Northeastern State University Employee Reviews

Always productive at work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 12, 2014
I have experience in supervising office activities to achieve maximum expense control and productivity. Your company is looking for someone that have outstanding knowledge of MS office with strong emphasis in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. This is one of my great strengths. I am the backbone of knowledge at my current job with many different angles of computer knowledge. I also have developed procedures and policies for office activities, such as filing, dictating, records maintenance, typing, word processing, faxing and mail distribution, and maintenance of office equipment and supplies.

My current job also requires me to process all travel expenses to Accounts Payable for reimbursement to our staff. I analyze the accounting records to determine the financial resources required to implement programs and I make recommendations for budget allocations to ensure conformance to budgetary limits. I am also responsible for reviewing operating budgets periodically in order to analyze trends affecting budget needs. I also proof all documents for Human Resources and maintain the department web page.
The Best Education
Student (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKFebruary 24, 2015
At Northeastern State University I received the best education one could get. Granted, I took away more, and added more, than most students, but I am a person who loves to learn, and study beyond the required curriculum. My professions were, and are outstanding; top notch thinkers and educators. I would not trade my time and education at NSU for any object or place.
The campus was small and intimate allowing the student a personal relationship with the professors. Also the university was nestled in a rural part of Oklahoma, where one could focus on their studies without the distraction of a busy environment. A great school with fine educators engaging the students to learn and be all they can be.

Thank you NSU for encouraging and challenging me to rise above the dogma of this world with a new mind that allows me to see the world in a more realistic and in depth way.
Pros
all great things to say about this university
Cons
no negative memories.
I Learned a great deal over the last year and really feel like I have grown as a professional.
Assistant Athletic Trainer/ Full-Time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMay 10, 2012
As an athletic trainer our days are a little longer than most. we open the training room up at 7 in the morning and usually get to leave around 5 or 6 every evening. However, when we are in season we work seven days a week so the hours are bad a times but we get summers completely off so thats great. I learned such a great deal about teaching. This was my first experience and I really feel like it advanced my career. My co-workers were a lot of fun I really enjoyed getting to know everyone. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the most enjoyable was the relationship you gain with the athletes.
Pros
summers and breaks off
Cons
not enough pay for the hours worked
Peaceful, easy going atmosphere
Mentor/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKDecember 7, 2012
A typical day at the NSU Communication Lab involved coming in and sitting down to clock in. We answered the phones, logged appointments, met with students and provided the students with critiques on presentations. The people were easy going and great to work with and they were very flexible on swapping hours if someone needed a day off to cover a situation outside of work. I learned more about the communications field through this job and earned some much needed office experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a student clicked with the critique I provided. The hardest part was the stubborn students who tried to bully us into giving them the critique sheet without meeting with them or having the necessary materials.
Pros
time to do homework, easy going, relaxed, learned great skills
Cons
an hour and a half away from home.
Great Experience
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKAugust 22, 2015
I was a student while I worked here. I had a great experience the whole time I was here. My supervisors gave me a lot of opportunity to spearhead my own projects and develop my skills. I felt like a colleague more than a student worker.

This employer allowed me to use the concepts I learned in class and apply them to the workplace, which really brought my education to life.
Pros
Flexible work hours, adequate pay for education, lots of leadership development opportunities, laid-back work environment, collaborative work
Cons
Student worker jobs end when you graduate, university policies are weird at times, cap on work hours per week
It's fun and exciting.I love the people who work with me and have a good relationship with most of my coworkers.
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow OklahomaJuly 26, 2013
My job requires me to be flexible regarding my daily schedule due to the demands of the facility.In dealing with personal issues i have to be a good listener and a good communicator.This sometimes is a challenge with no easy solutions but usually we can come to some agreement.Trying to resolve personal issue is the most difficult aspect of my job.I enjoy troubleshooting equipment failure and fixing the problem.I take pride in a facility well maintained and ran efficiently.
This was my first job in accounts payable
Account Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKNovember 18, 2012
This was a busy palce to work at.
I learned how to work in accounts payables.
Management was great,
My co-workers were awesome and we had a lot of good times
The hardest part of this job was some of the spreedsheet formulas that was needed to do this job, but I learned them as well.
Most enjoyable part was going to work and all the co-workers had a smile, regardless how they knew their day was going to be.
Pros
had great benefits, and retirement.
Cons
some days i worked 10 to 12 hours, and commuted home.
Productive and fun environment
Full time Student (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKFebruary 17, 2014
A typical day would be going out to do "cold calls" to create new clients. I learned company's are very accepting to a positive, energized personality. The associates were very team oriented and work well together to create the best guest experience.
I enjoyed all aspects of this position, the associates; the clients; the working environment, it was all very positive.
Pros
meeting new people, benefits, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
long hours, physically hard work
Family friendly smaller campus
Secretary II Student Health Services (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah OKJune 17, 2013
Great people to work with! Day starts at 8am ends at 5pm with a one hour lunch. Management is personable and caring. Co-workers are considerate. The day is filled with many different tasks. I enjoy working with the students of NSU and providing a strong physical, mental and spiritual outline for a "healthy campus".
Pros
great people in leadership
Cons
located in small town
Educational
Budget Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 15, 2013
Support to Budget Director and various staff. Having thick skin was a must in this job as you have to deal with various personnel. I learned as a Budget Assistant how to keep folks within their budgetary guidelines. I enjoyed working on such a beautiful campus and getting to know the aspects of an educational establishment.
Pros
benefit packages and great people
Cons
not a lot of advancement opportunities
Great place to learn and grow
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKAugust 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for Northeastern State. I felt I had a great opportunity to learn from a variety of people from all walks of life. The Activity Board gave me a great chance to work on a variety of subjects I normally would not have worked on. The office was always busy, but always buzzing with positive energy.
Pros
Friendly office, great peers, free drinks
Tutor Computer Science students as needed
Computer Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northeastern State University Broken Arrow CampusMay 13, 2014
This job is great. I tutor students of all levels (freshman thru seniors) an help them pass their assignments and further explain concepts they had problems understanding. (Note: This job is to help others not do their homework.)
Pros
professors are nice and work load is comfortable
Cons
so topics are more difficult than others, frequent slow days
Nice place to work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKAugust 7, 2012
On a typical day of work, I spend most of my time entering information into eTapestry or Banner. Often looking up Alumni. I large portion of my lob is answering the phone and dealing with Alumni. Be it getting them set up with a membership, or helping them with a problem.
Pros
close to home, nice people, casual
Cons
boring work
Health benefits were great!
Cashier II (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 15, 2013
I enjoyed working with all the students.No advancement opportunities and poor management. Tug of war between two departments created a stressful work environment.
Pros
great healthcare benefits.
Cons
hours were 8am to 5pm, but was required to take lunch at 10am with no breaks allowed not even for the restroom.
Productive and Positive Work Environment
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJanuary 8, 2013
I would prepare lesson plans and assignments for students. I would prepare testing, evaluation, and posting of grades. I would evaluate students' achievements on the equipment when applicable. I learned that a college environment is very conducive to productive teaching. The best thing was the time management was reasonable.
The worst thing was the commute time from my home on the lake.
Pros
time management very conducive to productive teaching.
Cons
long commute from lake home.
Wonderful management and co-workers
Part-time Faculty/Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJune 18, 2012
part-time employee
endless amount of learning in education department as well as assisting in other departments.
Hardest part of the job was the differing schedules of the departments and the schedule I kept.
Pros
the amazing academic staff and the ability to learn from them
Cons
no room to advance as a part time employee
College Student WorkStudy
PreRequisites For Medical Field (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 28, 2012
Work while you Study, great Commerce!
Great Faculty
Nice Campus
Good Selection of Majors
Awesome Landscape for College Town -Nature Filled
Pros
getting paid to work around college hrs, and study on the clock at times
Cons
min wage but not complaining
Great College Atmosphere!
General Office Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow OklahomaJune 17, 2015
Enrollment of current and prospective students
Scheduled appointments to meeting with advisors
Answered and routed phone calls
Made copies
Fulfilled records requests
Pros
Fun place to work, nice co workers
Cons
Not much opportunities for advancement
loved working here!
STUDENT PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJune 13, 2014
great student environment
you can feel the energy and life as soon as you enter campus
excellent student activities offered throughout the year
great community outreach
Pros
discount on tuition while an employee, native american student population
Cons
pay raises
Supportive Environment, good colleagues
Instructor in the grad/undergrad college (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKFebruary 16, 2015
A supportive environment with great colleagues, excellent facilities, good benefits, up to date technology and good IT support.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
uncertain, unpredictable employment

4.5