Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool + Equipment Employer Reviews

worst job I ever had
cashier (Former Employee), Ocala, FLJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: there is no pros
Cons: raises are an insult
I worked at Northern Tool in Florida and yes , my co-workers were happy to see me when I walked in, that was because they had enough and was ready to leave. No one really cared about any employees. The managers liked you as long as you came in to cover someone's shift. When it came time to promote you, it didn't happen. Pay was crappie, raises were an insult. This was the worst job I ever had. I gave no notice when I left because they didn't deserve one and I would never work there again.
hard work and no appreciaton
stocker and Forklift Driver (Former Employee), Mesquite, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: learned how to drive a forklift
Cons: managers
no matter how hard you worked the manager never gave you a "hey you're doing good, keep up the hard work". The managers were always late. I opened so I was scheduled to go in at 6:00 AM and I cant tell you how many times I sat out there from anywhere from 20 mins-1 hour. Waiting for a manager to get there to open the store.
Loved my Co-workers
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee), Asheville, NCNovember 25, 2014
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the management. I would run the cash register, out the stock up, and sale the equipment.
Lead Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Burnsville, MNNovember 18, 2014
A typical day at work is usually busy and helping a lot of customers. I have learned more patience and stronger organizational skills. The hardest part of my day would have to be some customers, however through my years of experience I have learned how to keep myself composed and effectively help the customer. The most enjoyable part of my job is also the customers and getting to interact with a variety of people.
first experience in a warehouse
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCNovember 4, 2014
Pros: good hours, pay and benefits
Cons: installed new system that cost many employees their jobs
just go in and get to work
how to operate Crown and Raymond lift trucks
friendly and respectful
got along great
making production
learning an entirely new trade
Call Center Oppotunity in High Volume Customer Service Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Burnsville, MNOctober 26, 2014
Pros: learning opportunities in sales and the construction field.
Cons: little room for advancement, overly micromanaged, the orders entry database.
As a customer service representative, I was responsible for providing customers with excellent service entering, returning, or exchanging orders within Northern Tool's own database.
fun place with great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 13, 2014
awesome environment to work at, very personable, added commission helps push employees to work harder
Company that is trying to expand without changing
Service Technician (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDOctober 11, 2014
Northern Started as a family owned company and they are trying to keep that. Unfortunately as they grow the idea isnt working that well anymore
Very fast paced environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Marietta, GASeptember 19, 2014
Retail can be very fast paced and demanding. I enjoy management and had a great time managing the store.
constant pushing from management
Customer Service/Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: training, breaks
Cons: no benifets
you get training from the training store to do it the northern way, each store is in competition with each other to get their numbers.
ok
machinest (Former Employee), Mio, MIJuly 31, 2014
was not a bad place to work management was ok i liked my co workers
always busy whitch I like and a set schedule
Customer Service Rep/Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), Burnsville, MNJuly 27, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: people you work with were not helpful or friendly
Answering phone for customer care and support. When I was a floor supervisor it was a good feeling to know you could help others. I learned patience and communication skills. The biggest issue I had was the lack of the managements help. I enjoyed the fact that when you could help a customer with thier concerns it was a good feeling after you hung up the call with them.
A summer job
Cashier (Former Employee), VAJuly 9, 2014
I worked a summer job at Northern Tool - it wasn't bad. There was more respect than at a traditional big-box store.
Not a company to commit to as a career
Shipper (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCJune 28, 2014
Pros: dinners and giveaways
Cons: bad benefits, unclean, unloyal, and bad health regulations
There are no chances given for employees to advance at anytime. The company shows no remorse for a second chance at employment for the rest of your life. You are bound to hard work and very little pay and respect from this company no matter how much of a good worker you are.
highest paying retail job yet.
Customer service (Current Employee), floridaJune 28, 2014
Pros: high pay
Cons: disciplinary action unnecessarily
At first the company had many benefits for all levels of employees, but recently cut them for part time employees to nothing. You get in trouble for not getting a phone number at the end of transactions, because it is your fault when a customer does not feel obligated to give it to you. The tracking of their one more sales items and their phone capture system is absurd. To go as far as writing a disciplinary notice for an employee for not being forceful enough to get a phone number or the one more sale (which are useless items that no one needs frequently) is preposterous.
Non Supportive Management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), TXJune 26, 2014
Cons: long hours, low pay, questionable practice on use of time off.
Pay is low and sneaky with use of vacation time. I was salary and scheduled for 10 hour shifts. When using floating holidays I was charged for 8 hours which was fine. For vacation days I was charged 10 hours. Which means 80 hours of vacation time, normally 10 days, is only 8 days.

Upper management quick to criticize but not provide guidance.

Not a whole lot of work-life balance even though the company says it supports it. Not a well run organization.
Good customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Fern Park, FLJune 13, 2014
Sales, Customer service, they offer training on equipment, good co-workers,
Good hours
order puller (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJune 12, 2014
Pros: overall good placo work
Cons: raises suck
great place to work, hours are great, people are friendly, the work is not difficult or long awn out hours, supervisors are down to earth.
Cashier (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 11, 2014
Pros: you get 2 fifteen minute breaks and 1 thirty minute break. pay is decent. positive workers.
I personally enjoyed this job. The customers and Employees were great. Positive job and up going people. The work can get frustrating and can become a struggle but its worth it. The management was good and fun.
Good place to work if you dont mind orders
Sales | Product Placement Specialist (Former Employee), VirginiaMay 16, 2014
Pros: store location, flexible hours
Cons: certain managers do basically nothing, pay, coperate sucks
I worked here for a great amount of time and quite a number of things stood out to me. Store Managers get bonuses so they don't mind keeping the heat low in the winter or shortening your hourly paycheck, because it will reflect in theirs. Your position in the store will get lengthened without compensating, like filling in for salesmen without getting commission, or scrubbing shelves while the other employees work around you, just to name a few examples. The pay for the product placement is very low granted they do most of the hard work (no product no sale). Overall the company means well for the overall dollar (tool products) not the overall person because the "store rules don't apply to everyone." If you're a manager this is heaven.

1 2 3 4 5

About Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool + Equipment has been a supplier of high-quality tools and equipment for more than 26 years, selling products through – Read more

Northern Tool + Equipment Salaries