Northern Virginia Community College

Northern Virginia Community College United States Employee Reviews

bad management
Mail Specialist (Current Employee), Annadale, VAApril 16, 2015
Once senior management turned over, no previous expected advancements were offered. Therefore, I did not receive the promotion promised. And, they discontinued sending me to classes and training required for this position.
Best Place to work at
Policy Planning Specialist I (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAApril 6, 2015
Great place to work at. Everyone treats you like family and you get to meet very inspiring people. They work with your schedule so it is very easy to balance work/life.
I enjoy teaching
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Current Employee), VirginiaMarch 25, 2015
Multitasking.
Learned to deal with students from different culture and background
My co worker thinks i am a team player.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with uncooperative student.
The most enjoyable part of my job is student ootcomes
Language lab Assistant (Current Employee), Woodbridge, VAMarch 17, 2015
A productive and fun place to work. NVCC offers flexibility. Employees have the chance to share interests and express ideas freely.
Excellent oportunity
English, Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Woodbridge, VAMarch 16, 2015
Northern Virginia Community College is a great place for students of all ages. Who would not like to work there?! The hardest part of the job is knowing that this is one of the best jobs in the world and that the younger generations will some day want a shot at the same opportunity.
Fun position
Ceramics lab Technician (Former Employee), Annandale, VAMarch 10, 2015
I worked by helping the lab responsible by preparing the lab for students. Making glazes, clays and taking care of kilns. Sometimes I was very dirty after working but I was enjoying these moments
great place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), AlexandriaMarch 4, 2015
Working in the liberal arts department was a great experience. The co-workers are friendly and helpful. They showed me how beautiful it is to work in a peaceful environment where people care about everyone.
Working Daily Management Activities, Customer Service
Instructor/Faculty Member (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: resources, communication, training.
Cons: the heavy workload and fast pace environment.
A typical day at work, provide staff details and maintenance

I have learned to be flexible, courteous and professional at all times.

My management style is situational leadership, servant leader.

I get along with coworkers, customers, citizens, vendors, and upper management.

The most difficult part of my job, customer complaints, communication, staffing disagreements.

I enjoy my job and building good relationships.
Excellent environment
Student Tutor and Exam Proctor (Former Employee), Virginia, USAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: meeting new crew
Cons: contract
I used to volunteer for IT Department assisting IT specialist with hands on computers, printers, and student usage throughout the whole campus (900 computers) making sure the software is up to date, running smoothly, troubleshooting, and documenting fixes. Also, I've provided support for Testing and Tutoring Center for students helping in transitioning from high school to college. One of my responsibilities was handling student confidential information, maintaining computer performance and examination environment.
Fun with teachers and my supervisor.
Help Desk Support (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: free lunch time, schedual was not hectic
Cons: healthcare
I was responsible for student support and phone inquiry from NVCC faculty regarding technical issues with computers, projector, password, etc. The first thing I do on Monday morning is check my voicemail and email, then I prioritize my activities for the week. The hardest part of the job was hard drive terminating. So many systems had to swiped and take the hard drive out and smack them with a hammer for security purpose. Helping students was the most enjoyable part
very friendly working environment
Adjunct faculty (Current Employee), AlexandriaJanuary 20, 2015
Beginning of the semester with department meetings focused on main issues during the previous semester. Very friendly working environment.
Interesting place to work
Regional Rapid Response Director (Current Employee), AnnandaleJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: tuition assistance
Cons: facility space
Not a bad place to work. Current manager is very supportive and conscientious about getting it right. Is not easily raddled during controversy.
The support systems need to be updated in order to provide support in a timely manner .
There's a great group of employees to work with.
Poor Management
Administrative Specialist II & Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 22, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: management micro-manages.
You do not have a lot of freedom to suggest new ideas. Management like to micromanage and do constant walks to see what's happening. Employers seem oppress rather than enjoying a nice work environment.
A well supported of higher learning academic environment.
Instructional Center Technician (Former Employee), Annandale, VADecember 2, 2014
Pros: higher learning academic atmosphere and environment.
Cons: working on limited school budget. available only in part-time position.
Provide admissions and academic entrance exams for new students, during afternoon weekdays and weekends. The Inst. Center Technician gave employee(s) the opportunity to learn how to work and manage the clerical aspect of the testing center procedure of the junior college system. Also, working with the head of the testing center staff to schedule additional hours for students, during the registration session of each quarter/semester.

The most challenging field of the job is stay focus of the administrative tasks, regulations and the campus policies. The most rewarding result of this Inst. Center Technician was to use my training, knowledge and motivation to help others to start their first step in college. As well as seeing students becoming successful in attaining their academic goals.
Great Rewarding education
Full Time College Student (Former Employee), Springfield, VAOctober 14, 2014
Great Rewarding education

I invite you to explore the many educational opportunities available at Northern Virginia Community College. NOVA is a great place to get a degree, earn credits and transfer them to a four-year institution, enhance your career or learn something new. At NOVA, quality education is affordable and accessible to everyone.
On call, stressful
Assault Coordinator (Current Employee), Annandale, VASeptember 10, 2014
Cons: on call all the time, stressful
On a typical day, I am on call all the time to respond to reports of assault and domestic violence.
Bad Management
Administrative & Office Specialist-II (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: reimbursement of your 6 credit hours tuition fee.
Cons: no budget
I want to share with everyone. What NVCC are doing these days, they will hire you but they will not give you hours that we don't have budget so why are you hiring people and make their difficult .
Strong On-Line Experience
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Current Employee), Annandale, VAAugust 21, 2014
I love teaching on-line and this job is a fully on-line platform. Terms are various lengths; I normally teach 8 week sessions, but also some 16 week sessions. 8 week sessions can be a lot of work, but students love them.

Strong support for you from college and division.
Productive and fun working place
Trainer and Instructor I (Former Employee), Annandale, VAAugust 15, 2014
Its a place were you could be productive and fun working place.
Fast faced fun environment
Education Support Specialist (Current Employee), Annandale, VAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: lots of downtime, paid break, closed for holidays
Cons: benefits, advancement
Spend the day answering phone calls and emails, but the staff and management make the job enjoyable. No room for advancement and there is no leg up on the competition for applying for other jobs within the college. Capped at 29 hours, which is unfortunate, but you get over it.

1 2 3 4 5