Northern Michigan University Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Food Service Worker II (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 9, 2017
It isn't a bad place to work for the benefits received. I personally don't care for working at all. The pay is decent and even temporary work is beneficial if seeking full-time employment down the road.
Great experience to learn
Computer Specialist, Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIOctober 23, 2017
Great experience to learn at NMU. Even if you aren't familiar with the work you may perform everyone is willing to help out and teach you. Very nice people to work with.
Each department has its own work culture, and I can not speak for all.
Reference Librarian (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIOctober 10, 2017
Ultimately, work cultures change with the people who work in them. NMU is a dynamic institution that grows and develops according to the people who come and go.
Pros
NMU instituted a dynamic culture of change with the lap top initiative.
Cons
Ultimately, work culture is what one brings to the equation. Most of the people at NMU were professional, hard working folks.
Great work and resume opportunities for students
Managing Editor - The North Wind Student Newspaper (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 8, 2017
Worked on campus while earning my four-year degree. NMU provides a great atmosphere for students to learn, work, and broaden perspectives. The colleagues I have had the privilege of working with over the years remain some of my closest friends, and my years of NMU work have created a resume that I truly enjoy showing off. I worked at The North Wind, an independent student newspaper that is published weekly throughout the school year, and put in many long nights, seen tears and laughs, and was overall a memorable experience that defined my college years.
Pros
Great people, great resume builder
Cons
Long hours to balance with college
Quality.
Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 28, 2017
This university provides quality education delivered by qualified and passionate professors. The work environment is fantastic as are the students. I loved it!
Fast-paced with friendly co-workers but horrible customers
Computing Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 21, 2017
The job is just sitting at a desk and helping students and staff members fix software or networking issues on their computers. Dealing with students is usually a positive experience and some staff are also positive but when retirees come in or some older staff come in they are generally negative and cause anxiety and anger in those who are trying to help them by scolding us or complaining needlessly while we are working to get a fix, which is normally quite easy. The work is pretty easy as we only operate on university issues computers so they are all the same devices and work with the same programs and the same issues are dealt with on a daily basis making fixing them quite easy.
It offered wonderful teaching experience, but I felt the politics of academia interfered with the work.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 11, 2017
While teaching at NMU, I had wonderful students and grew tremendously as an educator. However, the department I worked in was filled with internal drama which detracted from a positive experience. Also, NMU has one of the lowest TA compensation packages in the country.
Fun Most of the Time
TV Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 10, 2017
Once trained a typical day was independent and fun. Everything runs on a schedule and that made the job was much easier. Plus, there would be live shows filmed downstairs that you would run the computer systems for. Your name got to scroll in the credits after the show.
Pros
Behind the Scenes, work independently
Cons
closed air circulation, constant hum from the computers
Educational workplace
Physics Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJune 3, 2017
A typical day involved the processing of samples and the preparation of that weeks labs for undergraduates. Learned a number of on-the-job fixes for a mass spectrometer my supervisor was fine tuning for his work. Left largely on my own, I had to create labs to satisfy a number of professors ideas, on the fly if need be.
Pros
flexible schedule
Outstanding experience.
Intramural Official/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  1401 Presque Isle Avenue Marquette, MI 49855May 22, 2017
My experience with the REC/ Intramural department at Northern Michigan University was amazing. I developed many people skills that are going to help me for many years in my future. I developed many relationships working with the intramural department.
Pros
Worked around school schedule.
Cons
Low hours.
Low pay, easy work
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIMay 15, 2017
The job itself was easy. I am a student and was looking for something laid back to help pay the bills. Pay is bad, but for such an easy job, it is hard to complain. Plenty of hours.
Awesome Work Place
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIApril 26, 2017
Loved coming to work everyday. Always getting to meet new people and the opportunity to influence incoming students decisions for after high school is fun and meaningful.
A desk job
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIApril 9, 2017
It was an excellent employment opportunity. I was given a first hand account of how the university interacted with others. On the whole i would reccomend this job to anyone seeking employment while going to school.
Pros
Plenty of downtime.
Cons
None i can think of.
Work Study
Student Curation Manager (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MI 49855April 5, 2017
Good extra income for the full-time student. Can't work over 20 hours. The jobs available here are simple and work around your class schedule. I heard IT is pretty rough, though.
Productive climbling school certificate program
Student (Current Employee) –  Gwinn, MIMarch 14, 2017
• Construct electrical transmissions systems.
• Climb towers and poles.
• Identify substation components
• Operate electrical power distribution systems.
Not recommended
Math Professor (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIMarch 1, 2017
This university does not focus on students or learning. It focuses on infrasturcture, expanse building, etc. at a high cost to students. A large number of faculty have been laid off and they force students to takr online courses at a higher rate. There are few course sections to choose for which fill rapidly for critical courses causing students to delay their graduation for years, again at serious expense to the students. I would not send my child here.
Pros
Cons
many, see below
Great for students
HelpDesk Associate (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIFebruary 6, 2017
This was a job I had as a student. You were able to choose your own schedule and they were flexible if you needed time off or to change your schedule. During down times you were allowed to study or listen to music on headphones/earbuds. Everyone was very nice.
Good part-time student job
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 6, 2017
This job was part-time working maximum of 13 hours per week. I would monitor class lectures, exams, tutor students and occasionally give mock presentations on various topics. The most important aspect of this job title was holding review sessions prior to each exam in a lecture hall--further explaining and in some cases reteaching the material to the students in a manner that they could relate to to further their understanding.
A good on-campus part-time job
Technical Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 5, 2017
During this job you'll learn useful computer troubleshooting skills and if you start early enough into your college career you'll be making a few dollars more than minimum wage during you're last few semesters.
Pros
Learn important skills, Do homework on the job, Fun environment
Required work study, but was a simple job.
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIDecember 15, 2016
You do have to keep track of the students, but as long as you are doing rounds, you will fulfill what they want of you. You work alone and that can be a pro or a con. You can get some work done or get some reading in. Of course, if anything does go down it becomes your responsibility, but nothing extreme ever happened on my shifts.
Pros
Time to study while making money, simple
Cons
A bit cramped, hard to get a lot of hours