Norman Regional Health System Employee Reviews

Lab Assistant/Registrar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 30, 2017
There is new management who struggle to do the right thing for everyone. The pay is not comparable to other hospitals in the metro area. They do offer discounts on diapers. They also offer payroll deduction for somethings.
Family Oriented Workplace
FOOD SERVICE WORKER 1 (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 25, 2017
Being giving the opportunity to work at Norman Regional Health System was truly a pleasure. Everyone is friendly and helpful. If you ever needed anything there was someone there to help direct you and assist you with your situation. We had many days where the hospital would get slammed, or full to capacity but we managed to come together and pull through.
Staff (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 27, 2017
Friendly Environment, Friendly Staff, Great Benefits, Strong Core Values, Opportunities to grow, Education Assistance, Job Security.

Overall Great Place To Work.
Pay is not great, clinical staff is great--good luck
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 2, 2017
Depends on where you work but overall it is always busy. once again depending on department, management can be terrible and cutthroat. Their HR is biased and does not listen/does nothing for employees that file complaints. pay was low-balled. hardest and most enjoyable parts of working there were the patients. at the end of the day we're all in it for them and they can either be the reason you smile or the reason you've been irked.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short meal breaks, terrible HR, terrible management, stressful, poor pay
Struggling organization
Director of Decision Support (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 4, 2017
Considering the main purpose of the organization, taking care of the patients who come through the door, the organization does a fantastic job.
I think leadership is continuing to struggle with overall strategic direction and how to manage the owned physician practices
Pros
very good at taking care of patients
Cons
organizational leadership
Good place to work.
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJuly 22, 2017
Had several years at NRHS. Worked my way up to supervisor. Lots of training was always available. Employees were knowledgeable in there jobs, and cared for people. The culture for customer service was outstanding.
Pros
Employees cared for customers
Cons
No comment
Awesome environment
Coder/Auditor (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKJuly 17, 2017
Definitely recommended! Great training and benefits. A lot of employees have been there 20 plus years and all have said d it's a great company to work for.
Great company overall.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Healthplex - kitchenJune 23, 2017
NRHS is a great company to work for.
They have a lot to offer, from educational assistance to help further your career in healthcare to great benefits. And a very friendly work environment.
Pros
Great wages, friendly, willing to accommodate
Cons
Management could be better in many areas.
Great job and I work with awesome people
Nurse Auditor (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 4, 2017
I enjoy my job and work with great people; management is fair and makes me want to work hard for them. This hospital is a community hospital, so does not have the corporate atmosphere that many hospitals have.
Cons
The commute from Edmond, Ok
A warm, family-like environment; each day presented a new set of challenges..
Patient Access Supervisor, Educator, Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJanuary 3, 2017
Wonderful environment to work in, helping others in many ways applicable to healthcare. Co-workers embraced team spirit throughout the company.
NRHS as a whole cares about everyone.
Supervisor, Laboratory Support Services (OPDS) (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 30, 2016
Lots of ups and downs within management and operations. Changes are not discussed beforehand with staff. New CEO is trying and I see good things from him. I still enjoy being there.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Personal
Case Management has several perks
Case Management Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 20, 2016
My current position is very fast-pace with several interruptions.

I have learned how to stay calm and be extremely productive while others come and go, generally need me to do something for them.

I manage four phone lines, three fax lines, and the census and admissions reports. All while ensuring each account is gathered and faxed to the correct insurance company in a timely manner.

I work with a wonderful team of Case Managers. We all get along well and have each other’s back.
Was a very happy employee for over 5 years until my educational advancement became inconvenient to a new manager.
Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  SameJuly 12, 2015
I was asked to choose between my job and my masters degree program by a new manager, just over the half way point in a semester that cost me $6,000 to take. I chose to continue my education, and tendered my resignation.
Pros
Discounts at the scrub shop.
Cons
Very negative work atmosphere. Poor community opinion of the healthcare provider in general.
Stable work with perks!
Sterile Processing Technician II (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKFebruary 1, 2015
A typical day at work includes washing and reassembling surgical instruments, instrument sets, and equipment followed by proper sterilization and required paperwork.

I have learned a lot about hospital procedures, especially in the OR. I have developed a strong sense of professionalism when dealing with formally nauseous situations (for me) involving bodily fluids and traumatic bodily injuries.

I have learned the importance of department leadership. Departments function most efficiently when management works a leader, not just as the boss. This includes having current working knowledge of every aspect of the job in order to make the most logical and efficient judgement calls. Without knowing as much or more about the job as the employees a manager risks making seemingly confusing decisions based on emotion and mood rather than experience and understanding.

The hardest part of the job is safely handling the workload during busier days. Surgeries are scheduled regardless of labor resources available. Often times work piles up like mail with no end in sight. It can be overwhelming at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with pleasant coworkers. I also enjoy networking around the entire hospital and learning about different departments' responsibilities. I try to always adapt my work when possible to contribute to the efficiency for other departments. The best times are the slower days when we have a chance to catch our breath. It is like the sun coming out from behind parting storm clouds.
Pros
In house cafeteria, hospital pharmacy access, full-time benefits, PTOs (8 hours per bi weekly starting out), flexible scheduling, call pay
Cons
Unhealthy cafeteria food, 30 minute lunches, weekend call, improper staffing at times, dishonest yearly evaluations
Co-workers are the best part of the job. Lively and interested in promoting health.
Health Promotion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKApril 16, 2014
I like my job at Norman Regional, but am unable to advance beyond my current position. I want to stretch myself, as I have been in the same position for 8 years. I want to move from Oklahoma to a more progressive state in the arena of health care. Health promotion, wellness and prevention are areas that excite and energize me.
A typical day is spent seeing inpatients dependent upon tobacco products, talking with employee or community members who call my for support with quit efforts, possibly giving a talk to students at the local university or college about various aspects of tobacco dependency. I work with our wellness committee and took on the task of ordering and providing medela wipes to lactation rooms of our facilities for the comfort of patients and staff. I also volunteer as interium chair for Tobacco Free Cleveland County Coalition. I have learned that each person has something unique to offer when working on projects together, and how to blend our skills. I have learned to look for alternatives when "Plan A" doesn't work as expected. The hardest part of my job is seeing the disease and illness overcome patients I have come to know over the years. The most enjoyable part of the job is discovering new information that leads to better ways to accomplish goals.
Pros
Flexible schedule, supportive director, amazing co-workers
Cons
Difficult to educate staff and physicians about new concepts in care.
Community-owned hospital
Generalist in areas (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 10, 2013
Norman Regional Health System includes two hospitals in the Norman, OK area. It is currently operating as a community-owned hospital. The people are great and the facilities are well-maintained.
Growing health system
Cancer Registrar (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 30, 2013
Health System continues to expand. Decent benifits, local business discounts.
Depends what dept. you work in..
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 18, 2012
If your supervisor dislikes you, you are gone and nobody cares. Politics are paramount. If you're a good brown-noser, you may actually keep your job. If not, you are fired with a made-up excuse and can never be re-hired for any position. Don't mean to sound critical but, this is the truth.
Pros
pays okay.
Cons
too many chiefs, not enough indians.