Northern Virginia Community College Employee Reviews

Great place
IT support (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 15, 2016
good to learn and have ideas about different. Its a good place to start a social relationship too since most of the friends you have had back in high school come to nova too so you see them again.
Remember: You need to live
Trainer Instructor I (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 7, 2016
Work here for the people, not the money. You're never well compensated for the vigor of your position, just the category they deem you.
Good place to work with students and get to know them
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 5, 2016
Working in tutoring is a really great job for students who are looking for a part time job for some supplementary income and work experience, the pay is okay and the hours are very good, they work around your schedule and are very lenient if you need to temporarily leave work for vacation or exams.

Your immediate supervisors are usually nice and well educated people (which is something you'll appreciate), you will enjoy working with them as it is similar to working with your professors.

The social life is great, sometimes students will talk to you about their careers and student life, making everything more fun and enjoyable. I met many people who come by the math center that we actually became really good friends.

Typically, you will be assisting students with homework problems. More often than not, they will ask you questions from take home tests and test corrections, you are not supposed to help them with those because it counts as cheating.

The job will really be stressful during midterms and finals weeks, as more students will be at the math center keeping you on your feet.

You will have to have a strong background in mathematics, most undergraduate students in STEM fields with a few math classes completed with A's or B's are usually well fit for the job, but don't feel discouraged if you are not a STEM student but are passionate about tutoring and mathematics.
Pros
Very flexible hours, decent pay
very challenging.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 25, 2016
This was very challenging as I was new to America and I was working individually with fellow international students as it was not official.
It was a great work enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 16, 2016
I enjoyed the students at Nova. I learned a lot of different things. I absolutely love the diversity of the campus and I got along with my co workers.
Pros
Free lunch most of the time and free parking.
College
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAJuly 13, 2016
Prepare for classroom material to teach students business ethics,
how to manage a team in a corporation and to provide to the basic understanding of how majors corporations operate and function

I learned from this job the many international corporations we have worldwide and how they have many different strategies to operate internationally vs in the USA, which was intriguing.

My co-workers are the best in support, team playing and expressed a great attitude towards higher education.

The hardest part of the job was to influence some students who did not have positive support from parents, but as a Professor I provided the consistent positive feedback to their learning skills. I recognized students for the different projects they present, enforcing constant encouragement to doing a great job on projects, homework assignments and tests.

The most enjoyable part of the job was recognizing students for the great efforts and performances they achieved in my college course.
Pros
Encouraging students to learn
Cons
Students that could not be convinced of their achievements
Great Enviroment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAJuly 2, 2016
What I liked about Northern Virginia Community College is that work schedule was very flexible. A typical day at work would be shelving books in Alpha-numerical order starting from A to Z. I quickly learned how to use the ALEPH system to check in and check out books and other necessary equipment to the students. The management was very helpful in training me.
fun place to work in
College Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAJune 10, 2016
the managers were understanding and down to earth individuals.
the hardest part of the job was commuting to work daily due to traffic congestion and the inaccessibility of the location.
Great work environment
College Professor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 27, 2016
It was fun going to work and assisting customers. I learned even more about a customized application. Management was outstanding and I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Learning the new changes when I wasn't told of the change. Assisting users
Pros
Work Environment and Communicatin
Teaching Day
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAApril 23, 2016
Take attendance of students
Lecture on rhetoric and argumentative analysis
Provide in class writing or group activity
discuss conclusions on activity
check my resume
Information Technology Full-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 8, 2016
o Develop and managed teaching strategies and syllabus materials, on term basis.
o Organize, prepare and revise courses materials.
o Ensure content level of course materials in exams has been covered in class.
o Design, administer and grade examination papers.
o Schedule and provide post-academic care to students.
o Facilitate online and face-to-face discussions with students.
o Assess student learning through various methods.
A typical day at the Counseling Office
FRONT DESK AT COUSELING OFFICE (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAFebruary 7, 2016
My typical day at work consist of working with students in need of change or that need to be assisted. I work with a diverse group of people, and I really like it. Working with people from different countries has always been something I wanted to do.
Pros
I work where I study
Love working with students
Veterans' Advisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 26, 2016
My typical day is meeting with students who have question regarding their military benefits for education. Once the students has knows their benefits and is ready for school I help them select classes and go over the degree plan with them. My co-workers are wonderful and willing to help out in anything they can do. The hardest part of my job is telling a student that they can not use their benefits because they did not meet satisfactory academic progress. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the student finish their degree and move on to the four year.
My review summary
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be communicating with the Provost and sanding out the Action Items from the Provost's meeting to the Deans and supervisors.

My Co-workers and I worked together as a team. We supported one another.

The hardest part of our job was dealing with students who had a complaints.

The most enjoyable part at work was just being there for one another as friends.
NVCC is not only a great place to begin any career, it is also a wonderful place to develop a successful career.
IT Technician, Internship (Current Employee) –  Annadale VirginiaDecember 5, 2015
Working with NVCC workforce
development has been memorable and fascinating. The company culture is great and provides employee's with a supportive environment.
Productive and fun to work at Northern Virginia Community College
Student Ambassador/ Orientation Staff (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 2, 2015
It was a professional place to work. Experienced and developed personally as a Orientation Staff. The program started to get more attention as the years past.
It's a good place to work at
General Administrative Supervisor I (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VANovember 17, 2015
It's a good place to work. I have been working at nova for more than 10 years. Please are friendly. Pay is not that great. There are some coworkers that shouldn't be working in this field but whatever.
We had great fun decorating the doors during the holidays.
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 8, 2015
I learned excellent grammar skills and how to teach students the best way. I was able to help student come to conclusions on their own and correct their own mistake rather than giving them the answer.
Pros
Working with college students
Cons
Few benefits
Allows for autonomy.
Adjunct Faculty\Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 14, 2015
I was hired as an adjunct clinical instructor and had no orientation to the college or the job. I taught my first semester of clinical well; the students felt prepared after completing clinical with me. I didn't interact with many co-workers, as I had extreme autonomy. The clinical coordinator was and is (still) difficult to contact via email or the phone. The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being completely independent. The most enjoyable part is that, as well. I enjoy relying on myself and bringing 100% of myself to the job. Then again, it can be difficult when I encounter something I've never been trained on, such as "What is NVCC policy regarding a student starting an IV?".
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Feeling "alone"
Far
2- HELP DESK ANALYST (Former Employee) –  VASeptember 28, 2015
Far from satisfy salary. cannot survived. If you want to live on your own with this kind of salary. good luck. The college waste money into some modification while they can use that to rise employee salary. the head is very much not connected to the body of the college. however, they get rise every year. their salary is over 6 zero. and us, low life employee with walking 30k a year some even lower.
Cons
low salary for NOVA - cannot survived

4.3