Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2017
Technical programming development and enhancement support to users of Ellucian Colleague Student, Financial systems, IFAS/ONESolution Financial system.
Pros
Good IT systems
University envionment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23504April 25, 2017
Management was available to address my needs and used a Laissez-faire management style. The actual building was in very poor condition, but I believe it has since been torn down. My associates became very close to me.
Pros
Connections to voluenteer and freelance work.
Cons
Building condiions (leaks, etc.)
Potential to be a great place to work.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 18, 2017
The institution is great. The office environment I work is serious and uptight. Which is unfortunate because otherwise it would be a great place to work. It gets busy at certain times of the year, but ultimately the amount of work is fair. The most enjoyable part of the job is resolving issues and helping out students and other departments within the university. The business casual dress and ability to take off when needed for work life balance is great. Also the director of the department is friendly and approachable. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the information flow of department matters and the fast pace during the busy times of the year. I am temp without benefits and low pay, so the compensation is not there for me and my role. However, if you are full time, it may be ok.
Pros
Dress, Friendly and approachable Sr. Mgmt, Hours
Cons
Depends on your department office
Great place to improve skills.
Research Assistant, Computer Science (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 15, 2017
At Norfolk State University, there are handful of opportunities to learn and improve ourselves. Labs are available which helps in practical learning and there are knowledgeable professors to seek help from.
Great Leadership Position
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2017
This position have given me great Leadership skills. A typical workday is working at the desk in the residents hall in which I am assigned to and answering questions and being there for my residents.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
N/a
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Norfolk State University is a very excellent place to work. The environment is very professional. NSU is a state facility and offers great benefits. I highly recommend them for employment.
Very Productive
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 13, 2017
Furthering my customer service skills and my Microsoft skills while working with very friendly peers. Conversations are very laid back and management is great. Very organized, friendly, and looks out for your best interest.
NCAA Division 1
Director of Volleyball, NCAA Division 1 (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 24, 2017
Incredible environment to be involved with! Amazing staff working at the University and dedicated athletes. Great hours, season schedule, and team bonding activities. Coaches all supplied their time and dedication to increase the skills and team environment.
Productive environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2017
This a fast paced environment that thrives on providing excellent customer service to on-campus residents. Excellent for current students to gain experience.
Productive and Tedious
FIXED ASSET INTERN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 13, 2016
At Norfolk State i was set to do one or two jobs. The first, I would go across campus and locate different items around campus and document them. Next, I would go to the office and update the system on my findings.
Undergraduate experience
Caribbean Student Association, President (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 20, 2016
I am proud to be an Alumnae of this prestigious University. I obtained my bachelors in Accounting and gained irreplaceable knowledge and friendships to last a lifetime.
Be Hold
Admissions Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2016
Enjoyed every minute of it even when dealing with angry students / parents, the staff was great and the managerial staff show true concern for not only the companies mission but the welfare of their staff.
Stable and secure place to work
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 15, 2016
A family oriented work environment great for gaining experience. I learned a great deal concerning higher education especially within the divisions of Business and Finance and also within Student Affairs.
A great place to work!
Procurement Officer, Procurement Services Office (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 12, 2016
Norfolk State University is a great place to start your career and to retire from. The campus community is warm and friendly.The hardest part about the job is deciding which activities on campus you wish to support after work.
Good Place to Work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2016
Good people to work with. Good place to work. Break times, laid back as long as the work gets done. Good management in all areas.

Hard having to re-mop or re-clean window. I enjoy to collage atmosphere.
Thankful for the opportunity
President Student Activity and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
It was a great experience for me. I had an opportunity to work with people from around the world. I learned the secrets to success in academics and in the working environment
Pros
Loved the discipline I gained
Cons
I hated that I had to leave, it has been hard since leaving Norfolk State University, I had no idea how sheltered I was keep.
Great Place to Work
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2016
Norfolk State's faculty and staff absolutely love their students. It's a big family where the focus is on providing a quality education to our students. It's a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, job security, education options
great working relationship with director
WoMen's Economic Development Center (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2016
I have learned how important it is to connect and communicate with co-workers as well as with the community we served. Having an interconnectedness with the community gave me great joy knowing that I could be a help to those in the community that were in need.
Pros
great working relationship with co-workers
Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 17, 2016
Nice work environment.
Place where we can learn.
I have explored a lot and worked with very nice projects and good team.
Nice co-workers
Hard part is health insurance, lot of money not sufficient benefits.
most enjoyable part of job is team.
professional and very productive
Front Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2016
My typical day would start off with separating university packages and mail. Putting them into the mailing system and distributing incoming and outgoing mail