Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

NIU
Nursing (Former Employee), StudentAugust 3, 2015
I was a student at this institution for one year. Then I transferred to a closer college in Chicago. I had a great experience learning in a diverse culture.
GOOD UNIVERSITY
Tutor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Reasonable fee, good scholarships and moderate fee
Cons: NIL
The faculty is good. It is an excellent university with students from different countries. Had a great experience teaching students from diverse background.
Good teaching experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 8, 2015
I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant for the course Operations Research: Probabilistic Models. My role was to teach, clarify doubts and grade assignments and quizzes for a class of 25 students. It was fun.
Challenging and rewarding
IT Support Associate (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Cons: State of Illinois does not permit raises due to financial budget problems.
Job security
Flexible vacation and sick time
Opportunity to advance education
Limited opportunities to advance within
Great and fun place to work
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 8, 2015
A typical day at the desk consisted of directing students, visitors, and administrators to asked places. handling, sorting and delivering mail along with answering phones and emails. I learned how to adapt to customers needs and their moods. The management was very strict but bearable.
Atmosphere here has deteriorated considerably over the past two years
IR Office Manager (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 28, 2015
Pros: Tuition waiver which the stae is trying to take away
Cons: Unorganized, dijointed, uncommunicative, unethhical adminsitration with no people skills, no abiltiy to construct a cohesive plan and no real interest in the organization as a whle.
At this time, a typical day at work involves appeasing contradictory directives from incompetent people. I have learned to not care about anything or anyone except those in my immediate work area. The management that I work directly under is excellent. The overall management is disjointed, unethical, and unqualified for the work they are attempting to do. The hardest part of the job is facing the deterioration of quality and ethical practices that come to light every day. Enjoyable part? There is no joy here.
Great opportunity to gain experience
Tutor and Office Support Specialist (Former Employee), Founder's Memorial LibraryMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great team to work with, an opportunity to brush up on the basics of courses you have taken in the past
Cons: None
Typical Day: Arrive at the Tutoring Center in the camps library, start conducting database entry for payroll and checking in students to different tutors based on subject, and tutor anyone that came in for Spanish, English, or business help.

What I learned: Patience and building relationships with those you work with is key, especially the students who truly struggle with the course material

Management: Great supervisor team and upper management

Hardest Part of The Job: Having more than 4 students at one time for different classes during a tutoring session

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: When student;s raise their grades in the courses you helped them with or talk about a good grade they got on their homework, quizzes, or tests
Great Student Workplace and Learning Institution
Associate II (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 17, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, Proximity to classes, Fun people
Cons: Working during stressful times in school
A typical day at work involves helping guests and students with informational needs. It feels nice helping others especially when they express great gratitude.
Productive and easy going
Desk Clerk (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for both companies I was exposed to both fast and slow pace environments I believe I can succeed in both.
Great as Student
New Hall Residential Dining Student Manager (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, fun co-workers
Cons: Short breaks, very busy, late hours
Very fast paced. You learn more about student life, how to balance work with school, and are very well acquainted with school spirit! My co-workers were very easy to work with since they were all students, like myself. I learned to become more responsible with my time.
Great level of music artistry
University Jazz Band Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 9, 2015
Incredible envoirement for Artists. The Jazz program is on of the best in the country, lead by Mr Reggie Thomas.
Focused on team work and exellence in every field of music education
Productive, Team Oriented, Team Building, Flexible, Trustworthy
Fitness Staff (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 8, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, Good Superior, Youthful and Fun Environment
Cons: None
Most day were the same but the working staff some how made the day creative. Working here was all about team building, working together and backing each person up. Our supervisors were uplifting and helpful which was very pleasant to have such individuals in power to work with. There wasn't may hard parts of the job because I never worked alone. The job was also build off trust. I was entrusted with responsibilities that carried the good name of the company. I was even entrusted with responsibilities that were above my position. Every thing about the job was enjoyable.
Great benefits but it took a long time to move up the ladder and acquire decent pay.
Administrative Assistant and Office Manager (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, free tuition, nice environment
Cons: Work load can be exhausting at times
NIU is overall a really great place to work. Most everyone is friendly and helpful, no matter what it is you need. I like the fact that there are people from diverse backgrounds (all over the world, actually) who are fun to talk with and extraordinarily interesting. There is so much knowledge to gain from the variety of classes offered, as I earned my degree here as well while working full time. One of the great benefits is that if you're a full time employee, tuition is basically free. The only difficult part of my job is that sometimes, when the semester is in full swing, office life can be a bit stressful and tense. Other than that, NIU is a great place to work!
Overworked and underpaid....great colleagues and independence
Instructor, School of Theatre & Dance (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 17, 2015
Pros: People and Freedom
Cons: Pay, no advancement, Academics losing the battle to Administration
The changing structure of the university administration is pit against the academic side. Not atypical of any university, but it's a crumbling system. No room for advancement though I always felt secure in my job. My department is full of wonderful and talented people, both professors and students alike. However, when professor lines are cut and farmed out to adjuncts at a ridiculously cheap rate, education suffers and the system collapses in.

I teach around 400+ students a year and serve on 5 committees, direct/coach multiple shows a year, and work about 60-70 hours a week. My compensation after years of service is just now approaching the mid 30's.
Good
GRADUATE ASISTANT (Current Employee), Dekalb, ILMarch 31, 2015
Good! Great people to work with! They are very friendly, helpful, and very understanding! They work around your school schedule.
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2015
I would recommend my friends to study at NIU. The education standards are high and you get a good exposure here.
Management is superb and always ready to help you.Work environment is friendly and cool.
Productive environment
Student Assistant Athletic Media Relations (Former Employee), DeKalb ILMarch 26, 2015
They gave me a great opportunity to work in the field before ever going out into the industry. Yet not much help in career advice once the job ended.
Learning Experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Engineering BuildingMarch 23, 2015
I enjoy the work.I improved my communication skills.Even my confidence level went up high.I can address a group of people confidently.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Management Department (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 21, 2015
As said great culture and environment of work to learn new things and make people realize about your talent as well. Would graduate from NIU with lots of memories and knowledge.
Good school with diversity and many job opportunities
Traditional Server (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2015
Pros: lots of resources available to student employees
Cons: big school
-Worked in a residence hall serving students traditional food in a fast paced environment that allowed me to make time for my coursework.