NORTH STAR Employee Reviews in United States

A very fun enviornmental place to work
Mover (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CANovember 15, 2015
Would move people out of their old home's and move them into their new homes. We would protect their furniture and appliances with shrink wrap and blankets so they wouldn't get damaged. Working with fun co-workers. The hard part of this job was the lifting depending on what was what we were lifting. Sometimes would lift office conference tables which was very heavy required at least of 5 guys to carry. What would make this job enjoyable was that we would work in different locations everyday.
Pros
Get a chance to meet celebrities
Cons
Long hours work 6 days a week
Great for part time or a side position, horrible as a sole job.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INSeptember 30, 2015
This position was wonderful when I started as part time and took cases where I could see clients a few evenings per week. If you want to carry a full time caseload you may expect to work long days and long weeks. I loved meeting with clients, but the paperwork was not compensated for and very time consuming. You only get paid for the time you spend with clients. There were no benefits, no vacation, no sick days.
Pros
High hourly rate, variety of tasks
Cons
No benefits, no pay for a lot of the work
13 hr
North Star (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 9, 2016
The work is hard, but there allot of team work. The bosses are regular . We travel a lot of state. We work like 10 hr a day. But is very hard .
Productive work area
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Stanwood, WAOctober 3, 2015
straight to the work load, there was absolutely no beating around the bush. Not much room for company growth or employee growth inside production line.
Self motivation and constant promotion required
Dryer Vent Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2015
Easy but tedious, must acquire your own customer base. Seasonal work. Self employed - tool kit and training are giving, then you must do your own canvassing for customers. Basically, you're self employed. The amount of work depends on the size of the area you want to cover.
Ethical and effective programs
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Dyer IndianaMarch 31, 2015
Northstar has a high ethical standard, positive atmosphere and effective programs. There is a team environment that encourages professional growth.
Productive work place
Stand Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJuly 18, 2014
My typical day of work was handing food out and dealing with people that was under the influnace of alcohol thats what I dis like about it to.

What I like is I got to watch the race and meet new people and see the kids face when there driver won. We got to go to other states and city.

The owner was a good manager I like working under them.

The coworkers we all had fun and enjoy each other thoughts and home town.
Pros
free food and camping
that the job was good but the mangement was very rough
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2014
i would wake up early and would go to work and i would pick up my routes and go deliver food to them sometimes it would take all day so i wouldn't get to take a break so i kept on working until i went home the hardest part of work was that i had to work all day without a break
It was different
Cook/ Dish (Former Employee) –  Columbus OhioApril 3, 2015
For a typical day i would go in at 4pm clock in time wise i would have a shift meal which was a free meal before or after any shift if you choose. After that i go and put my chef coat on then i go and see my list of duties i would have to get done that day or night. I have learned that a team is only as good as its members and if the member aren't making you feel like you don't want to be at the job anymore then nine times out of ten you're not going to be. Management had its strong people and its weak there were some managers that didn't care if you sank or swam and then there were those who didn't know what they were doing. My Co-workers were really all mexican so it was hard to understand them sometimes which in some aspects made the job harder some days. There was never anything really hard about northstar it was just all a learning process. The most enjoyable thing about that job was the fact that if you were sick or called of because you had life problems the management and my Co-workers felt the need to always welcome you back.
Pros
Money, hours, morning shifts
Cons
Didnt work with schedule, team work, the team under pressure, helping a person when they are overwhelmed.
Fair and reasonable with flexability
Respite care provider (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYMarch 16, 2012
It was a very comfortable working environment. The staff was friendly and considerate. My favorite part was not only getting to work with the children but make a difference. As a respite care provider you choose your own hours and it really is an amazing field to work in, I absolutely enjoyed it. You get to be outside of an office and interacting with the people of the community. Now honestly, I cannot comment on any other department within North Star because I only interacted with this specific department for meetings and that was all.
Pros
pick your own hours
Cons
to be honest i cannot think of any.

Want to know more about NORTH STAR?

Ask a question
NorthStar had an incentive for everyone to make bonus
Bill Collector (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYDecember 28, 2012
I would come into work and there would always be a new prize on the bored for wever made over $500 in cash form a debt. I know how to multitask better. I didn't really pa attenion to the management unless I was getting a payment which they were good with helping get the payment. I didn't associate with my co-workers. I don't belive that there was a hard part to this job. Most enjoyable rt was helping people with there debt.
Pros
people cussing me out
Cons
the bonus checks.
Important Position
Fire Watch (Former Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXJuly 2, 2013
Safety meeting first and then stood in the refinery making sure everything stayed safe for the works in my area.

learned to pay attention at all time to beware of my surroundings.

worked with a great group of guys.

hardest part was having to stand in the Heat all day and wear long sleeve shirts and pants and hard hat.

I got to work with my husband and see him all day.
Cons
heat, money
Awsome
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 16, 2013
There was very little management intervention during working hours. This meant that the job was very focused on self motivation which was nice. There was also very few people who actually came to this store so there was frequently little to no work and plenty of time to do other things.
Cons
only avaliable to university of michigan students, closed
I really enjoyed working at North Star
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 18, 2013
The work days are Mon-Fri and you leave work at 5 or 6. The children there really need people who care about them to be active in their lives. The students I taught had my personal number. you will definitely get attached to the students. The job requires a lot of patience.
First time working on a truck
Waste collections, truck dump operator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2013
early done by noon
how to deal with waste
great boss
cool co-worker
breaking down (truck)
every week getting paid
Pros
started early in the morning
Cons
getting off early
good paper
Bill Collector (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYSeptember 12, 2012
good paper to collect on, good benefits, good human resources, holiday ,k vacation and sick pay, just hard to move up in position unless you worked for them in the past or notin the friends and family plan
A great place to work
MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAJune 5, 2014
North Star is a great place to work. The people there are doing amazing things that they could not do if they were confined to school during the weekdays.
productive and sometimes fun
Photo and Design Editor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 26, 2012
it was difficult with work but it was fun meeting new people and seeing my designs in the paper when it came out. It took alot of commitment
company sucked
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 14, 2014
not one good thing junk trucks unsafe practices no good management
good
pls engineer (Former Employee) –  hoover, alabamaNovember 6, 2012
worked on pls engineering and conducting uverse blueprints in the southeast