Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool + Equipment Employee Reviews in United States

Very nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FL 32904April 27, 2016
Company emphasized that cashiers are the face of the company since we are the first people that each customer sees therfore we must represent the company properly. They follow all state and federal rules when it comes to breaks and leave time. The hardest part of the job was trying not to be overwhelmed at the register while dealing with a disgruntled customer and having many other customers behind that person in line. The most enjoyable was that most employees where super friendly and willing to help when you needed it.
Pros
Employee discount on tools
Cons
Company Healthcare is not available till they make you a full time employee in thier system, Even if you have been working full time, You must have that title (FULLTIME) in their system to be eligable for healthcare
If you just want a paycheck...
Operations Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 4, 2016
This is a company with a good business history but as far as working for them, the management and the morale among the associates is heavily low rated.
Pros
Early schedule
Worst Job I ever had
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLFebruary 10, 2016
So glad I don't work there anymore. Drama-Drama-Drama !!! Hours suck. Treated badly. Manager has no control and doesn't want too.People leaving left and right. In the 1 1/2 yr. I was there. I saw atleast 20 leave and most don't bother coming back so you are short a co-worker. Never knew what your hrs. would be for the next week. That drove me crazy. Then only half hour lunches for even on 9 hr. days.
Pros
Was close to home
Cons
The Drama
Store Service Technician
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 23, 2016
Overall job was satisfying, great communication through employee structure, family feeling, workload not constant, enabling to catch up on shop clean, warehouse organization, store sales was allowed. Filled in on floor when shorthanded, time permitted. Some training thru class or webinars. Had ability to control own inventory, and assembled own equipment and test for customer. Supplied tools and equipment to complete work efficiently. Good benefits at the time, medical, dental, vision, 401k with company matching. Management always available for assistance. Vacation scheduling easy. No driving.!!!
Pros
Good pay, good working environment, not so stressfull, leave job going home.
Cons
Coudl be overwhelming at times of crisis, one tech per store, maybe a parts person.
Review Summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAJanuary 16, 2016
Its a job you can not move up in. great people but if you do good in something, then you might as well plant you seed right in that very position.
Decent place to work, for a while
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2016
I enjoyed working at Northern Tool for the most part, just had some occasions when the upper management was less then responsive to the efforts of the employees making the business work.
Pros
The corporate personnel were very good people, very hard workers, enthusiastic and good people.
Cons
upper management
Do Not Work Here!
Inbound Sales (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNNovember 13, 2015
Poor management, their managers will talk poorly about you to other employees. Zero positive training. Fear driven sales from management. Very low morale among employees.
Unfair sales practices. They sell a $40 a year renewable Hotline membership to customers that allows them preferred priceing and free shipping on hundreds of items. Here's the catch though, if a customer doesn't mention the membership, or maybe they forgot it's been renewing, you are not allowed, per ownership, to give them the perks that they've been paying for. I saw customers that had been renewed for five yea s at $40 a year and had no clue this was happening.
The unhappiest place I've ever worked at.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, forced overtime, poor ownership and management.
I close to often
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Buford, GANovember 7, 2015
For quality of life for a single father Northern Tool has not been kind. I close 3 nights a week and most weekends. They allow no entrepreneurial thinking and are very set in their ways.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
schedule
Voulteering
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 6, 2015
Show Up
Go to designated area that you volunteer in.
provide community service.
Meet and Greet patients.
Deliver Food.
Pros
Free Lunch
Fast Growing Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 1, 2015
Fast growing with great opportunities. Still seems to have a family first mentality. Always maintains their Core Values.
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNOctober 21, 2015
Learning a lot and meeting new people. We got to working with the customers on what their projects needed for tools. The people that work there are very helpful and nice. If you don't know how to do something then you can ask and someone will help you.
friendly coworkers
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  RICHMOND, VAOctober 14, 2015
good hours for retail.variety of products,interaction with customers is fulfilling.seasonal products brings in new cusumers on a regular basis company keeps personal at bare minimum .always more to do than time to do it in
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
hours
fun
Product Placement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLOctober 6, 2015
a typical day as a product placement specialist was to take out merchandise to the sales and unload the truck whenever we received it
Good place
Cashier / Customer Service / Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Salem, VASeptember 10, 2015
Good company. Good management. Would still be there if not for business slow down. I liked all fellow co-workers and management.
All about money
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  HoustonSeptember 2, 2015
Don't let the hype of being a good solid family oriented company. In the year I worked there it was all about "what can you do for me and make me money". All the mangers did was push for SPP's and anything extra you could sell to make them look good. And whatever you do don't start being a top producer in sales, then they will want you to include the CSR and give him credit for your sales.
Pros
Have some decent products to sell
Cons
Managers only looking out for themselves
Great Job with a good work/life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Meadows Place, TXSeptember 1, 2015
I am a cashier at NTE. I must say I love my job. I think my co workers and the customers make it enjoyable. A typical day at work is doing the daily opening procedures i.e., counting the drawers, getting paperwork ready, opening the point of sales systems. You encounter a wide variety of customers throughout the day and you start to genuinely care for these people. They become sort of family since you see them so frequently. The hardest part of the day is trying to please the upper heads lol. Getting prepared for a corporate visit is stressful for everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job is the bond I have with my co workers and customers. We are a family and at the end of the day that's what makes my job as fantastic as it is.
Pros
great starting rate
Cons
unrealistic expectations from corporate
Poorly Managed
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 28, 2015
Poor management skills, lack of discipline of current employees from management. They are all about numbers and meeting goals. Management shows favortism!
Love/ Hate
Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort WorthJune 16, 2015
The company has a terrible structure and questionable work ethic. I loved my job because a few of my co-workers, and frequent customers. There are a lot of empty promises thrown around much too often.
Exciting place to work with multiple task to complete daily
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJune 2, 2015
My typical day of work is coming in each day to retrieve my scanner to scan totes that have been picked by associates for customers for shipment. I scan each item, which the computer will tell me if the incorrect product is inside of the totes. Incorrect product picked will be placed on the side for Quality Assurance to recheck. I will have to maintain a 100 percent weekly for production.
Low wages, over worked sales and customer service teams
Customer Service and Technical Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMay 29, 2015
One of the worst places I have ever worked. I stuck with this company for two years. its a billion dollar corporation, yet after two years I was required to answer over 400 calls a week, takes technical support calls with little to no training, work mandatory overtime during the holiday and deal with the WORST customers ever. The health insurance benefits were ok. On Christmas, while you're working the phones and participating mandatory overtime, the call center manager walks around and hands everyone cheap bars of chocolates and $5, yes FIVE DOLLAR gift certificates to target as a thank you. Talk about a SLAP in the face. Raises given were insulting. I was only making about .60 more an hour two years later.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Low wages, over worked