North Carolina Central University Employee Reviews

The most enjoyable part of the job
Undergraduate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 9, 2017
Working as an undergraduate research associate at North Carolina Central University helped me in so many ways than one. I was able to work in multiple labs and gaining knowledge that I can use STEM industry
Great atmosphere
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 1, 2017
High paced environment that kept moving and requiring your brain to adapt to the situation. Got to meet a lot of different types of people that showed me different experiences.
Enjoyed working at the university.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 31, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at the university. It brought many opportunities to network with people in the criminal justice field.The professors in the department were a pleasure to work with during my employment.
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
Have to make up hours if you miss a day.
Business based and productive level of working
Administrative Assistant (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 20, 2017
Working at NCCU was a great experience for me. There leniency because I was a student who was working but I was also able to volunteer during my open hours. My assistance was always accepted. My co-workers and boss were all very understanding of my abilities and strengths and didn't mind teaching me new skills in areas where I lacked. If I had not had to move after graduation, I would have been willing to keep this job and position.
Pros
Helpful co-workers and boss, quiet office to get work done, calm climate, easy scheduling
Cons
n/a
Fairly Easygoing, Kind of a Double Edged Sword
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 20, 2017
It is a bit different than what I expected. While we occasionally built new products and tackled needed projects, most of the work was supporting older applications we did not create. I learned that it is incredibly difficult to get people in higher ed to try something new. The management can be quite resistant to try doing things differently. On interviewing with the company, I thought I would be surrounded by people who were eager to write good code. This, unfortunately, was not the reality. The most enjoyable part of working here was working on projects that had some kind of influence in the student's success.
Pros
Relaxed pace, Many problems to work on
Cons
Management is a bit reluctant to tackle on needed projects, especially things that would help boost the school's image
Interesting people
Intern - Human Resources Dept (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 10, 2017
I am working as an intern in the Human Resources Department. I love working here. I have friendly co-workers that are team players and I enjoy the flexible schedule.
Provided students good and needed academic support.
Director of Student in the Department of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 9, 2017
I think I developed a unit that provided Nursing students with academic support other majors did not receive at the university at that time. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting students in becoming registered nurses. The hardest part of the job was registration periods because the unit was understaffed.
Pros
Assisting students
Cons
I lived in Greensboro, NC and traveled to Durham, NC daily.
Helped in Career Development
Instructor/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 5, 2017
Working at NCCU has been vital to my development as a scientist and a programmer. The staff are supportive. I have developed teaching and programming skills.
Open learning enviorment
EVS Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 29, 2017
Good job. But some of the communication relating to up coming events tend to be communicated a little late. The most enjoyable part of the job is the up close and personal contact with staff and students.
Pros
Room to grow
Cons
Communication
Wonderful
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 28, 2017
I worked in the office with others, but I had my own room which was bittersweet. I enjoyed my colleagues and even getting to know some of the students in that department.
This was a fun summer job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 28, 2017
This was a summer job, I do not currently work there because It was only for two months. While there I learned a lot of important office and work skills.
Review
Nutrition Interim - Various Child Care Facilities (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 22, 2017
In my internship at North Carolina Central University, I had to work with different child care places. I find that nutrition education is needed at all ages.
Not a team environment, at times toxic
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  NCCUJune 22, 2017
Many have a poor work ethic, but that unfortunately flows from the top of the management chain.

Cons:

Hours are long; Pay is LOW; No merit based pay increases,

parking is expensive ($50 a month for reserved parking spot)

Benefits are mediocre, even worse for a family plan

Pros:

cafeteria
Really fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 19, 2017
I really love the almost atmosphere that the people create also the friendly people that work there, which can make your experience better and the students.
Fast-paced, each day is different
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 19, 2017
Overall, a great place to work! Each day is something new. Everyone in the office are very nice and great to work with. The director is very nice and understanding.
Productive and friendly staff
Graduate Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 14, 2017
Great experience, knowledgeable faculty members, and creative teaching methods. Faculty members are great mentors to student body as well. Very experienced faculty members!
Pros
Faculty not too large to have one on one with students.
Cons
n/a
productive workplace
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 1, 2017
i learned a lot of business working at this job. I learned how to talk professional and answer phone calls. also learned how to file paperwork it was a great time
Enjoyable Workplace
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 30, 2017
I loved working as an admissions counselor at NCCU. Being able to work directly with students was an amazing experience. Serving the university in that capacity was extremely rewarding.
Productive and great working staff.
Library Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 26, 2017
Beginning, I would report to my supervisor to discuss the day's activities. I would work the information desk directing patrons or aid visitors in locating refrences. Also cataloged all literary works through inventory and data entry.
Pros
Great flexibility with work schedule. A great staff which exemplified leadership.
Cons
Limited work hours within the semester.
Great program
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 22, 2017
Learned how to sequence and annotate genes with the use of BLAST and gene finder. This avenue was great for development of being meticulous and putting bioinformatics into use.