Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employer Reviews

the most enjoyable part of the job
Graduate Teaching Assistant in Anthropology (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 10, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: poor communication
Great atmosphere! Loved my co-workers! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Salary was decent for the job. There were not any benefits for my position, and the health insurance was not the greatest.
NIU Dysfunction
Full-time (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 7, 2014
This place is falling apart at the seams. People are being fired daily, many times secretly. NOT a good culture!!
Great benefits
Building Service Worker (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work hours and areas
NIU has absolutely great benefits for insurance and retirement. The hardest part of the position was working in an area or hours that you are not comfortable with and having no opions to change that.
Stable work environment
Payroll Specialist III (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 23, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: lack of advancement opportunity
Pockets of greatness. Some managers were difficult but no place is perfect. Overall, a good place to get your career started.
School Spirit, Fun job to have
Work Study Program (Former Employee), dekalb ilApril 17, 2014
Pros: enjoyable
Cons: not paid well
I enjoyed it because we sold tickets to the football games and then were able to attend.
best place to work as Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Dekalb,ILApril 14, 2014
It's best in everything.Best place to work as Graduate Assistant,Best boss I ever worked under till date.
A great place to research
Research Intern (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 14, 2014
Researched new methods and treatments in the scope of Speech Language Pathology. Worked with great clientele as well as professors.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), DekalbApril 8, 2014
Research work and achieved new things that hasn't been implemented in real world.
Fun, but frustrating time in food service
Student Supervisor (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 4, 2014
Pros: free meals, flexible hours, working with friends
Cons: poor management
A typical day at work depends on what position you work. A cook's assistant will cook pans of scrambled eggs and pancakes in the morning, but may only make a few backups of fresh veggies for dinner. I learned a great deal about management, diplomacy, and customer service, skills which can apply to a variety of careers. Management was quite weak, as – more... some managers may be strict and others very lazy. Both kinds are prone to picking favorites, which is both encouraging and frustrating. I enjoy speaking with my co-workers. As we are all students and peers, we can relate and work well together. The hardest problem would be dealing with unsympathetic managers. The most enjoyable is working with friends. – less
Good company
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 18, 2014
This was a good company to work for. I helped students with their work.
Great place to work with great perks
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 14, 2014
The hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day. But the best part of my job is interacting with the students. It has been challenging working with various types of personalities, but with me being a very friendly and down to earth person, I get along with most people. I've learned that I don't have to take my co-workers home with me, so I – more... grin and bare it, and do my job. – less
Great University where I learned a lot
Division 1 Football Athlete & Team Captain (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2014
A lot of work is required in the Business school but overall it was all worth it. I learned a lot and I am ready for my career to start wherever it may be.
Good University
graduate teaching assistant (Current Employee), dekalb, IlFebruary 22, 2014
The school is great for students. I can truly say that I can recommend any student to come here. It can be a wake up call for some and just a brilliant experience for all. The school is so diverse that there is something there for everyone and their own personal needs and wants.
Excellent Institution and Place of Employment
Lecturer (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: the university community
Cons: n/a
A typical day is employee community oriented; I have learned that personable professionalism can make all the difference between happiness and dissatisfaction. With the proactive help of university administrators, I learned classroom management, and given the freedom to motivate and encourage students in a way that meets each graduate and doctorate – more... students learning style. My co-workers are the best, friendly and encouraging, which is the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Great institution to work and study.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 17, 2014
Family oriented, employee friendly and an overall great institution to work and study.
Great place to meet people
University Community Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: live-in environment, as such there isn't much personal time
Working as a community advisor will expose you to a lot of people and cultures.
best place to work
Resident Hall Staff Supervisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 7, 2014
had this job the longest i had to stop working here because i was not a student any more i loved this job
Fun atmosphere, fast paced, interesting
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: hour lunch, flexible, fun atmosphere
Manually enter documents and applications using Oracle, Citrix, and Interface by utilizing typing accuracy and speed.
Open and sort mail as well as file finished documents for later use.
Perform receptionist duties when needed.
Fun and Educational Work Enviroment
Visual Communication Lab Assistent (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: learned printing skills
I was able to both learn and doing projects with tons of input from other design students and instructors.
Excellent College of Business
Student & Bartender (Former Employee), DeKalb, IL / Rockford, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Some of the finest educators in the Midwest and the Nation! The College of Business provides state of the art technology and learning environment. Alumni network provides additional opportunities to learn and superb support post-graduation.

1 2 3 4 5