Norfolk Southern Corp

Norfolk Southern Corp Employee Reviews

Does not care about work/life balance, Education
Assistant Trainmaster (Former Employee), Decatur, ILMay 8, 2015
Pros: Compensation
Cons: Work/Life Balance; Location
This company - in particular the location and division I was assigned to - does not care about work/life balance. The compensation is good, however, I found it to be inadequate compared to the demands that were made.

Education wise, the entry level positions do not do anything to prepare an individual for work outside the narrow lines of the supervision workforce. It is overall detrimental to your positioning in the workforce, should you choose to leave.

As far as advancement opportunities, the company does have good opportunities for advancement, but that advancement is extremely politically motivated. The internal politics at play are truly a grind.

Geographically, the company does not truly allow an individual to determine - or even attempt to determine - the area in which he or she will be working, making it extremely difficult to go where you feel is necessary for personal health or family life. The internal mechanism by which a transfer to the location of an employee's choice is also a well-known way to end any opportunities for advancement.
No work/life balance, weak mid-management seeks only to be promoted
Trainmaster (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 8, 2015
Pros: Pay, benefits, job security
Cons: corporate culture, burn-out rate, disconnect between frontline supervisors and senior management
The pay is very good, as are the benefits, but as with most companies, Operations works terrible hours. This is alright when one is young, but terrible on a family. The agreement employees are coddled, and with the new "ADI" BS, the work environment has become a joke. mid-management (any B5-B6 level supervisor in any dept) only wants the next promotion, and cares little about how they achieve it. There is plenty of room for upward mobility, as most of the upper level management will retire within the next 5 years (many would have already gone if the market hadn't tanked in 2008). Norfolk Southern (or any railroad) is not a bad company per se: they have never laid off management, the pay is excellent, the benefits are good, but Operations is a life sentence (can't transfer to non-ops), and the burn-out rate is very high. Morale across the railroad is very low right now due to internal politics...not sure anything besides a complete changing of the guard can change it.
Interesting place to work
Audit Intern (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 7, 2015
I learned a lot here. Not just work related. I did have hands on learning with excel and the accounting systems. I also learned the value of job culture within a firm. I would work here again. I would come in and be assigned a task then elicit the help of my coworkers if needed. The management made me feel at ease. That this was a learning environment. The hardest part was the security system. If I lost my badge, it was a pain not having access to my work area. The most enjoyable part was all that I was able to learn and take away from this experience.
Positive experience overall.
Intern (Former Employee), EnolaMay 7, 2015
Throughout this internship, I improved my leadership ability and my engineering skills tremendously. I worked as a mechanical supervisor in managing car workers in fixing damaged railroad vehicles in a car workshop. I also designed a lot of drawings through AutoCAD 2D and AutoCAD inventor.
not such a great place
Conductor (Former Employee), Corning, NYMay 2, 2015
The lowest paid class one railroad out there. The management try to operate by fear and micro management. Has the potential like any other company to be great.
It's Like working at the Post Office
Application Developer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Saying you work for The Railroad is kind of neat
Cons: Stifling Culture
In the IT department, you are locked into a job. Sure, your job-title might change, but you will not likely be doing anything else for a long time.

Many layers of management and compartmentalization of responsibilities stifle innovation and change.

The benefits are great, but the pay is average, at best.

Worst of all, the company's culture is .... odd. The mandatory safety briefing before the start of a meeting is the weirdest thing I have ever done in an office.
Stable, dependable place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 26, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits
Cons: No work/life balance; limited options for growth and promotions
There is no typical day at work. It changes from day to day, which is one of the good things about working at Norfolk Southern. I have gained experience in the rail industry, logistics and customer service that has allowed me to fine tune my managerial skills to tactfully handle any situation or environment.
Technology Analyst (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: Hard for advancement.
I had a great time working at NS. Everyone that worked there was helpful, nice, and a joy to work with. Management is great and wanted you to succeed and made the work environment a collaborative place. The only drawback is that it is not easy to move up in the company.
Good Place to work
Road Foreman of Engines (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INApril 6, 2015
Pros: Benefits package and training
Cons: long hours
Norfolk Southern has a-great Benefits package, along with one of the best training school in the rain industry, a railroad culture that dates back over 200 years. advancement to Management very good if thats what you seek. you can't beat the training.
Norfolk
Conductor (Current Employee), Macon, GAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: you will make a lot of money
Cons: u dnt have any time to spend with fam
Long days and long nights. The pay is good but the management sucks. You will meet a lot of good people. The hardest about the job is stay focus while you are tired.
Dynamic, challenging environment keeps you interested & involved.
Freight Conductor, Retired (Former Employee), Portsmouth, OHMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Compensation and healthcare.
Cons: It all went by to quickly.
Mentally/physically challenged/occupied from the beginning to the end of each tour of duty. You must learn patience and flexibility in such a dynamic environment. When you leave the crew room there is almost nonstop movement around you until the end of your tour. Be aware not only for yourself but for the safety of others and the equipment around you. Make decisions based on training & experience not impulse & haste.
Management changes regularly but co-workers rarely do. Be flexible/understanding. Remember that everyone works with different pace & perception. Perhaps a person is working to the best of his/her ability when others feel they are not.
The hardest things about my job were leaving the house knowing that you may not return for twenty to forty hours & becoming complacent which could lead to acting without thinking,a dangerous habit. Each day at work presented new challenges,interaction with supervisors,train dispatchers,yardmasters,co-workers,different crafts & their restrictions as they relate to you and conditions including the changing weather. It was a daunting task each day and truthfully
I LOVED IT! I had a terrific job,never boring,constantly changing. Traveling by train through the countryside mostly following the rivers through forested land,encountering wildlife in their habitat and witnessing the beauty of nature. Meeting new people in different cities and towns and experiencing their different ways of life. You learn that to many,myself included,railroading is a romantic job. Believe me I could go on ad infinitum as to the most enjoyable parts of my job but I will simply end by telling you that they actually paid me to do it! "Find something that you enjoy doing and you will never work a day in your life." Eureka!
Dishonest
Conductor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2015
There is no typical day. I loved servicing industries. I didn't like being unproductive. There was a lot of just sitting around, waiting for other trains to pass. Co-workers were very much into gossiping about other co-workers. Very uncomfortable
stable job but no home life
Conductor (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INMarch 23, 2015
print out paperwork. then when called to go to train, we would. then take train from fort wayne to another city. hardest part of the job was not having much time at home and missing a lot of family events while out of town
Excellent company to work for
Head BIlling Misc BIlling/Joint Facilties (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 21, 2015
Pros: health/excercise programs available
Excellent company to work for, I love the Virgin Healthmiles pedometer program. I enjoy the weekly yoga program on my lunch hour.
Working on the railroad...the first time.
Freight Car Inspector (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Becoming a AAR certified welder
Cons: $3, 600.00 in union dues
At nineteen I left home to go work on the railroad. Working in an all male environment I learned to appreciate sophomoric humor. The hazing was constant, and I discovered how to give it back in a respectful way. If your coworkers did not like you, they will not say anything to you. The company I worked for would not promote an employee without a four tear degree, so this started me back to college. I worked the 11 -7 shift and took classes early in the morning.
I had one supervisor that came up through the ranks that could not read the rule book. This rule book is forever in my mind because we would read two rules a day. Management was rough and gruff and I appreciated it. There was no mystery about their intent. I completed a three year apprenticeship on the shop track and before that an eight week training course in Mc Donough Georgia. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up derailment sites, and getting rail cars back on the tracks.This was overtime for hourly employees. I did one derailment, and then found a part time job for extra cash. Cleaning up derailments was dangerous, unpredictable work. I experienced a national strike. President George Bush put us back to work after one day and appointed an arbitrator. Another time the railroad locked us out of work due to the threat of a strike elsewhere. The courts said that they could not do that and we were paid for the one day we were out. The best time was working as a volunteer on the steam trains. I received the behind the scenes pass, helping to keep the passenger cars rolling. When not on the steam trains, I would slip out of the shop just to watch them go by.

I resigned after six years and moved home to start a family.

In 2013 the terminal I worked in ceased to be a classification point. The Hump shut down, and the Car Inspectors numbers are less than they used to be.
Poor management and non reliable depending on location.
Conductor (Former Employee), Andover, VAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: being furloughed and moving to a better economically stable state.
Mostly on call positions which lead to poor lifestyles, unable to make plans, see family. Poor management in most areas. Struggle with off time. Work on a as needed basis.
JOB
Conductor (Current Employee), Allentown, PAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: there is no continuity of jobs
The job is delicate and the people are mostly good. There is plenty of job spots and being new they throw you around. It also gives you the 24/7 on call position until you gain ground in experience. Management is not really on point sometimes, but being a large corporation, interpretation of the rules sometimes differ.
Locomotive engineer
Engineer (Current Employee), VaMarch 11, 2015
Pros: benefits, retirement, because they have too
Cons: everything you can think of!
It is the worst class 1 railroad for pay to the T/E employees! Management is by far the worst of any one of the class 1 railroads. Uneducated ( most of the older supervisors) undisciplined, and most of the time incompetent in their job criteria! If NS wants you gone then they will find a reason to get rid of you. Benefits are good because the union says it will be, not NS! If you can find a job or career that can pay you to be content with yourself and family ~ then do yourself a favor and do not apply to this feudal company!
Productive and Superior Learning Environment
Customer Service Logistics Clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: recognized for acheivements and meeting goals
Cons: work schedule and hours were demanding
- Provided services to internal and external customers on a daily basis, which required high level critical thinking and problem solving skills in a demanding environment
Key Accomplishments:
· Built and maintained a positive rapport with customers and management by successfully taking on projects and seeing them through completion
· Achieved the highest customer call volume within an assigned division over a six month period while successfully meeting customer needs
· Provided on site computer training on the newest logistics program to company engineers and conductors
COMMUNICATION IS ESSENTIAL IN EXECUTING TASKS
CREW DISPATCHER (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2015
Pros: good pension
Cons: no advancement unless you are related
COMMUNICATION IS VITAL IN EXECUTING ASSIGNED TASKS THAT ARE CONSTANTLY GIVEN VERBALLY, AND/OR VIA THE CREW MANAGEMENT CENTER TASK ORDER LISTINGS. DISSEMINATING WORK TO TRAIN AND ENGINE CREW WHILE ADHERING TO THEIR REST RESTRICTIONS, STATUS CHANGES, IS CRUCIAL IN DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIPS. I KNOW ONE MUST BE PROACTIVE INSTEAD OF REACTIVE TO ALL IMMINENT TASKS THAT LIE AHEAD. SO ANTICIPATION MUST BE ADMINISTERED ON A CONSTANT BASIS, WITH AN LOOK BEHIND, RIGHT NOW, AND LOOK AHEAD ATTITUDE. TO SUM IT ALL UP, THE MOST ENJOYABLE TIME IS QUITTING TIME.

1 2 3 4 5

About Norfolk Southern Corp

Transportation titan Norfolk Southern is the one big train that could. Its main subsidiary, Norfolk Southern Railway, transports – Read more

Norfolk Southern Corp Salaries