Northern Tier Energy Employee Reviews

No room for growth and gets bought out every few years
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNAugust 11, 2017
The company has no room for growth and gets bought out every few years so no one gets to stay long and all are swapped out. This makes the work environment very unstable and not worth working for.
Great place to work for
Welder (Current Employee) –  St. Paul Park, MNAugust 3, 2017
I have learned a lot from my job. It's a great company to work for. There is great opportunity to grow within the company. I enjoy going to work each day.
Very busy with opportunities for over time.
Tech Support Engieer II (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNNovember 3, 2016
This was a call center, and a new one, which had no call switch so who answered calls was on a scouts honor basis. There was no official ticketing system at the time I worked there, which gradually improved over time.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
No accountability with who was taking calls
Human Resources with a vengance.
Plant Employee (Former Employee) –  St. Paul ParlSeptember 17, 2015
Co-workers were great! Management was very inexperienced and made very poor decisions. Staff was over worked and under paid
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Human Resources runs the plant and is running it into the ground.
A company to work for
Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at NTE could vary from level 1 to level 3 support. We supported Super America gas station's point of sale, receipt printers, cash drawers, back office computer, printers, network, password reset, username lookup, fuel pump controllers, car wash, sending out techs to fix a variety of things.

I learned how to troubleshoot, reset fuel pump controllers, navigating through their tree knowledgebase, and how to use their ticketing system.

Management was great. a friendly environment. Also resourceful and helpful

Co-workers were simple to work with and very supportive. Knowledgeable and eagerness to help me get up to speed.

Hardest part about the job was training in to become the only person working overnight, troubleshooting fuel pumps and fuel pump controllers.

Most things are enjoyable with the correct mindset.
Pros
lunch room with a mini cafetieria, free coffee
Cons
Zero budget for IT
The company does not focus on employee satisfaction
Retail Management (Former Employee) –  Twin cities areaJanuary 12, 2015
Retail management consists of following antiquated procedures with mostly non working software. The pay is on the low side for the type of work that's done. The expectations are high while the upper management style is very reactive and does not give the employees the tools needed to be successful.They think everyone is stealing from them. I have seen people being fired "to make an example out of them" several times which leads to poor employee moral. Extremely high expectations without the support of the corporate office. The communication between all departments is severely lacking. A terrible place to work!!
Pros
Great benefits packages
Cons
Constrictive atmosphere, no job security, no focus on employee satisfaction.
It's always good to step out of the confort zone and learn
Project Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul Park, MNDecember 9, 2014
The people in the workplace are intelligent, smart and caring. An excellent team to work with, I have learned so much during my career and will continue to be greatful to have had this opportunity to have worked with amazing key people. The hardest part of the job is that there were challenges, but not challenges that weren't unreachable, there were obstacles that made it impossible. I wish I would have had more opportunity to challenge myself to make my position rewarding. My ideas were excellent and if I could have had the chance would have been great.
Pros
Good personnel to work with
Cons
Too many obstacles
Used to be a good driving job not anymore
Crude hauler (Former Employee) –  Stanley North DakotaSeptember 11, 2014
Northern tier used to be a good company. . Now they have cut the days you can work reducing the money you can make . They took a company that treated and paid drivers great and turned it into the lowest yearly paying job in the Bakken . I left for a better job when the new management came in and cut the pay .
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Earning potential cut to nothing .
the people made it feel like family
Vacancy Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul Park, MNJune 26, 2014
a typical day consisted of a shift meeting. followed by myself looking over my crews workload. trying to figure out where my assistance would be needed most and to for see any red flagged tasks need to be overlooked before going forward with. when filling in for a vacancy
product movement and quality control checks would be done. assist with contractors and maintenance. when new operators came in I was the trainer for the dept. and would train up to 4 different jobs and possibly 2 employees at a time. the hardest part of the job was getting projects that weren't planned well. that's when you had to start from scratch to get them done.
Pros
going home the same way i went to work
Cons
losing a good friend at work
Overall good place to work.
Senior Accountant / AR Supervisor Backup (Current Employee) –  St Paul ParkMarch 25, 2014
Communication between departments is lacking. Management is poor in certain departments, tend to fire you if you worked for the old company Marathon.
Consultants / Contractors
Consultant (Former Employee) –  woodbury, mnDecember 5, 2013
Management has a mindset to treat I.T. Consultants like Refinery Contractors. That will get an scar an Oracle Shop in a negative way around the Twin City Oracle Apps / I.T. network.
Pros
compensation, employees
Cons
lack outside-the-box thinking, marketing on Super America retail side....non-refinery driven management, leardership is generally from Texas or out East
The beatings will continue until moral improves
Field operator Northern Tier refinery (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 8, 2013
One of the worst...on second thought, THE worst managed companies I have ever worked for. There have been so many people fired and others that have left because of the strict iron handed methods of management and HR. And I'm talking about people that have years of experience.

It used to be a great place to work, now with the new owners and management not so much.
Pros
Excellent pay, schedule
Cons
Management, Hr
Productive company moving forward in todays technology.
Refinery Operator (Current Employee) –  ST. Paul Park, MNAugust 31, 2013
I am happy with this company, I am looking to move back to Hazen North Dakota where I was born.
Pros
Positive
Cons
strict
Easy Place to Work,
CAPITAL PROJECT ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 19, 2012
Excellent mgmt style
Strong work/life balance policy
Excellent opportunity for advancement and growth
Pros
work / life balance, easy management style
Cons
sometimes overwhelming, due to work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Tier Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8