North American Lighting Employee Reviews

Upper management is a joke and is based on who you know
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALNovember 20, 2016
Worked in management for over a year. The assembly AGM is very bias and is very hard to work for. Her attitude and culture she creates makes the atmosphere very difficult. Would be a great place to work if she would leave (get fired). The work balance was 60+ hours every week and their new launches are a joke.
Pros
Hourly people are great to work with.
Cons
Upper management
MACHINE OPERATOR/ ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALNovember 16, 2016
Fast-pace working environment. I learned how to be patient when working in confined areas. Young overhead. Some more experienced than others. The hardest part of my job is having to tolerate unnecessary profanity. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting company quota and going home.
Pros
meeting new faces and staying busy to make the day go by
Cons
inexperienced supervision
Decent hours and pay even as a temp. But generally a toxic environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALNovember 10, 2016
In my time spent working night shift at NAL I experienced many things, one is the generally asinine decision making by the supervisor/ team leaders sometimes sending entire lines home and forcing the more productive and versatile lines to work longer to try and meet the sometimes overwhelming numbers.

The machines were also a major problem, sometimes taking the technicians hours to fix, significantly increasing your build time.

The jobs themselves are not difficult at all, though do take some time to get used to the overall rate that you need to build in order to get out in the 8 hours your supposed to make them in.

Overall it is a decent job that's worth sticking around at if you can get past the general stupidity of your co-workers and rediculous hours.
Pros
Decent pay and hours frequent breaks
Cons
Varying schedule and generally stupid management
They take great care of their workers.
Operator/Certifier/Fill in Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILNovember 3, 2016
At NAL, their is always room to move up the ladder. They are open to suggestions on improving the plant/company. HR was very attentive. I was one of 1,000 or so employees, and the HR manager knew who I was by name. The insurance benefits are out of this world. They put 3℅ of the amount you make into your 401K whether the employee contributes or not. The only bad thing is the fact that everything is based on seniority, so getting on day shift is pretty much impossible for the newer employees. Over all, a great place to work. They pay well also.
Cons
Everything is based on seniority.
Productive challenging workplace
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALOctober 17, 2016
Great place to work and grow as a professional. I received on the job training and the employer is encouraging. Freedom to be my own boss and work at my own pace. There was a job to be done and you were expected to do it well.
Wonderful Establisment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALOctober 1, 2016
I enjoyed working for there. I was always busy which I enjoy, it was a very organized and a great company to work for. Unfortunately due to my move to California I was not able to continue working there.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, 401k
Cons
Other people preying on you
ehhh
Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILSeptember 21, 2016
ehhhh, if u want paid well...good place to go. A lot of overtime, good benefits. People are easy to get a long with and people are helpful. I had a bad experience there with management and that made me think other choices for work.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
ton of overtime, no home life
poor management
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILSeptember 12, 2016
poor management, does not care about its workers, you are only a number, only good thing is that it pays good. C workers are great, work 72 hours a week, six days a week....
Pros
pay
Cons
bad management
Great place to work to raise a family
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALSeptember 9, 2016
I had a great experience when I worked there. Training could be better but for the most part its a easy job to learn. Follow SOS and you'll do fine.
Pros
Insurance, pay for this area
Cons
NO job security
good job
Quality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 31, 2016
good job good work environment and people to work with. Hours sometimes can be long. Good Pay and benefits. Schedule can be long during week sometimes
Hard working people driven by demands of Corporate ideas
Operator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILAugust 17, 2016
NAL manufactures light assemblies for brands such as Nissan, Toyota and Ford. The company runs by the "Toyota Way" a manufacturing process that keeps ur on hand supply low and you only make what you need to ship and order. Large plant employee over 1100 people with good pay and benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Working saturdays and the draft system
Good benefits and solid pay....but it ends there
Manufacturing Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 10, 2016
This is a job that pays well and will plug you into the automotive world if that is your desired career path. The structure at the Alabama plant is non-existent, they provide zero training as they are always so far behind to do so, the hours are long (typically 60 per week),engineering disciplines are treated with little respect and have no decision making abilities. This job may be suitable for an operator, team leader, or supervisor looking to cash in on all the overtime pay. For an engineer....I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. Look elsewhere
Benefits
Cons
Structure, zero training, long hours, no engineering, bad reputation
fun work environment
Lens Inspector (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALJuly 22, 2016
meeting up with co workers to talk and exercising before you start to work. I learned the importance of a good headlight and how to detect if its defected or not. Management was not authorizing in a professional manner at the time of opening. I just try to stay to myself and get my work done, other than meet and greet before work begins. The hardest part of the job was to work with management to get the system to run smoothly, by suggesting someone in management to do a hands-on at set times. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I could be depended upon in the worst of situations, and be able to do a job well done.
Pros
Great benefits
Hours are horrible
Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, IL 61944July 20, 2016
you could work 65 hours a week and 30 the next. you never know. they don't tell you if you are working saturday until you leave on friday and it's just not a good place for someone with a family.
nice place to have a team
Team Leader, Forward Lighting Coatings and Molding (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALJuly 18, 2016
I enjoy leading my team. The turnover rate is too high. Team leaders are expected to be supervisors and team leaders while supervisors are just supervisors.
Pros
compensation
Cons
upper management
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Flora, ILJuly 15, 2016
Fast paced environment. Solid benefits. Plenty of room for advancement. Great environment as far as coworkers everyone is very friendly and cinsiderate
Overall good company
Sales Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJuly 9, 2016
Good work/life balance, promotions take a long time. Benefits are decent, good 401K plan, profit sharing, blue cross blue shield of Illinois. Management varies depending on department.
Great Place to work!
Industrial Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALJuly 1, 2016
I enjoy working here. Everyone is very nice and helpful. They are always eager to teach me new things. They want me to be able to receive as much training and experience as possible.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
parking
Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILJune 16, 2016
Your work position was assigned at the beginning of shift. Busy, fulfilling work. Inspection was highly important, defects would appear on the finished product and be scrapped. Scrap count needed to be kept low.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long walk to restroom anf cafeteria
very exciting to watch the growth of the company
Corporate Senior Trainer (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALMay 9, 2016
My typical consists of training and developing the new team members that we bring to grow our company. I love watching the growth of all the different back grounds that hire in with us.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short handed

2.8