Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Every day is a new challenge
RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 27, 2016
received a tremendous growth in computer networking and technology. i enjoyed all of my co workers it was a very enjoyable environment. But what i found to be the hardest part of this job was not the work or task but rather holding my partners responsible for their part of an assigned task. What was most enjoyable about this job was the opportunity to work with such a great group.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Thankful for the opportunity
President Student Activity and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
It was a great experience for me. I had an opportunity to work with people from around the world. I learned the secrets to success in academics and in the working environment
Pros
Loved the discipline I gained
Cons
I hated that I had to leave, it has been hard since leaving Norfolk State University, I had no idea how sheltered I was keep.
I loved this job!! Very easy-going place all of the employees knew and helped one another very professional and relaxed place to work!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2015
Love love love working here! I was just a work study student so I wasn't qualified for the benefits but for the position I held I was very satisfied! I worked there while going to college at the same time very reasonable and very nice people! It could get challenging at times but it was worth it!
Pros
Great experience, helpful staff
NSU is famous for people working together to get the job done.
Instructor / Media Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2016
NSU is a family; it's that kind of corporate culture. While finances from the Commonwealth of Virginia, like other states, have dwindled over the years and required the university to make up the difference, overcoming those obstacles to achieve the goal is common at NSU. It's how the company works on a daily basis! They do it through committed staff who pull together to get it done.
Pros
family atmosphere, supportive staff
Cons
state financing, state legislature
great working relationship with director
WoMen's Economic Development Center (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2016
I have learned how important it is to connect and communicate with co-workers as well as with the community we served. Having an interconnectedness with the community gave me great joy knowing that I could be a help to those in the community that were in need.
Pros
great working relationship with co-workers
Growth in Material Science research
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2016
Observed circular dichroism when optically active matter absorbs left and right hand circular polarized light slightly differently.
Prepared P3HT films under ambient conditions by spin coating on microscope slides. Effectively familiarized with different techniques and machines including Deposition machine, spin coding, and measuring thickness of silver films
Pros
Work experience with Doctors & Phd students
Cons
N/A
A great place to work!
Procurement Officer, Procurement Services Office (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 12, 2016
Norfolk State University is a great place to start your career and to retire from. The campus community is warm and friendly.The hardest part about the job is deciding which activities on campus you wish to support after work.
Great Place to Work
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2016
Norfolk State's faculty and staff absolutely love their students. It's a big family where the focus is on providing a quality education to our students. It's a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, job security, education options
Stable and secure place to work
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 15, 2016
A family oriented work environment great for gaining experience. I learned a great deal concerning higher education especially within the divisions of Business and Finance and also within Student Affairs.
Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 17, 2016
Nice work environment.
Place where we can learn.
I have explored a lot and worked with very nice projects and good team.
Nice co-workers
Hard part is health insurance, lot of money not sufficient benefits.
most enjoyable part of job is team.
Good Place to Work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2016
Good people to work with. Good place to work. Break times, laid back as long as the work gets done. Good management in all areas.

Hard having to re-mop or re-clean window. I enjoy to collage atmosphere.
professional and very productive
Front Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2016
My typical day would start off with separating university packages and mail. Putting them into the mailing system and distributing incoming and outgoing mail
Working at Norfolk State
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2016
I needed money while attending school and Norfolk State really care about their students situations. I was granted work study every time i requested it. That was my first experience really learning about customer service.
Pros
I could do my homework at work
Cons
Schedules
Great learning experience.
o Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 28, 2016
Working here at Norfolk State as an assistant was a great learning experience. I've learned many things about the business side of this. Management was very kind and made the experience enjoyable.
Productive work environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2015
I enjoy working where I can learn the ins and outs, when it comes to event planning and production. I also learned a lot about promotions and marketing, while working there and how the department I work in,does a lot for the school by having fund raisers and charity events.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
N/A
A wonderful place to build skills
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2016
I loved working and attending school at NSU. There are so many people who are there who wants to see you succeed. its an amazing company to work for.
Pros
Loving and hardworking enivorment
Cons
Work study position
A productive environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2015
I carried out all of the duties to manage the office.
My supervisor gave me free will to be creative and independent in the office.
I learned that I am a great leader.
The office were flexible with my school schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being trusted by fellow colleagues to perform the duties required to have a successful and professional work environment,
Pros
Networking within the workplace, Flexibility
Benefits
Professional
NSU-STARS lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
As a lab assistant I am required to oversee the computer lab to ensure no guidelines are broken. I answer any questions one may have to the best of my knowledge. Also, I assist in helping students sign up for tutoring should they need it.
A good workplace to gain experience for a better job elsewhere.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  NorfolkMay 4, 2012
I don't know why people on this site give this employer such high ratings. The department where I use to work was pretty much micro-managed and other departments were laid back. The hardest part of my job is getting anything done around there. Management creates positions for their husbands, wives, friend, and relatives. This employer's working environment is and will always be a place of socializing and gossiping. I enjoyed going to lunch to get a break from it all.
Pros
it's a job with benefits.
Cons
low pay for the majority, for upper management very high salaries, and a few between salaries.
A great place to enhance your professional development skills
Assistant Director of Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2012
A typical day at work involved working directly with parents and students, developing and managing the recruitment plan. I learn how to multi-task several office responsibilities. My daily responsibilities included planning the University's Open House, managing the admissions counseling staff, admissions processing staff, student worker staff and student recruitment team, managing the campus visitation program, and developing a sound recruitment plan. I worked well with my co-workers to effectively accomplish the work flow and admissions goals. The most difficult part of the job was not having enough time to devote to the organizational activities of the student recruitment team. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing the student recruitment module.
Pros
opportunity to travel to various places
Cons
compensation was low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2