Northeastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Academic setting allowing employees to nurture and encourage university students
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2015
Northeastern Illinois University is a wonderful academic environment where learning is highly valued. I have the opportunity to nurture and encourage university students on a daily basis. I am a community builder and enjoy this component of my job building community among the students and faculty members.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Unstable state budget
janitorial
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2015
state of ill job ,great work atmosphere security and job duties, low pay rate forced me to seek a trade. very secure job being a civil servant
Very friendly place to work
Human Resource Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2015
I enjoy working at NEIU. I like working in Human Resources because there is a lot to learn. I meet a lot of people and enjoy being of service to them when they are in need.
Pros
job security
Cons
advancement
Productive and fun workplace environment
Human Resource Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of filing papers, organizing and alphabetizing applications to file away. Co workers were friendly and extremely helpful.
excellent workplace
resident lecturer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
i taught four classes per day and conducted office hours for students who may have needed extra help.i learned patience.my supervisor was an excellent person,as well as my co-workers.the hardest part of my job was failing a student.the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the recgnition in a students eyes.
Pros
new semester twice a year.
Cons
Good people to work with
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Learning support centerMay 10, 2015
NEIU is a great place to work with. Nice work environment and nice people. Had a wonderful time with the staff and the co-workers
NEIU experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2015
Working through NEIU I would say that my overall experience was outstanding. The staff were highly devoted to their jobs and were also friendly. They knew what was required of them and they knew how to  more... implement plans to ensure high levels of success. This job encouraged all the employees to participate and come up with various ways to solve situations. A typical day consisted of admiration by students, teachers, faculties, and other individuals. They acknowledge the work that was being done and attempted to assist in anyway possible. The hardest part of the job was thinking about how to help students that were struggling outside of school with their personal lives. Other than that the job was enjoyable and the constant meetings were highly beneficial.  less
Pros
College Campus visits for students that were free of charge
Cons
Student's struggles
Fun work place, great kids.
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2015
Great position for undergrad students seeking a degree in education. If you are passionate about working with kids, this place is great for you.
Northeastern Illinois University
Financial Aid Adviser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Working for Northeastern Illinois University had its advantages and disadvantages. Nonetheless, there were more disadvantages than advantages. But, some of the people made the job worth while.
Pros
Meeting New people
Cons
Work environment
this was a work study position, glad to have been able to gain knowledge about computers while studying
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
while working on my own papers, i was able to help student's and gain knowledge about computers my coworkers were my fellow classmates so we helped each other with class projects, there were no hard parts however i loved being able to spend time surfing the net while i worked
Outdated with good benefits
Office Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2015
NEIU is a good place to start but there are no advancement opportunities. You do get 2 classes tuition free each semester if you want to advance education wise. You also get to use the tuition benefits at any state university. Other than that the benefits are good but the pay is not so much.
welcoming campus atmosphere, firm and dedicated professors, and friendly and diverse students
Teaching Assistant in "Business Statistics" (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2015
A typical day at work: Besides taking my own graduate courses, I spent 4 hour/day in tutor office waiting undergraduate students who feel difficult with their "Business Statistics" study.

What I learned:  more... I learned to communicate with students with different culture background and communicate with professors with different curriculum requirement. I learned to be patient and explain complex concepts using easy to understand terms.

Management: The professor who supervise us tutors are nice and firm. He obtained feedback from professors and students frequently and communicated with us timely. However, once he found that the feedback was unfair to us, he totally support us.

My co-workers: I learned a lot from my co-workers. I was impressed with their dedication during their work. Most of them become my good friends.

The hardest part of the job: There were too many students in the waiting list. I wanted the student understand the material thoroughly; in the meantime, I had to consider the time limit.

The most enjoyable part of the job: I was very satisfied when the students in front of me truly understood the concept and were able to solve problems by themselves.  less
Pros
covered most of my graduate tuition, improved my communication skills, trained me to complete multitask under pressure.
Great scheduling of hours for Student Aide job
Clerk Typist IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2015
Great office experience and resume builder.

The professors in the department were very pleasant and also helpful when I needed help with an assignment even though it was not for their class.
Great people, no room for advancement
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2014
varied job, did tech work, hooked up mics, speakers, computers, projectors, set out chairs tables, podiums and a while bunch of little, in between stuff, even set out sandwich boards advertising our events. Loved middle management, supervisors and the like, one ATD and TD were not very worker-friendly, lots of opportunity/instances for favoritism
Pros
often free food, good work schedule, great, lasting friends
Cons
often long hours, little to no training to get you started, management talent severely lacking
WOW
Facilities Management-Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2014
The best internship in my life. Great organization to study in and work for
A typical College Professorship
Assistant Professor of History (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2014
College professorship is a great career.

The other members (the ones I worked with are all retired) were generous with their skills and knowledge.

Working with students is its own challenge but that's part of the fun.

I miss it.
Pros
good working conditions. i had my own office.
very good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2014
I led students in class for several subjects. The fun part was solving complex problems with students and having them come up with their answers.
My day at work
Ground Maintenance & Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllJuly 10, 2014
I would get my assignment, then perform my between breaks & lunch. I've learned to work as a team player & with different machines & equipment. If I needed a hand with anything my co-worker where always availble to help me out. Entering the womens restroom to clean it. Meeting new people from different ethnicities
Pros
attaining new knowledge
Cons
sometimes not having the right equipment to work with
Fun place to volunteer
Leadership Development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2014
Volunteer: after graduate I contunie to volunteer when ask I volunteer with other Alumni. I enjoy it because I assisted with a diversity of need it kids and parents with donation for winter coats, hats and gloves
Pros
volunteer alumni
Productive and fun
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2014
Great place to work. Enjoyable employees always willing to help out lot's going on in campus.

4.2