Northeastern State University Employee Reviews

Adequate
Emeritus Professor of Geography (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJanuary 4, 2017
Tenure is not difficult to obtain if one is reasonably conscientious. Pressure to publish is not great, but professional involvement is required. There is no payscale and the disparity in salary is large; favoritism is clearly present. Superfluous reports and the like abound.
Pros
No great pressure for professional excellence.
Cons
Guidelines for success are very vague.
People at NSU are like family to me
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJanuary 3, 2017
Could not ask for a better place to work. People are like family. The time off for holidays is great you get most of the same time off as the kids do for school. Work environment is comfortable and everyone works with you as a team.
Pros
Time off for paid holidays
Cons
I cant think of any
Graduate assistant teacher
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Psychology Dept (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKDecember 20, 2016
I really enjoyed all aspects of teaching the basic introductory psychology course. This job gave teaching experience and the chance to work with a diverse group of students.
Interactive
Parking Office (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKOctober 19, 2016
Typical day at work involves communication with workers and patrons. I learned a lot about communication and also coordinating work shifts for my fellow workers and also working closely with campus police
Well Organized and Student Friendly
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKQOctober 2, 2016
This University is excellent at training students in their respective field. Patient, enthusiastic and outgoing Professors make learning desirable yet challenging.
The position was a great experience and fun work place.
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKOctober 2, 2016
The program was very fun and allowed students to bond and connect with one another. The activities the program coordinator's provided allowed for an awesome experience.
Amazing people and a great culture.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKSeptember 12, 2016
NSU is a great place to work with a phenomenal culture of respect and a feeling of family. If you do your job well, people will bend over backwards to help you with anything you need both inside and outside of the job. You will not find many more cohesive and comfortable work environments.
Pros
great people, great culture.
Cons
pay is less than stellar
Over worked underpaid
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 12, 2016
I was working from 9:00am-10:00pm with days of travel as well. I had school and housing paid for with a small stipend. Now I'm writing words to make the review go through.
Wonderful place to work
Account Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 12, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. Management was great, the benefits were great and so were the people. I did a lot different tasks at this job and learned several things. I learned collections here.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
location
loved it
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 5, 2016
great Place to work wish i could \have stayed working with a great group of people.I learned its not what you do its how you do it. There really wasn't a hard part about the job i loved it all the way around
Indigenous Scholar Development Center (ISDC)
Scholar Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJuly 28, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this program. I am both sad and disappointed that the five year grant program is coming to a close. My job as a scholar development coordinator was work I valued and I was fully committed to providing the best student support services to the American Indian students on campus. The people I worked with every day were amazing. I learned a lot from each of them. The amount of encouragement and support received from them is something I hope to attain in my future career endeavors. Despite the program not receiving support through the university, I still am thankful and appreciative for the opportunity to participate in the ISDC.
Benefits
Cons
Corporate hierarchy
Optometry Shop
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJuly 27, 2016
This position taught me allot about detail orientation and multitasking. I gained many valuable traits and experiences.
Northeastern State University offers excellent benefits and time off.
Payroll Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMay 20, 2016
Northeastern State University offers a large variety of benefits to its employees. There is range of health benefits to choose from. The time off that is offered is more than most employers in this area. The people that work there are very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Limited advancement possibilities
Great Work Experance
Work Study Business Affairs Office (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMarch 1, 2016
Working at the university was such a great experience and joy to work there. The staff is all very friendly and there to help out when ever you need it. Its always something new everyday.
Higher education setting with great co-workers
Coordinator for Greek Life (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJanuary 12, 2016
At least one meeting, counseling with students. Learned the true meaning of political correctness. Worked with wonderful people. Hardest part of the job was late nights with an hour drive home. Loved every aspect of the job!
Pros
Working with college age students
Cons
The work was an hour and fifteen minutes away. Takes its toll.
Great Experience
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKAugust 22, 2015
I was a student while I worked here. I had a great experience the whole time I was here. My supervisors gave me a lot of opportunity to spearhead my own projects and develop my skills. I felt like a colleague more than a student worker.

This employer allowed me to use the concepts I learned in class and apply them to the workplace, which really brought my education to life.
Pros
Flexible work hours, adequate pay for education, lots of leadership development opportunities, laid-back work environment, collaborative work
Cons
Student worker jobs end when you graduate, university policies are weird at times, cap on work hours per week
Great place to learn and grow
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKAugust 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for Northeastern State. I felt I had a great opportunity to learn from a variety of people from all walks of life. The Activity Board gave me a great chance to work on a variety of subjects I normally would not have worked on. The office was always busy, but always buzzing with positive energy.
Pros
Friendly office, great peers, free drinks
Great College Atmosphere!
General Office Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow OklahomaJune 17, 2015
Enrollment of current and prospective students
Scheduled appointments to meeting with advisors
Answered and routed phone calls
Made copies
Fulfilled records requests
Pros
Fun place to work, nice co workers
Cons
Not much opportunities for advancement
The Best Education
Student (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKFebruary 24, 2015
At Northeastern State University I received the best education one could get. Granted, I took away more, and added more, than most students, but I am a person who loves to learn, and study beyond the required curriculum. My professions were, and are outstanding; top notch thinkers and educators. I would not trade my time and education at NSU for any object or place.
The campus was small and intimate allowing the student a personal relationship with the professors. Also the university was nestled in a rural part of Oklahoma, where one could focus on their studies without the distraction of a busy environment. A great school with fine educators engaging the students to learn and be all they can be.

Thank you NSU for encouraging and challenging me to rise above the dogma of this world with a new mind that allows me to see the world in a more realistic and in depth way.
Pros
All great things to say about this university
Cons
No negative memories.
Supportive Environment, good colleagues
Instructor in the grad/undergrad college (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKFebruary 16, 2015
A supportive environment with great colleagues, excellent facilities, good benefits, up to date technology and good IT support.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Uncertain, unpredictable employment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northeastern State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4