Northern Trust Corp. Employee Reviews in United States

Northern Trust has fallen behind competition and management appears lost.
SVP, Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2016
Northern Trust has recently changed its emblem from a heavy, firm anchor to a much lighter, smaller one. This is appropriate as the firm appears lost and doesn't really know where it is headed or what it is doing. The lighter anchor allows the bank to shift direction when recently implemented changes/products are not working. Additionally, a smaller, lighter anchor is needed as there are fewer employees now at Northern Trust and the bigger, steadying anchor could not be lifted.
Pros
still well thought of in the market
Cons
too many management layers. very silo based.
Great Place to work
Senior Technology Risk Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2016
Northern refers to employees as partners and employees behavior reflect this partnership. People are easy to work with, helpful and form good friendships.

The most difficult part of the job is the lack of future growth potential within the USA and Chicago as jobs are being relocated offshore and out of state.
No longer happy or inspired at this job.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2016
Depending on the department, there is no room for advancement and management is not in tune with employees who want to become better and learn in order to be productive. My team has not had a meeting in 3 years and management is deficient in managing people.
Stable Company the absolute worst managers
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2016
NT is a good company overall, and the company pays fairly well. But if you can avoid working in Alternative Investments, I would strongly suggest you do so. The managers in that dept are the absolutely worst! They are very rude and ill mannered. The on the job training was the terrible, and the role is extremely complicated and manual. Very high stress environment, and you can forget about ever leaving work on time. The manager does not care about her employees, and it's evident in her bad attitude. I would recommend looking for jobs in other departments.
Pros
Good pay, and benefits
Cons
Rude managers, long days with short lunches
Family Oriented Employer with great benefits
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2016
Northern Trust Bank is a great place to work and I would recommend it to any employee who strives to be the best in customer service.
Very stable workplace
Release Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
Very stable workplace. You don't get to learn anything new here, you will end up doing same stuff all over again everyday. There's lot of senior staff who has been with Northern for more than 10 years. So if you are the one who like to do same thing over and over - this is the best place for you. The best thing i liked about this company is the management, they don't micro-manage people if you deliver within the deadline.
Pros
Long breaks, work from home, great compensation
Cons
challenge-free workspace
Low stress environment, good co-workers
Northern Trust Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 13, 2016
We are all security officers through Securitas who was contracted by Northern trust. Its a solid work environment the hours a little wonky but other than that its not that terrible.
Good job security
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2016
Its a day when your database is need maintenance. Daily checks and creating roles and previlages to users. Installation and configuration of databases.
work and family balance
Senior Alternative Investments Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisApril 11, 2016
Excellent company and job opportunties globally, able to provide work and family balance, driven client servicing and fast pace environment
Productive and very easy going work place
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2016
Northern Trust is not only a great company in what they do, but they thrive in very friendly and hardworking people. Great workplace and environment.
Extremely loved it!
REPORT PRODUCTION - ACCOUNTING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2016
loved my internship! great place to work! You should most definetly look into this internship! I really enjoyed it! Very professional
Good place, good people
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
I was hired as a contractor in October 2015. I was hired to be a tech writer, but found myself taking minutes during my stay. The people in the Trwasury Department are great. My manager worked in the MRP&A department. At first, we had a good working relationship. But after about two months, things declined. We never had face to face time, expectations and goals were never communicated to me, he only answered questions on IM. I was even verbally abused. This is no place for contractors. They promise your contract will last on the agreed terms, but mine never was. Just be careful working here.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
My manager in MRP&A
Very Fast Paced
Account Relationship Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 26, 2016
Daily process bill payment request for the west region which could be as much as150 payments for both trust and real estate clients. The most rewarding aspect was client satisfaction.
Pros
Freeing up Administration from the worry of satisfying the client's bill payment needs
Cons
Client's expections of a faster than usual turn around
Very friendly co workers and great work life balance
Procurement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
Learned how to work with different types of contracts and understood a great deal about the Procurement Department

Very friendly and helpful VP, managers and co workers

Great work life balance

Positive work environment
Productive workplace
Technical Coordinator / Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLFebruary 23, 2016
My banking career was a success working for this institution. I accomplished all of my career goals and was able to practice my leadership skills in a productive workplace.
Working at Northern
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
Northern manages to hire amazing people; everyone I've worked with has been amazing. However, there's little to no compensation for promotions and complaints are very rarely addressed.
PM Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2016
My team is great to work with. Very family first company, which I love the most. We have a very tight team who has been together for years.
Work life balance and great learning
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2016
The company offers great benefits and good job benefits. Steady day to day items to do. Great work life balance and lots of committees.
No advancement, unproductive environment, unpleasant
Securities Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2016
When you are smart and can handle an impressive workload, they will work you until you can no longer maintain motivation. I was ahead of my managers in terms of knowlege of the area. Disappointing place.
Pros
free bus shuttle
Cons
management decisions, unprofesional, uneducated managers
Good Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoyed working here as a Intern during the school year and the summer and overall it was a good experience for a first job.