Northern Trust Corp. Employee Reviews

Backend developer
Sr. Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2016
I learned how to be with co-workers, and I used to enjoy my work always.I used to complete my work on time, and it's been great working in Northern Trust Bank.
Pros
Free lunch and snacks
Cons
short breaks
Highly Productive in a Relaxed Atmosphere
Sr. Application Consultant - IT Projects (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2016
A highly motivated and productive individual in an atmosphere that promotes diversity and collaboration. Individuals are highly productive due to their professionalism and not because they are forced to.

Highly collaborative seeking input from others and drawing on each individuals experience to increase the organizational knowledge bank.

Respectful of diversity and cultural differences.
Good Work/Life balance
Consultant (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 7, 2016
The company is good to work for family people, as it provides a good work/life balance. Good people, management is also fair.
Pros
decent hours, opportunities for development, the company provides good training
Cons
Salaries are on the low
Aqewdaqwe
Tableau Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2016
For most working professionals, job performances reviews are frightening. You have to sit down with your boss in a one-on-one setting behind closed doors, and your job security feels like it’s hanging on a balance. In reality, performance reviews can be a breeze.

While they might seem intimidating, most performance reviews are aimed at helping you improve your work performance. They're meant to show off your accomplishments
Work experience at Northern Trust Corp.
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2016
I was employed 26 years at Northern Trust Co. I worked in various departments within the operations' sector of the company. The last position that I held, Foreign exchange back office analysts, taught me a lot. I learn something new just about every day. The work load was heavy so I had to improve my prioritizing and multi-processing skills.

My inter personal skills improved also. Due to the job's large work load and high risk, may co-workers will feel stress so tempers would be flair. So I had to look pass some of the tempers a work with them to provide the clients great service.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Not many bonuses
Nice work environment with congenial co-workers
Associate Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2016
The company is nice to work for with excellent benefits. They are always striving to improve the computer process used throughout the multiple locations. The upper management is always working to keep its current high-net worth clients while growing the business. I would recommend the company to those high net worth individuals who could benefit from the many different areas the bank offers. I would recommend the bank as employer.
This company is very good in each and every aspect .
Selenium Tester (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2016
I'm satisfied working with this company, I really learned a lot and the management,employees each and everything is good here.
Productive fast paced environment
Investment Associate (Current Employee) –  downtown milwaukeeJune 28, 2016
Busy, each day brings learning experience, management is great, co- workers are amazing, hardest part of my job is overseeing the we are compliant, ie: documentation, most enjoyable part of my job is keeping our clients happy and the people that I work with on a daily basis
Depends what department you work in
Alternative Assets Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 21, 2016
Your experience really depends on the department you are working in. I have worked in two different areas of the bank and they are completely different. One department was very smooth operating and had people you could get along with, managers included. Everyone was always willing to help out each other.
The Alternative Assets operations department on the other hand is probably the worst culture I have ever experienced. Everything is extremely disorganized and is full of managers who have unrealistic expectations and poor communication skills. They pass blame and errors off on each other, refuse to accept responsibility, and they refuse to work together when times get rough. Many employees have quit as this department is falling apart. I think if clients saw the way management has chosen to run this specific department they would no longer be clients of Northern Trust.
Pros
Benefits are good along with a good work life balance
Cons
Work culture is horrible and depressing
Lack of compensation for advancement
Associate Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
Lack of compensation for advancement. Northern tries to cut costs at all corners (compensation and technology investment)
Northern Trust
Security Lending Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
N/A: At this current time, I have decided not to rate my previous employer. I would like others to form their own opinion of the company.
Excellent
Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Nice to work with such big team of 25. Experienced co-ordination with on-shore and off-shore team. Good managers and helpful architects.
Processing Analyst
Processing Analyst (Current Employee) –  801 s canal st,chicago, ILMay 28, 2016
• Facilitated and executed investment related activity such as, cash Request, model change, halt/resume trading, tax Harvesting and less complex implementation and rebalance events for wealth management clients.
• Serve as the single point of contact for the client service teams, primarily the portfolio managers and their associates; coordinating and monitoring activities in various investment products.
• Initiate investment manager notifications as required and partner with investment managers and product groups (NTSI, MAG, trading team, etc.) to raise cash or invest additional contributions
Sr Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2016
Great work place environment. Very fasted paced working in the outsourcing department. I enjoy having face to face relationships with clients.
Pros
Free events, free lunches
Cons
Benefits, Salary
Productive and a fun place
Onsite Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Good and interesting work place to excel and helpful people found in this job place.
A lot to learn from and a good professional place to start up one's career.
great for families
officer (Current Employee) –  chicagoMay 16, 2016
Many people who leave Northern come back. This is a great place to work and build many friendships. Pay is on the lower side but the benefits are awesome.
Private banking
Private Banker/associate (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLMay 11, 2016
I worked for Northern for almost 10 years. Very good job/life work balance. worked in several different roles, including assistant., mortgage banker and private banker. Co-workers were friendly and helpful. Great team
Great company, Great People, Great Job
Marketing Officer / Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 10, 2016
One of my most favorite places to work! The people were supportive and worked as a team to provide exceptional customer service.
Pros
Committed, Great atmosphere, Good benefits
Poor culture, no innovation, lagging technology
Software Architect (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
Northern Trust suffers from a significant culture problem. Despite what the branding says, innovation and risk taking are not in the company's DNA and are, in many cases, actively discouraged. Technology lags 5-10 years behind the curve, even within the industry. There is no drive for or importance placed on excellence in any arena - "just okay" is often the norm. Again, despite the platitudes offered by the company's branding, the corporate culture almost disincentivizes working outside of defined job roles to improve the enterprise.

There is only one prevailing focus in the company and that is on generating positive quarterly earnings statements. The only pervasive goal within the company is meeting or exceeding ROI targets. Keeping costs low is the primary driver throughout the company, which ends up begetting the issues with lagging technology and generally leads to poorly executed or unfinished projects.

Employee engagement does not extend past a yearly survey and employee development is non-existent. The general solution to poor project performance is to add more layers of management rather than address resourcing problems or adjust approach to be more practical. The excessive layers of management lead to an abstraction of real issues and concerns between actual project performance and senior management. Reorganization occurs constantly as senior management shuffles between approaches and different roles in the company. This creates inconsistency and misalignment from year to year in terms of priorities and direction.

While the compensation is generally on the
  more... low side for the industry, Northern Trust's work/life balance options go a long way towards making some of that up. There are flex schedule and work from home options available to most employees. Benefits are generally good, although they have been scaled back somewhat recently. Very few companies offer a pension anymore, but Northern does.  less
Pros
Work life balance, benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement at a certain point, no real development opportunities, excessively political culture, no opportunities for innovation or exploration
Northern Trust has fallen behind competition and management appears lost.
SVP, Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2016
Northern Trust has recently changed its emblem from a heavy, firm anchor to a much lighter, smaller one. This is appropriate as the firm appears lost and doesn't really know where it is headed or what it is doing. The lighter anchor allows the bank to shift direction when recently implemented changes/products are not working. Additionally, a smaller, lighter anchor is needed as there are fewer employees now at Northern Trust and the bigger, steadying anchor could not be lifted.
Pros
still well thought of in the market
Cons
too many management layers. very silo based.