North Carolina Public Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Low pay for what you do
Teacher/Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCAugust 30, 2017
Loved teaching and was good at it. Won awards. But, if you have a family be prepared to pinch pennies. For the time it takes to be a good teacher and the hours of preparation/stress...very difficult to find work life balance b/c of low pay unless you have other sources of income.
Pros
vacations
Cons
everything else
Love it
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  NcMay 15, 2017
I am a public high school teacher and have been teaching over 20 years. I love teaching. Point me where to go and I'll do it.
The only difference to me is the principal you work under and your budget for materials. That totally varies from year to year, from school system to system.
But if you love teaching, it's great! Not bad pay for 10 months, and you have the same vacations as your kids do, if you have kids.
Reliable work with benefits if you work full time
Cafeteria Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklinton, NCMarch 18, 2017
Traditional Cafeteria Work , Food production. As a substitute , Any school that you select at the interview will call you to work. Usually a day or two in advance and you can accept or not. Also they will ask you to drive the Bus in order to be full time
Pros
flexibility, lunch break, pay
Cons
cant be full time unless you drive the buses
misleading hiring practices
caferia associate (Former Employee) –  Onslow County, NCFebruary 21, 2017
The cafeteria hires under the misguided insinuation that employees can and will receive full time status. Once hired you find out "there is no full time unless you are a manager". If you are looking fir a 3 or 4 hour a day job. This is it. Upper management plays favorites.
Pros
.short work days and no weekends or nights.
Cons
friends and pets recieve management status over employees with more education and training.
Effective employment opportunity
Adolescent Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 22, 2016
There are opportunities for professional development. School administrators may or may not be knowledgeable of educational best practices and of district policies and procedures.
Pros
various locations
Cons
transitioning administration
Non-stop daily schedule
General Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Granville County, NCNovember 1, 2016
Working for NC Public School system has been a learning experience. Although I enjoy being an educator, it is time for me to transition back to what I enjoy best being the Business World.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Poor working environmnent and support
Bad management
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craven County, NCOctober 17, 2016
We're required to work excessive hours. Associate superintendents and other administrators had personal agendas at the expense of employees. This is not an employee friendly workplace. Teachers and employees are treated as expendable.
Pros
Holidays off.
bad work environment
teacher (Current Employee) –  Efland, NCOctober 31, 2015
one of the worst schools in orange county school system. no leadership from principal and central office administrators treat staff with disrespect. I will be leaving soon too.
Working with Students one on One
Inclusion Facilitator/EC One on One Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 5, 2015
Supports Student's Individual needs
Assists school staff
Student/Parent Liaison
Monitor behavioral students
In-School Suspension Support Staff
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Hard to reach all the students
I am a Retired Elementary Art Teacher in N. C.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wayne County Public SchoolsOctober 4, 2015
I worked for 32 + years in the NC Public School System as an Elementary Art teacher. I am now retired and enjoy a retirement check every month.

Yes, the work is hard. teachers must be dedicated and cooperative with a lot of impossible circumstances,yet do their best and rise over problems. Yes, we are often asked , "To do more with less".

I am proud of my 32 years of being able to teach Art to 32,000 students and they stop me on the street any time I go out to say hello and tell me how much they loved my classes.

I was surrounded my many wonderful other teachers in the many years I worked and loved my students, fellow workers and Principals.

I was an Art Major in college and always loved Art. The children loved Art, too and I was privileged to have employment to share my favorite and best talents with them.

No, I am not rich, but I had steady and dependable, respected employment for my entire working career. I am now enjoying retirement, and would consider a part time position to tutor or be useful in the current school in Goldsboro, NC.

Teachers do not get paid for the amount of work they actually do, which is continuous, but I always had a steady income, nice housing and a good car and plenty of the necessities of life.

I worked with educated people, had a safe environment to work in, had the love of thousands of children and the friendship of countless teachers and parents. I worked in a respected profession and will always be proud of working within the school system in NC and am grateful and lucky to have the opportunities I enjoyed.

In
  more... Retirement, I have a steady income, BCBS of NC Health Coverage, Dental, Eye, Life Insurance, and the love and respect of many people. I am very proud of the work I did and the progress many of the grown children I run across often in my community. I also had a fine career in Art.  less
Did not appreciate their teachers.
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 21, 2013
I am changing careers because of how teachers are treated in North Carolina.