North Carolina State University

North Carolina State University Employee Reviews

Learning experience in regard to how to lead a class and instruct course material
Course Administrator, Lab instructor and grader (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2015
A typical day of work has my co-instructor (another student) and I performing a lecture to groups of around 30 students. this lecture includes basics of learning the syntax of the computer language, Fortran. once the lecture has been finished, the co-instructor and I walk around the classroom and help students that are struggling with the new code.
From this job, I have learned how to lead large groups of people in the classroom environment, as well as manage peers in a way that keeps regular work flow tensionless.
The hardest part of this job is coming up with new assignments for the students to work on. It is important to remember that the students have not had as much experience as I have, so what I may think is an easy assignment may not be so simple for them.
Experience
Office of New Student Programs (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 31, 2015
I loved working for my university. Everyday I was challenged to exceed my success the day, wee, month and year prior. This job was truly about growth. It was challenging and demanding, but it was all worth it!
Engaging and fun with flexible hours
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 29, 2015
Pros: grows my subject knowledge, valuable teaching experience
Cons: only part time
My typical day at work consists of me sitting in lecture with a teacher I am TAing for and then holding review sessions for students later in the day. I generally work by myself with little supervision and design my own lesson plans for review sessions based on content covered in class. My favorite part of my job is when students start to grasp difficult concepts and you see the light bulbs go off in their heads. It a magical sight. The hardest part is consistently keeping each student engaged and interested in the material being covered.
Awesome
International Business Club- cultural ambassador (Current Employee), North CarolinaMay 28, 2015
This school is awesome, offering all the students in my major to be able to get into this internship for experience is great!
Helping People Improve the Quality of their Lives
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Durham, NCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Learning experience.
Cons: Funding and financial support.
Extension helps people from birth to old age. We have programs that teach little children about gardening, voting, etiquette, etc. We have programs for gang prevention. Our 4-H program teaches teens leadership skills, sewing, computer repair, etc. For mothers we offer breast-feeding classes, parenting, carseat safety. We manage a giving closet that provides clothing, diapers, milk, carseats, cribs, – more... and other necessities for people in need. We have a Master Gardener program for those who prefer to play in dirt. We have a transportation service that provides transportation for elder, handicapped, and those in need of transportation to/from their jobs. We offer budgeting training and information on living wills and other senior citizen programs.

Extension is a great place to work. My co-workers are like family and it is nice to be with people that want to help others. The hardest part of the job is not receiving funding to support our programs. Being that some of the programs are totally grant funded, some have lost funding and we could not continue the programs.

The best part is working with great people doing great services for our community. – less
Productive research lab with a small group of workers seeking common goal
Non-Woven Institute, Machine Operator (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 27, 2015
Very well know lab for its research in Textile/Non-wovens industry that operates as a close nit work place with little room for error but a good group of employees who understand how to work well together and stand behind the quality of the products created within the lab.
Young energetic environment
TECHNICAL TYPIST (Former Employee), Marine Earth and Atmospheric SciencesMay 21, 2015
Pros: Fun and energetic with great benefits
Cons: Low pay
I really enjoyed working at NCSU over 35 + years ago as it was fun working in a college environment. However, I left this job to pursue a higher paying position.
Great company
Senior Design Project (Former Employee), Winston Salem, NCMay 19, 2015
Daily challenges required collaboration and teamwork. Devoted engineering workforce to supplying product to customers.
great school
LASC 363 Internship (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 18, 2015
Standard Assistantship
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 16, 2015
Taught classes, graded papers, held office and tutoring hours. Paid bi-weekly, except in the summers which must be applied to independently.
Great University
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 14, 2015
Great place to learn and experience engineering methods and techniques in real life. the professor are very helpful and the students are very active.
Fun workplace and good employees
Work study and research (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 13, 2015
This was an ideal work environment for students working towards a degree. The staff gave extra support. It was a home away from home environment.
Great place
Teacher Assistant/Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 4, 2015
Never a dull moment working there. Everyday was a challenge teaching the young minds of mainly college freshmen. Worked for a great professor that cared about her employees and students.
Supportive staff, creative faculty
Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 30, 2015
Pros: Supportive Management, Flexible Schedule
Cons: Short-term work (internship)
The NC State Study Abroad Office has an amazing reach across NC State Campus. Through Curriculum Integration, any student any major can Study Abroad. Promoting the Study Abroad Office and programs was work but also play given the high quality of the program content and the enthusiasm of NC State Academic Department in integrating International Experiences into their curriculum.
Excellent Learning Opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Tuition Waiver
Cons: None really
Working as a GRA has been extremely rewarding, with a lot of opportunity to learn. Although it takes a lot of effort and time, its absolutely worth working here, especially in the field of CFD.
productive work place with an amazing staff
Dining and Catering (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free employee meals
Cons: short hours
Working at NCSU was a learning experience. I got to learn a wide range of jobs within the work place. the management was amazing they really made me feel comfortable. On a typical day of work I would come in and prep the work area. when it is time to work I normally operate the cash register but I was taught to do any task needed. the staff was great we all got along and work well together to insure fast and quality service. I believe the hardest part about my job, being that wide range of international students attendant the school, would be the language barrier. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and creating a whole new family within the work place.
Interactive environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: you can make your own hours
Cons: lack of flexibility in methods taught
Being a tutor for the tutorial center exposed me to a lot of different people and situations that helped me improve myself as a tutor and as a student
NCSU is one of the best place to learn Operation research.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), RaleighMarch 11, 2015
I have worked being lecturer in two Universities and graduate teaching assistant in two other universities. I learned operation research at NCSU. I studied applied math in ETSU and pure maths at AAU. I am more than fit for any quantitative related job.
Both employment places were and are good to work for
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 27, 2015
Both employment places were and are good to work for. I have learned a lot about academics coming from a corporate working situation. A typical day here is scheduling events. I work with really good people. The hardest part of my job is getting people to follow the rules. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with the students.
Learning Curve
Community Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 22, 2015
The atmosphere in NCSU Housing is one where we can learn on the job without fear of being chastised for mistakes. I loved my job here!

1 2 3 4 5