North Shore Animal League America Employee Reviews

Nsala
Offsite Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYMay 5, 2017
People care about the animals but at times things get overwhelming. They have some of the best benefits for a not for profit organization. I truly loved my time there.
Uses Animals as an Excuse to Overwork Underpaid Employees
Kennel Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYApril 8, 2017
North Shore Animal League uses animals as an excuse to over work kennel associates. Kennel associates are regularly overwhelmed with the amount of animals in the shelter. Also, they are the lease paid out of all positions at the shelter. The only way to move up, is to play managers pet and kiss up to them. Associates who do this get away with not working.
Pros
Paid Break
Cons
Everything Else
Great Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYMarch 29, 2017
North Shore Animal League America was a great work atmosphere that taught me a lot regarding helping shelter animals. The management was efficient and I would highly recommend applying for a job here.
Not all they claim to be
one of many concerned people (Former Employee) –  someone who actually worksFebruary 20, 2017
The only good thing about this shelter is the animals and the handful of caring people that are there. Management such as The President, Directors and some managers could care less what happens to the animals. The only important thing are the number of adoptions and $$$$$$$$$$$. There is a new head of behavior who is horrible and has begun to have animals euthanized. Yes, they do euthanize animals.
Pros
animals
Cons
everyone of upper management who agrees to have animals euthanized
No plan
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 18, 2017
Everyone is used, people who worked for years that deserve recognition are not. This place really runs on volunteers=free. Senior staff in the trenches are the only thing that keep this place alive. Stop hoarding adult cats.
Revolving door & no appriciation
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 12, 2017
Worked here as vet tech .they never appricaiated anything i did . Refused to give me interview for another position i was trying to get . They expect you to do everything for them and nothing in return .. mangament is the worst both at the Shelter and the hospital !!! Vets are inexperianced except the senior vets that have been there for few years. They fired me as soon as i got hurt at work .
Pros
Helping animals, health insurance, free pet expense
Cons
Low pay, rude managment, bad hours
Great Place to Work
Kennel Staff (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 10, 2017
By far, the best place I have worked. The staff does such a great job caring for the animals and it is so rewarding seeing the dogs and cats going home!
A very busy place to work, with high expectations of the employees. The League offers great health benefits and values the employees who work there.
Pros
Great health beneifts, working with like-minded people
Cons
Hard work in general
A Fullfilling Job
Kennel associate (Current Employee) –  Port Washington North, NYJanuary 19, 2017
if you truly love animals then this is a place to consider working. With on site medical staff and pet behaviorists the animals get the immediate attention needed and you gain a better knowledge and understanding of all the animals. It's very hard work physically and sometimes emotionally but it is extremely rewarding. Knowing you made a difference that day. Walking, socializing, feeding, cleaning up after the animals like they are your own - making them as comfortable as possible until they finally go to a good home. By far the best employer I personally have ever had. I'm very proud to tell people that I work here.
Pros
Will notice hard work - benefits for you and your animals - Doing something that makes a difference
Cons
Saves thousands of lives annually
Kennel Manager/Grooming Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJanuary 2, 2017
Great overall mission. Kennel staff was very caring towards the animals. A large disconnect between that and upper management, and poor treatment of staff makes employee turnover rate very high.
Work at your own risk
Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYOctober 27, 2016
Very poor place to work. The culture is rife with favoritism, and cronyism. Senior management is clueless and abusive. Very high school with many cliques in work environment. Very subtle racism as well.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Very poor work environment
Great workplace
Kennel Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYAugust 12, 2016
North Shore Animal League America is a great company to work for. I enjoy coming to work everyday, seeing new animals, meeting new people, and furthering my education in animal care.
Pros
Medical coverage for employees and their animals.
Cons
None.
rewarding
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  port washington nySeptember 19, 2015
working for the largest no kill shelter in the US was very rewarding. you knew you where making a difference in the lives of the animals.
Pros
medical benifits
Cons
management was not qualified
Rip-off place to work
Ex Director (Former Employee) –  NYMay 21, 2014
Management deosn't have a clue how to run that place. They are in it just for the top three. If an audit was conducted oh God what they would find
Pros
Cons
its a job
Helpful staff, flexible work hours
Quality Control Coordinator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYSeptember 23, 2013
Coworkers are excellent. We do physical, in-home follow-up visits with recent local and out-of-state adoptions to make sure pets were placed into a quality home environment. We educate adopters on proper training techniques and health care for adopted pets. We provide excellent customer service/adopter satisfaction. We help train new associates for various roles in the shelter. We work in shelter with dogs/cats and to help adopters find the right pet for their family. We go over adoption paperwork and advise new adopters of NSALA adoption policies.
Wonderful Company
Licensed Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYSeptember 18, 2013
They do great work rescuing animals. Staff is friendly and hardworking.
Great animals, fun people
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJuly 27, 2013
The atmosphere may be sad. The dogs and cats may bark and meow for love and attention. This is a part of me that will never leave, and quite the same, it is also how I feel about myself deep inside.

Hard work, time to play.
Pros
Walking dogs on my break, Transporting puppies from building to building, Helpful and educational co-workers that were leaders
Cons
Constant being on feet and bending over; lots of clean up and sanitizing.
Poor Management
Sales (Former Employee)August 30, 2011
Completely inept Sr Management team with no clear vision or plan to make to attain specific goals. Very reactionary in how the organization is run. Way to conceited in philosophy and do not do enough to strengthen the main goal of saving animals lifes.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor job security