Position: Associate Director/Development
Location: Old Westbury, NY 11568
Period: 4 days \ per week (possibly 5 days)
Salary: Negotiable based on experience and time commitment
Start Date: As soon as possible
The North Shore Land Alliance (NSLA) was formed in 2003 by a group of Long Island residents concerned about how quickly the North Shore was changing. Our natural areas are disappearing at an alarming rate and along with them community character and valuable natural resources. Locally, we have less than 10% of undeveloped land remaining. Water quality is dependent upon the undeveloped land that remains.
The Land Alliance has had remarkable success in protecting 800 acres of local land, stewarding more than 100 acres, and will soon own an additional 100 acres. Government funding has played a major role in our land conservation efforts to date. Today, it has become clear that government funding is no longer available in significant quantities and based on financial projections, it is unlikely to be again in the foreseeable future.
NSLA acknowledges that a healthy community must continue to grow its economy. We must, though, carefully plan for that growth. We firmly believe that open space protection will enhance both quality of life and the local economy.
NSLA derives its revenues primarily from private contributions and grants.
Summary of Position: The Associate Director/Development will be responsible for the following:
- Donor development and cultivation.
- Supervision of fundraising/friendraising events
- Establishment of a Young member’s/Next Generation program
- Grant preparation and cultivation for foundations and corporations.
- Development of a deferred giving program.
- Develop and manage execution of NSLA’s annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Oversee organization of special events
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 3-plus years experience in development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Knowledge of the North Shore philanthropic community
- Knowledge of development software
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written, and an ability to work with a diverse group.
- Ability to organize time and work with minimum daily supervision.
- Trustworthy, reliable and honest in handling confidential information.
- Flexible as the responsibilities of each day may be very different.
For More Information please call Lisa Ott at 516-626-0908.