Northern Arizona University Employee Reviews

Stagnant positions and bad management
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 20, 2017
While my current manager is great, the university's leadership has little understanding of that word. There is a culture of favoritism and advancement for only those that know someone higher. Raises and bonuses are prominent to those at the top, while our employees are paid 14% below the market rate. I would not recommend anyone I know to work here.
Pros
Good educational assistance and health insurance
Cons
Low pay, bad management
I was a TA
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 14, 2017
I TAed for a Calculus class and it was just about as boring as you can imagine. I was able to pick up some good communication tools when tutoring kids after class.
I love working for NAU
Clinical and on-line adjunct faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2017
I love being an adjunct faculty for NAU's school of nursing. The full-time instructors and support staff our wonderful. I love working with the students and helping them reach their full potential
Pros
The nursing program
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Interactive position
Eco Representative (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 10, 2017
The best part is being on campus and interacting with students. It creates a fun and social work environment. WOrst part was being very self driven to complete weekly and monthly tasks.
Good place for a student working
Document Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 9, 2017
Working here as a student worker is amazing. My manager was very understanding of my school schedule an allowed me to take time off as needed to study.
Rewarding but stressful
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 5, 2017
Everything is great except pay throughout the year. Meal plan and housing are provided but being paid a stipend to live off of is rough and difficult. NAU minimum wage should and needs to be the state minimum wage, but it's not.
Pros
Housing and meal plan provided
Cons
little pay throughout the year
Beijing Restaurant a Great Company
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 5, 2017
Beijing Restaurant is a very promising food establishment that has all kinds of scrumptious foods. The place is really clean; also, the employees are really polite and answer customers' questions quickly.
Pros
free lunch, granduer cooking, etc.
Cons
roof, etc.
Fun and exciting workplace, love the managers and my colleagues
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 1, 2017
I'd say over all one of the funniest and exciting places to work. If you looking to make some money while your going to school they will really work with your schedule. Your a student before your a worker.
Pros
Lots of shifts available, Start to end time is reasonable
Cons
No Healthcare, Hourly pay is lower than most
Fun student run work place
ASNAU Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 31, 2017
I was hired by the student government on campus. It was run by students and I worked with people I enjoyed being around. It was difficult at times to work with peers but overall a good experience.
Student in NAU
Member of the Dean's List Honoree (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 27, 2017
Everything was great, this school is growing exponentially, and it shows in the opportunities it gives to its students. This school gives opportunities for students to develop in a professional setting and prepares them for real life obstacles.
Great atmosphere with students and faculty.
Administrative Assistant/Inventory Liaison (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 27, 2017
I was responsible for a multitude of task. Responsible for student workers, office machines, student files, phones, and emails. Working closely with other departments in the university.
Inputting information: Outlook calendars, People Soft system, Enterprise Reporting.
Assisting Graduate Coordinator with student paperwork and meetings.
Inventory Liaison.
Coordinating events for faculty meetings and student events.
Hardest part of the job was driving to work in the snow.
The most enjoyable part was communicating with faculty and students.
Pros
Working with a variety of Anthropology Professors.
Cons
Snow
it was work for the school
Designer (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 25, 2017
I worked for the school designing a system. It was definitely fun and provided plenty of experience and learning opportunities. i would do the job again.
Gran experiencia trabajando en ambiente internacional.
Asistente de Investigación (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, Estados Unidos.May 19, 2017
Valoración muy positiva.
Departamento compuesto por personas de distintas nacionalidades, siendo tan solo la mitad de Estados Unidos.
Gran ambiente laboral en el que tienes libertad para gestionar el avance de tu proyecto.
Perfecto complemento para un intercambio, al ser un departamento de la propia Universidad.
Gran oportunidad para perfeccionar el idioma.
Pros
Ambiente internacional.
Cons
Difícil acceso a una beca.
Residence Life is decent to work for if you're an undergraduate student
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 17, 2017
Overall, my time working for Residence life at NAU was rewarding. However, some of the expectations that ResLife promotes is downright silly and uncalled for. Limited room for critical analysis because their expectations called for a cookie cutter route.
great job
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 16, 2017
I had a lot of fun with NAU in the many years I worked with the students, staff, and professors. I had some freedom to change up a few things. I got to work with some amazing people. I learned a lot.
Pros
fun great good
Cons
worked a lot
Great place. Learned a lot from faculty
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 11, 2017
As a graduate student, I was tasked with overseeing multiple chemistry labs over the course of my graduate program. I was able to learn about instrumentation in detail. I worked along side other graduate students in research focused on chemistry.
Pros
Stippend
Graduate Assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of MusicMay 7, 2017
Overall highly beneficial experience. Flexible Responsibilities require careful documentation, which can become a chore if regular upkeep is not maintained.
Good Experience but heavily unorganized.
Unions and Student Activities, Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 6, 2017
In my opinion, the University could not function without the Student Workers yet Student Workers were/are paid below minimum wage and are treated as less than full-time staff.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Cons
No benefits other than flexible scheduling.
Reviewing programs on each computer- Internship
Supervisor- Timothy Cochran (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 2, 2017
Going into a cubical work environment, acting professional as well as dressing. Testing IT work programs such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Flash, and others.
Pros
Quiet and Easy
NAU is a great place to work
Campus Web Manager (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 26, 2017
Great environment, nice people. Challenging goals. The location is the best in Arizona. Flagstaff is a small, tourist driven town at altitude. NAU has a great vibe.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Arizona University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4