Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 25, 2017
During my 2 years of attending NIU, I worked as a Dining room attendant and Desk Operator. I learned how to cook better and be efficient in a fast pace environment. As a desk operator, learning how to reach out to resources to help the student body was awesome
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
Short Breaks, Short of Staff
Very good place
Writing Coach (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 25, 2017
Very good place to study, learn and develop yourself personally and professionally.All the people whom I have worked with are extremely friendly and helpful.
Great company to take first career steps
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 23, 2017
Company really relied on its team leaders to fulfill quotas and adhere to company policies. Management formed a strong team-building work ethic, which made the job culture as pleasant as it was highly productive.
Pros
little micromanaging, room for advancement
Cons
temporary assignments made job security nonexistent
Productive Work Place
Front Desk Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 21, 2017
A typical day involves various functions including answering calls, helping students who may become residents fill out contracts as well as helping current residents. We also frequently had maintenance workers coming to and from buildings and I assisted them with paperwork and directing them to the proper building and apartment. I have also been responsible for sorting and logging mail into the computer system. I improved my customer services skills while holding this position. I enjoyed working with my manager who was always available if I needed her for help with a task I was unsure of how to complete. There was a great flow of communication between management as well as my coworkers. I would say the hardest art of the job was remaining patient with frustrated students. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with students to help plan and coordinate events being held at our community center.
Pros
Flexible schedule, open communication
Cons
Strict limitation on hours
My workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 17, 2017
I really enjoy working as a Graduate Teaching Assitant and as an Outreach Mentor at Northern Illinois Univeristy. As a teaching assistant for a general education course I get to meet undergraduate students from diverse fields and it is interesting working with them. Handling the course, Signals and Systems, a higher level course in Electrical department, I get to deal with junior and senior students and I really feel very happy looking at the student's interest and dedication to the subject. I feel happy to help them with the subject. As an outreach mentor, I work with high school girls introducing them to the STEM field. Our team designs new projects for the school girls to work with and thus encouraging them to take up the STEM courses in future.
Pros
Diverse work field, Interaction with students, etc
Cons
Miss my work during summer and winter breaks.
Fun, Fast paced
Event staff (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 16, 2017
Working events at Northern was a fun experience. It sparked in interest in events for possibly wanting a job working for events in the future. I got to see lots of different kinds of events such as a Drag Queen Runway show all the way to dance competitions all thanks to working this job.
Pros
got to experience a multitude of events
Cons
sometimes crazy hours
Professional atmosphere
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 6, 2017
An excellent place to work. Friendly coworkers who are down to earth people. Great environment to work in. Flexible management that is very understanding.
Productive and fun place
Supplemental Instructor Leader (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 6, 2017
I loved the working environment. Many people were open-minded and gave ideas to each other. In addition, the other employees were really nice and the schedules were flexible. If people time manages everything correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.
Workplace Culture
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 5, 2017
The culture is admirable. My colleagues are very outgoing and have great personalities. I expect something different each day which makes going to work that much more fun.
Pros
The experience gained is transferable to almost any corporate position.
Cons
Not enough pay.
Enjoyment with training individials
Graduate Assistant for Faculty and Fitness (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 4, 2017
Create and implement a variety of workouts for group training classes.
I learned the ability to modify, and accommodate to a variety of individuals.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see the patrons happy.
Pros
Easily accessable, and communcation is enjoyable.
Cons
Work about 2 or 3 short shifts a day.
work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 4, 2017
It was fun to work with my professor. I was able to learn more about my field of study. The office staffs were very much helpful and the immediate availability of resources from my department, when needed made my work easier.
Pros
20 hours a week, can work on anytime
Good place for a master's in comm studies!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 3, 2017
I enjoyed the courses offered and the research I was able to do at NIU but sometimes it seemed like a hostile work environment as the spirit of competition got a bit carried away. Overall, I have absolutely no regrets and I look back on my time there fondly and with appreciation. If you ever find yourself in DeKalb, stop by Fatty's and grab some chicken tenders for me!
Pros
Great place for furthering an education!
Cons
Sometimes unhealthy level of stress and unhealthy level of mean-spiritedness throughout the offices
Great Campus job
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 3, 2017
It is great and easy working for NIU. I worked as a Desk Assistant and a Community Advisor. If you have good people skills then the job is pretty easy and at times rewarding.
Pros
room & board (CA position)
Cons
Never stop working (CA position)
Amazing Place to Study & Work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 28, 2017
Gave me the opportunity to enhance my skills further with great emphasis on the professional as well as personal development. has great work ethics and a fun place to work.
Good school to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2017
Working in OMIS department is fun. You can learn from very qualified professors. They are really helpful and willing to give their time. I have enjoyed my time at NIU
student job employment
Housing & Dining Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 17, 2017
For anyone looking for a starter job in customer service; this is it. It helped give me the tools necessary to handle daily customers and provide great service
Pros
scheduling
Cons
student job not enough hours
Difficult place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 9, 2017
Poor management and extremely poor budget situation leads to good employees leaving the university. Inconsistent hiring practices and very poor HR department leads to jobs being left unfilled. little to no advancement opportunities. Benefits are at the whim of the State of Illinois politicians.
Pros
37.5 hour work week. generous vacation time
Cons
Management. Inconsistent policies.
Great learning
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 8, 2017
Learnt a lot of things working as graduate assistant, got a great support from my professor and was able to complete my work on time. Learnt the concepts myself by working.
Information Technology
Information Technology Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 8, 2017
- Very Positive Environment
- Learned computer skills
- Learned Administrative Skills
- Very good for learning computer softwares
- Maintaining safety
Pros
Very good co workers
Cons
cannot work once you graduate
A great place to learn, teach and have fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2017
Graduate Assistant at Northern Illinois University experience diverse cultures share their knowledge and ideas with fellow students and in turn learn from others too. Faculty at NIU is amazing always motivation and impart good engineering knowledge to students which makes NIU an amazing place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2