Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation Employee Reviews

A helping hand
Program Aide Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2018
I had the opportunity of doing my internship here and i had to say i had an amazing inside view of what it takes to run a corporation. This is the real deal. But as an inter you need to be ready to do a little bit of everything.
Productive Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
Working at the Northern Manhattan Improvement Center was a great time that allowed me to learn so much about the workplace and office environment. Without this internship I would not have known how important it is to work with others.
good place to work
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
Very tough training, but worth the skill. Learned a lot, and gained a lot of experience. Didn't like my boss but everyone else in agency was very pleasant to work with.
Very rewarding
Adult ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington Heights, NYSeptember 15, 2017
NMIC was rated the 2nd best settlement house in the state.
They provided a myriad of services to the local community that were necessary and irreplaceable.

I taught ESL and also the preparation for the citizenship exam to immigrant adults who worked and lived in the community. Their goals were to better themselves and gain opportunities with their new found skills.
Pros
Great work, pay, and management
Cons
Part time work /government funded program
Best place I have ever worked thus far!
Paralegal-Supervisor- Homelessness Prevention (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2017
I was hired to work for this company at a very young age and lasted there for eighteen years until I was laid off. The work was very demanding but assisting clients in saving their homes was worth every long working day. In addition, this organization had the best bosses ever!. I miss working at NMIC and wish them the very best.
Pros
Trustful bosses, no hassle
Cons
Non-profit, therefore, no job security
very fun place.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
this was one of my favorite jobs that i had. it was very fun and very busy sometimes but it was fun at the same time because i had a good relationship with my co worker and my manager.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
short breaks
Compensation is good; some staff are overworked, others are not.
Director of Development (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2017
Workers are appreciated, and there are good morale building events. Some depts are more organized than others;it depends on the funding and the requirements. If you are doing direct services for the most part you need to be bilingual or conversant in Spanish.
Very educative place to work
OFFICE INTERN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
I use to love this internship because it had to do with the enrollment of new student for GED. I use to send data to the Board of Education like absences.
Answering phones and answering question in regard to the programs, filling document, making copy, helping document for graduation day.
Pros
Educative place
Cons
It was just a intership
Great Place to Work
Immigration Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2017
Love it. Great people and environment. Though a lot of work sometimes. It taught me to be a better professional and to communicate better with people.
Fun workplace met a lot of great people amazing experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  45 Wadsworth AvenueJanuary 5, 2017
Great hours I really wish I could have stayed longer...
Was really fun working at the PAL on longwood ave I didn't get picked permanently because I didn't have my diploma but I'm in the process of getting it.
Non for Profit Community Sevice Organization
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation caters to a low income
demographic who need extra help in learning job preparation skills, as well as resume preparation and English literacy assistance.
Wonderful place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working here, everyone was very outgoing. Always had help when needed.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Internship. Was not long enogh to continue working there
youth build , educational , muilti reliable
Weatherization Laborer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2014
I attain my G.E.D from N.M.I.C and my OSHA , along side many skills .
A great place to get a future start .
NMIC was one of the best places to work.
Employment Services and Placement Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2014
As a former Employment Services and Placement Director, I must say that NMIC was a great place to work. I was given the opportunity to manage and implement new systems without micro-management, yet having a support system if needed. I was sadened to learn that most of the staff I had the pleasure of working with have moved on.

I was proud of the fact that NMIC clients/participants were given the services they came for, and I believe they were better for it upon their completion/departure.

I give NMIC and it's mission goals five stars!
Pros
Support when u need it, great benefits, and a place you were proud to work.
Cons
So much to do the day was not long enough! :-)
My Second Family
ESOL Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2013
Staff members as well as students on the fourth floor are amazing people!! It is a pleasure to work for the Adult Education Program. Supervisors and co-workers are always available to give you a hand or a valuable advise. Students show their gratitude every single day.
Pros
salary
Cons
seasonal
Very good benefits. Personal days, sick dates and vacation were great.
Case Manager/ Earn Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2012
I love to work there unfortunatly I was laid off because of funds.
But I enjoyed all my time. Trying to help people in many aspects.
Pros
nice co-workers all oriented to do the best
Cons
good benefits
Long periods of standing, environment neat and kept clean, worked in bad conditions
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2012
fast-paced and exhausting with sometimes no pay involved for the first week.
-Marketing and Promotions
-alright
-Working under very bad conditions with no benefits
-Going home after a long day with more determination to succeed
Pros
meeting musicians and important people
Cons
short breaks
A volatile place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  76 Wadsworth AvenueJuly 20, 2012
NMIC is not your typical work place if you have to report to the Director (She) is a tyrant that has not leadership skills or communication with certain staff members that have an opinion or their own thoughts. I worked for NMIC for a period of only 3 months before i decided to leave due to the Directors verbal abuse, No Leadership Skills, and Structure system, Which i got tired of and found another job and left. Also, if everyone is rendered powerless because everyone including HR has no power over this woman she can do no wrong there. She verbally abuses staff by stating in appropriate comments like " Are you stupid or something didn't you graduate from college"and other disrespectful comments. Basically the place is a dictatorship that is ran by her, and employees have no voice and just decide to leave.(Note their turn over rate is one of the highest when i decided to leave about 8 people had left before me) Only great part about that company is the benefit and certain staff members are very helpful. To Conclude, the Job Development Department has the highest turn over rate either they are fired or they quit because they cant take the abuse from the Director and also JD's are treated like they are at the bottom of the totem pole, but they are the money producers in that place.(JD's are lied to and told they will only deal with one population of candidates, but after hire they are told the truth that they will deal with 7 to 8 different programs with each program having totally different criteria's and goals. I am just informing you of the truth so if you are able to be verbally  more... abuse and insulted for no reason due to the fact the Director has real mental issues and needs medication or therapy then GOOD LUCK but i will never again work from an employer like this again in my life.  less
Pros
good benefits, helpful staff, great vacation and holidays
Cons
director is lonnie, verbally abusive and no work structure. no work structure
Emerging leadership Internship (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 18, 2012
Very tough training, but worth the skill. Learned alot, and gained alot of expirence, and at the end got a certificate for training accomplishment.
Pros
training with programs and doing stuff i love
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work.
Employmwnt Services Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2012
I worked with NMIC from year 2000 to 2007 in upper Manhattan (Washington Hts.), as a Program Director.

The experience was one of the best experiences due to the opportunities presented in addition to the competitive salaries and benefit package.

If you are a hard working individual who appreciates a company that appreciates loyalty, input, and accountability, this will be a great place work.
Pros
great team approach atmosphere, advancement opportunities, decent benefit package such as medical, optional dental plan, generous paid holidays, paid sick days