Northeast Georgia Health System

Northeast Georgia Health System Employer Reviews

good pay/poor leadership
Radiographer (Current Employee), GainesvilleSeptember 27, 2014
The pay is very good but management is terrible. We have core values that leadership personnel disregard.
toxic, dysfunctional, unprofessional senior leadership
executive (Current Employee), Gainesville, GASeptember 14, 2014
Cons: deeply dysfunctional leadership, problems are hidden and cannot be discussed
The bottom line is that you had better not say anything negative about anything or anyone, even when there are serious operational problems. And even if your concerns are completely valid, NGHS does NOT want to hear about serious problems; they only want to talk about successes! No conflict is permitted.

In the relatively short time I've been here, – more... I have come to understand the culture of the executive team to be deeply dysfunctional. Despite the stated value of encouraging "unfiltered dialogue" that couldn't be less representative of the culture. Its an environment that does not welcome any form of open dialogue. In fact, open dialogue is discouraged and punished.

Think carefully about coming to work here. Looks good from the outside, but it's rotten to the core on the inside! Lousy leadership and you don't want to learn anything from them. You will pray you don't pick up any of this dysfunctional behavior. You will lack respect for the leadership of NGHS. And, all for very good reasons.

Under the current executive leadership, the senior executives are required to meet monthly with psychological "executive coaches". However, this is unlike any executive coaching I've ever encountered. You are never told that what you disclose to a licensed PhD psychologist is not confidential and will be shared in explicit detail with both the CEO and other executives. The sessions are essentially designed to probe for any conflict or disagreements between the executives, no matter how slight or immaterial. These disagreements are then discussed with other parties, despite the clear fact that the conversations were disclosed to the psychologist based on the belief there was some confidentiality.

There aren't any ground rules with respect to anything the "coach" does. It's unclear if this is poor judgement or if it's a "mandate" from the Board leadership. In either case, for experienced, competent health care executives and business leaders, it's an unacceptable unhealthy environment.

There is an intolerance of any dissenting opinions and of any open discussion of differing opinions. Experience has taught me that spirited debate is necessary to get to the best decision in an industry that's filled with "gray" choices. In this organization though, there is much more importance placed on provincial "old southern" behavior of pretending everything is "perfect" but saying something slightly catty, preferably when only the intended party will hear you.

In July, 2014, I was an unwilling participant in what some of the senior executive team has dubbed "shame fest," the "kangaroo court" and "the inquisition". This "team building" day went haywire.

The "coach" rearranged the room and moved some people to one side of the table, and the rest to the other side of the table. She very generally described some conflict the team member had described to her, related to revenue cycle issues. Those with no knowledge of the issue were asked to join the "coach's" table and become the "panel" (read: jury). The coach" then asked everyone who wasn't part of the "jury" to state their case, describe their roles in the dispute and tell their viewpoint of the issues. As this unfolded, things were shared that had been discussed in confidence, to a counselor and psychologist. It was extremely uncomfortable and went on for almost 3 hours of belittling, caustic and condescending treatment.

Statements made under this extreme stress were used as "bait" to encourage people to turn on each other and there was an attempt to pit the "victims" against each other by telling them things they had said in "confidence."

Several things are extraordinarily clear: we had better be careful whom we trust here and what we say to our "team"; it's all about what you want to hear, not about truth and accuracy; it's all about the pretense, not the reality; there is no open dialogue, filtered for otherwise; there is no interdependence, deep or otherwise. – less
Only a consultant
Consultant (Current Employee), Gainesville, GASeptember 8, 2014
If I were looking to stay in Georgia, I would love to work for this hospital.
wasnt a fair practice
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, GAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: bad managment
I wasnt treatly fairly,because of race i was terminated,the position i was hired for was not the position i was working as.
Very nice to work at
Volunteer (Former Employee), Gainesville, GAMay 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches, nice
Cons: n/a
The volunteer work was fun and the people there were quite nice. They give you meals for you work and the meals are decent. It was a very nice experience and the hours can accumulate very quickly if that's all you are doing it for. The staff, while very busy considering its a hospital, were very nice to the volunteers and myself when we came into their – more... department to work. – less
It is a decent place to work.
nursing (Current Employee), Gainesville, GADecember 28, 2013
Pros: dedicated workers
Cons: poor advancement
Overall good and friendly environment. The senior management has good vision and invested in the future of the company.
Horrible Supervisors
phlebotomy (Former Employee), gainesvilleOctober 14, 2013
Cons: only a 30 min lunch break for 9 hrs of work and lack of care for employees
I worked at the hospital in the lab as a phlebotomist. I went into labor twice at work at only 20 weeks pregnant. I asked to be put on light duty and after my supervisor refused, I was put on bed rest by my dr with a note for work. When I tried to go back to work, I found out my supervisor entered me into the system as non rehire abandoned position. – more... They do not care about their employees and run you into the ground. I would work 8 days straight 9 hrs a night on third shift then get one night off, yet my status was PRN and I was not eligible for insurance. I've never seen so much back stabbing, ignorance and carelessness at a place of employment. – less
Don't recommend working at NE GA Med Ctr.
RN (Current Employee), InpatientOctober 12, 2013
Pros: patient's appreciate the care
Cons: lack nursing support, short staffed, poor opportunity for advancement
If you don't mind constant negative feedback, maybe you would like working at this hospital. While I'm sure there are some exceptions, the nurse management has no appreciation for the things nurses and techs do. They feel the need to constantly criticize despite staffing shortages. Patients are greatful but management has a lot to learn. Cafeteria is – more... the worst of any hospital I've been in. Poor support for career advancement. – less
disagreement with practices and proceedures
RN (Former Employee), New Horizons NorthSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: liked employes
Cons: disagreed with management
Former employee. Unfortunately LTC owned and run by NGMC. As nurse I was instructed to do some things that I ethically disagreed with. I had been trained and worked for years doing things one way and was told to do things another way...Not a good place to work or to be the patient at.
Horrible Management
RN (Current Employee), Staff NurseSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: only working 3 days a week
Cons: everything else
The hours are great and benefits are okay. Other than that, they have nothing to offer. The old saying that nurses eat their young is well proven here, and management does nothing about it. Complaining to the supervisor is useless, nothing gets accomplished. Communication is non existent. You are very lucky if you get a response, at least in the emergency – more... department. I had complained multiple times as a family member of a patient several years ago. When i became employed there i thought that things would be different and I could see their point of view in their actions. That was not the case. They were still rude and unhelpful. The charge nurse will raise her voice and scold you over little things in front of patients, family and other staff, which is very unprofessional. Nurse techs gather in the hallway and complain about their job just outside of patient's rooms. I can totally understand why they have such an extremely high turnover rate! – less
Very Dissapointing
RN (Former Employee), LTCJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: taught the correct way to manage people in orientation at the hospital
Cons: biggest con was that management just does not want to take the time to care about their employees
Management does not care about their employees. Management does not want to address valid employee concerns. Management does not reward employees for a job well done. Management does not belive that treating employees fairly is their job. A totally different type of supervising and managing ones employees. This occurd at an off site facility run by – more... NGMC As a result morale was bad and depressing place to work! – less

May 20, 2013

I am a former lpn that had worked with Northeast Georgia for 7 years. I cannot think of anywhere else I have ever worked that the management was more unprofessional, incompetant, backstabbing and redneck. In my opinion, Northeast Georgia is truly an evil empire. The closing of Lanier Park Hospital was the WORST thing that ever could have happened to the workers and patients of Gainesville.

good work envirornment but bad lower mangement
former employee (Former Employee), gainesville gaNovember 29, 2012
Pros: good pay decent work conditions
Cons: benefits not great lower management terrible
Work Not a bad place to work although lower level management
is weak. The tactics taught for the job do not match
What should be used on patients and not quite sure why it
Is taught.
The benefits for a health care facility are pretty poor and one
is required to stay in the hospital system.
The pay is good for what is required to do but the job
Is not – more... very fulfilling. Is a good job for retired folks but
Not for younger people's – less
Fantastic infrastructure considering the diverse geographical business relationships
Technical Administrator Ancillary Services (Current Employee), Gainesville, GAAugust 6, 2012
Pros: technical infrastructure and departmental environment
Cons: data center too isolated from medical center
Many multitasking days trading off project planning, workflow evalualtion, and implementations with real time system management, troubleshooting and testing. Have a matrix resource system to manage and apply resources as necessary. Evaluate and negotiate with vendors from infrastructure to software and end user training. The IT department as a whole – more... is one of the best I have encountered in my travels in term of knowledge and critical yet logical thinking about healthcare information technology. Most all of the systems are cutting edge technology, with an attempt to keep current and yet ground breaking in others. For example the HIE I have as a project for data exchange between facilities in 23 counties and, eventually the state, has a base environment specifications but continue to improve the system performance with the vendor well beyond what began as the original design. The most difficult part has been bringing so much change in so little time to quite the range of technical ability of the physician and customer base. The challenges of doing such is also some of the most enjoyable, being challenged keeps me on my toes, aware of the patient, not merely system advancement. – less
Quality Care
Program Director (Former Employee), Gainesville, GAJune 30, 2012
Organization sets the bar with quality care. It is invested in the community.

About Northeast Georgia Health System

Northeast Georgia Health System in Gainesville, Georgia, is a not-for-profit community health system, dedicated to improving the – Read more