Norman Regional Health System Employee Reviews

Stable work with perks!
Sterile Processing Technician II (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKFebruary 1, 2015
A typical day at work includes washing and reassembling surgical instruments, instrument sets, and equipment followed by proper sterilization and required paperwork.

I have learned a lot about hospital procedures, especially in the OR. I have developed a strong sense of professionalism when dealing with formally nauseous situations (for me) involving bodily fluids and traumatic bodily injuries.

I have learned the importance of department leadership. Departments function most efficiently when management works a leader, not just as the boss. This includes having current working knowledge of every aspect of the job in order to make the most logical and efficient judgement calls. Without knowing as much or more about the job as the employees a manager risks making seemingly confusing decisions based on emotion and mood rather than experience and understanding.

The hardest part of the job is safely handling the workload during busier days. Surgeries are scheduled regardless of labor resources available. Often times work piles up like mail with no end in sight. It can be overwhelming at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with pleasant coworkers. I also enjoy networking around the entire hospital and learning about different departments' responsibilities. I try to always adapt my work when possible to contribute to the efficiency for other departments. The best times are the slower days when we have a chance to catch our breath. It is like the sun coming out from behind parting storm clouds.
Pros
in house cafeteria, hospital pharmacy access, full-time benefits, ptos (8 hours per bi weekly starting out), flexible scheduling, call pay
Cons
unhealthy cafeteria food, 30 minute lunches, weekend call, improper staffing at times, dishonest yearly evaluations
Co-workers are the best part of the job. Lively and interested in promoting health.
Health Promotion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKApril 16, 2014
I like my job at Norman Regional, but am unable to advance beyond my current position. I want to stretch myself, as I have been in the same position for 8 years. I want to move from Oklahoma to a more progressive state in the arena of health care. Health promotion, wellness and prevention are areas that excite and energize me.
A typical day is spent seeing inpatients dependent upon tobacco products, talking with employee or community members who call my for support with quit efforts, possibly giving a talk to students at the local university or college about various aspects of tobacco dependency. I work with our wellness committee and took on the task of ordering and providing medela wipes to lactation rooms of our facilities for the comfort of patients and staff. I also volunteer as interium chair for Tobacco Free Cleveland County Coalition. I have learned that each person has something unique to offer when working on projects together, and how to blend our skills. I have learned to look for alternatives when "Plan A" doesn't work as expected. The hardest part of my job is seeing the disease and illness overcome patients I have come to know over the years. The most enjoyable part of the job is discovering new information that leads to better ways to accomplish goals.
Pros
flexible schedule, supportive director, amazing co-workers
Cons
difficult to educate staff and physicians about new concepts in care.
Depends what dept. you work in..
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 18, 2012
If your supervisor dislikes you, you are gone and nobody cares. Politics are paramount. If you're a good brown-noser, you may actually keep your job. If not, you are fired with a made-up excuse and can never be re-hired for any position. Don't mean to sound critical but, this is the truth.
Pros
pays okay.
Cons
too many chiefs, not enough indians.
Community-owned hospital
Generalist in areas (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 10, 2013
Norman Regional Health System includes two hospitals in the Norman, OK area. It is currently operating as a community-owned hospital. The people are great and the facilities are well-maintained.
Growing health system
Cancer Registrar (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 30, 2013
Health System continues to expand. Decent benifits, local business discounts.

2.7