Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

a great place to work
Administrative Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 9, 2017
You'll get to know some amazing people, form lasting connections, work hard, play hard, and let's not forget educational waivers.A typical day can consist of handling low-intensity daily tasks while conversing amiably with one's co-workers to hunting down missing equipment building to building and interacting with faculty and staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is the low-pressure yet goal-oriented office culture.
Fun workplace
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 8, 2017
I was under contract. I was only there for a month. This was not a permanent position. There is nothing that I can really say. I was not there long enough.
Very Stressful
Program Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 4, 2017
Un fortunately, my experience has not always been one of positive nature. Leadership change can affect the culture and due to the recent change of the guard, the work environment has changed significantly not for the better.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Little support
exciting job experience
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 2, 2017
The typical day was to to be on time and work diligently at answering patron questions.The culture of the university is a educational setting.The most part I really enjoyed was assisting patrons in an education setting and knowing that I was able to assist and answer library questions.
Pros
the freedom of learning and enhancing my education skills
Cons
first come first laid off
Productive workplace
Vocal Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2017
The work environment was conducive to much progress in gaining experience in the field of music. The students were very receptive and engaged in the study of there craft.
Typical for a work study job
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504July 26, 2017
Flexible hours that worked around my college schedule and offered study time and breaks in between. Worked with fellow students and a fun time planning and helping with school events.
Good place to work!
Professor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2017
It is a great place to work if you are passionate about education. There isn't much room for advancement in teaching from adjunct position and part time unless one has a Ph.D in the discipline taught. Full time professor positions offer a lot of growth potential and research opportunities.
Pros
Flexibility
Appropriate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2017
Was unprofessional in some instances. Expected jobs done with no resources or willingness from supervisors to help. Would not explain much to students that pay to go there. Renovations in order
Productive and Informative
Laboratory Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 5, 2017
Informative for individuals looking to expand their research career and graduate with lots of experience. Teaches how to work independently and solve problems.The workplace is quiet and it is necessary to be able to solve problems on your own (do independent research).
Assistant Teacher
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 3, 2017
● Cleaned room
● Pass breakfast and lunch
● Get the children ready for naps
● Clean sleeping mats
● Cleaned toys
● Cleaned kitchen
● Set up activities
Learning experience, making connections and helping the students
Student Admission (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2017
Work starts at 8 am I come in log on to the computer do my emails and set up campus tours. I learn how to communicate better on the phone and through emails to applicants. There are a mixture of people black and white we respect each other and focus on our work.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude people on the phone and through emails I have to find a way to inform them and not be on their level. Also the dress code business casual and always be on the alert because working here is like working in the oval office you never know who is watching. What i enjoy most is meeting new people and helping them also learning new things.
Pros
Make connections to get further in life
Cons
Can be unorganized
Diverse
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 9, 2017
-Reported day to day building operations
-Management was impartial
-Work environment was fun and fast paced. Truly engaging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job creating programs for university retention
Pros
Compensation (room & board)
Cons
Lack of consistent work schedule
Good
Spartan Technician (PC Technician) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2017
Good it was great the people that work there know a lot and are always willing to give information. Its a lot to be involved with on the campus to make your workday easier
Review
Work Study Student Finacial Aid (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 5, 2017
Here I learned about communicating with others and their problems and helping them effectively although it was only a work study job I still learned a lot.
These people are ONLY out for self! Stay away
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2017
I have never experience such an toxic environment to work in as long as been able to work. The management walk around with their nose in the air and don't care for any of there staff. The pay is poor, the work/home life is horrible. PLEASE save your time and energy and did not apply for a job here.
Enjoyable Environment
Adjunct Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 2, 2017
A typical day at work is to teach classes and conduct office hours. I have a good manager and if need, is available. The hardest part of the job is to see students not to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job is to impart knowledge to students and see it transferred.
Organized
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 23, 2017
I was a research assistant when I was at NSU. My time there was busy with programming an servo arm to open at a certain degree. I also enjoyed working with other people with different disciplines such as biology and business.
It was productive and comfortable
NSU Undergraduate Research Symposium (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 17, 2017
During my experience I learned a lot about how to handle laboratory work and about how to handle different personalities. I enjoyed my there; the setting was comfortable enough where we were encouraged to be ourselves.
Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2017
Technical programming development and enhancement support to users of Ellucian Colleague Student, Financial systems, IFAS/ONESolution Financial system.
Pros
Good IT systems
University envionment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504April 25, 2017
Management was available to address my needs and used a Laissez-faire management style. The actual building was in very poor condition, but I believe it has since been torn down. My associates became very close to me.
Pros
Connections to voluenteer and freelance work.
Cons
Building condiions (leaks, etc.)