Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Learning experience, making connections and helping the students
Student Admission (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2017
Work starts at 8 am I come in log on to the computer do my emails and set up campus tours. I learn how to communicate better on the phone and through emails to applicants. There are a mixture of people black and white we respect each other and focus on our work.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude people on the phone and through emails I have to find a way to inform them and not be on their level. Also the dress code business casual and always be on the alert because working here is like working in the oval office you never know who is watching. What i enjoy most is meeting new people and helping them also learning new things.
Pros
Make connections to get further in life
Cons
Can be unorganized
Diverse
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 9, 2017
-Reported day to day building operations
-Management was impartial
-Work environment was fun and fast paced. Truly engaging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job creating programs for university retention
Pros
Compensation (room & board)
Cons
Lack of consistent work schedule
Good
Spartan Technician (PC Technician) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2017
Good it was great the people that work there know a lot and are always willing to give information. Its a lot to be involved with on the campus to make your workday easier
Review
Work Study Student Finacial Aid (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 5, 2017
Here I learned about communicating with others and their problems and helping them effectively although it was only a work study job I still learned a lot.
These people are ONLY out for self! Stay away
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2017
I have never experience such an toxic environment to work in as long as been able to work. The management walk around with their nose in the air and don't care for any of there staff. The pay is poor, the work/home life is horrible. PLEASE save your time and energy and did not apply for a job here.
Enjoyable Environment
Adjunct Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 2, 2017
A typical day at work is to teach classes and conduct office hours. I have a good manager and if need, is available. The hardest part of the job is to see students not to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job is to impart knowledge to students and see it transferred.
Organized
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 23, 2017
I was a research assistant when I was at NSU. My time there was busy with programming an servo arm to open at a certain degree. I also enjoyed working with other people with different disciplines such as biology and business.
It was productive and comfortable
NSU Undergraduate Research Symposium (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 17, 2017
During my experience I learned a lot about how to handle laboratory work and about how to handle different personalities. I enjoyed my there; the setting was comfortable enough where we were encouraged to be ourselves.
Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2017
Technical programming development and enhancement support to users of Ellucian Colleague Student, Financial systems, IFAS/ONESolution Financial system.
Pros
Good IT systems
University envionment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504April 25, 2017
Management was available to address my needs and used a Laissez-faire management style. The actual building was in very poor condition, but I believe it has since been torn down. My associates became very close to me.
Pros
Connections to voluenteer and freelance work.
Cons
Building condiions (leaks, etc.)
Potential to be a great place to work.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2017
The institution is great. The office environment I work is serious and uptight. Which is unfortunate because otherwise it would be a great place to work. It gets busy at certain times of the year, but ultimately the amount of work is fair. The most enjoyable part of the job is resolving issues and helping out students and other departments within the university. The business casual dress and ability to take off when needed for work life balance is great. Also the director of the department is friendly and approachable. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the information flow of department matters and the fast pace during the busy times of the year. I am temp without benefits and low pay, so the compensation is not there for me and my role. However, if you are full time, it may be ok.
Pros
Dress, Friendly and approachable Sr. Mgmt, Hours
Cons
Depends on your department office
Great place to improve skills.
Research Assistant, Computer Science (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 15, 2017
At Norfolk State University, there are handful of opportunities to learn and improve ourselves. Labs are available which helps in practical learning and there are knowledgeable professors to seek help from.
Great Leadership Position
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2017
This position have given me great Leadership skills. A typical workday is working at the desk in the residents hall in which I am assigned to and answering questions and being there for my residents.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
N/a
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Norfolk State University is a very excellent place to work. The environment is very professional. NSU is a state facility and offers great benefits. I highly recommend them for employment.
Very Productive
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 13, 2017
Furthering my customer service skills and my Microsoft skills while working with very friendly peers. Conversations are very laid back and management is great. Very organized, friendly, and looks out for your best interest.
NCAA Division 1
Director of Volleyball, NCAA Division 1 (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 24, 2017
Incredible environment to be involved with! Amazing staff working at the University and dedicated athletes. Great hours, season schedule, and team bonding activities. Coaches all supplied their time and dedication to increase the skills and team environment.
Productive environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2017
This a fast paced environment that thrives on providing excellent customer service to on-campus residents. Excellent for current students to gain experience.
Productive and Tedious
FIXED ASSET INTERN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 13, 2016
At Norfolk State i was set to do one or two jobs. The first, I would go across campus and locate different items around campus and document them. Next, I would go to the office and update the system on my findings.
Undergraduate experience
Caribbean Student Association, President (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 20, 2016
I am proud to be an Alumnae of this prestigious University. I obtained my bachelors in Accounting and gained irreplaceable knowledge and friendships to last a lifetime.
Be Hold
Admissions Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2016
Enjoyed every minute of it even when dealing with angry students / parents, the staff was great and the managerial staff show true concern for not only the companies mission but the welfare of their staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2