Northern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Worked as a temporary employee with people I knew, so it was pretty good.
Part time script developer (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 20, 2017
As I was only a temporary employee, I can't speak much about working for NKU. But I enjoyed who I worked with and what I was doing.
Pros
Worked at my own pace, worked around/with people I went to classes with
Student Worker position, don't expect much
Student Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 19, 2017
They pay you as little as they can because you are a student worker, and will actively go behind your back and heavily reduce your hours if they want to get rid of you.
Pros
Job on campus
Cons
Shady management, don't really care about student workers
Regressed from a great place to work to an oppressive atmosphere of change and distrust
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 17, 2017
NKU used to be a great place to work. Employees were treated with respect and overall morale was high. In the past five years, leadership has created an atmosphere of constant change and distrust. Changes are poorly communicated, if communicated at all before implementation. More and more work is required without raises and faculty have not received raises for several years. NKU is no longer a nice place to work.
Rewarding experience
Adjunct Instructor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 16, 2017
Very good institute to work for. Lots of learning opportunities; new technologies, innovative thinking, partnerships with local businesses and organizations.

Enjoyed my time with this university.
Pros
Resourceful, innovative, flexible.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 11, 2017
Very good pay, accommodating schedule, however I feel that I am being underutilized. I am not doing any of the task that had been described to me before hiring.
Pros
Good pay, tuition assistance, accommodating schedule
Cons
Boring, little experience gained
Positive work environment. Management dedicated to staff continued growth.
Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJanuary 11, 2017
Daily challenges to grow with each position I held with supportive management that recognized and rewarded accomplishments. Strong team environment among co-workers. Very rewarding and satisfying positions.
Great place to work!
Plumbing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYNovember 28, 2016
Great family atmosphere, friendly staff, great benefits, just an all around great place to work!
Great supervisors and always a challenge.
Benefits
Cons
Not getting pay raises to fast due to economy
Great Regional University
Director (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYNovember 17, 2016
Great Regional University, located in Northern Kentucky. Comprehensive University offering undergraduate and graduate degrees.
My home away from home for the last 16 years
Coordinator of New Student Orientation (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 26, 2016
As an employee of Northern Kentucky University I've been blessed to help people choose NKU as an Admissions Counselor. I've helped people figure out how to afford NKU as a Financial Aid Counselor; and I've helped welcome people to NKU as the Coordinator of New Student Orientation.

In each role, I've been fortunate to have supervisors that allowed me to participate in professional development opportunities on campus and away. I've been able to help other departments with projects and events outside the realm of my job description.

I cherish the mentor/men-tee relationships I've established with hundreds of NKU students over the years. The best part of the job is working with and learning about the students that go to school here. The hardest part is helping students with overly complex problems and trying to explain our processes and programs to parents who don't see the value in paying fees for such programs.
Pros
Opportunity to wear many different hats. The students.
Cons
Tough economic times in the state made raises difficult
Fun Place to work with great people!
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Scripps Howard CenterMay 26, 2016
While I was an Administrative Assistant at NKU I got to work with Staff, Faculty and Students. It was a fun place to work because we did different stuff all the day. My job duties fluctuated from answering phones to working events to place monies raised each semester.Our department worked with local non-profits in the area to place the funding, it was very rewarding.

Want to know more about Northern Kentucky University?

Ask a question
Nku
Research Grant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 14, 2016
NKU has the potential to be a great school the upper management really needs to be overhauled too much hiring of people that are not qualified. to lead.
Cons
Very bad upper management
Overall nice workplace but little opportunity for advancement and low salary
Director, Community Connections (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 9, 2016
Changing culture; low salaries lead to low morale; little advancement opportunity. Nice perks and benefit package; great co-workers over the years.
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, OHFebruary 24, 2016
Worked with professors to research the effects of nature and exercise on mental health/cognition.
Ran participants through voluntary exercise and surveys.
Statistically analyzed data.
Attended a health/wellness conference in Vancouver, Canada.
Pending publication.
Pros
Experience, academic environment, group effort.
Cons
not paid, temporary, teams of two receiving different grads for doing the same stuff.
Coordinator/ English lecturer II (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYNovember 2, 2015
I have worked at NKU for over 16 years and it has been a rewarding experience from working with the faculty, staff and students. It is a rewarding experience to help students succeed.
A lot to learn but a great benefit to those who are students
Coordinator - Online Learning (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYOctober 19, 2015
A typical day at work would begin anywhere between 7:30 and 8:15 and go until 4:30 or around 6pm.

In the current position I have learned to maintain databases, how to create reports and pull information from SAP, all while working with incoming prospective students.

The hardest part working at Northern Kentucky University is letting the prospective students who have attended for-profit schools know that the credit hours they have taken may not transfer into the school.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a prospective student through to graduation with their degree
Pros
Paid holidays, sick leave, great co-workers
Cons
Red tape politics
Working way through college
Student (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 16, 2015
I did many different things in college. I worked with the basketball team and traveled with them
I majored in Journalism and worked on the campus newspaper THE NORTHERNER.
I met a lot of great people there and enjoyed it.
Worked with my professor
Unity Developer (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 3, 2015
I worked from home on a project that lasted approximately 6 months as a student worker and was paid for my time. Although I did not remain an employee it was an overall enjoyable experience.
Housing is Awesome
Assignment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 22, 2015
Typical day at work was to assign students to resident halls. Provide assistance when needed and responsible for all billing and credits to student accounts.
Pros
free lunch, students keep you young
Fast Growing Progressive Institution
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland HeightsAugust 14, 2015
They are always attempting to innovate their process to be in step with the quickly advancing demands of the real world. I've watched them grow from a University dripping in ridicule to a legitimately respectable institution.
Pros
Ever moving into the future
Cons
Monetary restrictions are based on demand.
Great Student Work
Information Technology Senior Practicum (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 27, 2015
Great work environment where there are plenty of options to take off for exams or for personal reasons. I enjoyed working her while being a full-time undergraduate student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3