Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2016
Norfolk State's faculty and staff absolutely love their students. It's a big family where the focus is on providing a quality education to our students. It's a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, job security, education options
A great place to work!
Procurement Officer, Procurement Services Office (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 12, 2016
Norfolk State University is a great place to start your career and to retire from. The campus community is warm and friendly.The hardest part about the job is deciding which activities on campus you wish to support after work.
Every day is a new challenge
RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 27, 2016
received a tremendous growth in computer networking and technology. i enjoyed all of my co workers it was a very enjoyable environment. But what i found to be the hardest part of this job was not the work or task but rather holding my partners responsible for their part of an assigned task. What was most enjoyable about this job was the opportunity to work with such a great group.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Good Place to Work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2016
Good people to work with. Good place to work. Break times, laid back as long as the work gets done. Good management in all areas.

Hard having to re-mop or re-clean window. I enjoy to collage atmosphere.
Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 17, 2016
Nice work environment.
Place where we can learn.
I have explored a lot and worked with very nice projects and good team.
Nice co-workers
Hard part is health insurance, lot of money not sufficient benefits.
most enjoyable part of job is team.
Great learning experience.
o Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 28, 2016
Working here at Norfolk State as an assistant was a great learning experience. I've learned many things about the business side of this. Management was very kind and made the experience enjoyable.
Undergraduate experience
Caribbean Student Association, President (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 20, 2016
I am proud to be an Alumnae of this prestigious University. I obtained my bachelors in Accounting and gained irreplaceable knowledge and friendships to last a lifetime.
Productive and Tedious
FIXED ASSET INTERN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 13, 2016
At Norfolk State i was set to do one or two jobs. The first, I would go across campus and locate different items around campus and document them. Next, I would go to the office and update the system on my findings.
NSU is famous for people working together to get the job done.
Instructor / Media Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2016
NSU is a family; it's that kind of corporate culture. While finances from the Commonwealth of Virginia, like other states, have dwindled over the years and required the university to make up the difference, overcoming those obstacles to achieve the goal is common at NSU. It's how the company works on a daily basis! They do it through committed staff who pull together to get it done.
Pros
family atmosphere, supportive staff
Cons
state financing, state legislature
Thankful for the opportunity
President Student Activity and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
It was a great experience for me. I had an opportunity to work with people from around the world. I learned the secrets to success in academics and in the working environment
Pros
Loved the discipline I gained
Cons
I hated that I had to leave, it has been hard since leaving Norfolk State University, I had no idea how sheltered I was keep.
Stable and secure place to work
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 15, 2016
A family oriented work environment great for gaining experience. I learned a great deal concerning higher education especially within the divisions of Business and Finance and also within Student Affairs.
Be Hold
Admissions Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2016
Enjoyed every minute of it even when dealing with angry students / parents, the staff was great and the managerial staff show true concern for not only the companies mission but the welfare of their staff.
great working relationship with director
WoMen's Economic Development Center (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2016
I have learned how important it is to connect and communicate with co-workers as well as with the community we served. Having an interconnectedness with the community gave me great joy knowing that I could be a help to those in the community that were in need.
Pros
great working relationship with co-workers
Growth in Material Science research
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2016
Observed circular dichroism when optically active matter absorbs left and right hand circular polarized light slightly differently.
Prepared P3HT films under ambient conditions by spin coating on microscope slides. Effectively familiarized with different techniques and machines including Deposition machine, spin coding, and measuring thickness of silver films
Pros
Work experience with Doctors & Phd students
Cons
N/A
day at NSU
Assistant Men's Coach (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2015
A typical day includes getting travel ready for the season. Also working out players and practice. I learned working at norfolk state what not to do in running a collegiate program. The management of the athletic department was not the best. Members of the staff lost there jobs due to money issues. Meaning that the athletic department wasn't doing any major fundraising. The hardest part of the job was doing multiple full time jobs within a job. The most enjoyable thing i liked about the job was being around a sport which i love and the competition.
Pros
being around the student athletes
Cons
environment and culture
professional and very productive
Front Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2016
My typical day would start off with separating university packages and mail. Putting them into the mailing system and distributing incoming and outgoing mail
Working at Norfolk State
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2016
I needed money while attending school and Norfolk State really care about their students situations. I was granted work study every time i requested it. That was my first experience really learning about customer service.
Pros
I could do my homework at work
Cons
Schedules
A wonderful place to build skills
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2016
I loved working and attending school at NSU. There are so many people who are there who wants to see you succeed. its an amazing company to work for.
Pros
Loving and hardworking enivorment
Cons
Work study position
A good workplace to gain experience for a better job elsewhere.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  NorfolkMay 4, 2012
I don't know why people on this site give this employer such high ratings. The department where I use to work was pretty much micro-managed and other departments were laid back. The hardest part of my job is getting anything done around there. Management creates positions for their husbands, wives, friend, and relatives. This employer's working environment is and will always be a place of socializing and gossiping. I enjoyed going to lunch to get a break from it all.
Pros
it's a job with benefits.
Cons
low pay for the majority, for upper management very high salaries, and a few between salaries.
Professional
NSU-STARS lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
As a lab assistant I am required to oversee the computer lab to ensure no guidelines are broken. I answer any questions one may have to the best of my knowledge. Also, I assist in helping students sign up for tutoring should they need it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2