Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employer Reviews

ALL the Perks of 4-year College
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 20, 2013
Pros: hours, game tickets
Great place to work. I wish I never had to leave. The campus is welcoming.
Community Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 1, 2013
Pros: free room and meal plan
Cons: small stipend
As a community advisor, there are no set hours and you get your room and board/meal plan waived. Also you have to attend weekly meetings which are required and it's not bad at all
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Dekalb, IllinoisMay 2, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: short term projects
Place where you can enjoy working.
Learned to work independently and handled one of the major design projects in my career.
It was a short term project and got help from professors.
New Student Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 26, 2013
Staff was very professional and offered flexible schedules
Engaging with Students
Graduate Teaching Assistant, History Department (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 19, 2013
Working with students is a rewarding experience. Assisting professors in class and with student contact, grading and answering students questions has been a very good experience. I also enjoyed reenforcing and expanding expert knowledge in the classes I assist with.
Internship
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 19, 2013
Pros: being able to interact with employees.
Cons: occasional evening and weekend hours.
While working as an intern for the Convocation Center of Northern Illinois University I learned many lessons on working in an office environment. I also learned many important logistical aspects of running such a large facility.
Great People, creative environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 14, 2013
Working in the scene shop at NIU is great. The department puts on 6 production each year, and every day in shop we work as a team to bring these shows to life. As an academic institution I had a chance to work with various levels of craftsmanship, from the freshman student whose never touched a screw gun, to a grad student who has worked in construction – more... most of their life. I've learned a lot, and I'll miss the bonds I've made when it comes time for me to graduate and move on. – less
Great experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 6, 2013
I did learn a lot of signal processing knowledge during my career at Northern Illinois University as a graduate research assistant. I enjoy the experience on writing programs to implement the algorithms learned in our classes and books. This made me improve a lot. Thanks.
Archaic processes and attitudes
Business Associate - Controller's Office (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 2, 2013
I've never seen adult, professional staff treated so poorly
I learned a lot
Video Producer and Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2013
Northern Illinois has many toys for you to play with and use to start your film or video career. They have everything from jibs, to HD cameras, to edit stations with Avid Media Composer on them.
Good place to work, both location wise and employee recognition wise.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 13, 2013
Good place to work, both location wise and employee recognition wise.
Review Summary
Handling cash, charge and check sales (Former Employee), DeKalb, IllinoisMarch 5, 2013
Awesome place to work for! I have nothing else to say other than that
had fun doing research and learned different software package
Teaching Assistant-Instructor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 18, 2013
Teaching Econometric lab sections in SAS motivated me to start self-learning in the software. Tutoring students helped me to train communication skill. The most enjoyable part of the job is that students showed their interest in the software and learned how to do a project by their own.
Premier Academia based institution
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalbFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: graduate teaching/research experience
Excellent opportunity working at Northern Illinois University's Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education with a focus in Exercise Physiology. Great experiences working with faculty and professors who are highly educated in their field. Working here is a continual learning process in the fact that I am challenged to learn new concepts in the – more... field. – less
Engineering Building ( EB)
Department of Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 12, 2013
can gain good knowledge as well as you can have fun while learning at EB in NIU
Fun Productive work
Field Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: free tickets to games
There is nothing better than working with a football team watching football all day
Good Perks for being a Grad Student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: tuition waiver, school benefits
Cons: pay is only 9 months out of the year
Best option for being a grad student is a Teaching assistant. You receive enough money to live off every two weeks. Everybody is really laid back in the department and you get a tuition waiver!
Comfortable, friendly atmosphere with lots of room for personal growth.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJanuary 17, 2013
As with all teaching jobs the tasks vary from day to day, which I always enjoyed because it keeps one from getting stagnant. Working with students was never something I had had an opportunity to do before, but I learned a lot being on the other side of the desk. Primarily it allowed me to put into practice everything that I had learned about being an – more... effective communicator up to that point. This position also allowed me time to explore my own research interests, primarily in the field of visual rhetorical studies and public communication. – less
Very diverse place to work
Student Employee (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: free meal per shift, meeting new people, serving others
Cons: too many workers, high turnover
Every semester and even throughout the semester, the employees change. This was my first job and it taught me a great deal about being an employee, such as listening to management and earning respect from your co-workers and managers. The job is extremely varying in responsibilities as a student employee in the dining halls.
Graduate Assistant
Teachers Assistant for Graduate Sport Sales Class (Former Employee), DeKalb, NYJanuary 15, 2013
It was a great experience to work with other graduate students in order to plan, organize and run a 5k race benefitting a charity.