Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Good job for students
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 27, 2017
I work at the front desk of one of the residence halls and the job is very beneficial for students. We are able to schedule around our classes. The only thing that I am not a fan about is the pay and the fact that we can only work a certain amount of hours for the week and day.I feel like we should be able to work as many hours as possible as long as we can handle it.
Pros
Works according to schedule, easy to pick up shifts and get shifts covered.
Great for students
Smart Classroom Technician (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 27, 2017
Low stress work environment suitable for students. A lot of free time to study and catch up on school work. Work was technical, but not overly difficult.
Pros
Lot of free time
Cons
Near minimum wage
long hours, low pay
Food Administrator II (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 20, 2017
The majority of employees that I am responsible for make more money than I do. There is no leadership or support from upper management or Human Resources. No advancement opportunities.
Functioned as a teachers assistant.
Graduate Assistant/Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 15, 2017
I worked under two professors conducting research and teaching a food srvice management course and basic nutrion. I was given the responsible of grading papers and mentoring students in the computer lab.
Well defined duties
Cook (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 9, 2017
Each person knew their responsibilities and were given materials and guidelines to complete their work in a timely fashion.
There was always adequate help to complete work.
Pros
Free meals, discounted tuition, opportunity for overtime.
Cons
Summers off for most employees.
Good experience, very relaxing with very good co-workers.
Management Analyst Programmer II (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 7, 2017
This is the first programming job. Good co-workers and willing to help when needed. Given good responsibilities to support systems. The work culture is very good. The best part is having Summer working hours to have a 3 days weekends. Good long vacation time - 6 weeks. The bad thing was the town is too small. I had to live outside of my Chicago home.
Pros
Good workplace culture with helpful co-workers.
Cons
Need to live away from home.
Niu
Student Success Team Member (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 7, 2017
The campus has a great environment that is open to everyone in the community. I worked with an awesome team that made efforts each day to improve student life.
Good for students
Family Orientation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 10, 2017
Decent place to work as a student. Many different options. Some have better benefits than others. Usually good about working around class and homework hours. typically low paying
Many opportunities
Administrative / Video Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 9, 2017
Northern Illinois University offers many job options. In my experience, all of my coworkers and superiors were kind, understanding, helpful and patient.
This was just a part-time job while I was in college.
Geography Student Intern (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 2, 2017
Working at Northern Illinois University was great and the management was very helpful. I learned a lot about making maps.

The workplace culture was educational and I was working with people that were willing to share ideas.
Nice people to work with
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Financial aid DepartmentSeptember 20, 2017
Director was really nice ,always help full and friendly.
Relaxed work environment with flexible working hours.I really enjoy to work there because of no work pressure.
Overworked and Underpaid
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 20, 2017
Employees dropped like flies in many depts,last couple of yrs. Mgrs. continue to get raises while many non-mgmnt haven't had a raise in years. Stressful
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Cons
Stressful due to more managers than workers
Throwing and Catching a disc on disc with a 2 link maniplator
Graduate Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Engineering BuildingSeptember 12, 2017
In one semester, I took 4 classes along with that I have research work so I felt a bit typical days. I have learned many new things mainly regarding my thesis which is related to robotics. Considering all these aspects, I have learned time management. This work place is really cool having a couple of colleges each and every time made me work more freely and enthusiastically.
Great university
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 11, 2017
I have been at Northern Illinois University as a student, employee and athlete for the last 6 years. It is a great place to learn, grow and positively improve yourself.
Produktive Arbeitsgruppe
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb County, ILAugust 17, 2017
Mein Arbeitsgruppenleiter ermutigt und fördert den individuellen Werdegang und Entwicklung. Während meiner Beschäftigung also Postdoc habe ich den Umgang mit NGS Daten analyse (RNASeq assembly und annotation) erlernt. Ich habe die Möglichkeit an spannenden Themen wie zB Sequenzierung von neuen Organismen wie Algen und Darmbakterien zu arbeiten. Die Zusammenarbeit in der Gruppe wird stets Begrüßt, von Ideenaustausch, Problemlösung bis hin zu der Erstellung von Publikationen.
I work as a tutor and it is pretty laid back
PAL Tutor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 14, 2017
This is a good part time job. The hours are extremely negotiable and the management team is very easy to work with. I learned how to help people solve their problems with classes.
a typical campus job
Student Event Staff-NIU (Former Employee) –  Northern Illinois universityAugust 7, 2017
You get from this job what you put into it. You had to sign up for shifts as they were not assigned and the tasks varied with event you signed up for.
Good place to work, not for career chacers though
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS AND SERVICES (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 4, 2017
If you plan to develop a career, grow and learn new skills then NIU would not be the place for you. It is pretty limited to move up the ladder, yet good place to establish networking especially with alums who can always open new horizons for your future.
Management needs to be more leader-oriented and not please everybody.
Overall, I had amazing time working there, yet i am one who wants to build a career and NIU does not give you that opportunity.
Great place to learn
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 1, 2017
NIU is a great stepping stone that will help you advance your skills in your given field. However the pay is not competitive but the benefits are great.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low Pay
Positive
Instructor for NNGO (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJuly 26, 2017
It has been a positive experience working with northern as an instructor. Plenty of resources available to staff for a variety of needs. A very diverse student body.