Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Always on probation and declining student enrollment
Professor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Trying to help students learn
Cons: provost, admins, politics and people in power who are out of date
this University is more about protecting the Admins in power than anything else. The equipment and software is not up to current industry standards and the students are being cheated. I would not recommend to anyone to work here because if you try to make a difference, you are shut down by those trying to hold into their illusion of competency. The facts speak for themselves, disgraced Presidents, in fear of losing accreditation, and students who are not being provided the best opportunity to learn.
I loved this job!! Very easy-going place all of the employees knew and helped one another very professional and relaxed place to work!
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Great experience, helpful staff
Love love love working here! I was just a work study student so I wasn't qualified for the benefits but for the position I held I was very satisfied! I worked there while going to college at the same time very reasonable and very nice people! It could get challenging at times but it was worth it!
Sales Associate
IT Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Worked overnight and didn't have a problem the company saw me as an asset rather than just another worker and allowed me various days off to continue my schooling while working for the company
Friendly staff and faculty
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 27, 2015
Friendly staff and faculty lots of collaboration opportunities. Student success oriented, strong heritage and background.
Fun, Friendly, and very productive workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2015
I love working here as a receptionist. I am a full-time student during the school year and it is a work studies job so I only work there during the school year (we are currently on summer break). It gives me the experience that I need with front desk assistance, reception, filing documents, etc. They are very good people and they are very flexible with my school schedule.
day at NSU
Assistant Men's Coach (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: being around the student athletes
Cons: environment and culture
A typical day includes getting travel ready for the season. Also working out players and practice. I learned working at norfolk state what not to do in running a collegiate program. The management of the athletic department was not the best. Members of the staff lost there jobs due to money issues. Meaning that the athletic department wasn't doing any major fundraising. The hardest part of the job was doing multiple full time jobs within a job. The most enjoyable thing i liked about the job was being around a sport which i love and the competition.
Flexible schedule to meet my needs.
Administrative Asst (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Company picnic
Cons: n/a
Hardest part of job was not having a certain time to get off based on workload. Met a lot of people from different walks of life.
Productive work environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours
Cons: N/A
I enjoy working where I can learn the ins and outs, when it comes to event planning and production. I also learned a lot about promotions and marketing, while working there and how the department I work in,does a lot for the school by having fund raisers and charity events.
Nice atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 17, 2015
Nothing about this job was typical. With this job I can be doing one project today and something totally different tomorrow. That was fine with me. I did whatever my supervisor ask of me. Majority of the time I wrote the minutes she recorded earlier that day, file a lot of different paper work and folders, make copies, create labels, fax, etc. I learned how to use a typewriter... a couple of times. My supervisor was extremely nice and flexible. She didn't mind me asking questions and I had lots of them. Nothing was hard about the job. Since I was so far away from home I enjoyed seeing my supervisor everyday because she was so nurturing like my own mother.
A productive environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Networking within the workplace, Flexibility
Cons: Benefits
I carried out all of the duties to manage the office.
My supervisor gave me free will to be creative and independent in the office.
I learned that I am a great leader.
The office were flexible with my school schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being trusted by fellow colleagues to perform the duties required to have a successful and professional work environment,
Going down the hill
Assistant Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee), Math DeptMay 1, 2015
This school has probably more administrators than teaching faculties. The enrollment has gone down about 20% for the last two years due to management mistakes. But the faculties were cut more than 20% and administrators virtually all stay with their fat salaries. The way it is going, in the near future, if there is any future for this school, there will be one administrator for every 5 students! (And may be one teaching faculty for every 25 students.)
Very Interactive place to work
SpartanCard Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: breaks
Assist with the daily operations of the SpartanCard Office to include: Answering the telephone, assisting all University faculty, staff, students and affiliates with all SpartanCard issues and greeting all customers that come into the office with a pleasant temperament.
Productive and hands on working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 25, 2015
Pros: co-workerss
Cons: short breaks
Emphasize tasks that demonstrate your organizational skills. Most weeks you work with the sales team to address any pressing customer service issues.
What I learned about the job Ihad
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 4, 2015
The job I previously had taught me to better manage my time, work hard at all time, put in any extra effort I can in my department as well others, to be efficient, on time and a team player.
Help assist OIT staff with imaging, correcting applications and overseeing work study students
OIT Graduate Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 1, 2015
I have learned some management skills as part of my job is to oversee the work study students and to make sure that they come on time and are knowledgeable of their tasks and duties.
desk duty
Resident Advisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 28, 2015
While working the desk in a residential Hall/Dormitory,I had a chance to learn about different people who visit and live in these dorms. i also leanr and enhanced basic skills like public speaking and costumer service.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Office of Information Technology Student Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2015
This is a work study job. I have learned how to manage my time and prioritize my work. This job also allows me to be flexible with my nursing work and my schedule
Experience
Disability and International Student Services (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 16, 2015
It gave me experience with disabled students. It also gave me more experience on data entry as well as reception work. I would be the only person in the office sometimes but it never slowed down or failed. I always stayed on top of new information and how to assist the students.
A day in the life of a Dorm Supervisor
Residential Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free room and board, student interaction
Cons: being on-call 24/7
A typical day of work for me is filled with constatnt interaction with my residents. Supervising my staff team to make sure each resident's need is being communicated and responded to. I complete light paperwork, conduct safety and wellness checks on each floor, and keep each resident focused on their academics
Toughest job I ever loved and I learned so much in the process.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: diverse employees, great special events, great learning environment
Working for an academic institution is a tough job. You get to work with diverse groups of people including faculty, staff and students, which gives all employees the best working environment. A typical day involved work on multiple projects including website redesign, the President's Annual Report, the university magazine, special events and ever-present crisis events. I learned how to work with different generations of people and I will be eternally grateful for that experience.