Norfolk State University Employee Reviews in United States

Working at Norfolk State
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2016
I needed money while attending school and Norfolk State really care about their students situations. I was granted work study every time i requested it. That was my first experience really learning about customer service.
Pros
I could do my homework at work
Cons
Schedules
Growth in Material Science research
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2016
Observed circular dichroism when optically active matter absorbs left and right hand circular polarized light slightly differently.
Prepared P3HT films under ambient conditions by spin coating on microscope slides. Effectively familiarized with different techniques and machines including Deposition machine, spin coding, and measuring thickness of silver films
Pros
Work experience with Doctors & Phd students
Cons
N/A
Professional
NSU-STARS lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
As a lab assistant I am required to oversee the computer lab to ensure no guidelines are broken. I answer any questions one may have to the best of my knowledge. Also, I assist in helping students sign up for tutoring should they need it.
NSU is famous for people working together to get the job done.
Instructor / Media Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2016
NSU is a family; it's that kind of corporate culture. While finances from the Commonwealth of Virginia, like other states, have dwindled over the years and required the university to make up the difference, overcoming those obstacles to achieve the goal is common at NSU. It's how the company works on a daily basis! They do it through committed staff who pull together to get it done.
Pros
family atmosphere, supportive staff
Cons
state financing, state legislature
productive exciting place to work with wonderful people
CSA, Member (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2016
productive exciting place to work with wonderful people. It was a pleasure being around so man helpful and inspiring people
Great
Certified Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 3, 2015
The environment and culture at NSU is awesome. This university is very student centered and focused on customer service. The new leadership has taken the university to higher heights.
Productive and fun place to work.
Supervisor of Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 14, 2015
Reliable work hours.
Fun and courteous managers and customers.
love the hour long lunch breaks.
All departments work together towards a common goal.
Great atomosphere
Intern/Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 10, 2015
Loved training athletes, and great staff. Had fun training bowling team , great coaches and players to be around.Pay was not great due to lack of funds in athletic department.
Pros
Great facilities, fun people to work with.
Cons
not great pay
Desk Rep
Information Technology Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Relaxing job, I worked here during classes at Norfolk State University. I answered phone calls all day, filed papers and made inventory lists.
Fun place to work for.
Research Associate- Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 14, 2015
Great Place to work for. There is room for growth as long as you are willing to do so. The pay is good and vacation time is a plus.
Organization that strives for Excellance
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 8, 2015
Friendly Fun Environment, challenging and rewarding atmosphere. Can easily contact any department and plan and coordinate any task on your schedule.
Fun workplace with Family Environment
Spartan Tech (Current Employee) –  norfolk,vaOctober 6, 2015
Very down to earth and very relaxed. I love working the people of this university each and everyday. I would recommend a lot of people to join this university.
NSU employment
Educational Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2015
I feel NSU is under- managed, and leaderless. i find that there is lot of great people that work there that are under used.
Work Study
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
A typical day of work is relaxing and getting your school work done also while helping other students when they have issues with the computers. I learned how to write computer programs as well as how to fix certain issues with the computers. Management is wonderful and also are willing to offer a helping hand. The hardest part of the job is trying to finsih all of your assigned work from classes. Most enjoyable part of work is being around other people who are doing the same as you.
Pros
Excellent people
Cons
n/a
A great place to learn and work. Job culture was fair. A great opportunity for studens.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
Very interesting place to work never a dull moment. Always an opportunity to help others while working in a team environment. I learned how to enhance my people skills.
Pros
Exciting.challenging and rewarding
Cons
Some office politics bu a great place to work.
Always on probation and declining student enrollment
Professor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2015
this University is more about protecting the Admins in power than anything else. The equipment and software is not up to current industry standards and the students are being cheated. I would not recommend to anyone to work here because if you try to make a difference, you are shut down by those trying to hold into their illusion of competency. The facts speak for themselves, disgraced Presidents, in fear of losing accreditation, and students who are not being provided the best opportunity to learn.
Pros
Trying to help students learn
Cons
provost, admins, politics and people in power who are out of date
I loved this job!! Very easy-going place all of the employees knew and helped one another very professional and relaxed place to work!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2015
Love love love working here! I was just a work study student so I wasn't qualified for the benefits but for the position I held I was very satisfied! I worked there while going to college at the same time very reasonable and very nice people! It could get challenging at times but it was worth it!
Pros
Great experience, helpful staff
Sales Associate
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Worked overnight and didn't have a problem the company saw me as an asset rather than just another worker and allowed me various days off to continue my schooling while working for the company
Friendly staff and faculty
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 27, 2015
Friendly staff and faculty lots of collaboration opportunities. Student success oriented, strong heritage and background.
Fun, Friendly, and very productive workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2015
I love working here as a receptionist. I am a full-time student during the school year and it is a work studies job so I only work there during the school year (we are currently on summer break). It gives me the experience that I need with front desk assistance, reception, filing documents, etc. They are very good people and they are very flexible with my school schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk State University. Our community is ready to answer.