NORTHEAST FLORIDA STATE HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Life at nefsh
Human Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLNovember 4, 2016
I work Night shift and I love it most of the time but then comes the times when I want to sleep and it is bright and hot outside, or when night shift gets all the blame at work or when we get completely over looked. I love this job and I love my residents but I just am not too crazy over the staff that I work with every day. The hardest part is the over time. I just want to go home at the end of a 12 hour day but most of the time I have to stay over for 4 extra hours. But it is worth it seeing the difference I have made in some of the residents (patients) lives.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
Short break, nothing to eat for nightshift
Psychiatric Aide (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJanuary 31, 2016
16/Hr shifts
Best part of my job was helping the needy
Co-workers okay; need time to know who you can trust
The hardest part was trying to stay awake for so many hours
Pros
HEALTH BENEFITS
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT
Very low Morale, need management improvments
Unit Treatment & Rehab Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLDecember 8, 2015
Worked here for approximately 1 year with hopes of a change in management due to the morale and negativity, No Communication skills at all, very backward facilitated place of work
Pros
HealthCare, Benifits
Cons
Overtime 16 hrs mandatory every two days then 8 hrs then 16 more x 2 6 days a week
Horrible
Human Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLDecember 1, 2016
Not what it use to be. No option for advancement any more. Supervisor positions are being cut. If your a nurse, its perfect. Nursing is the future.
Fiscal Accountant
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJune 23, 2016
I learned more about medical billing while billing medicare through first coast service options and keeping up with the CMS guidelines to ensure all guidelines were met in doing so.

In accepting my new position I have more opportunity for advancement as a buyer.
er
Human Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLNovember 6, 2016
The skills that they teach you in dealing with individual with a mental illness is a plus. Being able to desclate a individual in a crisis is one of the best qualification you leave with. Northest Florida State Hospital teaches you how to deal with all sourts of issues.
Dangerous place to work, large aggressive patients that frequently hit staff and other patients with little to no consequences for their actions.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLSeptember 15, 2015
The hospital used to be a enjoyable and reasonably safe place to work-that is for a psychiatric hospital. However, that has all changed since about 2011. Some of the patients are large, aggressive and often hit other patients and staff as well. Some victims require extensive hospitalization-face and neck injuries from getting punched, kicked and bit. The women are more apt to bite. Some of the doctors rarely go near the patients because they don't want to get injured. But they don't seem to care if the staff get injured. The head administrator is not concerned either. His biggest concern is that the nurses do not make more money than his salary. Nurses are paid hourly and can make more by working overtime. Safety is not his concern. Prior to 2011 the aggressive patients would be sent to a more restrictive environment. Now they just leave them on the ward and let them prey on the patients and staff. One doctor stated that the patients were not responsible for their behavior so medicating them would be chemical restraint and illegal- even just after a staff member was severely injured by a patient. Stay away from this place!
benefits
Cons
dangerous
Not a great place to work
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJuly 6, 2016
The mindset is not welcoming here & the pay is horrible, and there is no room to move up. They have a click system here no matter your qualifications or educational background.
Pros
Pay very low
Cons
Not welcoming
Needs to be closed
Nurse (Former Employee) –  NurseAugust 21, 2013
This facility is the largest employer in Baker County for the past 50 years. Along with those 50 years has blossomed a sick and bizarre network of nepotism and substandard care.

The Direct Care Staff are not under the guidance of Licensed nurses and basically regulate themselves. In other words no professional standards of medical practice. There are nurse's on the wards to pass meds but they mostly keep quiet. Why? Because the common threat is that staff will not help you if you are attacked by a patient. It happened to a supervisor and the staff is quick to let new people know it happens. It is more like a prison yard than a hospital.

The patient care areas are filthy with the only clean areas at the Directors offices.
Benefits
Cons
mandatory overtime, support staff
Team work atmosphere but involuntary overtime
Human Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJuly 23, 2013
Helping the mentally ill improve in many areas such as personal hygiene, financial matters, transitioning back into society, and many more. Working with others and using customer service skills and verbal redirection to improve a heightened situation were one of the many things that were learned. Managers and co workers worked together due to shift changes. This allowed the following shift to know of all previous activities of staff and patients. The hardest part of this job was the involuntary overtime that was given, due to not enough coverage on the following shift. The most enjoyable part of this job was the relationships that were created between staff and patients.
Benefits
Cons
Involuntary overtime
Inconsiderate of others personal life
Human Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLApril 16, 2013
The most enjoyed the care and love I provided to the residents. The hardest part of the job was working two to three double shifts within a week including your regular forty hour week. A typical work day was exciting and very busy working with mental health. The management have terrible attitudes and very inconsiderate.
Pros
to many double shifts in a work week including your regular forty hours
benefits
Large campus with many different units.
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  MacclennyMarch 29, 2012
I work on the medical unit, working with mentally ill individuals with acute and chronic physical illnesses. Medication, treatment administration, and charting. The hardest part of this job is to always be prepared for verbal or physical abuse. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my patient's smile and appreciate the care I give them.
benefits
Cons
management
Steady work schedule, good benefits package
Registered Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLMay 16, 2013
3-11 shift
Medication pass at 4p and 8p
Routine IM injections periodically
PRN IM injections for behavioral issues
Direct care staff has separate chain-of-command
Admission assessments
Progress notes and other administrative paperwork on routine basis
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Required OT when needed
I enjoyed interacting with the residents
human Services Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FlJanuary 23, 2012
I was able to learn alot from citizens with disabilities. When working for corrections we have a tendency to lose our compassion for others.
Pros
good benefits
Security Department
Mental Health Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLOctober 17, 2015
I had worker at NEFSH since 1984 to 2012 with two short breaks one in 05/1988 to 08/1989 then again in 02/1991 to 08/1992 and remained there until I retired in 01/2012. It was a wonderful hospital to work for and it was the type of job i truly loved, working with the mentally ill is a great pleasure and I feel I do a great job..
Pros
Helping others with mentall illness..
Cons
seeing individuals take their lives and you can't help them..
Management scattered, long involuntary shifts back to back
HSWII (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJuly 18, 2015
Would not recommend working here, long involuntary shifts of 16 hours, sometimes days in a row. Management does not care about staff's safety or well-being. If you are assaulted by a patient and do not use their "mandt" training which is hardly training at all, you are at fault and accused of "abuse" for defending yourself. Even with broken bones, it's all a joke.
Great place to work. Patient population is extraordinary.
Rehabilitation Therapist - Programming Services (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLOctober 1, 2012
This is a wonderful facility to work for. It will always have a special place in my heart. Staff, clients and management were a great joy to work with. I resigned because the pay scale was extremely low and advancement opportunities were minimal. I struggled monthly to make ends meet even with extensive overtime.
Pros
everything
Cons
pay
Very interesting and never a dull moment
CNA (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLJuly 10, 2015
It was always very interesting because you never knew what the day would bring. The individuals has some very creative imaginations. I learned alot about mental illness. I held a few of the individuals in a special place in my heart for their stories and what they had endured during their life.
Pros
Easy, non stressful job
Cons
very dirty environment, mainly due to building being so old
Challenging and fast paced
Rehabilitation Treatment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 23, 2015
The job is very challenging at times, fast paced, and teaches you about patience and understanding of other individuals perspective.
Certified Nursing Assistant job.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FlaApril 15, 2015
A typical day at work involves interacting with patients. I have learned the hardest part of the job is management will not work with you to further your education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTHEAST FLORIDA STATE HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6