Northern Trust Corp.

Northern Trust Corp. Employee Reviews

Productive environment
Technical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
I've been in the banking industry for many years and I have worked the front line of check processing and moved on to managing a team of reconcilers at various banks. The team balances general ledgers related to loans, domestic and international banking. In this role what I learned is the importance of teamwork to benefit the team as well as for the division to meet established goals.

I have worked with management for many years and I have adapted to all sorts of management styles. The hardest part of my job is not seeing the staff meet their goals. The most enjoyable part is meeting goals and being able to celebrate the success with the team.

I chaired a Diversity and Inclusion team for a few years where we celebrated cultural differences and became educated in them.
Pros
Rewards, recognition and celebrations
Cons
Long hours during peak times.
Review of Northern Trust
Corporate actions analyst- Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2016
My experience with Northern Trust was not a good one. The hours were very long and the manager I worked under was not a good leader of subordinates. A typical work day lasted about 10 to 11 hours daily. The hardest part of the job was completing tasks in a timely manner. There was no team work within the corporate actions unit in the hedge fund division of the bank.
Pros
easy commute
Cons
long hours daily
Overall a great place to work
HR Recruiting Coordinator - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Honestly, if my contracting assignment had not ended I would love to stay there. Very organized and professional environment. Very competitive but over great team dynamic.
Pros
They are very fond of happy hours when things are good
Productive and fun work place that promotes growth and opportunities.
Training Associate Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 24, 2015
I enjoy a work place that promotes growth and opportunities. Northern Trust is great company to work for. The coworkers are great to work with.
A Solid Company
Senior Applications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
A typical day included meeting with my peers to discuss the architecture of the Northern Trust Domino Domain and ways we could improve and automate it.

A good portion of the discussion also included fixing issues.

The technology was not cutting edge, and for this reason I do not think Northern Trust always attracted the most innovative employees. This is not to say that there is no talent at NT. It has many good people, however, I like working where I am challenged by my peers. This was particularly difficult for me. I love technology.

However, this company cares about its employees. I do not think it is for me to say the specific reasons why I know this. The information is probably, at least, partially confidential. This is not a bad place to work.
Pros
Northern Trust cares about its employees
Cons
I would not consider Northern Trust to be cutting edge when it comes to technology
Productive and fun work place
WEB/ UI Developer (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 7, 2015
AIQuic Application for comprehensive administration of individual life, health and annuity products. My assignment was related to AIQUIC - an International Quality Underwriting Information Capture System for American International Group [AIG], an insurance and financial services company. It is a client-server based underwriting application, which enables quoting, binding, issuing of new policies and servicing of polices. The back-end administration system maximizes user efficiency and provides all the functions and features needed to process insurance products
Flexibility
Client Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
Perfect flexibility, laid back environment. Gained a lot of experience as well as built relationships, both personal and professional.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Compensation
Liked working for company
Second Vice President (Senior Project Manager) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2015
Liked working for the company and with other employees. Did not like working for my management, but that was the only downside.
Company has decided to move toward more contractors. Saw three rounds of lay-off with employees let go on a Friday and a contractor hired the following Monday to do a growing amount of work. I was laid-off in fourth round and later met the contractor who was hired the following Monday.
Not reliable, times are changing........
Operation Controls Specialist - Alternative Assets (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
The job market is changing very drastically. Professional people that have worked for several years are being laid off. Large corporations are taking advantage of this and refuse to pay people with experience. This company is on its last leg they use experienced people then let them go. All functions are moving out of this country I won't be surprised to hear on the news that it has been bought out.
Transfer Agent (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CANovember 8, 2015
I had a good experience with Northern Trust. You get good exposure to back office asset management. The work does get very repetitive however, and wasn't something which appealed to me. I would recommend Northern Trust to someone who is looking for some experience in a professional environment.
Pros
good working hours, friendly staff
Cons
workload is very repetitive
Excellent Organization
Platform Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2015
Excellent Opportunities for advancement. Established organization with a rich culture. I have worked for two different departments providing me with a chance for increasing my skill set.
Pros
Excellent Culture
Excellent company
Sr. Trust Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2015
Great company to work for. Excellent life work services. I have been employed here for over 16 years. Very energetic and client focused company. My job is enjoyable. My colleagues and I have been on the same team for many years. I have been over to take on more projects during this past year which has added value to my current role.
The work place was very pleasant
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2015
This was a very good experience of my job career. I discovered I enjoyed working with figures. and I enjoyed research. I became very detailed from that point on. The stock market was very interesting and challenging.
Pros
There was room for advancement
Cons
Some clients were rude and you had to know how to calm them down and satisfy their needs
Its a nice company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Management needs to be more interactive with employees.
Employees learn a lot and are motivated to make processes better.
Productive business banking
Wire/Funds Processor, Banking (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2015
I worked here 11 year! Electronic banking Wire Transfer was done on paper and the via phone. Changes occurred in the 11 years at this job and it was very interesting. I would recommend to say in a job as long as you can.
Fast paced environment, with loads of experience.
Performance Tester (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2015
There is no typical day. It is always changing. Day to day changes with store visits, interviews, training sessions, and business needs.

This job provided true multi-unit experience with the every changing market.

Leadership and coworkers were great. We set a culture of not only trust, but the ability to challenge each other.

Hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part. It is always changing. It is fast paced, and you must keep up.
Senior Analyst
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2015
This is one of my most enjoyable jobs I ever had. The level of advancement I made in my decade at this company was excellent. I started out as a contract employee in 1998 and assisted the bank with an FDIC audit on my first day. Within 3 days I pulled over 15,000 files for the mortgage file room and warehouse according to a list needed. As a result I was given a Monetary War Award and made a permanent employee in less than a month, and co manager of the fileroom for the bank.
Pros
Long hours, soaking up everything like a sponge.
Cons
Difficult managers.
Excellent company to work for.
Analyst, Corporate Actions -Operations/Securities (Current Employee) –  chicago ilSeptember 16, 2015
It's a great company and I love working here. upward mobility within the company. North trust is overall rated at a number 5. I have learned a lot and became expert in my field and management provided all the tangible things I needed to obtain that skill set.
productive and fun workplace
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2015
Good Day at work
Learned a Lot
Good Management
Helpful Co-workers
No Hardest part of job
Almost enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
Good benefits, global opportunities
Second Vice President (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 18, 2015
Northern is currently in a period of expansion within the asset servicing/administration sector. Traditional lines of business are steady. Salaries are lower than average for the Chicago market, while benefits are higher than average.