Northern Michigan University

Northern Michigan University Employer Reviews

A challenging yet rewarding mix of people and events.
retired (Former Employee), Marquette, MIAugust 16, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: having to plow my 1/2 mile driveway before going to work in winter
NMU...day shift started at 5 a.m. and you had 2 1/2 hrs. to get your area ready for the public. You might have to cover for one or more other employees not at work, with the same 2 1/2 hr. deadline. I learned to be efficient yet thorough. Management was helpful and co-workers could be helpful. The hardest part of the job were employees, staff who had difficult personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job was having our work appreciated by staff/students/public.
Fun and relaxes place to work
Credit analyst (Current Employee), Marquette MichiganJune 12, 2014
A typical day of work consists of analyzing a companies tax return as well as business plans. Checking to see if they are able to sustain the debt that they are requesting and if they are not what options they have and how we can help.

I have learned a lot about not for profit alternative lenders like Northern Initiatives. I have learned what banks and lenders are looking for in terms of profitability and management.

The hardest part about my job is when a client has let their business fall so far that it is impossible to save. And when that happens we have to collect on their collateral.

The most rewarding part of my job is to help lenders find a great business plan and help the business grow and become immensely successful.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee), Marquette, MIJune 4, 2014
Easy work, just needed to get your job duties done. Great people to work with and had a great time. Student job so it was easy to coordinate hours.
University.
Teaching Assistant/Student (Former Employee), Marquette, MIMay 10, 2014
The class and clinic schedule was well organized. Forty plus hours per week on top of homework and class time.
Coordinate and collaborate oral histories for archival placement.
History Office Assistant (CUPS) (Former Employee), Marquette, MIMay 4, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: temporary
Review completed files and prepare transfer from history office to the university archives.
average job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Marquette, MIApril 19, 2014
Good starting point for becoming a professor or in a leadership position.

It was an interesting opportunity that became a part time job position
University
Student (Current Employee), Marquette, MIMarch 31, 2014
I loved it here. My advisor was the best and couldn't have asked for more.
Very laid back environment with very general office duties.
Work study student (Former Employee), Marquette, MIJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: very flexible hours to fit in with my class hours.
Cons: could only work part-time for a little more than minimum wage.
The two jobs that I worked at NMU were very similar except that they were in very different fields. The job at the Collision and Repair Technology Department was general office work while the job in the Sociology Department was less office work and more data entry and proofreading. I was also required to take and send orders for films. I learned general office skills from both of these jobs. I didn't have coworkers in either of these jobs. The hardest job performed in the Collision Repair Technology Department was putting together a proposal for a new curriculum. The hardest part of the Sociology Department job was the proofreading and formatting of a book authored by the Department Head. Both of these "hardest parts" were also the most enjoyable.
Teaching upcoming students skills that are useful
Solidworks Tutor (Current Employee), Marquette, MIJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: helping others to gain tools needed for work environment
Cons: teaching the students more than the professor!
Northern Michigan University is very understanding and flexible with working hours. Getting the chance to pass on invaluable knowledge of SolidWorks skills is a humbling experience
Enjoyable campus with productive and passionate professors
Chemistry Stockroom Employee (Former Employee), Marquette, MIDecember 27, 2013
Working within the Chemistry Department of Northern Michigan University was a very rewarding experience. I thoroughly enjoyed walking into the department on a daily basis for work in the chemical stockroom and organic research with my professor. Everyone was very passionate and dedicated to chemistry with pervasive positive energy. I hope to find another team of chemists with the same energy to work along side with to gain more experience in the field.
Tutoring NMU
Tutor (Former Employee), Marquette, MINovember 11, 2013
Flexible hours and great environment. The pay wasn't great and there were no benefits though.
Great job while going to school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Marquette, MINovember 5, 2013
I loved this job. I had my duties and dealt with customers and I was under minimal supervision.
Professionals with high academic standards
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Marquette, MIOctober 28, 2013
Sport Science program of NMU is geared for excellence in the field of research and innovation. Professors and students alike are challenged by the demands of the health field but meet the demands. If you are looking for a higher education degree which you will learn your field pursue NMU's sport science program. The most enjoyable part of the job was the seriousness of the faculty and their integrity in research.
Fun and very productive workplace where excellence is key.
Ground Maintenance (Former Employee), Marquette, MIOctober 16, 2013
Pros: 8 hour days, done by 3:15 so i had the entire afternoon to do what i wanted.
Cons: picking up co-workers slack
During the summer months the day starts at 6:45 a.m. and goes until 3:15 p.m. Over the course of the job I learned the importance of taking pride in your work, and also general maintenance both with lawn care and with the equipment we used to perform the lawn maintenance. Management was excellent, my supervisor in particular made the job very easy, explaining the tasks to be performed thoroughly before each work day started. My co-workers I felt were sometimes a little lazy and I had to pick up the slack quite often, but I didn't mind that as long as the job got done. The work they did do however, was quality work. The hardest part of the job was probably sodding; the process of cutting, rolling, moving, and replanting the sod was a very tedious and strenuous job, especially on a hot summer's day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun we had during the course of the job. Although it was a lot of physical work, the group dynamics brought to the table by everyone made for an enjoyable work day.
Graduate Assistant/Tight End Coach (Former Employee), Marquette, MIOctober 2, 2013
Pros: the job
Cons: the weather
Tough place to live
Great place to coach
Excellent employer
Associate Athletic Director of Business Operations (Former Employee), Marquette, MIAugust 5, 2013
Learn the majority of my skill and developed under leadership in a structured educational environment.
A typical office
Student Secretary (Former Employee), Marquette, MIMay 22, 2013
Pros: can do homework, easy job, simple tasks
Cons: boring days, slow
My typical day at work consisted of listening to students complain about share fees that they had to pay for their art classes, making appointments for them with their personal advisors, and typing syllabi and attendance for many professors. The job was quite tedious, and most of the time I did my homework, and was bored. I've learned that I need to have a job where I'm on my feet and constantly doing something, sitting behind a desk is not for me. My co-workers, and management were absolutely awesome! The hardest part of the job was how boring and slow the days were, but then again, that was also the most enjoyable part. I enjoyed being able to do my homework at work so that I would not have any to do after work!
i enjoy working with all the students , I learned alot from it .
Math Lab Tutor (Former Employee), Marquette, MIApril 29, 2013
Pros: it was so enjoyable to work there.
Cons: i had the job just for a little while.
The staff and students were just so good to work with. If I didn't have to move back down home , I think that i would still be working there.
Laid back environment that enables dynamic thought and understanding off all viewpoints
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Marquette, MIApril 1, 2013
A typical day consists of completing lesson plans and grading in one's office with clerical help from the professional and student secretaries. This is a job that requires self-motivation as no supervisor exists. The hardest part of this job is dealing with individuals that do not care about their education while the most rewarding part of the job is those that take your expertise and use it to better themselves and future careers.
Northern Michigan is a great work experience
Department/Student Aide (Former Employee), Marquette, MIFebruary 11, 2013
My time working for Northern Michigan University was an interesting one. I got to work in the Speech Clinic and see how it is run from the inside. I also got to help professors plan course lectures and grade some of their tests. The real world experience was great and the professors were very knowledgeable. I only wish they could have kept their graduate program for speech disorders. I would have remained there forever if given the opportunity.