Norfolk Southern Corp Employee Reviews

Standard Day
PC\LAN Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 28, 2016
My standard day includes assisting internal customers with issues involving mobile devices as well as laptop, workstations and peripherals. I typically close 100 tickets per month, which averages a total of 1.5 half days to accepting ticket to completion.
Good career
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 28, 2016
Nice career,enjoyed the overall experience.I worked in several area of the company.Majority of the time as an Locomotive engineer and a manager in transportation.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no job security
Stressful, treat employees poorly....
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OH 44902September 21, 2016
Very poorly managed, work employees extremely long hours. Has a fire first mentality when it comes to managing employees.
Pros
Pay, and benefits package
Cons
Management, lifestyle, Away from home time
A technical and productive place to work
Intern - Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2016
I was an intern in the strategic planning department. People are nice here. The atmosphere here is quite technical. Maybe it is because most of the staffs here are Phds... You will learn a lot from the project-based work.
Pay is good...No Life
Railroad Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2016
It is a difficult lifestyle if you are family orientated. There will be many life moments missed while working for the railroad. But the railroad compensates you for your time, But sometimes compensation is not everything.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Family time, Culture
Safe and efficient
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHSeptember 15, 2016
Wonderful place to work for over 18 years. Sad to see it end but excited for the next step. I am a loyal employee and will put everything into my new opportunity
Excellent company,good work environment
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ALSeptember 14, 2016
Good company,safe,good pay and retirement,excellent transportation corporation,Norfolk Southern is 100% safety orientated company.
Pros
Long hours good pay
Cons
Away from home alot
Great Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 13, 2016
Good company with good benefits. As a company officer in operations, you will be required to move frequently. NS currently operates in twenty two states.
Some what stable with good compensation- poor opportunity for growth
REGIONAL SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Conway, PASeptember 11, 2016
I've worked at NS for over 9 years and the only way to move up is knowing the right people. Great performance reviews will not help in any way. Very poor work life balance - expect 24/7 response with large territories.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Work/life balance, opportunity for growth
Good company to work for
Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Moberly, MOSeptember 4, 2016
Maintain and test crossings, switches and electrical components/track circuits.Its outside work so you have to work in all types of weather. Must have strong troubleshooting skills.
Track Laboer
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2016
Keep trains on the track and to keep the public saftey. The hardest part is getting used to the weather outside. But I have learn alot of things about trains and operations.
Pros
Stable JOB
Cons
BARELEY OVERTIME
Norfolk Southern is a wonderful company.
FCC Compliance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 26, 2016
I loved working for Norfolk Southern even though it was such a short time. The people were extremely friendly and helpful. The pay was nice and the hour were good for me. I would recommend the employer to anyone.
Good overall co.
Assistant Chief Trian Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2016
Godd over co. With good benefits, easy to work for. Action, sick time health benefits. Shift work, schedule depends. Great people to work for.
Productive place to work
Project Manager (Contractor - Wabash Solutions) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2016
My typical day would be to arrive at 7AM, work on project plans, attend meetings as required, take a mandatory hour lunch break, and continue with my job duties.

My Boss and co-workers were the best that anyone could hope to have. The hardest part of my job was chairing a Monday morning meeting, then having to create SQL reports for my manager by noon that same day.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to work on my MS Project schedules, especially since the work environment was the Enterprise version of MS Project.
Pros
Co-workers, expansive break rooms, featuring free coffee, tea, and vending machines. My Boss was cool, too.
Cons
Work day schedule on Mondays (too many things to do, and too little time to do them).
In Transporation...you seem to end up in a dead end job. No skills sets.
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 8, 2016
The most enjoyable thing about my job with Norfolk Southern was a 24 hours off. Due to poorly skilled management teams without pervious experience and the nightmare of poorly trained new employees. These situations made horrible working environment for all employees. Every man and woman working any shift seemed to express their low morale of higher management decisions. The transportation dept. seemed like the top of the dead end section effecting the effective movement of freight. These company Officials would severely punish all who mistakenly broke rules due in part to how the officials interpretation of the rule. All were found guilty despite evidence of no damage or wrong doing.This company fires their employees without regard to simple levels of punishment. I have learned for my time at Norfolk Southern Study to the rules of procedures closely.
Pros
salary
Cons
bad management, unpredicable hours, bad company practices
Bad company
Signalman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2016
Very racist company , who not recommended them to anyone, not hard work just bad people . The good old boys system. Very very very racist
Pros
Job
Cons
Racist
Wonderful
Communications and Signals Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 12, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time working at stein mart. The people i worked and interacted with on a daily basis made the days go by quickly most of the time.
Great Mgt Team
Manager Strategic Planning (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2016
Very demanding job
Must be willing to relocate
Shrinking window for advancement
Great Pay and benefits
Poor bonus structure
Norfolk Southern
Operations Manager (Trainmaster) (Former Employee) –  AugustsJuly 7, 2016
Is a good place to work work/life balance is hard but is doable. you are on call 24/7 with two days off a week.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
work/ life is hard
challenging and rewarding
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 17, 2016
great place to work but tranfered to alabama i love alabama but miss my children and grandson i want to get back to north carolina
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
far from family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk Southern Corp. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9