Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Production and fun workplace
Storeroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2017
A typical day at work is being active. Providing supplies for the campus. I leaned good customer service. The management of Norfolk state is pretty fair I just believe the staff should be paid a lot more.
Student oriented facillity.
Psychiatric clinical nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 16, 2017
Opportunity for students to have one on one assistance as needed. Excellent faculty/student relationship. Student counseling provided early in semester and as needed.
teamwork
Military Services and Veterans Affairs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 12, 2017
Culturally diverse
meets needs of military student, spouse and dependents
learned the friction point of the needs of the university and military services
Hardworking faculty and staff with limited resources
Professor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 10, 2017
It can be difficult to have a work/life balance with the the heavy course load, 8 hours of office hours, and involvement on committees. In comparison to the faculty who work at other state institutions, salaries are low. However, the faculty and staff are collegial, and most of the students, who come with multiple academic and social challenges, try their best to work hard and succeed.
Pros
colleagues, benefits
Cons
class load, salary
Productive and learning environment
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 7, 2017
Most days I would be charged with maintaining student files, preparing letters to various persons or organizations (i.e. state nursing board). I learned the production of student manuals and the Director assisted and instructed me on the use of Excel. It was a wonderful place to put customer service skills to use as you dealt with students, parents and those that were applying for positions. It was a pleasant place to work although sometimes there would be a hectic atmosphere
Pros
Able to prioritize work assigned without interruption
Cons
Short breaks
Work Study
JudicialAffairs/ Student Relations (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504August 24, 2017
This was great to make some extra money while enrolled at school. The personnel were flexible, understanding, and professional. You learn a lot before you get into the real work world.
typical day in any given week
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2017
Show up early. Start on projects from the previous day. Have meeting about the upcoming projects. Have lunch at some point. Help students with their challenges. Come back the next day and repeat the process.
Pros
Good team, good general vision
Cons
long meetings, and lack of clarity on vision implementation
a great place to work
Administrative Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 9, 2017
You'll get to know some amazing people, form lasting connections, work hard, play hard, and let's not forget educational waivers.A typical day can consist of handling low-intensity daily tasks while conversing amiably with one's co-workers to hunting down missing equipment building to building and interacting with faculty and staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is the low-pressure yet goal-oriented office culture.
Fun workplace
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 8, 2017
I was under contract. I was only there for a month. This was not a permanent position. There is nothing that I can really say. I was not there long enough.
Very Stressful
Program Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 4, 2017
Un fortunately, my experience has not always been one of positive nature. Leadership change can affect the culture and due to the recent change of the guard, the work environment has changed significantly not for the better.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Little support
exciting job experience
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 2, 2017
The typical day was to to be on time and work diligently at answering patron questions.The culture of the university is a educational setting.The most part I really enjoyed was assisting patrons in an education setting and knowing that I was able to assist and answer library questions.
Pros
the freedom of learning and enhancing my education skills
Cons
first come first laid off
Productive workplace
Vocal Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2017
The work environment was conducive to much progress in gaining experience in the field of music. The students were very receptive and engaged in the study of there craft.
Typical for a work study job
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504July 26, 2017
Flexible hours that worked around my college schedule and offered study time and breaks in between. Worked with fellow students and a fun time planning and helping with school events.
Good place to work!
Professor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2017
It is a great place to work if you are passionate about education. There isn't much room for advancement in teaching from adjunct position and part time unless one has a Ph.D in the discipline taught. Full time professor positions offer a lot of growth potential and research opportunities.
Pros
Flexibility
Appropriate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2017
Was unprofessional in some instances. Expected jobs done with no resources or willingness from supervisors to help. Would not explain much to students that pay to go there. Renovations in order
Productive and Informative
Laboratory Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 5, 2017
Informative for individuals looking to expand their research career and graduate with lots of experience. Teaches how to work independently and solve problems.The workplace is quiet and it is necessary to be able to solve problems on your own (do independent research).
Assistant Teacher
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 3, 2017
● Cleaned room
● Pass breakfast and lunch
● Get the children ready for naps
● Clean sleeping mats
● Cleaned toys
● Cleaned kitchen
● Set up activities
Learning experience, making connections and helping the students
Student Admission (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2017
Work starts at 8 am I come in log on to the computer do my emails and set up campus tours. I learn how to communicate better on the phone and through emails to applicants. There are a mixture of people black and white we respect each other and focus on our work.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude people on the phone and through emails I have to find a way to inform them and not be on their level. Also the dress code business casual and always be on the alert because working here is like working in the oval office you never know who is watching. What i enjoy most is meeting new people and helping them also learning new things.
Pros
Make connections to get further in life
Cons
Can be unorganized
Diverse
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 9, 2017
-Reported day to day building operations
-Management was impartial
-Work environment was fun and fast paced. Truly engaging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job creating programs for university retention
Pros
Compensation (room & board)
Cons
Lack of consistent work schedule
Good
Spartan Technician (PC Technician) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2017
Good it was great the people that work there know a lot and are always willing to give information. Its a lot to be involved with on the campus to make your workday easier