Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Great Place to learn
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 25, 2016
You learn a lot of technologies being a student. The work here has helped me a lot in knowing about the making a software product.
Pros
Good relations with faculty
Cons
No cons
It is a good time
Graduate Assistant at NIU (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 8, 2016
I enjoy myself very much working at NIU, especially the time when I accompany for the opera choir. From rehearsal to performance, we communicate and corporate together very well. I am very excited for every performance on stage. I have learned a lot from the conductor and actors.
Great Place to Work!
Visiting Professor of Music (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 7, 2016
I absolutely loved working for NIU. My students were excellent and very hard working. It was challenging and fun to be at a place where my experience, scholarship, and talents were celebrated and recognized. I only wish that the position I held as Visiting Professor would have led to full-time tenure track employment. Only time will tell. Thanks NIU!
decent place to work at
Housing and Dining Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me preparing food or serving food to the students at the university. I was able to become more social by working here and it helped me obtain managing skills.
Pros
Got a chance to eat before work
Cons
had to be quick at doing things
Administrative change and the current situation with Illinois state govenment makes this once happy place a miserable work enviroinment
Institutional Research, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 21, 2015
You can come to work with a good attitude and be miserable in 10 minutes flat. Over the years, I learned many different software products, international hr procedures and state statutes.

My immediate managers were always excellent. The new administration is unqualified, uneducable, and uninterested in employees. It seems their qualification is having been fired from at least one position and being on psycotrpic drugs.

My co workers were the best.

The hardest part of the job was figuring out what tricks the administration wanted you to do next.

The best part of the job was going home.
Pros
There are no pros any more.
Cons
Insecure postions, unstable state of benefits, being treated as a human comodity instgaed of a person
undergrad research
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 16, 2015
this was a position as an undergrad research assistant. Overall was a good experience since i learned many things and essentially bonus time with the professor. paper got published at the end.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 30, 2015
Being an undergrad teaching assistant at NIU was an incredible experience I enjoyed it very much, it was challenging at times but I learned a lot.
TA at NIU
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 11, 2015
Good program and great professors. There is a laid back environment. There are good benefits competitive with other programs.
Pinkerton was not a good fit for me
Full time custodian (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 4, 2015
Respectful employer and I went into it knowing it was part time and I would not be advancing. I had 1 semester of college to finish and needed a part time job I could study during with my boss's consent. It was not going to pay or provide the benefits I wanted but it met my temporary needs. The best part was being allowed to study on the job. The worse part was outdoor rounds in the cold winter time.
Pros
I could study
Cons
low pay and outdoor work in the winter
Friendly and fair
Shipping/Receiving - Purchasing backround (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 2, 2015
Fast paced shipping and receiving. Friendly accommodating managers. Large amount of memorization required to perform this job efficiently. Great opportunity to work with every department on campus.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Lower pay
Student work study
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 31, 2015
Working with the "Student Work Study" at Northern Illinois was a good introduction to the working world. t taught me how to balance school and a job as well.
Enjoyable work place
CEET Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 30, 2015
I currently work in the computer lab in the engineering building at Northern Illinois University as a student. My duties include taking care of the computer systems as well as help other students get a better understanding of the computer programs used for engineering classes. The hardest part of my job is the late nights when there are not a lot of students around. The most fulfilling part of my job is when I see a student struggling with his/her homework, then after my help, seeing the so called light bulb come on and they understand what they are doing. My coworkers and I have a lot of enjoyable moments and great comradery. Because I have dedicated coworkers, management is more like mentors to me than managers. I stay flexible and so do they for a great work environment. I constantly learn more about engineering through helping others and my mentors/managers. After graduating, I will miss this part of my life. I hope to find this environment in my career.
Pros
People
Cons
odd hours
Typical state institution with minimal resources
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 2, 2015
This university struggles with the same issues as comparable state-funded educational systems. Opportunities for growth or permanent employment are contingent on the availability of funding, which varies depending on the caliber of work being conducted. Opportunities for professional development are scarce and not well advertised. Other resources exist, but the onus falls on oneself to actively seek them out. Management and leadership varies, but by and large individuals only have their own agenda in mind which doesn't sponsor a sense of collegiality or interdisciplinary collaboration.
Great Place to work!!
Software Developrt (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 23, 2015
This was a great place to work. This was a great opportunity! I appreciate the cultural, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the experiance.
Fun and diverse place to work
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 23, 2015
This is a wonderful place to work. There are many different departments and job types available. The other employees are friendly, the benefits are great, an overall perfect place to be employed.
Love this job
Student Advocate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I enjoy the work I do at NIU and love making a positive impact in the lives of our college students. I am limited to only 900 hours then required to take 30days off, and looking to supplement my weekly income. I will not be quitting one job to start another. Again, looking to supplement the job I already love!
Pros
Daily job satisfaction
Cons
not enough hours
Great
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 2, 2015
An economical way to pursue a fine education.
Great location and resources. The campus is beautiful. The library is impressive.
Work at NIU
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  dekalbSeptember 1, 2015
Working at NIU helped me to uplift my abilities in many areas like communicating with international people, managing with busy schedules, completing the tasks within deadlines etc. I worked as teaching assistant under my professor where I have to teach undergraduates.The hardest part of my work in graduation is my research work apart frommechanical engineer i worked on biomediacl application cancer treatment. Firstly i was tensed and confused from where to start but i started reading the papers and books for almost a month. Then I made a layout work for my project and slowly started actual process and successfully completed my project with in deadline. The research work gave lot of joy where i use to stay in my college all over night browsing on related topics. I even enjoyed my teching with under graduates.
productive
Graduate assistant (Current Employee) –  dekalb,ILAugust 19, 2015
It is a great place to work,study,party, and many more. I enjoyed a lot here. If you want to join, go ahead. No more explanation is needed.
Niu
Nursing (Former Employee) –  StudentAugust 3, 2015
I was a student at this institution for one year. Then I transferred to a closer college in Chicago. I had a great experience learning in a diverse culture.