North Highland Employee Reviews

job security
Sr. Project Manager for Novant Health (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 3, 2017
I feel secure working for North Highland. I feel confident if my contract were to terminate they would place me in a new position quickly with a reputable company.
Great internship experience
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2016
The only negative I have to say is that there wasn't an opening after my internship ended. Also, there was a misunderstanding about the duration of the internship.
Do not work here
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 26, 2016
I got hired then tore my ACL before my start date. Company did not want to work with me on any of my needed time off.

If you respect yourself do not work for these people because they won't respect you or your health.
N/a
Billing Specialist (contract) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77072August 15, 2016
Billing of services, man hours, products, and many other service industry items. The culture of the company is very laid back customer oriented and employee friendly.
Pros
Training is always available to help advance your career
Cons
You must have transportation.
Excellent group
Product Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2016
Very supportive and responsive to my needs while working with the client to meet the project objectives. I learned and coordinated requirement information with the Rally project tool and participated in product development ideas.
Bad experience
Sr. Consulting Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 13, 2016
Low regard for employees unless you're part of the "good ol' boys" club. Do what's best for firm not staff or clients. Not a place I'd work again, due to the dubious leadership and culture.
Pros
make sure you get promises in writing, they SOUND great but don't always deliver
Cons
Worse now that North Highlands is in control
Management consulting
Management & IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  USApril 6, 2016
23 years with Bell Atlantic - technician, call center rep, call center supervisor and manager, IT systems, Systems Engineer, Systems Engineer manager
Worst Experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 22, 2015
Worked in the Dallas area on a project for a few months. This company will promise a client everything it wants, the VP and Project Manager have no technical background but make technical decisions. Was just taken back on the "make it happen" attitude and they didn't provide any guidance or resources. They really just went to the meetings to show off to the clients, of course they never had any idea what they were talking about.
Pros
Cons
Lack of good Management, VP and Project Manager
Newly merged with the competition
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 17, 2016
SRA and CSC were rivals on most bids. They are now one company. I am not sure what conditions are like there now. Should be interesting.
Boutique Consulting Firm
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  OrlandoAugust 9, 2015
I spent only a short time at North Highland. The people I worked with were terrific, but consulting is just not for me. I am operationally wired and my way of thinking is in conflict with the business model of a consulting firm, which is to extend your stay, add resources, and find other opportunities to sell more work. Having worked in hospital operations for so long, I am wired to come in on budget, on time, and with minimal resources. For this reason, I went back to the world in which I came - hospital operations and am much happier.
Pros
Smart people
Cons
Stereotypical consulting
North Highland had a nice work environment
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2015
My typical work day consisted of making sure all the day-to-day activities were up and running efficiently. I would make sure all the Executive Assistants were fine and make sure there were no issues they needed my assistance resolving. I then would check to see if there were any Consultants or VP's that need any printing/binding of deliverables to be presented either internally or to clients.
Pros
I was able to interact with everyone within the Corporate Office.
Cons
Commute was too long at times; pay grade continued to decrease
SCCM Administrator/Desktop Support Engineer
Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2014
Develop, manage and maintain North Highland PC images, building, testing, manage inventory, PCs platform specifications through the utilization of System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 (SCCM 2012). Software and patch management utilizing SCCM2012 R2. Operation System Deployment (OSD) and Application creation within SCCM2012 R2. Work directly with the customers in order to ensure a quality solution is delivered and all issues are identified, escalated and resolved in a proactive manner. Review and optimize workflow, procedures, processes, and systems (call center, ticketing, reporting, and remote access) and tools. Administer and manage Exchange mailboxes and distribution lists. Assist with the migration and troubleshooting of Microsoft Office 365.
Team-oriented, relationship-based consulting company with emphasis on work/life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 3, 2013
North Highland takes a different approach to consulting. They work with large, global organizations across a variety of service areas, but tend to "be sticky" within a client account and strive in using local consultants whenever possible. This limits the burden of travel, and allows for the challenges and experiences of consulting without the tax of being away for home on an ongoing basis. The company is 100% employee-owned, emphasizing a strong family and team-oriented approach to management. You will experience a wide variety of projects, as being no-travel/low-travel means you work on what's available with the companies in your metro area, and don't fly to the next project in a very-focused vertical.
Pros
work-life balance, team-oriented, clients typically place high-value on personalities and work output. low or no travel.
Cons
compensation is below market
Great place to work if you are a consultant.
Resource Coordinator / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 8, 2012
Global consulting company with a local model. Prides itself on promoting a work life balance to its employees with all projects being in the vicinity of the local office.
Nice place to relax in consulting
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2013
Typical day is 9 hours, staff augmentation like, very project management focused. Feels like a staffing company more than a consultancy.
The firm is very friendly and family like. A strong 'people' culture that values relationships and tenure more than competence/expertise.
The company has grown significantly since its founding in early 90s by three founders. Now it's around 1,000 US consultants. However, the leadership that brought it here won't get the company where it wants to go.
Hardest part of the job is all the administrivia that takes place since it doesn't have a very strong shared services function and lacks the robust knowledge management and cumulative expertise that big firms have developed over time.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. Very nice. But it feels like folks who couldn't hack it at a big company, not experienced folks that no longer wanted to work at big firms (or didn't want to anymore because they couldn't hack it).
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Salary, admin, quality of colleagues, learning opportunities
Alright place to work
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 17, 2014
I learned about Change Management
Co-workers were nice.
The hardest part of my job building sales connections to increase pay.
Great place to be noticed by your peers.
Excellent place to work
Capture and Proposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2012
Excellent company to work for. They have an incredible training program
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
moderate pay
Great people
Talen Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2013
Fun / Enjoable / Challenging opportunity that is ever changing and challenging.
Avoid the Dallas office like the plague
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 22, 2014
Dallas office is struggling with leadership, strategy, and growth. The office has gone from 30 people to 12 people in less than 1 year. The two Dallas VPs are incompetent and have no vision.

Slow growth for smaller offices in the West, Mid-West, and Southwest. The center of gravity is truly Atlanta and Charlotte where the culture and leadership is strong. Smaller offices struggle to capture the culture and values of the mother-ship.

Very sales heavy in the smaller offices in order to try to gain critical mass. Less emphasis on strategy, people development, or delivery quality. Extremely reactionary in terms of chasing clients that happen to come our way instead of developing a methodical account penetration strategy.

Lots of turnover of top talent and negative growth trajectory due to lack of strategy and vision of local market leaders.

Advice to Management
Provide better support framework for local market leaders to develop a strategy and a vision for their local market. "Sell baby sell" is not a strategy.

There is nothing in place to win the hearts and minds to retain top talent. You can stop losing talented Principals if you define a vision and have Regional Presidents spend more time with market leaders and offices at large to define the overall strategy and vision of the local market and have an open and honest discussion about some of the challenges ahead. Once everyone buys into the vision, we will have more collective success.

The variable compensation model has been hurting retention and recruiting and the company is finally blowing up the current
  more... model to move away from the current highly variable model to a more traditional fixed model. However, they are not giving everyone much deserved raises to base pay (and do not pay for cost of living increases).  less
Pros
Employee Stock Plan
Cons
Leadership inept; shabby office; high turnover