Northeastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

work while at school
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2017
really good place to work while at school. can become tedious but I learned some new things about customer care and the ins and outs of how a university works.
Ecercise
Physical Education Instructor/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2017
• Maintain athletic supply inventory and requisition new sporting goods as needed
• Communicate with parents through parent-teacher conferences and address student issues when needed
• Analyze student progress and attempts and grade accordingly as required by district curriculum
Fun
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2017
Good environment to work in and great people to work with each day. It can be fast-paced but it is manageable after you learn the roes for each position.
Best Job Ever
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
paid travel and unlimited sick and vacation time. We get to pick what area we work in. We have our office building away from main campus. Great place to work!!!!
good education and working environment
Work-Study Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
good wokring envrionment, that has thoguh me to manage my time, muslti task, network and work deligently in a professional environment. i have really enjoy wokring there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short amount oh hours and low pay
I taught Writing I and II
Adjunct Instructor - English (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
I taught Writing I and II at the college to a diverse group of students.
It was a great opportunity and quite rewarding. I prepared lesson plans, and taught the class.
Pros
Good students and faculty
Cons
No enough classes to teach
Multitask acctivities
GEAR UP Parent/Student Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2017
• Deliver presentations during meetings of the Roosevelt Parent Advisory Council, the Roosevelt Bilingual Advisory Committee, and the regional bilingual meetings facilitated by Chicago Public Schools.

• Deliver bilingual workshops for parents on a range of topics to raise their awareness about high school graduation requirements, how GPA is calculated, the importance of taking rigorous classes, and the steps that are necessary to prepare for college.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of communication
An indifferent culture!
LECTURER, POLITICAL SCIENCE & HISTORY (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2017
No-one really cares! Unless you are full-time faculty, advancement prospects are nonexistent. No job security at all. Course assignments for adjuncts are subject to the whims of the department chair. Senior-level administration is in a world of its own. Constant infighting between FT faculty and adminstration. NO input from PT faculty in any decision making.
A fantastic place to build of your career foundation and possible advancement
TRIO Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2017
Excellent coaching staff members who maintain an open-door policy. Very relax atmosphere with help always around the corner from any of the available supervisors.
Pros
friendly place to work
Cons
short hours
Extremely educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
My experience working for the Vice President of Student Affairs was one of my greatest work experiences. It prepared me for higher educational and the great possibilities higher education can bring.
Pros
Great experiences to learn and train other students.
Cons
Extremely fast paced.
Great community
Associate Professor, Computer Science (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
Good group of students, staff and faculty. Facing many external challenges and from within. This is one of the few places that still cares and provides opportunities for students that otherwise do not have any other reasonable college options. Should get more state and public support due to its mission.
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2017
I was a student there. I took a class. It is Philosophical and Historical Foundations of Education. First course towards Teacher Certification in Illinois.
Good job
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2017
Graduate assistanceship helped me pay for my tuition and fees, which helped me out tremendously. The library was fairly easy work and I was able to do a lot of my school work while staffing the reference desk.
It's a good place to study but be prepared to teach yourself.
Student (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2017
If you can study and teach yourself this is a great place to be. if you need help from teachers, funding, or any type of advise... maybe you should go elsewhere.
Pros
get to learn in a cooperative and understanding environment
Cons
lack of response from teachers
Great place for a student
Peer Writing Fellow, Desk Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
Northeastern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work as a student who needs extra cash! The environment is very healthy and allows you to network with people from other departments and disciplines.
great place
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2017
I went back to school at NEIU and went to work there as well. It is a great community of people who love to learn and interact. Overall friendly and helpful people. It's a shame that the Illinois government has put institutions like NEIU under duress.
Friendly atmosphere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Psychology DepartmentJuly 7, 2017
My first ever work experience began at Northeastern University. I learned a lot and is able to excel in my talents working here. All of my supervisors were great and friendly.
Good people who are like family, good benefits and tuition discounts
IT Manager / Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2017
Whilst I know that the State of Illinois and all state universities are in an unholy fiscal mess presently (June 30th, 2017), I've been employed at NEIU for 18.5 years and have had nothing but a positive experience working here. I have a great relationship with all my co-workers and adjoining staff. They're like family. People here are, for the most part, friendly, hard working and support our students and faculty with professionalism. Great work/life balance that affords time off, accrued sick/vacation time and 50% tuition discounts after working for 8+ years full time. Wish the salaries were higher but the benefits and time off often make up for the less than competitive salaries.
Great balance but no job security as of 2017
LAN Specialist 1 / Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2017
My negative review of NEIU is mainly caused by the current state budget crisis that we've been going through for 3 years. Without proper allocation, job security is questionable. Otherwise, NEIU is a reputable place of employment.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
job security
Videographer experience
Videographer / Editor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2017
Easy going cooperative staff. Good teamwork. easy to get to. Parking garage.

Fun and challenging events to record and edit. Lots of variety of education and cultural events to attend and record.Recital hall and auditorium are very busy. Campus wide assignments, video streaming on network.
Pros
Relaxed energetic environment
Cons
Faculty politics crossing boundaries