Northern Arizona University Employee Reviews in United States

Job was exactly what I needed
Telephone Operator/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 26, 2016
I worked here as a student and they treated me well and were very flexible with my school schedule. I had a awesome boss in telecom.
Professional environment in the Machine Shop
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at the Machine shop because everyday was different and you had to think on your feet. The other shop managers are students in the engineering department so it is an excellent way to network with other colleges in your area of study.
Pros
Flexible work hours and hands on experience
Cons
Many hours of training
Flexible work schedule with rewarding results
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 20, 2016
There were only a total of four of us working, one professor (P.E., Ph.D.), one graduate research assistant, and two undergraduate research assistant. We would meet roughly once per week to discuss action items for the coming weeks. I learned a lot about traffic data collection directly from the ASC/3 traffic controllers and how to work the given data in various items of need and compile that data into an easily readable excel file. My boss was great and always available for questions and answers when needed and the same goes for my coworkers. Although we had different tasks, we could still bounce ideas off each other and help work through our problems. The hardest part of the job was compile 15 minute bins of a weeks worth of data and funneling it down into different time slots for different days of the week. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out in the field to collect the data and visually be able to see how the controllers work at an intersection.
Pros
Great learning experience, good pay, and occasionally free lunches
Cons
Repetitive work and long hours for one task
Working there was a plus
Grounds Team Member (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 8, 2016
Working at NAU was nice because the hours were very flexible. A typical day involved pulling weeds, taking to trash, adding to compost piles, and cleaning bathrooms.
Good teacher ed program
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZMay 8, 2016
Opportunity to really make a difference with second language students; program is really making a difference in the community; valuable connection between community college and university.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, ArizonaApril 24, 2016
The position that I have allows me the opportunity to learn everyday from the instrumental lab that I have access to and from the students I help teach. Management are always available to teach me anything that I might be interested in and everything that is relevant to the class I help teach. Really I am one of the lucky ones (TA's) that not only have such a great learning opportunity in what I help teach, but the students that I have are also top notch and provide perspectives in their questions that allow all of us to learn together.
Pros
A true learning environment
Cons
Not enough time in the day to learn everything I would like to
Only as good as it needs to be
Support Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZ 86011April 18, 2016
The culture at NAU that of check-collectors, any effort to improve the situation there that requires any effort is completely shut down. The University is more concerned with admitting as many students as possible (96% acceptance rate) without regard to how the infrastructure of the university (and the city of Flagstaff) can handle them; it is choking the local job and housing/rental market and slowly strangling the city just so the administration can line their pockets. The director-level employees have turned this university into the largest and most expensive community college in Arizona.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No room for advancement or improvement
Productive and great learning environment
Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 13, 2016
A typical day at ROTC is very busy, but community oriented driven. We learn skills and attributes about how to be the best leaders and how to create working relationships with other people. Every one of my peers is friendly and we are all a cohesive unit. The hardest part of the job is balancing work and school. The most enjoyable part is getting to see and mingle with peers after work. We also have great relationships with each other. ROTC gives us a chance to learn about the military and also about the real world and it's environment.
Laid Back Work Experience
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 24, 2016
As a student, working very close to school is a plus. I log my own hours, and I work when I ma available. Very convenient to me. I learn something at work everyday as a Peer Tutor, how students learn, what kind of environment they learn best in and overall just getting to know that student personally. I tutor Science so sometimes the students get frustrated so many times have we had to step back and review and review, that would have to be the hardest part of my job, because the students are so dependent on me-- putting lots of stress on themselves making me eager to get them to learn to complexity of science. Overall I love my job!
Pros
Self Enduring, Passionate Students, Relaxing
Cons
Few Hours, Short Days
Great Culture
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 23, 2016
Northern Arizona is overall a great place to work with a good culture and and a great work life balance. However, the opportunities for advancement are limited and the pay is not competitive. There is the additional complications of cuts in budgets that lead to loss of necessary resources including personnel.
Pros
Culture and work life balance
Cons
Budget cuts
Nice people. Nice town. Little Pay
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 22, 2016
NAU is a nice university and there are nice people that work there, but the pay is lacking. Flagstaff is an expensive city to live in and the compensation doesn't meet the cost of living standard.
Pros
Outdoors are beautiful
Cons
Poor Pay
enjoyed working with both students and faculty
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZ 86011March 9, 2016
this was a totally exciting working environment. every day something was new. The faculty enjoyed the fact that I was an older student and gave me additional responsibilities accordingly.
Pros
comfortable working environment
Cons
all good things had to end and after graduation i went back to california
I regret it
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 2, 2016
As a student this job to much of my time. They try and make you think that your life should revolve around the job but they forget you are a student first.
Great Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 25, 2016
Hardest part of the job is putting your services out there for participant use and the art of persuasion. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the strategies are endless and flexible, I enjoy greeting co-workers and faculty.
Pros
Campus Environment and new building with new equipment
Cons
Parking
Amazing faculty
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 15, 2016
I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing faculty during my time at NAU. They care about the students at their school and go above and beyond to help them succeed.
Enjoyed attending school at NAU
Student (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 10, 2016
I only attended school and NAU; I did not work at this facility.
I have no experiences to write about. This is not applicable to me.
Educational Experience
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZFebruary 8, 2016
I was able to work at NAU while I was completing my degree in education. The staff members were all helpful and supportive.
Good university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 23, 2016
I like it here, and I'm glad I got a research position. It is a good university with a good student culture. The research position stimulated my curiosity
Enjoyable and expanding
University Sign Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 21, 2016
Northern Arizona University continues to expand at very high rates. Things are changing constantly and there is no shortage of task to complete. It is starting to get a little crowded, but I guess that is a necessary change. Typical working environment. 8 hour days. Leave at the end of the day and leave the work there. Small community feel with active residents. Management is what you would expect from a state funded institution. Works from the bottom up without a lot of communication in between.
Pros
community feel, good life/work balance
Cons
crowded
Great University
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 17, 2016
Great opportunities for graduate students to excel. The labs are fun to teach and the students are great. I would recommend this university to other graduate students.

4.4