's only one for the whole store and then look for the place to eat, because lunch room is closed most of the time for meetings and constant trainings. So if you have, God forbid, soup, you can't go the Nordstrom cafe, you have to go down the escalator (elevator is ONLY for customers, tailors are not allowed there) and go through the store to the mall tables in front of Nordstrom, eat (Forget coffe!) and come back upstairs - no running !! Everything in 30 min.
Once our admin complained that i left pants unpressed in the end of the day writing a letter to the tailor shop manager . She new that presses weren't working properly and I i was the one who informed maintenance department about it. Another thing is a TEAMWORK. If somebody had fittings and didn't have time to finish their job, tailor shop manager has to give it to those who can do it or other tailors have to take care of it themselves. Instead manager showed this letter to the store manager, telling her that my coworkers are complaining about it..!! What a team!!
When my son was sick, he had asthma attack and I asked that day my manager for permission to pick up my phone, because my mom doesn't speak English and was afraid to mix up different inhalers that he needed on different times. She answered "WHY do you think that you're better then everybody else? Rules are the same for everybody. Take your phone to the LP (in opposite side of the store where we keep our coats and bags)." So I got in trouble for that too.
The only thing I learned in 3 years working there - how to mark the sport jacket sleeve to shorten it faster, other things i was teaching my coworkers and manager myself (I had 30 years of experience and she had 4). Our other manager had no experience with formal gowns and when I tried to explain him something told me "Dresses don't make any sense to me". How people like that an lead tailor shop???? All they do is watching you and write reports and letters to the higher management. When we chatted among tailors, I was shocked that everybody was constantly threatened by manager to get fired , even people who opened that shop long time ago. So it wasn't just me.
Vacation - is another sad story. You will never get it when you need it, only when shop can let you. All people are in a range of productivity. Level 4 is barely impossible to reach - are people with priority to chose they dates first. Usually they have much more PTO than anybody else. So they chose first and so on - by the productivity level. And because Sales are often in Nordstrom, Anniversary, semi anniversary Sale, Early Access sale,half yearly sale, Christmas, Man sale, woman sale, Rack sale (don't forget that we help them with alteration if they can't keep up. And usually they can't because there is only one person there with horrible supply list - no threads, no ironing board, no cover stitch machine, no handkerchief stitching machine and so on!!!)..
So if you are ready for all this hassle, good luck! – less
Over worked and under compensated.
PRODUCT SALES MANAGER (Current Employee), Mission Viejo, CAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: leadership training/development
Cons: inadequate monetary compensation
There is no typical day for a selling manager at Nordstrom, but most days include: merchandising within your department, scheduling, teaching selling, selling yourself and business planning/ event execution. The learnings have been invaluable. Although the company is consistently adapting the training model to best equip their employees to serve their – more... customers, most teaching happens organically and is fostered by the store leadership teams. The environment is pleasant most days, but working in a competitive sales environment does open the door to some minor disagreements between co-workers. The hardest part of the job is the emotional investments, i.e. working so hard to earn a pat on the back rather than the appropriate monetary compensation. The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching people to be great service providers and seeing their customers leave happy. – less
Nordstrom Rack LLC
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 18, 2014
Pros: understanding the customers needs
Cons: maintaining a positive attitude with customers when they are upset
A typical day with the Nordstrom Rack proved to maintain a consistent rhythm of job responsibilities at a fast pace.

My role as a customer serve representative has strengthened my ability to understand the needs of each individual I service.

Working in a retail position has also shown me the highs and lows of each department manager.

At Nordstrom,the – more... working team is great; each person is available to assist with the customers needs and work as strong team players.

I initially work in the shoe department; this proved to be a labor intense responsibility. However, it also allowed great opportunity to engage with the customers.

I enjoy working with the customers and assisting them with the selection of their desired purchase. – less
Good Company
Sales (Current Employee), Murray, UTOctober 17, 2014
I provide direct service to customers in my department; kids shoes. It is a wonderful company to work for. Very open minded and confident in employees decisions toward different situations. Co-workers are amazing. Management is hit and miss. There are good managers and bad ones. The hardest part of this job is that it is commission based. I do love – more... working with kids and being able to get the one on one time with customers. – less
Wonderfull Workplace
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Corte Madera, CAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: make as much money as you like!
Cons: strictly commission
This is an awesome job to take lead and drive your own business with your own clientele. This is a great job for you if your a workaholic and a go-getter.
Great Part-time
Sales/Management (Former Employee), Miami, FLOctober 16, 2014
Pros: employee discount and first hand look at newest fashions
Excellent job to have while you're in school or simply have other, more important duties in which only require you to sustain a part time job.
Typically a 100% commission based pay check which allows you to take control of what you are getting paid to a certain extent. Due to the company's policy on exchanges/returns you end up losing a huge chunk of – more... change form your pay check. This is due to when your customer/client decides to return or exchange what you've sold them you are then required to give up the commission gained from that transaction. This loss accounted anywhere from 25% up to 50% of my potential pay check at times. It's inevitable due to the policy of the company so you must learn to accept it in order to work there and maintain your sanity. – less
Fun, Challenging Environment
Personal Stylist (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great customers.
Cons: draw or commission
Great managing team that strives to push employees to perform their best every day. Morning rallies to get the day started, recognizing top performers.
Learning environment
Customer Service Credit Services (Former Employee), Santa AnaOctober 15, 2014
- great work place
- management can be helpful
- good benefits
- great company
Great place to work while in school
Sales Associate & Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OhioOctober 15, 2014
This was an awesome place to really experience working while going through school. The competitive environment made it fun and energetic.
Sales Accomplishments (Former Employee), Freehold, NJOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great place to work.
Cons: none.
Awesome place to work with plenty room for advancements.With great benefits with stock options, it's a great place if you're looking for a career.
A place full of surprises
Certified Fit Specialist (Current Employee), TampaOctober 14, 2014
Work at Nordstrom is a place where there's no telling what tomorrow will hold when your dealing with people. I learned ways to be progressive in company sales, relationships, and logistics of a large industry.
Great Learning JOb
Sun Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles CAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great co workers, great management, nice environment
Cons: commission based can either be great or aweful....alot of returns
a great company!!! very nice management and co workers.
income is not stable
alot of fraud
and returns
we learn great customer service skills
very flexible with schedule
benefits

About Nordstrom

Nordstrom, Inc.is a fashion specialty retailer that offers a selection of apparel, shoes, cosmetics and accessories for women, – Read more