Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University United States Employee Reviews

Good
GRADUATE ASISTANT (Current Employee), Dekalb, ILMarch 31, 2015
Good! Great people to work with! They are very friendly, helpful, and very understanding! They work around your school schedule.
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2015
I would recommend my friends to study at NIU. The education standards are high and you get a good exposure here.
Management is superb and always ready to help you.Work environment is friendly and cool.
Productive environment
Student Assistant Athletic Media Relations (Former Employee), DeKalb ILMarch 26, 2015
They gave me a great opportunity to work in the field before ever going out into the industry. Yet not much help in career advice once the job ended.
Learning Experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Engineering BuildingMarch 23, 2015
I enjoy the work.I improved my communication skills.Even my confidence level went up high.I can address a group of people confidently.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Management Department (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 21, 2015
As said great culture and environment of work to learn new things and make people realize about your talent as well. Would graduate from NIU with lots of memories and knowledge.
Good school with diversity and many job opportunities
Traditional Server (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2015
Pros: lots of resources available to student employees
Cons: big school
-Worked in a residence hall serving students traditional food in a fast paced environment that allowed me to make time for my coursework.
Director of Health Services (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2015
Health Services is a good place to work. The providers and staff are committed to quality care for the university students.
You'll be stuck
Assistant (Current Employee), DekalbMarch 12, 2015
There isn't much room to advance within the University. Most fresh ideas are looked down upon as there is a set way of doing things that many do not want to stray from.

about the only pros is the insurance benefits and the ability to be really flexible with your schedule.
very good lie/work balance
Statistician and SAS Programmer (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2015
NIU is nice place to work and have chance to get free further education. The only bothering me is that winter commute is a big issue.
good job
Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 19, 2015
High‐performing, strategic‐thinking professional with more than six years' experience in
employment services in the non‐profit and higher education sectors. Highly skilled at relationshipbuilding
with clients and across organizations and teams; exceptional writing, presenting, and
interpersonal communication skills.
Residential Life
Graduate Residence Hall Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 18, 2015
The Residential Life department has a very strong leadership team. The school is very embracing when it comes to diversity and has meany resources on campus for students of color. There are many opportunities for advancement and professional development.
basic work study job
Student Employee (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
• Demonstrated customer service skills by providing problem solving and communication
• Served food to customers while making sure customers were satisfied
• Organized kitchen equipment and food according to that days menu
Nice and relaxed environment to engage with students
Teacher's assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: doing what i love.
Cons: very limited breaks between work and school.
A typical day being a Teacher's assistant involves devoting about 4 hours each weekday to undergraduate students, where I would do my best to convey knowledge and figure out how to solve students' struggles. The most important thing I have learned is to have a very open mindset. I learned rather quickly having an open mindset made It simpler to see why students were making the mistakes they were which made it easy to explain what they were doing incorrect. I am now prepared to have in-depth conversations with anyone due to having sight of their views on the subjects of discussion. I did not necessarily have a "hardest" part of my job. I was able to see positive in every situation I was dealt. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help students succeed when they were extremely doubtful they would ever be able to pass their math classes. Helping any student with anything possible always gave me such happiness since I was able to boost their self-esteem.
Good university work experience
Food Service Worker at NIU Housing & Dining (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: good coworkers, good managers, good customer experience
Cons: low pay, poor maintenance
It was a good job for a kid going through school. Good coworkers, management was also made mostly of students so they were easy to approach. Could be slow sometimes depending on the shift. Many different responsibilities.
Independence to a fault
Instructor (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: job duties
Cons: pay
This position is great. The students are great and the work is great. The management is not. Very limited direction is given to cover the scope of responsibility which you are held accountable for. The administrative layers do not make sense, and the pay is horrible. As a Master's Degree holder with significant experience, I would make more money working in a manual labor position not requiring a high school degree. But, I absolutely love what I do so I continue to do it.
Laid back environment with occasional financial constrains
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Overall, I enjoyed teaching at NIU. The students were great. We had to work with what we had. My final year there, NIU finally updated to a digital format in HD. My typical day started with setting up the studio cameras, lights, microphones, monitors, audio board, video board, and etc. I taught two classes per day in the lab. I instructed the students about all studio equipment before we went hands on. After a few days of instruction and practice, we began doing live-to-tape programs. I supervised students as they filmed their projects in studio, and troubleshooted when there were technical problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the students grow from beginners to intermediate video producers throughout the semester.
Productive work place with lot of career opportunities
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 7, 2015
I enjoy my day at work as I get to interact with lot of people from various places. My managing and communication skill has improved a lot. Feedback from my colleges have has provided me a base for my positive learning.
Project Management Assistant
Research Assistant, IL, US (Former Employee), Champaign, ILFebruary 6, 2015
• Assisted project managers on planning, defining deliverables, scheduling, and controlling their projects.
• Developed soft skills such as leadership, reporting, communicating, and presentation.
• Supervised the implementation, functioning, and training of MS Project Server, as well as, leading the project management office.
• Started my work with developing an inventory system. I learnt SQL, Access, and Excel.
Good manual labor and flexible schedule for being a student
Animal Caretaker/Lab assistant (Former Employee), Biology DepartmentFebruary 6, 2015
I drive up to the farm location, feed the chickens, collect eggs for both breeding and consumption, remove dead chickens from their cages and record their wing band number, and once a week clean the farm.

I learned how to think on my feet, and with that came learning how to repair equipment in new and more efficient ways.

The job overall was great. My direct supervisor was a very kind woman who was very understanding, but also was able to have everyone get things done efficiently and effectively. I enjoyed my job very much, except on days when I was stressed out from school and other events going on in my life.
A good place to work
Assistant Director, University Honors Program (Current Employee), Campus Life BuildingJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: time off for holidays
Cons: parking
Typical midsized, Midwestern public university. Up and coming football program. For faculty, not much less stress than an R-1 institution. Close enough to Chicago's cultural scene to be worthwhile. DeKalb is a good place to raise a family.

1 2 3 4 5