North Eastern Services Employee Reviews in United States

Great company with opportunities to advance.
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 4, 2016
A great job and very rewarding. There is a lot of room for advancement if you are willing to work for it. Most of management has started from the entry level position and worked their way up. The challenging part of the job is working with the disabled consumers we support. They may at any moment have intense behaviors. However, it can also be rewarding when you are successful in minimizing behaviors through the training provided. I would recommend NES to anyone looking to make a difference and advance through a company.
Pros
Many opportunities to advance. Rewarding job.
Cons
Stressful situations.
Extremely Unprofessional Company-Worst Job Ever
Managment (Former Employee) –  UTNovember 20, 2014
I worked for North Eastern Services for about two years. I have worked in this industry for about 10 years. I have stayed working in this business because of my love for the individuals with disabilities. I have worked for various companies in the past, some where definitely better than others. NES was by far the WORST. When I started with NES I though it was going to be great. However, during my time at NES I became very disillusioned with the company. I found that the administration to be completely out for themselves. Direct Care staff make $7.25 an hour, NEVER getting raises, upper mangement going on company cruises, the owners make millions. The company is run by a bully and his bully friends. They are all only out to make money of the individuals. The owner is a drug addict and all the managment know this, but don't care because they all just want to keep there jobs. He lets expliotes the clients and puts them in SERIOUS HARM. I have heard him personally call the clients "MONKEY'S". PLEASE DON'T WORK THERE AND SUPPORT THIS KIND OF SERIOUS BEHAVIOR.
Holidays and week-ends are require, and either you work swing or grave shifts.
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 29, 2013
This company is always short staff, it's very hard to get a raise, and people that do work here, have no compassion for the people that they are caring for. And the communication between the staff and upper management is a joke! And if someone doesn't come to replace you at the end of your shift, you are stuck till they find someone to come replace you!
Pros
no experience is needed
Cons
hard to take time off, they only offer swing or grave shifts, and on your days off, they still try to get you to work because they are always short staff.
Learing Experience
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  orem utah 84058March 5, 2015
NES was amazing place to learn, to grow and then to teach. I had a minimum of 5 to 15 employees under my direct management. This job was constantly reminding me that patience is necessary, and my tone is paramount. As a Team leader I set the bar so must always be above it. I was responsible for the end of shift paperwork then monthly summaries. I was given an abundance of yearly trainings then gave that same ongoing training to my staffing.
The most difficult part of my job: The often difficult attitude from the younger hires being "whats in it for me?" And "it's not my fault"
It became my number 1 goal to teach by example to turn out a productive and happy worker.
dont work here unless you love kids
Life Skills Instructor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 7, 2013
i worked at North Eastern Services almost two years the only thing i liked about this job was being able to make an impact on the childrens life, and getting to know different children and adults with all kinds of different disabilities. This was one of the most rewarding jobs i have ever had as far as working with amazing people and amazing co-workers. A particular day at work involved picking up clients, transporting them to the center, ensuring there safety, prepping their meals for them and feeding them, taking them on activities hanging out with them, redirecting them when behaviors arise, communication with them and socializing, changing there dispense and making sure there personal hygeine is top notch, teaching them new things, watching them learn and grow, and taking them home. I taught myself how to love someone unconditionally, i learned a tremendous amount of patience and the skills to benefit a childs life how to communicate with people who have a hard time speaking and how to redirect clients. hardest part of job is talking to managment you have no support in the managment field whatsoever, also there is no training so you learn on your own. The co-workers are amazing they are all there for the kids and love them dearly they are all supportive and will help you with anything. When it comes to management this is by far the most underappreciated company of their employees i have ever worked for. Also they allow tons of abuse and neglect to go on, they are simply there for the paycheck and they play tons of favoritism. it is almost impossible to keep a job here. The  more... Director of the company does not pay attention to what goes on in the Center Nor does he appreciate his workers. You have to put up a fight for money. you never get your raises or checks on time and there almost always wrong. the turn over rate is ridiculous they hire and fire people so much that the kids have to suffer. unless you feel bad for these children DO NOT WORK HERE. also the new director of the After School Program will do anything and everything she can to fire you. she does not coach you she just writes you up and fires you. the most enjoyable part of the job is that you have co-workers who are like family they are all there for the kids and it feels like a team, also of course getting to know the clients they are all very amazing and entertaining.  less
Pros
co-workers, clients
Cons
managment
They work around your schedule and are really understanding.
LSI (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 4, 2012
You help disabled adults with their jobs and cook them dinner. You just hang out with them and do whatever it is they would like to do. I learned how to be patient and that they are some of the best people in the world! The management isn't so well in the house I worked at but we make do. The co-workers are really fun and outgoing!! They love to work with others.The hardest part of the job would be the graveyard shift and trying to stay awake when you're all by yourself. The most enjoyable part is everything about it. You get to meet so many great people and work with them everyday. You really get to know their personality and know just what they like. You know what to do in situations, what works and what doesn't.
Many hours
Life Skills Instructor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 26, 2015
Many hours just need to ask. Management can be sort of unprofessional at times and takes their time in addressing concerns if at all.
Productive and fun
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 20, 2013
a typical day was slow but fun and tons do to
I learned a lot such as paper work learning each clients behaviors how to change and individual feed those that cant feed on there own.
management were organized and professional
co workers most were great and some didn't do much but overall great staff
hardest part of the job is when an individual passes away or has to move
most thing I enjoyed was the fact that I got to see how these guys enjoyed there lives even through touch times and no matter what there were happy
Pros
making a difference, teaching and learning
Cons
restraining an individual for a behavior
Rewarding in it's own way.
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTSeptember 20, 2014
Management is super understanding of your life outside work regardless if it's another job, family issues or school they are super supportive.
A typical day at work is taking care of the residents and insuring they are living a fulfilling life (in example): getting up and going to work or a day service program, coming home and having dinner and going to bed.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with behaviors but it's not that bad.
Only thing that is frustrating is pay.
Pros
everything
Cons
pay
A fulfilling line of work
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 29, 2014
As a life skills instructor I was responsible for the care and well being of individuals with special needs. Each day I left with a sense that I had made a difference in the lives of the people I was responsible for. I learned a lot about medications and devices that help with mobility. I also learned a lot about cleaning, problem solving, and negotiating. My co-workers were very easy to get along with for the most part. Supervisors were willing to work with employees to help them be successful. It was fun to take clients out so they could enjoy their community. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative behaviors of varying levels of severity.
Pros
fun, good work enviroment, great chance to build unique skills
Cons
clients negative behaviors were some times dangerous or frightening
Productive work fun place with basket ball fishing and others
Staff / life skill instructor (Current Employee) –  orem utJuly 25, 2013
A typical day at work is where staff make sure that the clients are doing there work makes sure that the clients are getting a long with each other. I teach them how to socialize and learn new life skills and how to be a team in every thing they do like playing basketball and working on work project. The bad parts of the day is when the clients think that they are no getting treated fairly or can not trust the people that they work with this goes with the staff that are there if we cane not treat the clients how we wonted to be treated and cant hold are promise. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing clients that wont to make a change in life and i help them i get to say to my self i did something to help change his or here life
Sweatshop
Lead a group of men in structured work program (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 11, 2013
poor management, lack of interests for employees, no advancement opportunities
Pros
get paid on time
Cons
make minimum wage
Fun environment
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 19, 2013
A typical day at North Eastern Services, isn't always the same, it's always different, in the 6 months that i have been with this company i have learned that having a great rapport with the adults that you are taking care of is an amazing thing to build for the future. I love everyone I work with, but unfortunately the company itself is not very interested in its employees. The hardest part about my job at North Eastern Services is not getting into power struggles with the consumers, but the best part of my job is that i get to spend almost everyday teaching these adults about life and that's what makes me life and day a whole lot better.
A Great place to work for.
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 1, 2013
A typical day at work is talking to the clients and making sure they are safe in their environment. The receive meals and you can take them out into the community if needed. Management was always available by text or cell if you needed them.
Pros
you gain respect from the clients, and can enjoy your time while on shift.
Cons
co-workers were not on time, management talks, training times were sometimes inconvenient
A company that does for others
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 7, 2013
A typical day at work can be just as challenging as rewarding. The challenges are the attempt to make our clients as happy and comfortable as possible. While the reward comes from over coming those challenges. A client may be in a wheelchair or have a learning disability and either can be a set back for the client to reach their goals. Finding the first obvious solution then reaching higher to obtain the clients perfect solution is a matter of patience and listening.
Pros
great clients and co-workers
Cons
limited funds and need of more staff
Productive and fun work place.
Receptionist/HR (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 31, 2013
I would answer up to 5 phone lines, Greet incoming and outgoing vistors. Scan and email documents to accounting or support corridnators. And scan into the system medical cards, MARS.
I learned what an asset I was to a company.
my co-workers were very helpful and always willing to help me to make sure my work was done correctly.
Most Enjoyable part of my job was being the first person would see when walking into our office.
Pros
friendly place to be, loved my job, being first face vistors saw when come into office.
Cons
sometimes didnt get to take a lunch.
What i did
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTAugust 4, 2013
A typical day at North Eastern Services I helped out the handicap adults with the daily needs like cleaning their house, doing the dishes, getting ready for the day, and just basic stuff like that. The management I didn't really like and I also thought that some of the co-workers were rude and inconsiderate.
It was a very rewarding job
Llife skills instructor (Current Employee) –  Layton UtahJanuary 14, 2014
I learned a lot about working with disabled adults. I took them shopping and helped them become productive in the community. My house manager was really good and made my job easier. The hardest part was taking them in public by myself.
Pros
i liked the consumers i worked with and it worked with my schedule
Cons
the pay was not enough to live on my own
supporting people with disabilitys achieve independence
Life Skill Instructor (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 24, 2014
light house keeping assisted with medications
The best and hardest part was working with the individuals. everyone has their moments and not everyone knows how to control how they feel.
Pros
working with people and making new freinds in the clients
Cons
the behaviors
Great Place
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 8, 2014
Good Place to work while in college. Very low pay for the type of work required. Great relationships with the clients.

2.5