Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Great School
Lake Lucerne, Camp Councilor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJune 3, 2016
My time at Northern Illinois University has taught me a lot, from who I am, to how to be a professional in the business world.
Na
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 27, 2016
It was good working there. Learned a lot from the professors. They were are very helpful. Got to lean new technologies. Understood how to manage things and how to allocate time to each activity.
Typical state institution with minimal resources
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 2, 2015
This university struggles with the same issues as comparable state-funded educational systems. Opportunities for growth or permanent employment are contingent on the availability of funding, which varies depending on the caliber of work being conducted. Opportunities for professional development are scarce and not well advertised. Other resources exist, but the onus falls on oneself to actively seek them out. Management and leadership varies, but by and large individuals only have their own agenda in mind which doesn't sponsor a sense of collegiality or interdisciplinary collaboration.
Great Place to learn
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 25, 2016
You learn a lot of technologies being a student. The work here has helped me a lot in knowing about the making a software product.
Pros
Good relations with faculty
Cons
No cons
undergrad research
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 16, 2015
this was a position as an undergrad research assistant. Overall was a good experience since i learned many things and essentially bonus time with the professor. paper got published at the end.
Friendly and fair
Shipping/Receiving - Purchasing backround (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 2, 2015
Fast paced shipping and receiving. Friendly accommodating managers. Large amount of memorization required to perform this job efficiently. Great opportunity to work with every department on campus.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Lower pay
Love this job
Student Advocate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I enjoy the work I do at NIU and love making a positive impact in the lives of our college students. I am limited to only 900 hours then required to take 30days off, and looking to supplement my weekly income. I will not be quitting one job to start another. Again, looking to supplement the job I already love!
Pros
Daily job satisfaction
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyable work place
CEET Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 30, 2015
I currently work in the computer lab in the engineering building at Northern Illinois University as a student. My duties include taking care of the computer systems as well as help other students get a better understanding of the computer programs used for engineering classes. The hardest part of my job is the late nights when there are not a lot of students around. The most fulfilling part of my job is when I see a student struggling with his/her homework, then after my help, seeing the so called light bulb come on and they understand what they are doing. My coworkers and I have a lot of enjoyable moments and great comradery. Because I have dedicated coworkers, management is more like mentors to me than managers. I stay flexible and so do they for a great work environment. I constantly learn more about engineering through helping others and my mentors/managers. After graduating, I will miss this part of my life. I hope to find this environment in my career.
Pros
People
Cons
odd hours
Work at NIU
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  dekalbSeptember 1, 2015
Working at NIU helped me to uplift my abilities in many areas like communicating with international people, managing with busy schedules, completing the tasks within deadlines etc. I worked as teaching assistant under my professor where I have to teach undergraduates.The hardest part of my work in graduation is my research work apart frommechanical engineer i worked on biomediacl application cancer treatment. Firstly i was tensed and confused from where to start but i started reading the papers and books for almost a month. Then I made a layout work for my project and slowly started actual process and successfully completed my project with in deadline. The research work gave lot of joy where i use to stay in my college all over night browsing on related topics. I even enjoyed my teching with under graduates.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 30, 2015
Being an undergrad teaching assistant at NIU was an incredible experience I enjoyed it very much, it was challenging at times but I learned a lot.
Student work study
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 31, 2015
Working with the "Student Work Study" at Northern Illinois was a good introduction to the working world. t taught me how to balance school and a job as well.
Fun and diverse place to work
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 23, 2015
This is a wonderful place to work. There are many different departments and job types available. The other employees are friendly, the benefits are great, an overall perfect place to be employed.
TA at NIU
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 11, 2015
Good program and great professors. There is a laid back environment. There are good benefits competitive with other programs.
Atmosphere here has deteriorated considerably over the past two years
IR Office Manager (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 28, 2015
At this time, a typical day at work involves appeasing contradictory directives from incompetent people. I have learned to not care about anything or anyone except those in my immediate work area. The management that I work directly under is excellent. The overall management is disjointed, unethical, and unqualified for the work they are attempting to do. The hardest part of the job is facing the deterioration of quality and ethical practices that come to light every day. Enjoyable part? There is no joy here.
Pros
Tuition waiver which the stae is trying to take away
Cons
Unorganized, dijointed, uncommunicative, unethhical adminsitration with no people skills, no abiltiy to construct a cohesive plan and no real interest in the organization as a whle.
Productive, Team Oriented, Team Building, Flexible, Trustworthy
Fitness Staff (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 8, 2015
Most day were the same but the working staff some how made the day creative. Working here was all about team building, working together and backing each person up. Our supervisors were uplifting and helpful which was very pleasant to have such individuals in power to work with. There wasn't may hard parts of the job because I never worked alone. The job was also build off trust. I was entrusted with responsibilities that carried the good name of the company. I was even entrusted with responsibilities that were above my position. Every thing about the job was enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good Superior, Youthful and Fun Environment
Great Place to work!!
Software Developrt (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 23, 2015
This was a great place to work. This was a great opportunity! I appreciate the cultural, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the experiance.
Great and fun place to work
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJune 8, 2015
A typical day at the desk consisted of directing students, visitors, and administrators to asked places. handling, sorting and delivering mail along with answering phones and emails. I learned how to adapt to customers needs and their moods. The management was very strict but bearable.
Great as Student
New Hall Residential Dining Student Manager (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 11, 2015
Very fast paced. You learn more about student life, how to balance work with school, and are very well acquainted with school spirit! My co-workers were very easy to work with since they were all students, like myself. I learned to become more responsible with my time.
Pros
Free lunches, fun co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, very busy, late hours
Good university
Tutor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJuly 31, 2015
The faculty is good. It is an excellent university with students from different countries. Had a great experience teaching students from diverse background.
Pros
Reasonable fee, good scholarships and moderate fee
Cons
NIL
Great opportunity to gain experience
Tutor and Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Founder's Memorial LibraryMay 19, 2015
Typical Day: Arrive at the Tutoring Center in the camps library, start conducting database entry for payroll and checking in students to different tutors based on subject, and tutor anyone that came in for Spanish, English, or business help.

What I learned: Patience and building relationships with those you work with is key, especially the students who truly struggle with the course material

Management: Great supervisor team and upper management

Hardest Part of The Job: Having more than 4 students at one time for different classes during a tutoring session

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: When student;s raise their grades in the courses you helped them with or talk about a good grade they got on their homework, quizzes, or tests
Pros
Great team to work with, an opportunity to brush up on the basics of courses you have taken in the past

Northern Illinois University Reviews by Location