Northern Arizona Healthcare

Northern Arizona Healthcare Employee Reviews

amazing team
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 15, 2017
worth the years spent here would still work here if I didn't have to move for personal reasons, nursing resources is the best job i have had any where
Challenging and rewarding
DNV-GL Survey Quality Representative (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZMarch 11, 2017
An ever changing work environment that challenges you to be the best that you can be. Many changes are being made that are moving towards a standardized system.
Awesome Progressive Health Care System
Healthcare Professional (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZFebruary 23, 2017
NAH is a great company to work and grow with. Advanced technology and diligent care of the people in our community. Excellent benefits; medical, dental, vision - 401k, tuition reimbursement.

And a beautiful place to live especially for those who have the love of the outdoors. I love to hike and camp, and this region of the state of Arizona ranks as my favorite place to explore.
Pros
Great benefits!
An amazing place to work with great doctors and a hard working staff
Medical Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZFebruary 9, 2017
I would have never left this company but had to relocate to further my daughters education and move her close to a Deaf school. I was able to work close with each doctor, Echo technician, and office staff.
Nice area to work at.
Lead radiation therapist (Current Employee) –  Sedona, AZDecember 12, 2016
Great people to work with, but with poor management. The hardest part of the day is when the manager tries to interfere with our jobs. The most enjoyable is the people I work with and the patients.
Pros
Free food every now and then
Cons
Too much micro-management
NAH is a great Organization to work for
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZJuly 19, 2016
NAH is a great Organization to work for. Everyone is very knowledgeable patient care orientated and focuses on overall quality of care.
Failed Leadership
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  FMCMarch 9, 2016
The new senior management team is wiping departments left and right. It used to be an amazing place to work when the focus was on patients and families. Now it has shifted to cheap and low quality. Make sure you verify that the future of your department is secure prior to accepting a position at NAH.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Inconsistent leadership
Growth in out patient infusion services for the community.
Charge RN / Sycamore Infusion Unit (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZJanuary 18, 2016
Enjoyed being part of the expansion of out patient infusion services for the Verde Valley Medical Center as a charge and staff RN. Education was a large part of this growth and new opportunities to learn were always readily available. We would have appreciated keeping one clerical staff member to support the nursing staff. This important job was not considered necessary and placed an added workload on the RN staff. This was at times extremely challenging. This problem brought nursing management and the infusion staff together to find new and innovative ideas to remedy the situation. One solution was to incorporate other out patient services such as the scheduling department to assist in reducing the RN clerical work load and creating a "Relief RN" position. The ability to find solutions to problems was the strength of the RN Clinical Manager. Overall, I really enjoyed my work in the infusion unit, and in particular, being able to be a part of the nursing staff creating a safe and healthy work environment for the people in the community requiring our services.
A good place to work for Northern Arizona Healthcare
Billing Specialist, Medicare Team (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Northern Arizona Healthcare contracted with Conifer Health Solutions - tenet corporation for most patient services,including patient admissions, medical records and revenue control. I reviewed and released Medicare claims for in-patient and out-patient services.
Challenging with awesome colleagues
Office Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZSeptember 8, 2015
Very professional, friendly work environment. Good benefits. They care about their patients and employees. So many opportunities to advance or even lateral moves for learning other departments.

Want to know more about Northern Arizona Healthcare?

Ask a question
A conmpany in transition
payer Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Revenue CycleJuly 13, 2015
During the last 18 months there has been a complete change at the executive level and NAH is trying to create a better working environment for employees thrugh these changes.
Good overall place to work.
Stores Tech in Supply Chain Management Department (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 6, 2015
Job included picking hospital supply's from list in the warehouse and then delivering to various units in the hospital. Work loads could vary because you never know how busy a hospital will be. Also moved gas containers around hospital.
Pros
Able to work four, ten hours shift was nice.
Cons
Can be very physical moving 800-1000 pound carts full of products around the hospital.
Pharmacy (Flagstaff Inpatient) - DO NOT WORK HERE
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff Medical Center (FMC)April 4, 2015
Despite the pay being competitive, the (FMC) pharmacy management doesn't believe in leadership, condones verbal abuse by ignoring all employee complaints, ignores that it is even an issue to begin with, doesn't believe that employee engagement is a real concept, and is only worried about how the pharmacy looks, not caring if it is functional.

Over the years, this caused the culture in the pharmacy to spiral into a poisonous, gossip-ridden workplace.

Worse though, is managements disregard for ethics, standards, or state regulations. Lately we were told to compounded TPNs in an IV hood that wasn't functioning, and despite state law there is no sterile compounding training manual or standards and no pharmacist oversight during the training process. We have no idea what the techs have been trained or if they were even trained correctly.

90% of the techs have a terrible attitude and are on the verge of quitting, and most of the pharmacists do everything they can to keep their sanity by ignoring the techs as much as they can.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. Apply for the position and during the interview simply ask "What is employee engagement, and why does it matter?".
Pros
Pay is somewhat competitive
Cons
Bad culture and training
No balance between work and family.
Ambulatory (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 17, 2015
No balance between work and family. Good benefits, good workers, management changes all the time. Co-workers are hard working and fun to be around. Work involves putting out fires mainly.
Just because it is one of the larger Flagstaff companies to work for doesn't make it the best
Field Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZSeptember 5, 2014
Ok place to work but not exceptional. Might be better if working in a clinical environment rather than a support department.
good workplace with educational opportunities
Department secretary in Radiology/Audiology (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 30, 2014
Monday through Friday work days. Had extensive opportunity to excel in computer skill set. Wonderful benefits. I participated in fundraising events with the Childrens Health Center. I coordinated employee events such as yearly dinner dances and fall festivals for employees and their families creating stronger ties within the company. Co-workers were encouraged to communicated effectively and this was a wonderful effort on the part of the management team.
Pros
creating a good working atmosphere within the department family
Cons
cannot think of anything at this time
The environment is hostile for employees
pateint services (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff AZJune 12, 2013
The management philosophy is not supportive of the employees. The motto is Patients are our Purpose; however the real motto should say: Money is our purpose at the expense of our employees.
Pros
free lunch if you walk or bike to work
Cons
see comment below
Would be a great place to work, but...
Plant operator (Former Employee) –  Plant operationsMay 2, 2013
Working at FMC for several years, I found myself constantly thinking this would be a great place to work if it wasn't for the people you work with. Many, many people are employed there because of who they know, not their abilities and experience. These same people are allowed to screw up over and over, or just plain have a very bad attitude because of who they know in town. It is quantity over quality. How long have you been in town? How more elementary can you get then that? Also for what the hospital charges for services you would think they would pay their employees better considering the high cost of living on Flagstaff. They do pay their many directors (friends of friends) a good wage and the doctors are well paid - you can be sure of that. However the people that actually get work done are left to just barely get by.
Pros
Nice structure, facilities
Cons
Way too many Chiefs, not enough Indians
Beware the spectre of the lone MA who started with the practice.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 29, 2013
The physicians of HVCNA are top-notch and willing to educate their MAs, recognizing a more educated assistant is an asset to the practice overall. However, beware the spirit of the lone MA who started with the practice and has since left. When I was hired as a new MA graduate my training was not equal to that received by a similarly-hired coworker; I felt at a constant disadvantage despite repeated requests/opportunities sought to bring myself "up to speed." This specialist practice is data-driven, you must be at the "top of your game" every day to be successful.

Changes in daily management before I left the practice held the promise of positive changes amongst staffing practices and in creating a more unified atmosphere between clinical and administrative staff. The hardest part of the job was the feeling of opposing camps amongst staff - supervisors verses junior staff, clinical verses administrative, and further division amongst clinical staff.
Pros
excellent benefits package as an employee of nah
Cons
inadequate training provided by direct supervisor
Not for professional development...
RRT (Former Employee) –  CottonwoodJanuary 18, 2013
I had always dreamed of returning to my home town to work in VVMC with the desire to make a difference, and I could not have been any more misguided.
I left a beautiful east coast location to return home after receiving a job offer that was at best, a professional failure. During the interview, I walked around the facility and meet some of the staff where my reception was at best bitter sweet. My first week of orientation was nothing but a demeaning experience of being advised that I need to surrender my previous 3 years of critical care experience and learn "a new way of respiratory care". At this time is I realized what it truely meant to work for a facility that is not JCOH.
The co-therapist all have been there for a great number of years and refuse to allow more modern practices to be spoke of, (I.E using BAN nebs vs. inhalers for status asthmaticus patients). All therapist pick there own work assignment and heaven forbid if you attempt to assist with their work load with out their permission.
The department lead is poker faced and assumes no corrective action role. all rumors are assumed true and there for is quick to assign disciplinary action based on biased opinions.
The department as a whole received my presence as one would welcome a new onset of herpes. I was not permitted to express any opinions nor challenge my skills without any persons being offended. The department utilizes 2 sets of policies and procedures, one for the clinical and the other for sleep lab. these P&P's are interchangable and unchallengable and are able to be "tweeked" to the supervisors liking
  more... at any given time.
The department head is an RN whom has no previous respiratory experience nor does he exude any sense of ownership over the management of the department. The department medical director is a physician whom has been at VVMC for a very long time and though he does a decent job of accepting input from the therapist, he allows inexperienced "doctors" to manage the vents. Hyperoxygenation and nitrogen washout is very common practice with in the ICU and the preceding questions of "why?" are usually abundant after the extubation.
After my short period of time within my hometown hospital, I am sad to say that not only do I not desire to affiliate with them, but I would much rather die as opposed to let any person within VVMC attend to my medical needs.
Pros
none at this time.
Cons
far to many to list.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Arizona Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7