Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Graphic Designer | Marketing & Promotions (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 27, 2017
Well, it is college athletics. The job atmosphere is fickle as there is constant change and very little job security and chance for advancement. I enjoy it but need some stability.
Productive and fun enviroment while managing documents
Office Assistant/ Team Member (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 25, 2017
A typical day includes filing records, printing documents, attending staff meetings. I learned great time management as well as a strong work ethic. The workplace employees were diverse and well respected. The hardest part of the job was managing different office assignments. The most enjoyable parts were the friendly conversations with staff and the parties.
Productive and positive social enironment
print technician (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 25, 2017
Working here was a great time. Whether I was talking to the students coming in about their work as I was helping them. Or when the opportunity was present, I was working to further my own. This job provided an environment where it encouraged myself and other students to communicate, work, and learn.
Fast paced at time but great environment
Buss Boy and Server (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 22, 2017
As normal in the catering business, there were times where the job was hectic crazy, and stressful. When it wasnt the busy time, the coworkers and management made for fun and laid back work environment that made all the craziness worth it.
Pretty good
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 22, 2017
It was worth doing to make sure I didn't rack up student loan debt in order to learn 50% general education (stuff I learned in high school) and some basic courses I could have watched YouTube videos on and learned just as well. Oh, and I did use YouTube to pass 75% of those classes.

Aside from that, the people you work with are some friendly and nice people to converse with while at work.
Pros
flexibility with class schedule.
Cons
will hold your monthly check if you have not met your monthly internship hours.
Productive and easy going work place
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 22, 2017
A typical work day is very fast paced but easy going. My communication and costumer service skills have improved tremendously. I genuinely enjoy being able to help others on a day to day basis.
Pros
I get to meet new and different people every day.
Motivated and helpful professors
Graduate Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 22, 2017
Northern Illinois University is an excellent college with teachers who are able to translate what students already know and help them learn and grow in order to become whatever their desire may be.
Works well with school schedule, a great learning experience
Lighting Technician (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 22, 2017
Working with Northern Illinois University is interesting because I also attend school there. It is essentially a work-study program. Working with whatever field you are interested in. It is a great learning experience and a nice way to earn some extra cash while progressing in your field of study.
Great Place to work and Learn
Research and Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 20, 2017
Great place to work and learn. Graduate assistantships help you gain experience for job seeking after graduation. The job market loves a masters degree
A productive work place that fast and slow paced. It was also a very helpful environment.
Cleaner, Fryer (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 18, 2017
It was a very relaxed environment that was still productive even when there were slow days. Also, we still made sure to keep our stations clean when it was slow. The managers were very nice and helped out with any question that I had for them.
Pros
Managers were very helpful.
Cons
Breaks were short.
Easy job
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 4, 2017
This was my first job and it honestly wasn't that bad looking back at it. I learned many skills that I took with me to other jobs. The main thing was just dealing with the students. Everybody is college is overly moody and sometimes moods would clash or people would think there mom was going to come in behind them and clean up. But other than that it wasn't too bad
Pros
Free lunch, easy to trade shifts
Cons
Short breaks and unorganized management
Most Enjoyable
Student Success Team Member (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 1, 2017
The most enjoyable part is that I am able to apply my skills in different settings. I am always needed for different programs and have to be flexible and ready to adapt which I enjoy.
Peaceful and relaxing work enviroment
Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 30, 2017
I enjoyed this job very much. It was the perfect job to have while in school full time. The work required of us was very simple. There was also time built in to this job that allowed us students to finish homework.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 25, 2017
During my 2 years of attending NIU, I worked as a Dining room attendant and Desk Operator. I learned how to cook better and be efficient in a fast pace environment. As a desk operator, learning how to reach out to resources to help the student body was awesome
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
Short Breaks, Short of Staff
Very good place
Writing Coach (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 25, 2017
Very good place to study, learn and develop yourself personally and professionally.All the people whom I have worked with are extremely friendly and helpful.
Great company to take first career steps
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 23, 2017
Company really relied on its team leaders to fulfill quotas and adhere to company policies. Management formed a strong team-building work ethic, which made the job culture as pleasant as it was highly productive.
Pros
little micromanaging, room for advancement
Cons
temporary assignments made job security nonexistent
Productive Work Place
Front Desk Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 21, 2017
A typical day involves various functions including answering calls, helping students who may become residents fill out contracts as well as helping current residents. We also frequently had maintenance workers coming to and from buildings and I assisted them with paperwork and directing them to the proper building and apartment. I have also been responsible for sorting and logging mail into the computer system. I improved my customer services skills while holding this position. I enjoyed working with my manager who was always available if I needed her for help with a task I was unsure of how to complete. There was a great flow of communication between management as well as my coworkers. I would say the hardest art of the job was remaining patient with frustrated students. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with students to help plan and coordinate events being held at our community center.
Pros
Flexible schedule, open communication
Cons
Strict limitation on hours
My workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 17, 2017
I really enjoy working as a Graduate Teaching Assitant and as an Outreach Mentor at Northern Illinois Univeristy. As a teaching assistant for a general education course I get to meet undergraduate students from diverse fields and it is interesting working with them. Handling the course, Signals and Systems, a higher level course in Electrical department, I get to deal with junior and senior students and I really feel very happy looking at the student's interest and dedication to the subject. I feel happy to help them with the subject. As an outreach mentor, I work with high school girls introducing them to the STEM field. Our team designs new projects for the school girls to work with and thus encouraging them to take up the STEM courses in future.
Pros
Diverse work field, Interaction with students, etc
Cons
Miss my work during summer and winter breaks.
Fun, Fast paced
Event staff (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 16, 2017
Working events at Northern was a fun experience. It sparked in interest in events for possibly wanting a job working for events in the future. I got to see lots of different kinds of events such as a Drag Queen Runway show all the way to dance competitions all thanks to working this job.
Pros
got to experience a multitude of events
Cons
sometimes crazy hours
Professional atmosphere
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 6, 2017
An excellent place to work. Friendly coworkers who are down to earth people. Great environment to work in. Flexible management that is very understanding.