NORTH JERSEY DEVELOPMENTAL CENTER Employee Reviews in United States

A great working experience
HABILITATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 22, 2015
I had very special experience working in this organization. The greatest take away for me is the leadership and management style exhibited by the CEO
Pros
effective management and employee movitation
Cons
low wage and performance appreciation
Execellent Job
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJune 2, 2015
North Jersey Developmental Center was an Excellent Job, we helped people with disabilities for the State of New Jersey. The institutions was a great place to be, half of us worked as team and the consumers came first at all time. The governor of New Jersey closed the institution down but we treated the institution like it was a home for the consumers and that why a lot of people did not understand.
Pros
Helping People with Disabilities
Cons
The Governor of New Jersey Closed the Job Down
No Place Like Home
Direct Care Worker/Human Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJApril 11, 2015
Every day I entered this job knowing I was going to make a difference . I learned that anybody can make a difference in someones life if you chose to help and care. I was trained by my managers to run the facility and all aspects of it. The people I worked with were great individuals that had the same aspirations and goals as I . The hardest part of the job was letting go of the bounds I built with my consumers and staff . This job made you feel like it was not a job but your second family.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Productive and good place to work
Secretary - Principal Clerk Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJFebruary 15, 2015
This company is excellent opportunity to provide services to the disable. Great place to work until they closed the facility.
Pros
diversity work environment
Cons
closed
productive
Senior Clerk Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 4, 2014
an ok place to work. benefits were good but job was ok.. flexible
I was a essentil employee.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 1, 2014
coming in getting my clients and take to morning feeding after that recreational activity.
Pros
helping people and the pay wasn't bad
Cons
the driving
Productive and enjoyable
Senior Food Service Handler/Cook Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 30, 2014
Performed a variety of tasks in connection with the preparation, storage and serving of
food, including dietary foods; ensure that assigned dining and kitchen areas and equipment
are kept clean and in good repair; and perform related duties as required. Require
responsibility for: Following oral and written instructions pertaining to the preparation,
storage and serving of food; operating assigned station in a manner that will meet meal
schedules; assisting in the preparation, distribution and serving of modified diets;
housekeeping duties as needed, maintaining a high standard of cleanliness, both personal
and in an assigned station. CPR Certified. Worked with Special Needs Clients and Elderly
Clients.
Safe Environment to Work. Individuals with challenged Mentality felt like they are also needy in Society due to the service i provided.
Human Resources Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 18, 2014
Supervised all activities in absence of parents/guardianship.
Monitored and handled paperwork for the Human Resources Manager. Established proper social skills which included: designing, creative games and activities. Maintained the safety and the security of the environment by initiating safety precautions. Responsible and credible role model. Used to be very fun and flexible place to work. But the Governor of my State closed the facility down due to budget over political point of view.
Pros
i tried hard to make the mentally challenged individuals laugh and feel happy, cared for their needs.
Cons
facility closed down due to government budget of nj.
Learned so much in the short time I worked there.
Behavioral Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJSeptember 26, 2014
This was more than just a job. This was one big family. Some of the people that worked there, worked there for over 40 years. I learned so much in the year that I was there. Everyone was so patient and willing to help. Even on my first day, I was treated like family, like I had always been there.
A typical day included interacting with the consumers. We would take walks on nice day or go out for lunch. When it was raining or too cold, we would play games or watch movies. During meals, we would encourage and remind the consumers to use their utensils while eating and clean up after themselves. Routine was very important.
I enjoyed working with this population more than I ever thought I would. The hardest part was saying goodbye when the facility closed.
Pros
consumers, co-workers
I like work at njdc
Cottage Training Technician (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJJune 7, 2014
njdc has some very nice clients I enjoyed taking care of them ,some days it was hard to go home
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 19, 2013
It's mostly routine in my unit I learned emergency measures ,be more alert and running.I am in a well balanced environment able to work with staff in the unit.Hardest part is when there,s shortage of staff or when there,s emergency that breaks the routine and be more flexible and plan and prioritize my work.Most enjoyable part is when we have activities or training sessions and we have a good laugh In my unit there,s couple of patients who is verbal and can express themselves and can really make me laugh loud they are funny
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
half hour break
The job as a whole was ok because it made provison of quality life for those we served. I love the job because iam part of the the team.
cottage training technician (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 12, 2013
A typical day at work is starting the day with normal duty.prepare our individuals for the day,assist them with daily living skills and,recreation I learned to endure the challenges of the job.Management was firm careful.My co-workers were team player,to provide the best of care for our individuals.Cooperation from family members.the most enjoyable part of my job is when i help the individuals that i work with to be comfortable and ensure safety.
Pros
we do not have free lunches.
Cons
breaks are necessary when one feel burn out.
productive
Human Service Assistant (Temp assignment) (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJSeptember 22, 2013
I get to meet new people, and work with different clients with different unique personality.
Pros
co workers spirit are uplifted
Cons
air conditioned are often on even when its freezing outside
Productive work place with room for advancement
Transportation Agent (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJAugust 8, 2013
I was an transportation agent, I enjoyed my work very much. It gave me a chance to meet most of the employees and transport them as well s clients to work, Dr. appointments, home visits ect. The management team was awesome always willing to help. That made it very easy to want to come to work everyday.
Pros
great food and good people.
Cons
driving in bad wheather
It's fine but it's closing
Consultant Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJJanuary 24, 2013
I really enjoy working at NJDC but unfortunately the facility is set to be closed.
Productive CNA work
Human Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJOctober 9, 2012
Getting my assignment on the patients that I will have for the day/night. I learned how to deal with each patient different because no one patient is the same and no one patient has the same needs as others.
Good place to work but...
Habilitation Plan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJJuly 30, 2012
I enjoy working at NJDC, but unfortunately we are closing in the next few years. So I am currently looking for a new job before I get laid off.
Pros
challenging
Cons
closing soon
Cottage Supervisor
Cottage Training Supervisor (CTS) (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJMay 22, 2012
trained staff in policy and procedures,checked and reported about equipment,arranged and organized appointments for clients,checked staff incident reports,trained staff in client accountability,assist behavioral staff in working properly with direct care staff to effectively administer behavior modification techniques for the clients,trained staff in client safety and CPR/First Aid.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
short lunches

4.3