Northern Virginia Family Service

Northern Virginia Family Service Employee Reviews

Great organization that strengthens the community
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakton, VASeptember 19, 2017
Supportive management that encourages growth; respectful and open workplace culture; great benefits. Mission is extremely motivating. Hours can be long, but management is committed to employees taking time to recharge.
Look elsewhere before you apply here
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 31, 2017
Rare opportunity for career advancement.

Never acknowledged by upper management for work and effort put in on daily basis.

Immediate supervisors are incredible and care about their staff!
Pros
a lot of flexibility
Cons
pay, managment, opportunities
August 31, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the insight your review gives us. We believe the size and breadth of our agency does provide opportunities for career growth across programs, but we are constantly considering ways to promote these opportunities and make all employees aware of them.

We are glad that you felt supported by your supervisors and will continue to look for ways for our senior leaders to express the sincere appreciation they feel for the tremendous work done by all of our employees.

Thanks again!

Family oriented working environment
Home visiting, Shelter and food bank (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 5, 2017
I loved the flexibility with my job, while the benefits were great too. The work with families and children was very fulfilling. Many different cultural backgrounds were part of the program. Learning from other cultures was great. I wish the agency would pay more attention on training staff for other positions they are interested in, so advancement is easier.
Pros
Flexibility, Family oriented, good benefits, great coworkers
Cons
management needs more training in leadership management
Great place
Family Support Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 5, 2017
I loved working here. I worked with a great team. Everyone got along and it felt like family. My supervisor was always there to help. Hours were flexible, which helped having a young child. The job required to do could be a bit stressful at times because of all the paperwork with monthly deadlines. Because it's a nonprofit, pay and benfits weren't the best.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay, with no raise
April 10, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your insight as a former employee!

Wonderful place to work - great mission, great people, great environment!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Oakton, VAMarch 13, 2017
I have been with NVFS for 1.5 years and it's amazing! The employees are a wonderful combination of knowledgeable, kind, professional, and flexible. My schedule has changed, at my request, three times since I accepted my offer. I've already received one promotion...both in title and in pay...so I feel valued, appreciated, and recognized. I feel fortunate to be able to say that I love to come to work every day!!
Pros
401(k), Work/Life Balance, Positive Atmosphere, Wellbeing Program, Weekly Training Sessions
Cons
The human services industry in general is underpaid (but our CEO wants to change that!)
April 10, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience as an NVFS employee!

Absolutely Professional Work Place! Fantastic!
FAmily Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakton, VAJune 26, 2014
NVFS is an absolutely professional, well structured place of work. It truly allows employees to grow as professionals and as individuals. NVFS is dedicated to the well being of at risk children and families. It is truly an amazing organization!

I enjoyed working for NVFS, the team was excellent and committed to do amazing work.

When I was hired, I had the opportunity to meet the company's CEO. She makes time to have an "open table, lunch" so that she can personally meet every new employee. I was with NVFS for over two years, during my anniversaries as an employee, I received an appreciation gift for my services; and for my birthdays I received a $50 gift card as a birthday gift.

This company not only cares about making a difference in the community, but also about making every employee feel appreciated and deserving of recognition.

Unfortunately, NVFS does not pay very well :(. The work is intense and underpaid, yet, it is definitely rewarding. My family was growing and I needed to earn more money to provide for my family. Otherwise, I would have stayed with NVFS for as long as possible!
Pros
CEO personally meets every new employee -
Cons
Low Salary :(
Caring professional staff
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakton, VAFebruary 3, 2014
This nonprofit company does important work for children and families.
Pros
The work is important and worthwhile.
Cons
Upper management can be unrealistic about the budget.
great headstart
Teacher's Aide/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 28, 2014
I work with a great group of people. I love working with kids. Trying to get as much as I need to know about how to run a Daycare/HeadStart program, I plan to open my own some day.
Provides tremendous growth and learning opportunity for employees.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakton, VAJanuary 17, 2013
A proven track record of meeting challenging business demands. work on requirements elicitation, analysis and business process documentation. Liaison between business stakeholders and development teams to understand business needs, recommend solutions and transform them into functional requirements.
Organization operationalizes its stated values, extremely diverse culturally and linguistically
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakton, VAJuly 15, 2012
Provides wide array of integrated services, leverages extensive collaboration with business, government, and private not-for profit entities. Innovative yet faithful to its core mission and values, recognized for its leadership regionally.
Pros
exceptionally strong management
Cons
relatively low compensation
management
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Oakton, VAMarch 14, 2012
It really depends on which department you work in on whether Managment care about it's empolyees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Virginia Family Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2