Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employer Reviews

Academic work environment
Computer Labs Supervisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: stress free work environment
Cons: paid very little
Supervised the operations of the College of Business Computer labs. Learned to support computer users and statistical packages. Management was extremely supportive. Co workers were ok. Working late night shifts was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part was helping PC users and training graduate students and professors on PC usage.
fun and different place to work
cooks assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits, and pay
start my day by prepping food for the cooks, then my duties shifted to being the manager of the deli.
great management, accommodating hours
Multimedia Systems Engineer (Current Employee), DeKalb IlAugust 28, 2014
Pros: accommodates students obligations
Cons: student pay, no benefits
I spent 4 years working at niu and I must say that it has been a pleasure. The audiovisual department is the best set of employees on campus. I learned a ton and made a couple friends.
Productive and education workplace
Student Archives Assistant (Former Employee), Dekalb, ILAugust 17, 2014
Working in the Founders Memorial Library has been a wonderful opportunity as an undergraduate. I had the pleasure to work in two departments, where I got ample experience in processing, preserving, and archiving a variety of unique collections. I also had the opportunity to create lesson plans for educators using the resources the library had to offer.
One – more... of the best parts of this job was being able to assist students and patrons with their research, providing materials, and educating them on research databases. – less
This place is like home
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 24, 2014
Great place to work. The staff really care about you and your growth. Always pushing you to keep learning and develop both personally and professionally. Despite it being a large school, there is a lot of quality student interaction.
Team Member (Horrible)
Clerical Worker (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 21, 2014
Lets just say that was my very first job in highschool and it was the worst job I had thus far to date.
Fast paced, fun, flexible, and a knowledge attaining workplace
Server, expeditor, and busser (Former Employee), Dekalb, ILJuly 17, 2014
Pros: free lunches and building relationships
Cons: working in very hot areas
A typical day at work would consist of a variety of rolls in a dining hall. I would serve food to 500+ students and staff, conduct custodian work, communicate with and assist cooks, wash dishes, open and close workplace with other crew members, and assure excellent and friendly customer service to all individuals. I would assist any physically and/or – more... intellectually impaired individuals also assuring satisfaction with meals and seating.
Most days I dealt with student management who were exceptionally well-qualified and fun over-all. My managers and I were always professional, understanding, and content with each other and our work.
My coworkers varied, but there were no complaints. Most coworkers were hard working and friendly to the rest of the team and customers, exercising procedure.
The most difficult part of the job was working over-exceedingly fast due to a lack of crew during the winter season.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships with every day customers and always being able to satisfy customers with neat, professional, and friendly work and communication.
I learned to not only work with a variety of people, but deal with a variety of students. I learned to always keep smiling to keep others smiling and feeling better about any typical day. I learned to consider different personalities and deal with people accordingly, contrary to treating everyone the same. I learned to work a variety of roles simultaneously: a custodian, food server, assistant, and friend. – less
Good work environment
Technical Services (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 24, 2014
I love the department I work in, and it is an awesome job. NIU tends to pay students less than should be required by the work they do.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Graduate Teaching Assistant in Anthropology (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 10, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: poor communication
Great atmosphere! Loved my co-workers! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Salary was decent for the job. There were not any benefits for my position, and the health insurance was not the greatest.
NIU Dysfunction
Full-time (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 7, 2014
This place is falling apart at the seams. People are being fired daily, many times secretly. NOT a good culture!!
Great benefits
Building Service Worker (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work hours and areas
NIU has absolutely great benefits for insurance and retirement. The hardest part of the position was working in an area or hours that you are not comfortable with and having no opions to change that.
Stable work environment
Payroll Specialist III (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 23, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: lack of advancement opportunity
Pockets of greatness. Some managers were difficult but no place is perfect. Overall, a good place to get your career started.
School Spirit, Fun job to have
Work Study Program (Former Employee), dekalb ilApril 17, 2014
Pros: enjoyable
Cons: not paid well
I enjoyed it because we sold tickets to the football games and then were able to attend.
best place to work as Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Dekalb,ILApril 14, 2014
It's best in everything.Best place to work as Graduate Assistant,Best boss I ever worked under till date.
A great place to research
Research Intern (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 14, 2014
Researched new methods and treatments in the scope of Speech Language Pathology. Worked with great clientele as well as professors.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), DekalbApril 8, 2014
Research work and achieved new things that hasn't been implemented in real world.
Fun, but frustrating time in food service
Student Supervisor (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 4, 2014
Pros: free meals, flexible hours, working with friends
Cons: poor management
A typical day at work depends on what position you work. A cook's assistant will cook pans of scrambled eggs and pancakes in the morning, but may only make a few backups of fresh veggies for dinner. I learned a great deal about management, diplomacy, and customer service, skills which can apply to a variety of careers. Management was quite weak, as – more... some managers may be strict and others very lazy. Both kinds are prone to picking favorites, which is both encouraging and frustrating. I enjoy speaking with my co-workers. As we are all students and peers, we can relate and work well together. The hardest problem would be dealing with unsympathetic managers. The most enjoyable is working with friends. – less
Good company
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 18, 2014
This was a good company to work for. I helped students with their work.
Great place to work with great perks
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 14, 2014
The hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day. But the best part of my job is interacting with the students. It has been challenging working with various types of personalities, but with me being a very friendly and down to earth person, I get along with most people. I've learned that I don't have to take my co-workers home with me, so I – more... grin and bare it, and do my job. – less
Great University where I learned a lot
Division 1 Football Athlete & Team Captain (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2014
A lot of work is required in the Business school but overall it was all worth it. I learned a lot and I am ready for my career to start wherever it may be.

1 2 3 4 5