Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employer Reviews

Huskie Pride
Associate Director (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 29, 2013
Dedicated faculty, affordable price. A great value for education only an hour from downtown Chicago. There is a current atmosphere of change happening which is great for students.
Awesome School!
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Dekalb, IllinoisJuly 25, 2013
Northern was a great experience. It was very diverse and had a wide range of learning opportunities. It had a wide variety of social outlets. I have a great learning experience. Great teachers and great friendships.
Great work experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 22, 2013
Great place to learn about working with students
Really education oriented
The could treat their graduate students better
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 15, 2013
NIU has some of the most expensive student fees in the country, and unlike most schools, they are not included in graduate student tuition waivers / grant payments. By the time I graduated, it was as if I had been paid over a full year's less in salary compared to a typical program in the field.
Great place to learn and assist others in the pursuit of Graphic Design
Visual Communication Lab Attendent (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 12, 2013
Pros: knowledge and access to high end printers, scanners, and equipment
A typical day consists of opening the lab and doing a quick inventory of paper, ink, and equipment.Then monitor the lab and assist students with projects and printing. Also assisting Professors with printing, research, and computer maintenance. Fellow Lab attendants were amazing to work with since they were also visual communication students.
Awesome place to go to school
Student (Current Employee), Sycamore, ILJuly 8, 2013
Pros: resources
Cons: parking
Love going to school here, but it has a very weird layout on campus. Other than that, great teachers, school spirit and resources for families, students, and much more!
Great hands on learning enviornment.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 27, 2013
Pros: work from home, and healthy work enviornment.
Cons: on call for e-mails 24/7
A typical work day would consist of preparing lectures for the professor, set up PowerPoint in the classroom. Speak to students about any questions they had as far as meeting during office hours. Held 3 office hours a week for assisting students. I managed and lectured in large university setting environments. I learned a lot about working with traditional – more... and non-traditional adult college students. I also learned a great amount of communication skills. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting students to strive for a better grade on their exams or papers. I would help students and answer any questions I could. Also working with the professor and learning about teaching college was very enjoyable. – less
ALL the Perks of 4-year College
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 20, 2013
Pros: hours, game tickets
Great place to work. I wish I never had to leave. The campus is welcoming.
Community Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJune 1, 2013
Pros: free room and meal plan
Cons: small stipend
As a community advisor, there are no set hours and you get your room and board/meal plan waived. Also you have to attend weekly meetings which are required and it's not bad at all
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Dekalb, IllinoisMay 2, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: short term projects
Place where you can enjoy working.
Learned to work independently and handled one of the major design projects in my career.
It was a short term project and got help from professors.
New Student Advisor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 26, 2013
Staff was very professional and offered flexible schedules
Engaging with Students
Graduate Teaching Assistant, History Department (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 19, 2013
Working with students is a rewarding experience. Assisting professors in class and with student contact, grading and answering students questions has been a very good experience. I also enjoyed reenforcing and expanding expert knowledge in the classes I assist with.
Internship
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 19, 2013
Pros: being able to interact with employees.
Cons: occasional evening and weekend hours.
While working as an intern for the Convocation Center of Northern Illinois University I learned many lessons on working in an office environment. I also learned many important logistical aspects of running such a large facility.
Great People, creative environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 14, 2013
Working in the scene shop at NIU is great. The department puts on 6 production each year, and every day in shop we work as a team to bring these shows to life. As an academic institution I had a chance to work with various levels of craftsmanship, from the freshman student whose never touched a screw gun, to a grad student who has worked in construction – more... most of their life. I've learned a lot, and I'll miss the bonds I've made when it comes time for me to graduate and move on. – less
Great experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 6, 2013
I did learn a lot of signal processing knowledge during my career at Northern Illinois University as a graduate research assistant. I enjoy the experience on writing programs to implement the algorithms learned in our classes and books. This made me improve a lot. Thanks.
Archaic processes and attitudes
Business Associate - Controller's Office (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILApril 2, 2013
I've never seen adult, professional staff treated so poorly
I learned a lot
Video Producer and Director (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 20, 2013
Northern Illinois has many toys for you to play with and use to start your film or video career. They have everything from jibs, to HD cameras, to edit stations with Avid Media Composer on them.
Good place to work, both location wise and employee recognition wise.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMarch 13, 2013
Good place to work, both location wise and employee recognition wise.
Review Summary
Handling cash, charge and check sales (Former Employee), DeKalb, IllinoisMarch 5, 2013
Awesome place to work for! I have nothing else to say other than that
had fun doing research and learned different software package
Teaching Assistant-Instructor (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 18, 2013
Teaching Econometric lab sections in SAS motivated me to start self-learning in the software. Tutoring students helped me to train communication skill. The most enjoyable part of the job is that students showed their interest in the software and learned how to do a project by their own.