Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

A great place to learn and work. Job culture was fair. A great opportunity for studens.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
Very interesting place to work never a dull moment. Always an opportunity to help others while working in a team environment. I learned how to enhance my people skills.
Pros
Exciting.challenging and rewarding
Cons
Some office politics bu a great place to work.
Productive and fun place to work.
Supervisor of Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 14, 2015
Reliable work hours.
Fun and courteous managers and customers.
love the hour long lunch breaks.
All departments work together towards a common goal.
day at NSU
Assistant Men's Coach (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2015
A typical day includes getting travel ready for the season. Also working out players and practice. I learned working at norfolk state what not to do in running a collegiate program. The management of the athletic department was not the best. Members of the staff lost there jobs due to money issues. Meaning that the athletic department wasn't doing any major fundraising. The hardest part of the job was doing multiple full time jobs within a job. The most enjoyable thing i liked about the job was being around a sport which i love and the competition.
Pros
being around the student athletes
Cons
environment and culture
Fun, Friendly, and very productive workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2015
I love working here as a receptionist. I am a full-time student during the school year and it is a work studies job so I only work there during the school year (we are currently on summer break). It gives me the experience that I need with front desk assistance, reception, filing documents, etc. They are very good people and they are very flexible with my school schedule.
Desk Rep
Information Technology Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Relaxing job, I worked here during classes at Norfolk State University. I answered phone calls all day, filed papers and made inventory lists.
Organization that strives for Excellance
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 8, 2015
Friendly Fun Environment, challenging and rewarding atmosphere. Can easily contact any department and plan and coordinate any task on your schedule.
Fun workplace with Family Environment
Spartan Tech (Current Employee) –  norfolk,vaOctober 6, 2015
Very down to earth and very relaxed. I love working the people of this university each and everyday. I would recommend a lot of people to join this university.
Nice atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 17, 2015
Nothing about this job was typical. With this job I can be doing one project today and something totally different tomorrow. That was fine with me. I did whatever my supervisor ask of me. Majority of the time I wrote the minutes she recorded earlier that day, file a lot of different paper work and folders, make copies, create labels, fax, etc. I learned how to use a typewriter... a couple of times. My supervisor was extremely nice and flexible. She didn't mind me asking questions and I had lots of them. Nothing was hard about the job. Since I was so far away from home I enjoyed seeing my supervisor everyday because she was so nurturing like my own mother.
Going down the hill
Assistant Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Math DeptMay 1, 2015
This school has probably more administrators than teaching faculties. The enrollment has gone down about 20% for the last two years due to management mistakes. But the faculties were cut more than 20% and administrators virtually all stay with their fat salaries. The way it is going, in the near future, if there is any future for this school, there will be one administrator for every 5 students! (And may be one teaching faculty for every 25 students.)
A productive environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2015
I carried out all of the duties to manage the office.
My supervisor gave me free will to be creative and independent in the office.
I learned that I am a great leader.
The office were flexible with my school schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being trusted by fellow colleagues to perform the duties required to have a successful and professional work environment,
Pros
Networking within the workplace, Flexibility
Benefits

Want to know more about Norfolk State University?

Ask a question
Fun place to work for.
Research Associate- Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 14, 2015
Great Place to work for. There is room for growth as long as you are willing to do so. The pay is good and vacation time is a plus.
Productive work environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2015
I enjoy working where I can learn the ins and outs, when it comes to event planning and production. I also learned a lot about promotions and marketing, while working there and how the department I work in,does a lot for the school by having fund raisers and charity events.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
N/A
Very Interactive place to work
SpartanCard Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2015
Assist with the daily operations of the SpartanCard Office to include: Answering the telephone, assisting all University faculty, staff, students and affiliates with all SpartanCard issues and greeting all customers that come into the office with a pleasant temperament.
Pros
location
Cons
breaks
NSU employment
Educational Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2015
I feel NSU is under- managed, and leaderless. i find that there is lot of great people that work there that are under used.
A day in the life of a Dorm Supervisor
Residential Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day of work for me is filled with constatnt interaction with my residents. Supervising my staff team to make sure each resident's need is being communicated and responded to. I complete light paperwork, conduct safety and wellness checks on each floor, and keep each resident focused on their academics
Pros
free room and board, student interaction
Cons
being on-call 24/7
Sales Associate
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Worked overnight and didn't have a problem the company saw me as an asset rather than just another worker and allowed me various days off to continue my schooling while working for the company
Toughest job I ever loved and I learned so much in the process.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Working for an academic institution is a tough job. You get to work with diverse groups of people including faculty, staff and students, which gives all employees the best working environment. A typical day involved work on multiple projects including website redesign, the President's Annual Report, the university magazine, special events and ever-present crisis events. I learned how to work with different generations of people and I will be eternally grateful for that experience.
Pros
diverse employees, great special events, great learning environment
Experience
Disability and International Student Services (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 16, 2015
It gave me experience with disabled students. It also gave me more experience on data entry as well as reception work. I would be the only person in the office sometimes but it never slowed down or failed. I always stayed on top of new information and how to assist the students.
Friendly staff and faculty
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 27, 2015
Friendly staff and faculty lots of collaboration opportunities. Student success oriented, strong heritage and background.
administration needs to be replace with people care about their employee
HR Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 10, 2014
nsu is a state agency of wich budget issues will always be in place. the school has low moral and has been for the pas five years. Once the look back and care about the employees, then things will turn around. NSU has a tendency to burn out good employees and reward those who do not follow policy
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no room for growth and development

4.2