North Texas Job Corps

North Texas Job Corps Employee Reviews

Facilities
Facilities Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee), McKinney, TXMay 27, 2015
I enjoyed working in Facilities because I learned a lot about the day to day functions of operations. Worked well with management and co workers. Assigned work orders to technicians and called in contractors and vendors to complete specialty functions.
fun
Nursing Aide/Orderly/Attendant (Trainee) (Former Employee), McKinney, TXMay 18, 2015
basically its like another day at work but also like a high school its preparing you for the real world and its capabilities to see if you are really ready or not
Great school
Helper (Former Employee), McKinney, TXNovember 18, 2014
Great school for the less fortunate. It allows you to learn a specific trade of your choosing for free. Each student could cost over $40,000 a year.
It is what you make it
CNA Student (Current Employee), McKinney, TxNovember 10, 2014
Pros: under new management, second chance for students, various activities & groups, trade instructors & cte managers are amazing & dedicated.
Cons: wellness clinic not efficient, facilities need maintenance, updates, & repairs, visitation from loved ones only on weekends, security officers look unfit for their job
PROS:
It's completely free education, food, and place to sleep. We get paid for going to class and learning a trade. Bonuses are awarded to students with perfect attendance ($20 extra), earning a higher testing score on the TABE test ($50 to $100), and plenty of opportunity to win prizes like extra money & food coupons.
We now have a new contractor, so the "No Tolerance" policies are now enforced more than they've ever been. Food has gotten better and most staff are attentive and really care about the students and their success. It's self-paced, so if you learn your trade, find a job, and have a set goal for when you get out, you can be in and out in no time.

CONS: Some students do not take the program seriously and therefore create an environment that is difficult for others to learn and grow positively in. Communication between management, staff, and students can be terrible most times; we always get information at the last minute and it always changes. Cafeteria staff can be rude at times.

ADVICE: If you're applying to work here, I urge you to be flexible and really have a passion for the youth/students. If you're planning on attending as a student, be flexible, positive, and focused. Don't get distracted by those students who don't take this seriously. Have a plan and goal in mind before you get here and never forget why you came. Remember, this is life and there will always be challenges, how you react to them will define your character.
Anything worth having will be hard to get. Anything easy to get is not worth having.
It was adequate if one was determined to graduate and better their life.
Security Cadet (Former Employee), McKinney, TxOctober 22, 2014
Pros: friends, anime club, my instructors, and going home on the weekends
Cons: the students/ coworkers, management, and food
- Get up early to eat breakfast, head to your assigned trade area and study said trade, eat lunch, have GGI (Guided Group Interaction), have dinner, go to your specified club, and then bedtime.

- How to be a security guard if needed.

- They tried, but some tended not to care.

- Annoying for the most part.

- Dealing with idiotic people.

- Getting through the day after completing a certain part of your trade.
A great opportunity to learn social work
Career Advisor (Current Employee), McKinney, TXOctober 16, 2014
Pros: a great learning opportunity/ meeting people
Cons: too much documentation/ minimal training
We conducted classes for students with behavior problems that suffered from bipolar and schizophrenia. We observed clients in different setting and documented their behavior for the psychologist to make an analysis.
i didnt work there i went to school there
trainee (Former Employee), McKinney, TXOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch free living area
Cons: short breaks stay in class to long
it was okay i well tell alot of people to go there i didnt work there i was student there its like a big college but its not for you if you havent been away from home before i wouldnt want to go back there
Disorganized corrupt contractor
Career Preparation Period Teacher (Current Employee), Mesquite, TXOctober 1, 2014
Job Corps does not care about its students... bottom line. The employees are not promoted fairly. There is no communication and no support from management. They are currently under investigations.
A difficult place to maintain focus and drive.
Apprentice Carpenter (Former Employee), McKinney, TXSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: my instructor did his job and more to prepare me for working in the field.
Cons: the aspects of the center outside of trade where extremely difficult to maintain focus in.
Although it was a difficult place to maintain focus and drive i learned so much from my carpentry instructor. I obtained an extensive knowledge base in the basics of carpentry and had many opportunities to display that and my leadership skills. I completed at the top of my class and with many awards. The career transition portion of my time there was little more than unsatisfactory leaving me to fend for myself once i left. I would not recommend anyone attend until the center finishes with its current contractor change and the environment is set back up to the way it was founded to be.
Fun place to work
Career Development Counselor (Current Employee), McKinney, TXSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours/schedules
I enjoy working for and with my students. I enjoy witnessing success for my students after they've completed their high school diploma, their career technical training and their driver's license.
It was horrible
Rec Aid (Former Employee), McKinney, TXSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch, $23 every two weeks
Cons: short breaks, nasty food, horrible health care, unsanitized
I was in school at job corps as well and nothing was organized and it was just horrible . A lot of staff didn't do their jobs right. They treated people like they were children. But, I volunteered in the recreation center on campus to keep me busy and every staff member that works in there is great.
good experiance
Student Advisor (Former Employee), mckinney txAugust 20, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: students out of control
enjoyed working here there is a need for more disaplinary actions for the students that attend the program
The Youth
Independent Living Advisor (Former Employee), McKinney, TXAugust 6, 2014
My most proud moment at the job was the youth. They made work fun while learning new daily living and coping skills.
Unsafe work environment.
Career Instructor (Former Employee), McKinney, TXMay 25, 2014
Unsafe work environment and poor management of personnel and facilities.
security
Intern Security (Former Employee), McKinney, TXMay 7, 2014
this is my field of career study. i have always wanted to look for a career as police officer.
Productive work place
President (Former Employee), McKinney, TXDecember 29, 2013
North Texas Job Corps is a place where you learn to become employable. Not only for the good of others but yourself as well. I had the honor in being President of the campus, speaking for the student body as a whole on the weekly bases. Everything that I did was based on the student body and how to be a voice for them. The hardest part was getting students to work with an idea instead of against it. The most enjoyable part was being a great impact on the students even til this day i get emails and phone calls about how i have helped them in someway. If i could do it again i would.
pretty much the same as Treasure island job corps
Basic Trainee (Former Employee), McKinney, TXNovember 14, 2013
Pros: same
Cons: same
rather enjoyable fun time, there is not much to say about a place that is identical in all the benefits
A placa to learn what you need
Culinary Arts-Trainee (Current Employee), McKinney, TXSeptember 3, 2013
It is hard work day in and day out working non-stop.. but one of the good things that come to light is the knowledge and the work ethic in the kitchen. And you also get to be creative with your food.
Tolerable place.... Get certified and start career
Electrical Trainee (Former Employee), McKinney, TXSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free food and soda
Cons: pay, hours, no flexible schedule
The staff themselves are good people, but you can't controll everyone. I have nearly gotten what i came for.
Learning new things..
Security Officer (Former Employee), McKinney, TXJuly 25, 2013
Woke up at 5:45 a.m. went to security academy. Marched and sang cadince in formation. learned leadership skills and learned many new things.