Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

You'll be stuck
Assistant (Current Employee) –  DekalbMarch 12, 2015
There isn't much room to advance within the University. Most fresh ideas are looked down upon as there is a set way of doing things that many do not want to stray from.

about the only pros is the insurance benefits and the ability to be really flexible with your schedule.
very good lie/work balance
Statistician and SAS Programmer (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2015
NIU is nice place to work and have chance to get free further education. The only bothering me is that winter commute is a big issue.
Residential Life
Graduate Residence Hall Director (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 18, 2015
The Residential Life department has a very strong leadership team. The school is very embracing when it comes to diversity and has meany resources on campus for students of color. There are many opportunities for advancement and professional development.
basic work study job
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
• Demonstrated customer service skills by providing problem solving and communication
• Served food to customers while making sure customers were satisfied
• Organized kitchen equipment and food according to that days menu
Nice and relaxed environment to engage with students
Teacher's assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day being a Teacher's assistant involves devoting about 4 hours each weekday to undergraduate students, where I would do my best to convey knowledge and figure out how to solve students' struggles. The most important thing I have learned is to have a very open mindset. I learned rather quickly having an open mindset made It simpler to see why students were making the mistakes they were which made it easy to explain what they were doing incorrect. I am now prepared to have in-depth conversations with anyone due to having sight of their views on the subjects of discussion. I did not necessarily have a "hardest" part of my job. I was able to see positive in every situation I was dealt. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help students succeed when they were extremely doubtful they would ever be able to pass their math classes. Helping any student with anything possible always gave me such happiness since I was able to boost their self-esteem.
Pros
doing what i love.
Cons
very limited breaks between work and school.
Good university work experience
Food Service Worker at NIU Housing & Dining (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 12, 2015
It was a good job for a kid going through school. Good coworkers, management was also made mostly of students so they were easy to approach. Could be slow sometimes depending on the shift. Many different responsibilities.
Pros
good coworkers, good managers, good customer experience
Cons
low pay, poor maintenance
Independence to a fault
Instructor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 9, 2015
This position is great. The students are great and the work is great. The management is not. Very limited direction is given to cover the scope of responsibility which you are held accountable for. The administrative layers do not make sense, and the pay is horrible. As a Master's Degree holder with significant experience, I would make more money working in a manual labor position not requiring a high school degree. But, I absolutely love what I do so I continue to do it.
Pros
job duties
Cons
pay
Laid back environment with occasional financial constrains
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Overall, I enjoyed teaching at NIU. The students were great. We had to work with what we had. My final year there, NIU finally updated to a digital format in HD. My typical day started with setting up the studio cameras, lights, microphones, monitors, audio board, video board, and etc. I taught two classes per day in the lab. I instructed the students about all studio equipment before we went hands on. After a few days of instruction and practice, we began doing live-to-tape programs. I supervised students as they filmed their projects in studio, and troubleshooted when there were technical problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the students grow from beginners to intermediate video producers throughout the semester.
Productive work place with lot of career opportunities
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 7, 2015
I enjoy my day at work as I get to interact with lot of people from various places. My managing and communication skill has improved a lot. Feedback from my colleges have has provided me a base for my positive learning.
Project Management Assistant
Research Assistant, IL, US (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 6, 2015
• Assisted project managers on planning, defining deliverables, scheduling, and controlling their projects.
• Developed soft skills such as leadership, reporting, communicating, and presentation.
• Supervised the implementation, functioning, and training of MS Project Server, as well as, leading the project management office.
• Started my work with developing an inventory system. I learnt SQL, Access, and Excel.
Good manual labor and flexible schedule for being a student
Animal Caretaker/Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Biology DepartmentFebruary 6, 2015
I drive up to the farm location, feed the chickens, collect eggs for both breeding and consumption, remove dead chickens from their cages and record their wing band number, and once a week clean the farm.

I learned how to think on my feet, and with that came learning how to repair equipment in new and more efficient ways.

The job overall was great. My direct supervisor was a very kind woman who was very understanding, but also was able to have everyone get things done efficiently and effectively. I enjoyed my job very much, except on days when I was stressed out from school and other events going on in my life.
A good place to work
Assistant Director, University Honors Program (Current Employee) –  Campus Life BuildingJanuary 28, 2015
Typical midsized, Midwestern public university. Up and coming football program. For faculty, not much less stress than an R-1 institution. Close enough to Chicago's cultural scene to be worthwhile. DeKalb is a good place to raise a family.
Pros
time off for holidays
Cons
parking
productive and fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 27, 2015
good to develop new skills
learned how to engage in group projects with different kind of people
Pros
tution waiver
Cons
short breaks
Good Place to Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 27, 2015
Maintains Good Educational Standards
Better Working Environment
Good place to work.
Review
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 12, 2015
I had a wonderful experience at NIU for graduate school. The small department has a strong family feel to it that you might not get at larger universities.
Good Job but only night work available
General Manager 4M Supplies and Installation (Current Employee) –  NIU Police DepartmentJanuary 11, 2015
The job mainly entails securing buildings and other University property (vehicles, athletic fields, parking lots, events...). We also issue state citations for parking violations... Management is very professional. It is a Union job. It is a great place to work if you like night work.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
working hours
A very good place to work at and had fun dealing with students like me.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Computer Science BuildingJanuary 5, 2015
My job was helping students get through with their assignments. As the course I was the assistant for is a programming course the students would be coming to me with many bugs and I had to fix them. Typically many of them were solved but they were situations where I was not able to help them. I had a very nice experience dealing with students of different minds.
Teaching students and learning at the same time
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 21, 2014
It is fun to share ideas with people especially the younger ones that you have met certain areas before they are introduced to.

Colleagues are fun to work with
Leaders are helping and it is a new learning style
fun
Student worker (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 14, 2014
fun to work at, nice staff, good food. Short hours friendly work place easy to meet new people.
Cashier at Campus Parking Services
Cashier III Campus Parking Services (Current Employee) –  Campus Parking ServicesDecember 6, 2014
My Day varies every day. I work the front counter, as well as answer phones. Depending on how many co-workers are there every day, I can spend my day on the phone. I can also spend my day at the counter. In between serving customers, I work on multiple data entry error reports, Process web transactions of parking ticket payments and Parking permit purchases. As well as linking License plate information with outstanding tickets to the correct Staff or Student who has not attached this information to their account. I also work on linking Lost or Stolen parking permits to a Blue tooth system that allows the ticket officers to find the permits out in the field. My total overall job is mentally demanding making sure data is correct, and most important of all keeping this information secure and private. It is also emotionally demanding when customers get emotional about their parking issue, and I need to provide professional customer service so they are treated with respect, have their issue addressed, and the transaction is processed correctly and efficiently. With 16 years of experience in this field, I believe I excel at it
Pros
my co-workers and supervisors
Cons
state of illinois civil service salary