Northern Arizona Healthcare

Northern Arizona Healthcare Employer Reviews

Innovative small healthcare system
System Director, IT Regulatory Programs (Current Employee), Flagstaff, AZNovember 19, 2014
I've worked at NAH for 24 years, and during that time held a number of different positions. As an employer NAH has been more than fair to me, offering great benefits and advancement opportunities.
Just because it is one of the larger Flagstaff companies to work for doesn't make it the best
Field Services Technician (Current Employee), Flagstaff, AZSeptember 5, 2014
Ok place to work but not exceptional. Might be better if working in a clinical environment rather than a support department.
The environment is hostile for employees
pateint services (Former Employee), Flagstaff AZJune 12, 2013
Pros: free lunch if you walk or bike to work
Cons: see comment below
The management philosophy is not supportive of the employees. The motto is Patients are our Purpose; however the real motto should say: Money is our purpose at the expense of our employees.
bad management
transporter (Former Employee), cottonwood AZMay 14, 2013
Cons: management, lead transporters and poor job discription.
I was an EMT transporter for VVMC. During the time i was there my boss made us run the cafe, stock shelves, and treated us like Poorly. Almost never do you get to perform EMT skills. If you are thinking of applying don't do it find somewhere else.
Would be a great place to work, but...
Plant operator (Former Employee), Plant operationsMay 2, 2013
Pros: nice structure, facilities
Cons: way too many chiefs, not enough indians
Working at FMC for several years, I found myself constantly thinking this would be a great place to work if it wasn't for the people you work with. Many, many people are employed there because of who they know, not their abilities and experience. These same people are allowed to screw up over and over, or just plain have a very bad attitude because – more... of who they know in town. It is quantity over quality. How long have you been in town? How more elementary can you get then that? Also for what the hospital charges for services you would think they would pay their employees better considering the high cost of living on Flagstaff. They do pay their many directors (friends of friends) a good wage and the doctors are well paid - you can be sure of that. However the people that actually get work done are left to just barely get by. – less
Beware the spectre of the lone MA who started with the practice.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZMarch 29, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits package as an employee of nah
Cons: inadequate training provided by direct supervisor
The physicians of HVCNA are top-notch and willing to educate their MAs, recognizing a more educated assistant is an asset to the practice overall. However, beware the spirit of the lone MA who started with the practice and has since left. When I was hired as a new MA graduate my training was not equal to that received by a similarly-hired coworker; – more... I felt at a constant disadvantage despite repeated requests/opportunities sought to bring myself "up to speed." This specialist practice is data-driven, you must be at the "top of your game" every day to be successful.

Changes in daily management before I left the practice held the promise of positive changes amongst staffing practices and in creating a more unified atmosphere between clinical and administrative staff. The hardest part of the job was the feeling of opposing camps amongst staff - supervisors verses junior staff, clinical verses administrative, and further division amongst clinical staff. – less
Not for professional development...
RRT (Former Employee), CottonwoodJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: none at this time.
Cons: far to many to list.
I had always dreamed of returning to my home town to work in VVMC with the desire to make a difference, and I could not have been any more misguided.
I left a beautiful east coast location to return home after receiving a job offer that was at best, a professional failure. During the interview, I walked around the facility and meet some of the staff – more... where my reception was at best bitter sweet. My first week of orientation was nothing but a demeaning experience of being advised that I need to surrender my previous 3 years of critical care experience and learn "a new way of respiratory care". At this time is I realized what it truely meant to work for a facility that is not JCOH.
The co-therapist all have been there for a great number of years and refuse to allow more modern practices to be spoke of, (I.E using BAN nebs vs. inhalers for status asthmaticus patients). All therapist pick there own work assignment and heaven forbid if you attempt to assist with their work load with out their permission.
The department lead is poker faced and assumes no corrective action role. all rumors are assumed true and there for is quick to assign disciplinary action based on biased opinions.
The department as a whole received my presence as one would welcome a new onset of herpes. I was not permitted to express any opinions nor challenge my skills without any persons being offended. The department utilizes 2 sets of policies and procedures, one for the clinical and the other for sleep lab. these P&P's are interchangable and unchallengable and are able to be "tweeked" to the supervisors liking at any given time.
The department head is an RN whom has no previous respiratory experience nor does he exude any sense of ownership over the management of the department. The department medical director is a physician whom has been at VVMC for a very long time and though he does a decent job of accepting input from the therapist, he allows inexperienced "doctors" to manage the vents. Hyperoxygenation and nitrogen washout is very common practice with in the ICU and the preceding questions of "why?" are usually abundant after the extubation.
After my short period of time within my hometown hospital, I am sad to say that not only do I not desire to affiliate with them, but I would much rather die as opposed to let any person within VVMC attend to my medical needs. – less

January 30, 2013

If you are intelligent - avoid! If you are well educated - avoid! If you are skilled - avoid! If you are friends with the manager and/or otherwise politically connected, well, then, of course it doesn't matter because all you need to succeed here is a pulse and a social security number. Cliques rule - true competence threatens the management here. If they find out that you are competent and well qualified - they will run you out the door as fast as they can. SO if you find yourself onboarded here, better dumb yourself down and fast!

Going through major administration changes
Dosimetrist (Current Employee), Flagstaff, AZOctober 22, 2012
Cons: no job security, dictatorship for managment
This used to be the best place I could ever think of working for, in the last 4 months, however, administration has fired multiple managers, and amazing co-workers. I still love what I do, but I no longer feel the pride I used to regarding Northern Arizona Healthcare.
Great Place TO Work ...
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AzOctober 13, 2012
Enjoyed workin there for many years. Great culture of people!! The only negative would be that the pay does not meet how muh the cost of living is ...
I could not mark more minuses.....
Med Tech (Former Employee), Cottonwood, AzAugust 14, 2012
Cons: all
They treat their workers very bad and have no respect for hard work. The HR have no clue about anything and they do not care about anybody.

December 21, 2012

They have to take a hard stand and get rid of terrible managers/directors. As long as they allow the top line to be awful to their employees, they will never have a positive work environment. HR needs to take a hard look at their people and let some of them move on.

Busy, fast paced, accomplishment, team player, assisted diff depts. Healthcare field)
Senior Billing Associate (Former Employee), United StatesAugust 10, 2012
Pros: employees recvd cafeteria discounts on meals.
Cons: very rewarding and a new adventure in the healthcare world.
Daily input researching medical benefits, such as proper cov, medicaid, medicare, blue cross, etc. Making sure the proper coding was applied. In and out surgery process. Co-workers as well as mgmt team willing to go the extra mile to make sure that I received the proper training. The most enjoyable was that you always felt like you were giving back – more... to make sure that the patient always received the best of medical needs and resources. – less
Excellent work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZJune 7, 2012
My time with Northern Arizona Healthcare was very beneficial. I am glad to have been able to work with this organization while in school and I learned a tremendous amount through my experiences there.

Northern Arizona Healthcare Photos