North Kansas City Hospital Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere
Room Service Associate (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2016
A typical day at work is very satisfying knowing that you are helping the patients get well and making a difference. I have learn a bunch from NKCH I have grown up there and I have learned many skills and values from the hospital. The management is very professional. My co-workers are a joy to work with and I have made many friends there. The hardest part of my job is communication. Just in our department alone there is about 6-7 different areas that we have to keep everyone informed and sometimes that can be a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are making a difference and helping people. This hospital has a great atmosphere and the workers there are always smiling and professional.
Pros
atmosphere, co-workers, making difference
Cons
strict management, no free food, communication
Productive, great staff
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  KSDecember 16, 2015
Great place to work for opportunity and advancement. Night shift staff on my floor was very helpful and I enjoyed working there. Hospital offers many education opportunities as well as ways to give back to the community.
Just a paycheck
Worker (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MONovember 20, 2015
It is a clique enviroment. Favoritism runs rampent. The policies are written vague to benefit management. Everything is for good PR. The turn over rate is becoming a problem. Lack of training or what the consider training is a joke. Alot of hostile people, becoming a culture of fear. Celebrate laziness and lying. Subcontracting out work to almost every department. It will become that the doctors and nurses will be subcontracted.
Pros
Paycheck.
Cons
Where to begin. Perks being taken away, no discipline to people that deserve it but discipline to those who work, celebrate laziness and lying
Good Company
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  KSOctober 30, 2015
Coworkers hard hardworking and exceed in teamwork and patient care. Administration are compassionate and do there best to provide safe environments for patients and staff.
my day at the job
OR Central Service Technician (Current Employee) –  nkc mo 64161October 27, 2015
I pull cases for the next day surgery's and for the same day if we get an Stat add on. I put out stock and put away credits. take phone calls from the OR rooms and take what then need to them.
Co-Workers
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  MOOctober 14, 2015
Great group of people in the department who care about the work they do and the organization. Management could be more supportive.
It used to be a great place to work
Missouri State Certified Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  MOOctober 7, 2015
I worked healthcare agency, and was very impressed with North Kansas City Hospital. I applied to work there full time and was extremely satisfied with my job.

Then they got new management. The incomming managers had the audacity to think that they were smarter than 2000 employees, most of whom had either and Associates, Bachelors, Masters or PHd degree. The staff were blamed for their unhappiness, and we were told that this was the best employeer in the city.

As soon as I had my vesting (7 years) I left. I had patients that would stop me in the hall and tell me that they had been a patient in this hospital 3 years previously and "What happened to the staff? It seems that everyone hates it here now."

In the end, most of us were just there for a paycheck because no matter how hard you worked, or what good you did, you could not get ahead.
Pros
A consistent paycheck
Cons
Management that was isolated from reality of day to day attitudes.
Learning New Things Every Day
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  North Kansas CityJuly 16, 2015
A typical day was always very busy. I cleaned the outpatient area so patients had their surgery done and went home at the end of the day some had to stay overnight. I had a big turn around of rooms so I had to move fast. Enjoyable part meeting the patients and making sure they had everything they needed in their room.
Pros
learning the ways of a hospital
environmental services (Former Employee), MO - May, 2015
environmental services (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City HospitalJune 2, 2015
My typical day at the job was setting up to clean dismisses all though out the hospital, basically where they need me. I did not know that I sign up for this until I started to work on my own on the second shift of week 2 out of training. I worked on the Mother/Baby unit of the hospital at times. There I took down newborn baby beds, clean them and put back together again. I complained of the chemical that they use to clean the newborn beds with, that the chemical, no matter how many gloves I use ate right through the gloves burning my hands, and when I complained, the Managers and Supervisors did not care. Till this day I have a scar from it, put the chemical made my hands stiff to the point I cannot bend my hands. I complained again, everyone act like they did not care at all. I simply got tired of the whole thing because it seems that they where short staff, because I only got one break, and that was lunch. I also feel that everyone should get two-15 minutes and 1-30 minutes lunch break, that means that in this department it should not be short staff at all.

I decided to depart with this company, one, because I feel it was not safe for me to work around chemicals, I needed protective gloves to use with it and second no breaks at all, An Three, Human Resources did not tell me that I will be doing dismisses through-out the building, so basically you really need to be fit to do this job, because you will doing a lot of walking pulling a cart, cleaning rooms
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Hardly No Breaks At All
Stable place to work
Administration (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOMay 10, 2015
People are without previous heath care experience are given opportunities to learn. The employees seem to really care about each other.
Pros
Stable place to work
Cons
Outdate polices
Good place bad management
Room Service Associate (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOApril 6, 2015
I worked at North Kansas City Hospital for almost 3 years in food service. The hospital itself is a wonderful place to work. At one point there was a time I enjoyed going to work I would always get recognized by my managers of my good work. While I was pregnant my managers lost respect for me. I would always get declined for full time. I even told one of my managers I was going to college and they didn't support the idea. I would work there again but definitely not the food service department. It really is a great hospital and you'll meet great people.
Pros
good food, nice people
Cons
the management
i liked the people i worked with
Registered Nurse, Staff (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOFebruary 24, 2015
the typical day at worked was non stop and physically demanding.
frequently would float staff off floor to help staff other parts of the hospital . patient care techs would often need help because they have more patients than they can handle. I liked working with coworkers.
Pros
free bbq and free holiday meal
Cons
short breaks, short staffed
work hard
Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 7, 2015
always on the go
you can't trust people
managers turn backs on you
Pros
pay for lunch
Cons
normal breaks
Great pay for experience and friendly co workers!
Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MONovember 21, 2014
High volume, super fast paced environment. Sometimes short staffed.
Pros
meeting many types of people. made lots of friends.
Cons
at times short staffed and high work volumes
i would recoment
Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOSeptember 3, 2014
the hardest part of the job was not being able to be in several places at once. my co-workers were wonderful. The most enjoyable was working with the patients and family.
Pros
having 30 minites for lunch with out interuption
Cons
not being able to express myself.
great place for a new grad to start out
supervisor, Pat Dixon Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  kansas cityAugust 16, 2014
loved this place but as a minority they did not let me grow you were kept in the lower positions not allowed to branch out and grow.
Pros
you will learn a lot at this facility
Cons
being a minority you wont be allowed to grow and flourish.
Friendly Coworkers
SSP Instrument Tech (Former Employee) –  N Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2014
I enjoyed working at NKC Hospital. Enjoyed the type of work. Much more I could have learned, I felt I was productive and dedicated to them, I wish management could have been a little more understanding. I was driving 100 miles --one way --to get there.
Depends on your manager/department
Secretary (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOJune 11, 2014
Extremely rigid; fun isn't allowed; controlling; negativity; don't really display the missions and values
Good stability
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOApril 3, 2014
Wonderful place to work, co-workers were friendly on most days but treated those "beneath" them with a lack of respect
North Kansas City Hospital Review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MODecember 18, 2013
North Kansas City Hospital I worked there for six years and wasn't particularly fond of the fact that it took me 4 and a half years just to get a 48 hour position down in food service.As far as work environment goes it was so-so.The work atmosphere was like working with close knit family. Management was kind of iffy at times there only a select few that I could trust or identify with.The pay was good because you got quarterly raises based on performance evaluations.Other than that I wouldn't mind coming back to North Kansas City Hospital but I'd prefer to work a different department not in food service.
Pros
better pay
Cons
horrible odd hours schedueled