Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employer Reviews

Team Member (Horrible)
Clerical Worker (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 21, 2014
Lets just say that was my very first job in highschool and it was the worst job I had thus far to date.
Fast paced, fun, flexible, and a knowledge attaining workplace
Server, expeditor, and busser (Former Employee), Dekalb, ILJuly 17, 2014
Pros: free lunches and building relationships
Cons: working in very hot areas
A typical day at work would consist of a variety of rolls in a dining hall. I would serve food to 500+ students and staff, conduct custodian work, communicate with and assist cooks, wash dishes, open and close workplace with other crew members, and assure excellent and friendly customer service to all individuals. I would assist any physically and/or – more... intellectually impaired individuals also assuring satisfaction with meals and seating.
Most days I dealt with student management who were exceptionally well-qualified and fun over-all. My managers and I were always professional, understanding, and content with each other and our work.
My coworkers varied, but there were no complaints. Most coworkers were hard working and friendly to the rest of the team and customers, exercising procedure.
The most difficult part of the job was working over-exceedingly fast due to a lack of crew during the winter season.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships with every day customers and always being able to satisfy customers with neat, professional, and friendly work and communication.
I learned to not only work with a variety of people, but deal with a variety of students. I learned to always keep smiling to keep others smiling and feeling better about any typical day. I learned to consider different personalities and deal with people accordingly, contrary to treating everyone the same. I learned to work a variety of roles simultaneously: a custodian, food server, assistant, and friend. – less
Good work environment
Technical Services (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 24, 2014
I love the department I work in, and it is an awesome job. NIU tends to pay students less than should be required by the work they do.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Graduate Teaching Assistant in Anthropology (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 10, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: poor communication
Great atmosphere! Loved my co-workers! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Salary was decent for the job. There were not any benefits for my position, and the health insurance was not the greatest.
NIU Dysfunction
Full-time (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 7, 2014
This place is falling apart at the seams. People are being fired daily, many times secretly. NOT a good culture!!
Great benefits
Building Service Worker (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work hours and areas
NIU has absolutely great benefits for insurance and retirement. The hardest part of the position was working in an area or hours that you are not comfortable with and having no opions to change that.
Stable work environment
Payroll Specialist III (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 23, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: lack of advancement opportunity
Pockets of greatness. Some managers were difficult but no place is perfect. Overall, a good place to get your career started.
School Spirit, Fun job to have
Work Study Program (Former Employee), dekalb ilApril 17, 2014
Pros: enjoyable
Cons: not paid well
I enjoyed it because we sold tickets to the football games and then were able to attend.
best place to work as Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Dekalb,ILApril 14, 2014
It's best in everything.Best place to work as Graduate Assistant,Best boss I ever worked under till date.
A great place to research
Research Intern (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 14, 2014
Researched new methods and treatments in the scope of Speech Language Pathology. Worked with great clientele as well as professors.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), DekalbApril 8, 2014
Research work and achieved new things that hasn't been implemented in real world.
Fun, but frustrating time in food service
Student Supervisor (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 4, 2014
Pros: free meals, flexible hours, working with friends
Cons: poor management
A typical day at work depends on what position you work. A cook's assistant will cook pans of scrambled eggs and pancakes in the morning, but may only make a few backups of fresh veggies for dinner. I learned a great deal about management, diplomacy, and customer service, skills which can apply to a variety of careers. Management was quite weak, as – more... some managers may be strict and others very lazy. Both kinds are prone to picking favorites, which is both encouraging and frustrating. I enjoy speaking with my co-workers. As we are all students and peers, we can relate and work well together. The hardest problem would be dealing with unsympathetic managers. The most enjoyable is working with friends. – less
Good company
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 18, 2014
This was a good company to work for. I helped students with their work.
Great place to work with great perks
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 14, 2014
The hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day. But the best part of my job is interacting with the students. It has been challenging working with various types of personalities, but with me being a very friendly and down to earth person, I get along with most people. I've learned that I don't have to take my co-workers home with me, so I – more... grin and bare it, and do my job. – less
Great University where I learned a lot
Division 1 Football Athlete & Team Captain (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2014
A lot of work is required in the Business school but overall it was all worth it. I learned a lot and I am ready for my career to start wherever it may be.
Good University
graduate teaching assistant (Current Employee), dekalb, IlFebruary 22, 2014
The school is great for students. I can truly say that I can recommend any student to come here. It can be a wake up call for some and just a brilliant experience for all. The school is so diverse that there is something there for everyone and their own personal needs and wants.
Excellent Institution and Place of Employment
Lecturer (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: the university community
Cons: n/a
A typical day is employee community oriented; I have learned that personable professionalism can make all the difference between happiness and dissatisfaction. With the proactive help of university administrators, I learned classroom management, and given the freedom to motivate and encourage students in a way that meets each graduate and doctorate – more... students learning style. My co-workers are the best, friendly and encouraging, which is the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Great institution to work and study.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 17, 2014
Family oriented, employee friendly and an overall great institution to work and study.
Great place to meet people
University Community Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: live-in environment, as such there isn't much personal time
Working as a community advisor will expose you to a lot of people and cultures.
best place to work
Resident Hall Staff Supervisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 7, 2014
had this job the longest i had to stop working here because i was not a student any more i loved this job

1 2 3 4 5