North Shore Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Great if you work at the the Corporate office, not so great at the branch level
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeApril 28, 2015
Like any job your manager can make or break your experience. Anyone can be a manager but not everyone is a successful leader. They like to higher from within which has it's benefits however, it does not always result in the best person for the job. Big on titles, low on pay. If you work at the corporate office in Brookfield it's enjoyable with alot of extra perks. Working at the branch level is much less desirable. You see as alot of the branch personnel transfer to the Corp. office as soon as possible.
Cons
balancing declining branch transactions and staying productive is a struggle
Fun and Family oriented.
Bank Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 23, 2015
I loved working at North Shore. My children's daycare was right across the street. The only reason I left is the birth of my daughter and need more income. A typical day at North Shore, didn't feel like your walking into your job and your counting the hours down to leave. It really felt like family. The customers were nice and friendly and would bring us lunch. Management was awesome and always available to talk. The hardest part of the job was going to corporate for additional training-transportation.
Pros
Knowing customers by name, friendly
Cons
pay
Loan Servicing Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 9, 2015
I pulled all of my files from the vault (not paperless) that needed to be worked for the day, applied payments, closed HELOC-2nd Mortgages-Consumer Loans, prepared lien releases and satisfactions and send to appropriate county/customer, answered customer inquiries about loans and balanced the department at the end of each day. Assisted the collections department in applying payments and payoff requests. Handled all pay off requests and insurance cancellations. I enjoyed multi-tasking, working with my co-workers/managers and the customers.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Wages and advancement
Old School Philosophies
Network and Card Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 2, 2014
This was not a good fit for me. The management did not provide accurate training and was not receptive to updating any procedures to reflect changes in processes.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management did not have degrees
Community Focused with Team Positive Culture
Commercial/Consumer Loan Closing Manager (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 23, 2013
Having come to North Shore Bank following a 20 year career at another banking institution, I am happy to be part of a fantastic organization committed to its employees, customers and communities. From our branch employees to the employees at our corporate building, everyone is focused on working together to assist our customers in providing the best customer service possible. All levels of the organization interact well together from management downward. I found everyone to be friendly and it is nice to be working for an organization where you are not just an employee number but a name and a person. Working in the lending area, our lenders, credit department, underwriters, processing areas, and servicing areas work together to provide a seamless work flow for our clients.
Fair Incentives, poor management
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 18, 2012
Bankers were abruptly forced to practice more aggressive and unreasonable sales strategies and also forced to work during hours that they were scheduled off. Unprofessional work environments at some branch locations and extremely lazy and unorganized managers. Great training program for those who are serious about a career in banking and great activities that promote "friendly" competition. Incentives were pretty reasonable as compared to other financial institutions.
Pros
fair incentive plan and employee recognition programs
Cons
unprofessional/incompetent managers, lack of advancement opportunities, cliques, and poor employee complaint system
Great workplace, love the teamwork and family friendly feel
Lender (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 20, 2013
In a sales position there is alot of stress involved on a daily basis. At North Shore Bank the management and processing team help work together to make our jobs easier so we can be out generating more networking referrals.
The support from the leadership at North Shore Bank is something you don't find at other financial institutions. I have worked for a few banks and North Shore Bank knows how to treat their employees and listens to concerns one might have and address to correct it right away. It's a fun, family friendly place to work.
Pros
family friendly, great support teams, great management, clean work environment
Team Oriented
Service Banker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 1, 2012
My work consists of filling in all the gaps at the retail level. This includes front line service in person and on the phone. I also monitored the full environment to ensure that both policy is observed and clients are satisfied. The dissemination of and implementation of management's agendas are poorly translated. There is little repercussion for poor performance and that puts weight on other team members. It's nice that you can be in the position to help someone but due to diminishing foot traffic, team members are now being required to do phone soliciting.
Pros
paid vacation, holidays, first-name basis
Cons
telemarketing, lack of accountability
A great place to grow a career.
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon BayMay 21, 2013
I've found NSB to be very encouraging whenever an employee wishes to advance. I like the fact that they promote from within if at all possible. Following any promotion always then involves the training needed to do well at the new position. Management has also been very approachable to concerns and new ideas. Overall I've really enjoyed my years working here.
North Shore Bank is a great place to work!
Residential Loan Processing (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 23, 2013
I have been with North Shore for 2 1/2 years now and I knew this was the place for me within the first week. With the programs offered by our Training Dept, this is a great place to grow and learn. Our Management Team is fair and always willing to listen. I work in an environment with deadlines which often makes it difficult to complete everyday tasks, but with our great team atmosphere, that is promoted within North Shore Bank, someone is always willing and there to help if needed. I see myself being with North Shore for the next 30 years!
Pros
family like enovironment, fair, ethical, great training programs
Good workplace
Teller (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 14, 2015
I enjoyed working here and being able to improve my customer service skills. There was always someone to talk to and someone to ask a question if I needed help with something.
Horrible Management Team
Loan Servicing (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 22, 2013
I worked at the corporate office at North Shore Bank and found the management team to be very subpar. The manager I had was very paranoid, he loved to play favorites and make things up to punish his workers. He pitted different departments against each other, so that working as a team and helping each other out seemed to be frowned upon. He lies and uses personal judgement when doing reviews, instead of looking at the positive aspect of what the employee is doing in his or her job. He doesn't promote, he demotes. When I went to HR regarding his harrassing behavior, they told me to talk to his boss, which I did. But his boss protects him.
I think that there needs to be a management shake-up at North Shore Bank. They need to seriously look at why they are losing good workers to other banks. There is a reason why turn-around runs rampant there. I would never recommend any friends or family members to apply for a job at North Shore Bank, and you should stay away as well. Unless you enjoy having a boss like this. Leaving was the best decision I ever made.
Pros
na
Cons
bad management, unfair practices
Very motivated, productive, caring, team player
Branch Operation Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 16, 2012
My days begins with making sure the staff is following polices and procedures from open to close. I've learn that no matter how big or small the problem is you want to make sure your customer walks away with a different attitude about the situation.

My co-workers are very fun to work with. Some are just learning how the fundumental of working in the banking business really is. I enjoy training and letting them know as a supervisor how I'm always there for them know matter what. I want them to know that your only human and everyone makes errors, because some errors can be fixs.

I would say the hardest part of my job is not having enough employees to give good customer service.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my customers as well as my staff happy. It really makes the day go so much better.
Pros
the smile on everyones face
Cons
short staff
Wouldn't be bad if there were good managers
Teller (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMay 27, 2014
I actually enjoyed what I did, but the management made life unbearable. The company as a whole wasn't bad to work for though, and most of the co-workers weren't bad either.
Pros
advancement
Cons
management
Fun for a while
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 19, 2014
Culture is relaxed, can be fun depending on what area you work in.

Difficult to handle personnel issues with HR. Seems they care more about being listed as a Great Place to Work, than in actually doing the things it takes to be one.
Pros
depending on the area you work in, can be fun and relaxed.
Cons
hard to be a manager when hr does little to support you.
Longevity is the key
Deposit Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 20, 2013
After working for North Shore Bank and the bank I formerly worked for, which was aquired by North Shore, for 37 plus years I feel that I can give a fair review. I have held many different positions and feel that each of them allowed me to grow in both my personal and professional life.I have been given the opportunity to attend classes as well as being the instructor for jobs that I was personally involved in. Management cares deeply about their employees in both their personal and business lives. Our teams interact with all the other departments in the bank and while we might not get to see each other in person very often, we certainly develop first-name relationships between the corporate offices and the branches. You could not ask for a cleaner and more fun place to work; seems like there is always something to celebrate; making our goals, helping out a fellow co-worker, personal milestones and being named one of the Top Workplaces in Wisconsin. When you look at the team that I am part of, you'll find many of us have 20 plus years, which should tell you the type of environment that North Shore Bank fosters.
Pros
clean, friendly environment, great team spirit, encouragement and support by management, opportunity for growth, great work locations.
Cons
for me there are none.
Gives you the tools
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 20, 2013
On a typical work day, you meet with customers to help them reach their financial goals and offer them the right tools or advice to get there. Based on the increasing amount of online/electronic services offered, foot traffic continues to decrease in branches so outbound calls to reach customers are a must. The most rewarding part is seeing your customer succeed in reaching their goals because you were able to help them. Also, seeing other staff grow in their roles because of the continued coaching.

In my 6 years at North Shore I have been given many opportunities to grow. I have worked my way up the ladder from a Teller to an Assistant Manager and without a college degree. When I am interested in the next position I have confidence that my supervisors will help me achieve it. This company encourages growth in all its employees. It has great programs in place to help achieve that growth. Management supports staff with regular coaching and investing the time if there is a struggle. I have run across a few situations that could have easily resulted in a negative attitude toward the bank but because of the explanation and clear caring of supervisors, it has made my confidence that this is a great place to work even stronger.

I feel North Shore Bank focuses on how to do better in the future and is very open minded to change.
Pros
personalized positve recognition from the top.
Cons
like every company... trying to do more with less.
Very good place to work
Servicing and Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WINovember 4, 2013
Good co-workers and management throughout the company. Locally based and supportive of the communities in which they operated.
Pros
good management team
worst company EVER to work for!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIMay 21, 2013
I worked for this company and the branch(west allis) I worked at the manager and district manager are racist!! They play favorites don't care about their employees only referrals!!! Don't work for this company unless you want to be treated like trash!!!
Cons
everything
answered questions regarding customer accounts
Consumer loan call center Rep. - Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIOctober 26, 2014
assist with payments and payoffs on consumer loans in a call center environment