Northern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

A lot to learn but a great benefit to those who are students
Coordinator - Online Learning (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYOctober 19, 2015
A typical day at work would begin anywhere between 7:30 and 8:15 and go until 4:30 or around 6pm.

In the current position I have learned to maintain databases, how to create reports and pull information from SAP, all while working with incoming prospective students.

The hardest part working at Northern Kentucky University is letting the prospective students who have attended for-profit schools know that the credit hours they have taken may not transfer into the school.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a prospective student through to graduation with their degree
Pros
Paid holidays, sick leave, great co-workers
Cons
Red tape politics
Working way through college
Student (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 16, 2015
I did many different things in college. I worked with the basketball team and traveled with them
I majored in Journalism and worked on the campus newspaper THE NORTHERNER.
I met a lot of great people there and enjoyed it.
Worked with my professor
Unity Developer (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 3, 2015
I worked from home on a project that lasted approximately 6 months as a student worker and was paid for my time. Although I did not remain an employee it was an overall enjoyable experience.
Housing is Awesome
Assignment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 22, 2015
Typical day at work was to assign students to resident halls. Provide assistance when needed and responsible for all billing and credits to student accounts.
Pros
free lunch, students keep you young
Fast Growing Progressive Institution
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland HeightsAugust 14, 2015
They are always attempting to innovate their process to be in step with the quickly advancing demands of the real world. I've watched them grow from a University dripping in ridicule to a legitimately respectable institution.
Pros
Ever moving into the future
Cons
Monetary restrictions are based on demand.
Great Student Work
Information Technology Senior Practicum (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 27, 2015
Great work environment where there are plenty of options to take off for exams or for personal reasons. I enjoyed working her while being a full-time undergraduate student.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant, Dep of ECO and MKT (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 15, 2015
Worked part time as a Graduate Assistant for the department of Finance and Economics; I assisted with course work preparation, research, financial data mining from CompuStat Software, helped provide and researched data to be analyzed and interpreted by the faculty for higher education research.
I love the work environment, the faculty was very pleasant to work with and tend to be flexible and at times let the G.A. make decisions as to how, when, and what to research with optimal supervision.
Pros
Scholarships, adequate compensation for students, relaxed work environment.
Cons
Positions terminated after graduation
Productive and fun
ACADEMIC COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 6, 2015
I've worked for NKU for 18 years. I work with budget, travel, scheduling, anything faculty needs. SAP experience, Microsoft software. Haven't had a raise in 3 years due to state budget constraints.
Review of NKU
Director, Registrar Services/Systems (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJune 28, 2015
NKU is in the middle of an expansive transition in attempting to change the course of the institution as a whole. Change can create concern about the future especially for those who have been with the institution for double digit years of service.
Repetitious and simple
Parking Attendant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parking ServicesJune 25, 2015
You sit in a parking booth for eight hours a day.
You learn patience, sympathy, understanding, and reasoning.
My co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job were the customers complaints and behaviors. Several times the police had to be called.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No use of creativity or the ability to be promoted.
No advancement potential or salary increases.
Power Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJune 14, 2015
It is an ok job but as I said in my summary the salary is low for the job and their is no advancement potential.
Good people
I work night shift 12 hrs.
enjoy every other weekend off
dealing with the low moral on the campus
Pros
Good job
Cons
No advancement potential.
No morale
Custodian- Student Union Building (Current Employee) –  campusMay 8, 2015
3 years running without a raise. Constant micromanaging. Always pointing out the flaws in your work, but never a compliment. Drama, drama, drama, everyone is in everybodies business but their own. Tobacco free campus, only enforced among employees. You will be written up and fired while students smoke openly and freely throughout the campus with no fear or repercussion. No morale whatsoever, Constant complaining. Very negative atmosphere. Would not recommend this job to anyone unless you are desperate for a job.
Great Place to Work
Undergraduate Research Assistance (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYApril 14, 2015
Its a wonderful place to work. Benefits are good and people are awesome. Company cares about how you feel and really looks out for you if you're having issues with the job.
Pros
University
Cons
University
NKU was at one time a great place to work. Since the new President came in he let it be known that nobody's job was safe.
Major Gift Officer University Wide (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 24, 2015
I spend my day setting up appointments with donors. I have between two and three lunch appointments a week. My coworkers are all new. They have either fired everybody or they have quit. The hardest part of my job is every month we change how we do something. With all the new people everybody wants to do it their way. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is that when I secure a gift I have made an impact on a donors and a students life.
Engaging learning environment
Studio 89 Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 2, 2015
The EMB department at NKU taught me a great deal about how to work on and off the set of a production, and the various elements that go into an effective show/film.
Great Vacation and Sick Benefits
Student Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYFebruary 24, 2015
No room to grow, not the best environment for upward momentum. Have not had raises in seven years... bad management. But good benefits.
Academic Tutor
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 24, 2015
The problem with this job is if you had an appointment scheduled and your student was a no-show, you did not get paid.
College job
Printing and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 29, 2014
I loved it. What more can I say?
It was a college job that I worked part-time. It didn't pay well, but it didn't need to. Fun and friendly place to work.
Wonderful Place to Work and Learn
Summer research assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 1, 2014
NKU is a wonderful place as a college and as a job. For my position I did research with a professor as a research assistant. The hours were flexible. You're doing what you love; for money! You're around people you know and who you're comfortable with. Nothing bad can be said about this job.
Very busy, but rewarding job
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 9, 2014
Each day was extremely busy (sometimes to the point where necessary work could not be completed during scheduled working hours). Working with students was very rewarding.