Northern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

ok
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  libraryNovember 11, 2017
Great experince . I learned alot with working with many indidivuals. I recommened NKU to anyone is who willing to learn and study with a very diverse group of people.
Pros
Not enough hours
Cons
flexible hours
A wonderful way to make money while attending NKU...
Certified Writing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYNovember 5, 2017
Working at the (then-named) Learning Assistance Programs in the campus writing center was one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever held. Assisting students with written work for various classes made me feel like I was making a tangible, positive difference in life, and ensuring that the students who utilized the service were engaging in positive on-campus experiences.

Management is hands-off enough to make you feel comfortable executing your job duties, yet they provide enough guidance and training so you never feel out of your depth so-to-speak. Pay isn't a whole lot to celebrate, and at times you will find yourself fighting for hours, but the work itself is highly rewarding. If you are looking for a job that provides an immediate feeling of satisfaction, there is no better job than working here.
Pros
Rewarding work; feeling of making a difference; relatively hands-off management
Cons
Pay not the greatest; no benefits; sometimes hard to get as many hours as desired to work
Good people to work with, Relaxed environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYOctober 12, 2017
Good place to work. Encouraging! Met different people and enjoy working with them.

Management helps you in every accept if you are eager to learn.

Pay is good.
A productive place to work with many benefits and challenging days that made it a fulfilling and rewarding place to be for the eight years!
Director-English as a Second Language Language (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYOctober 3, 2017
Northern Kentucky University is a great mid-sized university for all types of students and employees. Friendly and challenging, it was a joy to go to campus throughout the entire year, Autumn through Summer. It has a great diversity of people who enjoy learning and teaching with each other, and it never gets boring or routine. From academics to activities to sports and performances, it is a class university in an exciting part of the country, and I would recommend it to all types of students and educators!
Fun job with straight forward, flexible work day
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 13, 2017
Typical work day included helping students with their coursework and explaining difficult concepts to them while encouraging them to work on their own to solve difficult problems. The job was enjoyable because I got to help people achieve goals and learn effective ways to study.
Pros
Short work days, decent pay, fun
Cons
Few hours, temporary, can be stressful
Good place to work, but academic setting doesn't pay well.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 14, 2017
As Adjunct Faculty I didn't have a whole lot of daily contact. Adjuncts are dispensable, but the full time faculty and staff I worked with are good people.
Graduate Assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYAugust 6, 2017
I did a graduate assistantship at Northern Kentucky University, It was part of my master's program and was a part-time job. I still enjoyed the job during that short period.
Great Experiance
Student Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 1, 2017
Northern Kentucky Biology Department is a great place to work. The department provided me with skill sets to further my knowledge and future. Good work environment.
Pros
Great Work environment
NKU is a decent place to work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 19, 2017
NKU is not the best or worse university I have worked for. It can be great at times but there is a lot of politics involved. Which to some can be a major deterrence.
Culture always changing
Master advisor (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 18, 2017
We are currently in between presidents. Who knows what the culture will be when the next one comes on board. We are a rapidly growing institution with lots of changes in the future.
Pros
time off
Cons
too many silos, lack of communication down line
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Cold Spring, KYMay 17, 2017
NKU is very good at motivating students to get involved with school projects, and finding internships with local business. I would recommend that all students attending the college take advantage of these opportunities.
INSTRUCTOR AMERICAN ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 13, 2017
A Wonderful experience. The directors are fair and very respectful to their colleagues. The students are very bright and respectful as well. The work environment was very pleasant.
Pros
students, tuition waver
Cons
contract work
To learn about new music and the creative people that produce it.
Traffic Manager/ Membership Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 1, 2017
Wonderful experience that helped me to move from a temporary status to full time. A welcoming office that produced creative music and allowed me to meet those individuals.
Academic Review
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYApril 15, 2017
Working at NKU was a good teaching experience but like many institutions of higher learning funding and the age old predicament of quantity versus quality exists.
Student Worker
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYApril 6, 2017
As a student worker in the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, I enjoy interacting with students, working on projects, and giving presentations. My day to day experiences are one of a kind!
Pros
The work
Cons
Student employment
Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYApril 4, 2017
I was able to come in through the temporary service on campus and while I left before I was hired on full-time, things were in the works to bring me on full-time.
Pros
great people to work with - positive environment
Cons
as with any university, pay was not so great at entry-level
Management was Unfair
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 29, 2017
In my position I was never talked to or given a warning that I was doing something wrong, I was just let go. I only got to eat lunch when everyone else was done. I was never given a deadline on anything.
Pros
My own desk
Cons
Everything else
Low work moral
manager (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 26, 2017
The last 5 years have seen moral drop to an all time low. Numerous rounds of layoffs, limited resources, and senior management that do very little to support their employees. Talented workers that have been there for a long time keep getting recruited by other, higher paying and better supported organizations.
Awesome
Counseling Skill Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 18, 2017
NKU is a really great place and lives up to their promise of a private school quality education at an affordable public school price. The professors really care about the students and are willing to go above and beyond to support our needs.
Productive place, motivated for self-learning
Data Analyst and IT fellow (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMarch 8, 2017
It has a nice working environment for students. Got a chance for learning by doing.You can have a chance to try anything on your own way and find the best result so that you can improve yourself.