Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Great Student Workplace and Learning Institution
Associate II (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 17, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, Proximity to classes, Fun people
Cons: Working during stressful times in school
A typical day at work involves helping guests and students with informational needs. It feels nice helping others especially when they express great gratitude.
Productive and easy going
Desk Clerk (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for both companies I was exposed to both fast and slow pace environments I believe I can succeed in both.
Great as Student
New Hall Residential Dining Student Manager (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, fun co-workers
Cons: Short breaks, very busy, late hours
Very fast paced. You learn more about student life, how to balance work with school, and are very well acquainted with school spirit! My co-workers were very easy to work with since they were all students, like myself. I learned to become more responsible with my time.
Great level of music artistry
University Jazz Band Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 9, 2015
Incredible envoirement for Artists. The Jazz program is on of the best in the country, lead by Mr Reggie Thomas.
Focused on team work and exellence in every field of music education
Productive, Team Oriented, Team Building, Flexible, Trustworthy
Fitness Staff (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 8, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, Good Superior, Youthful and Fun Environment
Cons: None
Most day were the same but the working staff some how made the day creative. Working here was all about team building, working together and backing each person up. Our supervisors were uplifting and helpful which was very pleasant to have such individuals in power to work with. There wasn't may hard parts of the job because I never worked alone. The job was also build off trust. I was entrusted with responsibilities that carried the good name of the company. I was even entrusted with responsibilities that were above my position. Every thing about the job was enjoyable.
Great benefits but it took a long time to move up the ladder and acquire decent pay.
Administrative Assistant and Office Manager (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, free tuition, nice environment
Cons: Work load can be exhausting at times
NIU is overall a really great place to work. Most everyone is friendly and helpful, no matter what it is you need. I like the fact that there are people from diverse backgrounds (all over the world, actually) who are fun to talk with and extraordinarily interesting. There is so much knowledge to gain from the variety of classes offered, as I earned my degree here as well while working full time. One of the great benefits is that if you're a full time employee, tuition is basically free. The only difficult part of my job is that sometimes, when the semester is in full swing, office life can be a bit stressful and tense. Other than that, NIU is a great place to work!
Overworked and underpaid....great colleagues and independence
Instructor, School of Theatre & Dance (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 17, 2015
Pros: People and Freedom
Cons: Pay, no advancement, Academics losing the battle to Administration
The changing structure of the university administration is pit against the academic side. Not atypical of any university, but it's a crumbling system. No room for advancement though I always felt secure in my job. My department is full of wonderful and talented people, both professors and students alike. However, when professor lines are cut and farmed out to adjuncts at a ridiculously cheap rate, education suffers and the system collapses in.

I teach around 400+ students a year and serve on 5 committees, direct/coach multiple shows a year, and work about 60-70 hours a week. My compensation after years of service is just now approaching the mid 30's.
Good
GRADUATE ASISTANT (Current Employee), Dekalb, ILMarch 31, 2015
Good! Great people to work with! They are very friendly, helpful, and very understanding! They work around your school schedule.
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2015
I would recommend my friends to study at NIU. The education standards are high and you get a good exposure here.
Management is superb and always ready to help you.Work environment is friendly and cool.
Productive environment
Student Assistant Athletic Media Relations (Former Employee), DeKalb ILMarch 26, 2015
They gave me a great opportunity to work in the field before ever going out into the industry. Yet not much help in career advice once the job ended.
Learning Experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Engineering BuildingMarch 23, 2015
I enjoy the work.I improved my communication skills.Even my confidence level went up high.I can address a group of people confidently.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Management Department (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 21, 2015
As said great culture and environment of work to learn new things and make people realize about your talent as well. Would graduate from NIU with lots of memories and knowledge.
Good school with diversity and many job opportunities
Traditional Server (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2015
Pros: lots of resources available to student employees
Cons: big school
-Worked in a residence hall serving students traditional food in a fast paced environment that allowed me to make time for my coursework.
Director of Health Services (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2015
Health Services is a good place to work. The providers and staff are committed to quality care for the university students.
You'll be stuck
Assistant (Current Employee), DekalbMarch 12, 2015
There isn't much room to advance within the University. Most fresh ideas are looked down upon as there is a set way of doing things that many do not want to stray from.

about the only pros is the insurance benefits and the ability to be really flexible with your schedule.
very good lie/work balance
Statistician and SAS Programmer (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2015
NIU is nice place to work and have chance to get free further education. The only bothering me is that winter commute is a big issue.
good job
Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 19, 2015
High‐performing, strategic‐thinking professional with more than six years' experience in
employment services in the non‐profit and higher education sectors. Highly skilled at relationshipbuilding
with clients and across organizations and teams; exceptional writing, presenting, and
interpersonal communication skills.
Residential Life
Graduate Residence Hall Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 18, 2015
The Residential Life department has a very strong leadership team. The school is very embracing when it comes to diversity and has meany resources on campus for students of color. There are many opportunities for advancement and professional development.
basic work study job
Student Employee (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
• Demonstrated customer service skills by providing problem solving and communication
• Served food to customers while making sure customers were satisfied
• Organized kitchen equipment and food according to that days menu
Nice and relaxed environment to engage with students
Teacher's assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: doing what i love.
Cons: very limited breaks between work and school.
A typical day being a Teacher's assistant involves devoting about 4 hours each weekday to undergraduate students, where I would do my best to convey knowledge and figure out how to solve students' struggles. The most important thing I have learned is to have a very open mindset. I learned rather quickly having an open mindset made It simpler to see why students were making the mistakes they were which made it easy to explain what they were doing incorrect. I am now prepared to have in-depth conversations with anyone due to having sight of their views on the subjects of discussion. I did not necessarily have a "hardest" part of my job. I was able to see positive in every situation I was dealt. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help students succeed when they were extremely doubtful they would ever be able to pass their math classes. Helping any student with anything possible always gave me such happiness since I was able to boost their self-esteem.

1 2 3 4 5