NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Poor Working Conditions
Adult Services Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NorfolkMarch 4, 2016
Poor management, with a culture of blame and lack of managerial support.

Unreasonable working expectations with expectations of completing work whilst at home and whilst on holiday. I would be completing work up and over midnight each night to attempt to complete all reports necessary.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Unreasonable work expectations
There are constant financial cutbacks and restructuring
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  County Hall - NorwichOctober 17, 2015
Sadly what used to be a half-decent posting has turned into an utter nightmare due to the non-stop financial cutbacks, restructuring and very poor management at senior level(s).

Many departments are being merged with staff being laid-off, hence you are being asked to twice the workload for exactly the same salary. NCC have even implemented fee(s) to park your own vehicle at work.

Morale among staff is the lowest that I have ever known, and employees off work with stress-related illness is rife.

Sadly employees are not appreciated by management who are now just concerned with budgeting and filling totally unrealistic work quotas.
Pros
Salary is moderate for the locale, Pension Scheme, Flexi Leave, Decent Holiday Entitlement
Cons
Poor management, Highly unrealistic and increasingly heavy workload, Salary is remaining static, Poor staff morale, Wholly unappreciative management, Lack of incentives, High stress levels
fun work place
MSA (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENGOctober 15, 2015
I have enjoyed my job and work great as part of a team. I have gained great experience working here. I manage a team of four people which works very well.
Enjoyable and fair
Highways Designer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGSeptember 27, 2015
Before 2008 there were plenty of chances for progression. This was halted, understandably. There are great managers and terrible ones, it's pot luck what you end up with. That aside, a good place to work, lots of benefits and perks. Hard work will see you progress (eventually).
Pros
Free education, flexible working hours
Fair
Creche Supervisor (Former Employee) –  norwichAugust 14, 2015
Enjoyable, on the job learning, management approachable. Co-workers like-minded. The hardest part of the job was having the correct resources.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the families.
Different, rewarding
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  NorwichApril 9, 2015
Very rewarding helping others, and learning how to deal with people differently as well as gaining key communication skills and great geographical knowledge.
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough hours
Government cuts not improving customer service or employees lives
Credit Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGMarch 30, 2015
Constant staff cuts putting additional pressure on teams to perform and reach targets with fewer resources.

A typical day involved being aware of the overall outstanding debts and ensuring all debts were being actioned within the Councils debt policy guidelines. Making myself available for team members should they need guidance to resolve any issues. Attending court on behalf of the council and meetings with customers, departmental representatives or various internal teams.

Debts for care services in later life are very difficult debts to chase. The costs of care are high and not something people always choose. Their health circumstances are a forced change for which they have no control over but still need to pay for.

Due to the decision making processes within local government change is too slow to achieve the true benefits of any efficiency or monetary savings.

My team were very supportive of one an other and committed to achieving the KPI's for members and the residents of Norfolk.

The hardest part of the job was seeing how hard my team worked and the continual abuse they took from customers. Their debt portfolios increasing due to no fault of their own. The continual fire fighting

The most enjoyable part of my role was supporting my team in anyway I could, helping customers to resolve issues and offering alternate was to settle their debts. Delivering the best service possible in a very difficult service.
Pros
final salary pension
Cons
stressful environment, long hours
Public sector
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  County HallMarch 27, 2015
Used to be a good place to work but now everyone is stressed and looking at budgets for everything. Salary and pensions are brilliant but thats about it.
Pros
Salary & Pension
Cons
Poor atmosphere and culture
fun and enjoyable
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGSeptember 28, 2014
very good time had while working here. nice people both staff and customers.
Teaching
Assistant Headteacher (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGJuly 30, 2014
Assistant Head and Teacher in a small primary school.
Part of a small team.
Highly stressful but very rewarding.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
very long hours
Busy environment
Cover Manager (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, ENGJune 2, 2014
A very busy environment where no two days are the same. Colleagues are friendly and fun to work with. I enjoy dealing with both colleagues and students and have a good rapor with most of them.
Pros
suitable hours whilst my children were at school
Cons
not enough hours now my children are not at school
can be a good place to work
site officer/cleaning supervisor (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENGFebruary 22, 2014
Locking bikes sheds. seeing if any events are on. stocking up students toilets. delivering parcels. answering any requests from teachers. cleaning main hall after break, setting up assembly. checking toilets before break and lunch.

cleaning job.
Organising keys for cleaners,
keeping their equipment in good working order,
replacing any used chemicals,
doing the time sheets,
supervising them to make sure the school is cleaned.
Local Authority
ICT Operations Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Norwich, ENGJanuary 17, 2014
Managing the delivery of the desktop operational service to over 300 schools in Norfolk
Managing the motivation, development and deployment of 35 staff, ensuring availability of appropriate levels of resource for our customer base to deliver current Operational and Project works.
Produce action plans, monthly and ad hoc reports for all levels of the service
Work with cross functional teams to ensure a more coherent service delivery
Visit customers to negotiate contracts and give presentations regarding our service
Challenge my team to look at all processes to look for further efficiencies
Act as conduit between the Senior Management Team, critical recourse and the customer base
Flexible working
Procurement Helpdesk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Martineau Lane, NorwichOctober 5, 2013
I enjoy the benefits of working for a government institution but in my view it's management is poor as are prospects for advancement are very limited in the current economic climate as central government demand more and more cuts every year putting jobs at risk and employees under pressure both in the amount of work and the constant threat of redundancy. Despite this the benefits of flexible working are a big plus which does a lot to offset other failings in this institution.
Pros
excellent benefits. flexible hours
Cons
work pressure. unsecure employment.
Fun whilst learning
Adult Education course participant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGSeptember 13, 2013
I really enjoyed this course, a lot of it was down to common sense, but with the encouragement of the tutor and the other learners on the course I was able to complete all the modules. It has improved my confidence in the use of computers and I would now welcome the chance to build on these new skills. Therefore I am looking to do some voluntary work.
Pros
new qualifications and skills
Cons
need some experience now
Enjoyed Training and meeting other carers
Retired Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGJune 27, 2013
Only retired Fostering because Wife suffered a Heart Attack in
November 2012.
Pros
training and meeting other carers
Cons
difficult getting respite
Professional, open and friendly workplaces
Inbound call handler (Former Employee) –  Norwich, ENGJune 10, 2013
1: Arranging transport for vulnerable school children via email and phone requests. Using the in-house systems I would co-ordinate and liaise with taxi, bus and private hire car drivers. The most difficult part was if there was no transport available, sometimes meaning that the child would have to walk at least part way home in the dark.

2: A similar process for the East of Anglia ambulance service except we vetted them medically (it was a non-emergency ambulance service). That entailed the toughest part, informing an elderly person that they were not eligible for free transport.
Pros
making a difference to people's wellbeing. ensuring safe passage to/from school.
Cons
informing the vulnerable that they didn't qualify for our service from time to time.
Relatively well organised from my perspective as a teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Norwich Road primary ThetfordJanuary 28, 2013
Difficult to put in context. I'm currently a teacher in Thetford working part time in early years.I don't have a lot to do with other NCC workers,

Hardest part of job dealing with the shifting sands in education and having to adopt different priorities that sometimes do not seem to reflect the needs of children.
Most enjoyable achieving happiness and well being through children's learning.
Pros
relatively secure with a pension
Cons
as a teacher i'm pretty deskilled to workin many other commercial sectors
Overall, NCC is a good place to work.
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaywood Library, King's LynnJanuary 15, 2013
Working as a library assistant is a very fullfilling job. One of the best parts is the interaction with the public, young and old, a rapport can be built with them.
Cons
unfortunately, due to government cutbacks, i am unable to secure more hours.
Overworked, under appreciated
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  thetfordAugust 24, 2012
Management care more about themselves than the staff, Depressing and stressful work with little or no reward.
Was treated appallingly.