Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation

Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation Employer Reviews

youth build , educational , muilti reliable
Weatherization Laborer (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 15, 2014
I attain my G.E.D from N.M.I.C and my OSHA , along side many skills .
A great place to get a future start .
NMIC was one of the best places to work.
Employment Services and Placement Director (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: support when u need it, great benefits, and a place you were proud to work.
Cons: so much to do the day was not long enough! :-)
As a former Employment Services and Placement Director, I must say that NMIC was a great place to work. I was given the opportunity to manage and implement new systems without micro-management, yet having a support system if needed. I was sadened to learn that most of the staff I had the pleasure of working with have moved on.

I was proud of the fact that NMIC clients/participants were given the services they came for, and I believe they were better for it upon their completion/departure.

I give NMIC and it's mission goals five stars!
My Second Family
ESOL Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 28, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: seasonal
Staff members as well as students on the fourth floor are amazing people!! It is a pleasure to work for the Adult Education Program. Supervisors and co-workers are always available to give you a hand or a valuable advise. Students show their gratitude every single day.
Very good benefits. Personal days, sick dates and vacation were great.
Case Manager/ Earn Benefits Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2012
Pros: nice co-workers all oriented to do the best
Cons: good benefits
I love to work there unfortunatly I was laid off because of funds.
But I enjoyed all my time. Trying to help people in many aspects.
Long periods of standing, environment neat and kept clean, worked in bad conditions
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2012
Pros: meeting musicians and important people
Cons: short breaks
fast-paced and exhausting with sometimes no pay involved for the first week.
-Marketing and Promotions
-alright
-Working under very bad conditions with no benefits
-Going home after a long day with more determination to succeed
A volatile place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee), 76 Wadsworth AvenueJuly 20, 2012
Pros: good benefits, helpful staff, great vacation and holidays
Cons: director is lonnie, verbally abusive and no work structure. no work structure
NMIC is not your typical work place if you have to report to the Director (She) is a tyrant that has not leadership skills or communication with certain staff members that have an opinion or their own thoughts. I worked for NMIC for a period of only 3 months before i decided to leave due to the Directors verbal abuse, No Leadership Skills, and Structure system, Which i got tired of and found another job and left. Also, if everyone is rendered powerless because everyone including HR has no power over this woman she can do no wrong there. She verbally abuses staff by stating in appropriate comments like " Are you stupid or something didn't you graduate from college"and other disrespectful comments. Basically the place is a dictatorship that is ran by her, and employees have no voice and just decide to leave.(Note their turn over rate is one of the highest when i decided to leave about 8 people had left before me) Only great part about that company is the benefit and certain staff members are very helpful. To Conclude, the Job Development Department has the highest turn over rate either they are fired or they quit because they cant take the abuse from the Director and also JD's are treated like they are at the bottom of the totem pole, but they are the money producers in that place.(JD's are lied to and told they will only deal with one population of candidates, but after hire they are told the truth that they will deal with 7 to 8 different programs with each program having totally different criteria's and goals. I am just informing you of the truth so if you are able to be verbally abuse and insulted for no reason due to the fact the Director has real mental issues and needs medication or therapy then GOOD LUCK but i will never again work from an employer like this again in my life.
Emerging leadership Internship (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYApril 18, 2012
Pros: training with programs and doing stuff i love
Cons: short breaks
Very tough training, but worth the skill. Learned alot, and gained alot of expirence, and at the end got a certificate for training accomplishment.
Great place to work.
Employmwnt Services Director (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 3, 2012
Pros: great team approach atmosphere, advancement opportunities, decent benefit package such as medical, optional dental plan, generous paid holidays, paid sick days
I worked with NMIC from year 2000 to 2007 in upper Manhattan (Washington Hts.), as a Program Director.

The experience was one of the best experiences due to the opportunities presented in addition to the competitive salaries and benefit package.

If you are a hard working individual who appreciates a company that appreciates loyalty, input, and accountability, this will be a great place work.