North American Stainless Employee Reviews

Stressful, fast paced, unsafe
Electrical/Automation Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYJuly 8, 2017
Your Safety is your own responsibility. If you get hurt it will be blamed on you regardless of circumstances. Employees are good to work with for the most part. Management is very hostile.
Pros
Pay is good for the area.
Cons
Pay is unstable, Nearly half is incentive pay and up to management, There is no union contract to protect your rights.
long ago it was a great place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, INJune 27, 2017
i loved it at first but they sold out and many of my family and friends lost there jobs and or had to take extreme pay losses after 20 to 30 years of service
Pros
clean aand good co workers
Cons
low pay and sold out
You won't have much of a social life but your bank account will never be empty
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYJune 19, 2017
I absolutely loved working here. Everyone (management, team leads, co workers) were very easy to get along with and work with and always eager to lend a hand when needed. They use a 12 hour swing shift which I also adored because then I was able to get the best of both worlds. Due to the temp agencies struggling to keep their employees in the building there is loads of overtime offered, including some mandatory overtime if no one volunteers or NAS is shorthanded. Most of the time the job is fast paced, challenging and stressful but if you have a high tolerance for patience you will actually find this environment is a better fit for you than other employers. Because of the long hours being very abundant you won't have much of a personal life or social life but I can promise you will never be broke.
Pros
swing shift, many hours, benefits, salary, lots of overtime
Cons
swing shift, many hours, often shorthanded, mandatory overtime
good job, good pay, great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILMay 4, 2017
All in all a good place to work. Good team of employees and management. The best part of the job is being able to do your job without having to have constant supervision, but knowing you have a team when in need. Monday through Friday with lunch.
Pros
easy to get to. most holidays off
Cons
not much room for advancement
Fast-paced...very busy
Raw Materials Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYMarch 15, 2017
A typical day at work...you are busy from the time you arrive until the time you leave. Most of the management is great to work with. Really good benefits!!
Pros
the benefits
Great place to work for pay focused individuals
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYFebruary 14, 2017
Compensation and Benefits are great. Each job is laid out and is a repeated process day after day. There is not a hard part to any job, but I wouldn't say there is an enjoyable part to any job. The people employed at North American Stainless is what makes working there enjoyable.
Pros
Company holds a good position in the market and has never had any layoffs.
Cons
resistant to change
Good place to work, good benefits, good pay, great experience
Design Drafter, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYFebruary 9, 2017
After 15 years of employment by North American Stainless, There is a ton that can be learned from the people that work there. There is a lot of good people that are willing to help anyone that is willing to learn or take things to the next level. All around it is a good place to work and start a career.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay, never laid off anybody in the 15 years that I was there
Cons
poor communication between management and employees
Put in work and overtime and show you are willing to learn and good things should come
Caster Operator/ Torch Operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYFebruary 8, 2017
Took pride in my work. Dangerous job but I accepted it with open arms and enjoyed it. Put in lot of work and overtime. Made pretty decent money. If you don't like 12 hour swing shift then this is not the place for you. I liked it cause you only actually work 15 days a month. Overall good place to work.
Melt Shop Crane Op
AOD crane operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYJanuary 10, 2017
As an operator of a 330 U.S. Ton capacity overhead crane, the job was impressive at first. But after awhile I realized I didn't want it for a lifetime. In a melt shop, danger goes without saying. The pay was great, for a non college-degree position. The company slacked on replacement parts for the cranes. Especially hoist motors. Had to run the hoist on one motor for weeks while the second motor was rebuilt; and this happened multiple times. No excuse- there should always have been a rebuilt/new one on standby. Running on one motor for that length of time was unacceptable in my eyes. Too easy to prevent. Someone should have been held accountable. The company hired a lot of youth. There were a moderate number of unfriendly people. I met a few people I liked. Make no mistake, hourly wage was not that impressive; you are highly dependent on monthly incentive which may be minimal at times of transformer explosions, perforated furnace and/or AOD vessel, and other catastrophic failures that go along with molten steel. But the incentive is usually good. Catastrophic failures are are few and far between. If you can tolerate it as a career, and plan for retirement, you will achieve it, so long as you live to that age.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Swing shift, no bathroom or lunch unless relieved.
Great place to make good money
Packer (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, KYJanuary 3, 2017
I worked in the packing field. They would show us the orders and the steel sheets would come off the crane. An i,would wrap them i, their proper pallet boxes and send them to the right locations
A very good company to work for.
Electrical/Automation Tech. (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYNovember 23, 2016
I started there in 2003 straight out of college, a very good learning experience, and a great place to work they take good care of their employees.
Terrible place to work.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYNovember 21, 2016
They treat you awful at this place the benifits aren't that great and it's a extremely dangerous place to work. You will be miserable working at NAS!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Dangerous, dirty, no lunch or breaks in a 12 hr shift.
great
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92504March 16, 2016
great place to work and learn the industry. good management lots of work and best stretch house on the west coast. lots of capabilities
Free for all
Automation technician (Former Employee) –  Long productsDecember 27, 2015
NAS is in constant confusion. Everyone employed there is in constant competition with each other. The people are rude, and discriminate against age. I would never consider working there again.
Pros
Cons
Very poor management.
Productive and Easy Going
Traffic Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYSeptember 14, 2015
Great place to work with friendly management. Togetherness within the workplace with the other employers. Room for movement within the company. An overall great place to work that gave me great experience.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Mundane
NAS wasn't a "fun" place to work, you were there getting paid a good salary and wass expected to give 100% to achieve good producction & quality.
Quality Control Technical Rep (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KY 41045July 6, 2015
I would review quality physically as well as written form from shift inspections. I would use my experience to best send the correct type of material to customers that would best benefit from said quality. I worked hand in hand with upper management from different department to meet customers on time delivery. I worked well with my co-workers offering my knowledge when required to help them
meet their objective. The hardest part of my job was not being able to fix all the problems. This actually was impossible being I worked as a fully integrated stainless steel mill, but my goal was always to give 100% to try and achieve my personal goal. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with all departments and put our minds together to correct or fix any issues that would slow down our goal of 100% customer satisfactory.
Pros
Dinners with customers & vendors, traveling to processors, & being salary.
Cons
No one ever wanted to own up to their line causing a quality issue, sso I would have to shut the line down and find the origin of the problem, the plus to tis wass I got very good at trouble shooting and preventing quality issues
Physically demanding
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYApril 17, 2015
Safety check list on crane and fork lift. View any safety hazards in area and report if need be. Set-up machine machine for quality product. Reporting quality issues to management & co-workers. Hardest part is standing 95% of the shift. The enjoyable part of the job is the benefits.
Fast pace, fun enviroment with great people to work with.
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYDecember 12, 2014
Fast pace environment with many opportunities to meet different people of cultural backgrounds. Great employees to interact with to make the day go by faster. The hardest part of my job would most likely be the swing shift schedule. The best part of my job would most likely be an occasional rude or picky truck driver.
Very Good Engineering Internship
Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYOctober 29, 2014
Typical day at work consisted of finding issues with the line machines and either finding the replacement part or redesigning an upgraded part to avoid the flaw. Designed a fully automated air dryer to which would adjust to the width of stainless steel.
Clerk
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYOctober 8, 2014
Unload trucks, coded merchandise, received Purchase orders, tracked merchandise in system, log of material daily, acid inventory, bill of lading and other paperwork, filed, answer phone, packaged material to ship.
Pros
worked 14 days a month, incentitive program
Cons
12 hours swing shift, didn't see family because of sleeping routine, no place for advancement