North Carolina State University Employee Reviews

dead end job
refrigeratoon tech (Former Employee) –  centennial campusJanuary 14, 2017
University lies thru omission. No structure in place for advancement or any raises. Negotiated salary at hire is all you will ever get. Health nsurance cost is same as that bought on private market yourself. Only perk.....time accrues for sick days and vacation days immediately upon hire. If you are looking for low pay with days off this is your place to work. Poor scheduling led to many mandatory work weekends. Then you take a comp. Day off during the week. Lots of hidden agendas and politics. Several were laid off in other departments with upwards of 10 years vested in university positions. Job titles renamed and others hired in at lower pay etc.
Pros
days off
Cons
poor compensation...poor management
Big changes ahead, but a little stuck on the old ways...
Employee Development and Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 22, 2016
NC State is an innovative campus with a focus on students, collaboration, and innovation. With efforts to centralize programs and initiatives and increase communication across divisions and departments, NC State is moving along!

My direct supervisors have been amazing but, as in any bureaucratic organization, it can get a little political at times which can interfere with efficiency and innovation.
Pros
Innovative, general job security and benefits for full-time permanent employees
Cons
Decentralized efforts and communication
good mentor ship and excellent projects to work on
Graduate research assistant (Current Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCJanuary 27, 2017
Standard work-life balance and excellent opportunity to learn new skills. I learned good research and life skills. The management is very supportive. Workplace is healthy and professional. Hardest part of the job was workload and most enjoyable part of the job was to experience the thrill of discovery.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
less structured
Stay away, Run as fast as possible!
Delivery Driver for catering service (rave) (Former Employee) –  RALEIGH NCSeptember 21, 2016
The only hours you will work are the hours that the manager doesn't won't to work. With that been said you will work late Fridays and Saturdays every weekend and early every Sunday morning for $10 a hours with no benefits and no chance of going full time. Once you hit that year mark they give you over to some temporary service for a couple of months then hire you back on through n.c state this way they don't have to give you vacation time or benefits. So STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY IT'S a waste of your time and sad that a world-renowned school dose this to its employees.
Pros
the day you leave this foul place
Cons
No money, management sucks, long weekends.
Excellent
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 30, 2016
Excellent place to work, Great work culture, they care about employees. Their is great opportunity for advancement. I personally need a more challenging career.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
This position is not challenging enough for my skillset
Productive workplace where we provide students with a safe and engaging environment to live in
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of signing in to the office. At a minimum we are required to do 2 walks of the building to ensure residence hall procedures are being followed. A typical shift is from 4-8 and we do tasks that are assigned. I learned that time management is important because we have to get our school work done as well as resident hall assignments. My co-workers help as a team to complete assignments throughout the building. The hardest part of the job is handling certain situations with the university police that involve residents. The most enjoyable part would be finding the solution to problems in the building or with students and knowing your job is beneficial to them.
Pros
Helping students, not a hard job
Cons
Dealing with challenging situations between residents
Academic Environment, slow moving, low pay, no room for growth
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 27, 2016
The university overall is a good place to work. However, departments are extremely siloed and it's nearly impossible to work together across campus. Because it's state government there is so much red tape that all things move at a snail's pace. The benefits used to be better but have been dwindling over the past few years. We don't get raises. There is virtually no room for growth unless someone retires or dies. Pay is incredibly low compared to the public sector for similar jobs. In my particular department the management is awful. Micromanagers who are rude to their employees. My favorite part of the job is work/life balance. After 40 hours, you are not expected to work at all. In fact, it's prohibited. Although a lot of us do work more than 40 hours, it's not expected in most departments.
Pros
Work/life balance, hour lunches
Cons
Limited room for growth, low pay, slow pace
The most unorganized place I have ever worked
former Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  NC StateMay 26, 2016
To many chiefs and not enough Indians .
Could not get the supplies that were needed.
Micro Management by someone who was not even a lead. Then there are those personal relationships with certain employee's and upper management that give that employee the impression that they have permission to manage when they are just a housekeeper like the rest of us.
I was tired before I even started to work. You have to run around a hour trying to find equipment and supplies.
I think I may have worked there 10 days. I had to get out of there. I am a very organized person and I like to have everything in one place so I don't waste time running all over the place trying to find a broom and dust pan, or a vacuum cleaner ect..ect..
It drove me crazy. I could not work like that.
I had to quit for my own sanity.
benefits
Cons
Just horrible.It was the worst place I have ever worked.
An Enviroment With Low Moral and No Perks for Their Employees
Assignment Processor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was my rapport with customers that I communicated with from all over the country and engaging with them.

There was nothing hard about my job.

I found that some of the Immediare Supervisors were Unprofessional
Pros
Mon-Fri Schedule
Cons
Pay Rate was not great, Benefits were not great, Immediate Supervisors were unprofessional The Center closing due to Economic and Financial Reasons
Great place of learning
Post doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 22, 2016
. Learning and teaching
. Corn pathology
. Understanding management
. Learners
. Low salary and long work hours
. Being able to work in open every day
Pros
great work environment
Cons
low salary
Secure Employment
HUMAN RESOURCES BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 8, 2016
As a large state-supported research university, NC State is a good place to work. Technology/ERP systems are aging and new technology skills are slow to develop. A good secure state job and the people are pleasant to work with.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Limited career advancement
It was very productive.
Part-time General Cleaning Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 22, 2016
The benefits was good the students showed great respect the work load was very present they had a lot of good and fun activities for the employers and a lot of job opportunities.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2016
Great place to work with fantastic opportunity. Very typical big university. Lots of great support and advancement opportunities if wanted.
productive but very fun
Senior Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 1, 2017
the office culture was the best. it was a very relaxed feel and everyone enjoyed a good joke. we are serious and work very hard but know when its okay to have fun.
Educational
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 17, 2016
The work environment allowed me to learn new skills and meet new people. Job security is an issue due to limited funds but that comes with the territory of academia.
Awful and unprogressive.
Associate Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 23, 2016
Management is very terrible hindering the progress of the University.
Instead of doing the right problem solving to improve students' grades, they blame others.

Never enjoyed working there.
Good learning experience
Lithography Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 15, 2016
Over all, a great place to work. The Professors were very demanding. The students are hard workers. Many students found it difficult to understand English thus making communication of thoughts extremely difficult.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Professors had communication issues.
Great Place to grow!
Library Assistant,Govt Doc Assistance, Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 24, 2017
Wish I had taken advantage of all the opportunities this position offered. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students. Seeing them accomplish the goals set and graduate was a great experience for me. It never gets old.
Pros
helping others achieve success.
Cons
productive and fun work place with the opportunity of development
Graduate Hall Director (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 11, 2017
The housing and residence life where i worked is a very good work place that allows diversity. Able to provide good customer service to the students while being professionally focused.
Pros
Free accommodation for GHDs
Cons
time
Laid-back, hard work, and productivity
Poultry Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 16, 2016
My manager gave us task to do in the beginning and then it became an everyday thing. My co-workers were all friendly and ready to work. The hardest part of the job was being able to get all the work done in a time-framed manor. I mostly enjoy gaining knowledge every day on our animals.
Pros
Being able to work with animals
Cons
short work weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Carolina State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2