Northland Group Inc Employee Reviews

This place is a joke
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 26, 2016
Very clickish and unprofessional job. The boss walks around like she all of that and don't communicate with none of the employees, she don't even know half the people that works there. Supervisors are very rude and disrespectful and think they can talk to you any kind of way. No career growth. They are too cheap and is always asking for donations when they can use company money. They rip people off with compensation and it's a joke. No great acknowledgement given for the work they employees too and if so, they give you a sorry button. They are even too cheap to replace a nasty, smelling carpet that looks a mess and been like it is for years
The worst work environment EVER!!!
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Thorofare, NJJanuary 28, 2016
Many broken promises. I have been bamboozled. I was promised lots of bonuses but once you meet your 1.4 million dollar quota each month management fraudulently writes you up and takes it away. Unless you are attempting to make 5 collections at the end of the month to gain access to the "Candy Cart". The benefits are so redicasly high in cost that many cant afford paying $400/pay when you only make $600/pay. And when you earn PTO (Paid Time Off) and you try to use it. You are mandated to make up the missed hours by the end of the week or be digged and lose your bonus. And if you manage not to do anything to lose your bonuses you are paid less than $50.00 after collecting 1.4 million dollars for the company. Yep Northland Group Inc is the very worst company to work for. Run while you still have your dignity and self respect.
Pros
No pros. Not one
Cons
No raises, benefits cost too much, no PTO time off
no pros
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 23, 2016
Basically, just a number. Not good nor healthy environment, culture of the company is based on many under the table decisions made by upper management and making employees believe they are absolutely replaceable.
Unprofessional, lazy people do apply
CALL CENTER AGENT (Former Employee) –  Thorofare, NJMarch 28, 2016
They put people are the phone to collect that do not have enough training first.
On any given day, you're not sure if certain Supervisors are going to be pleasant or rude.
Hourly salary and IF you receive a commission are a joke.
Plan to be at work even if you are ill, missed time is cause for a write up (if you do not have the PTO or are unable to make up time,) does not matter the reason for the missed time.
Supervisors will yell at you across the work floor, in front of co-workers, makes for an un-professional, unpleasant work atmosphere.
Bathrooms frequently closed due to clogged sinks or toilets.
If you have allergies to dust, mold,,,,DO NOT WORK THERE!!! The vents, cold air intakes are covered in dust and god knows what else, Carpets are filthy, very rarely vacuumed. The board of health and OSHA should be notified.
Glad I'm gone.
Pros
Cons
Medical benefits, working nights and half Saturdays
Northland group run......From this company
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Thorofare, NJApril 18, 2016
They tell you in training how wonderful the company is and how your going to get commission. Well those are all lies, this company does not care about there employees. They have roaches and mice running around and they tell you to ignore the roaches and stay on the phones. Bathrooms are always clogged and dirty filled with mildew,this place is filthy. DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY TRUST &BELIEVE ME YOU WILL REGRET IT
Pros
hour break
Cons
everything about this company
Stable income with flexible schedule
Debt Management Specialist/Bill Collector (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 11, 2013
Working at Northland Group has taught me to be resourceful and to remain positive in the face of constant changes. The most enjoyable part of the job has been the people I work with and their support. The hardest part of the job has been getting burned out talking with people who have real hardships. Overall, I know what to expect each day and the company has allowed me the freedom to find what techniques would make me successful.
Pros
excellent pay, great healthcare
Cons
poor 401k plan, little room for advancement/job change within same company
Great company culture
Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 2, 2012
Managing over 250 accounts daily. Learned new compliance/legal/regulatory skills. Enhanced knowledge of call center infrastructure. Enjoyed mentoring new enployees and coaching tenured employees through difficult change management and escalations. The hardest part of the job was regulation fluctuations. The most enjoyable was providing quality service and assisting clients with eliminating their debt stress.
Pros
customer/ team centric organization
Cons
changes to variable compensation
3rd party collections agency
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 15, 2014
High volume collections agency with multiple different teams. Opportunity to make a good commission check. Long hours and management staff that will emotionally abuse you. Attempts to guilt trip you when using PTO for vacation or when sick.
Pros
location, upbeat games to keep competition going
Cons
Too many Cliques
Northland Group Inc.
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  EdinaJune 30, 2012
I worked 8 hour shifts, morning and evening. Spent most of my time on the phone, answering in bound calls and making out bound calls. I learned how to problem solve, deal with various situations and work with different people. The management was encouraging and helpful in all situations. Within my collecting team, we were successful and supportive. The hardest part of working with Northland Group was being able to handle large amounts of work thrown at you at once, and being able to overcome all objections and stalls. The most enjoyable part of working with Northland group was working with the people who would cooperate with the success of our company.
Pros
casual friday, occasional potlucks
Cons
angry people
Very Professional
Collections Associate (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 23, 2014
Great company. Compliance is key and they have it down. No worries about this company asking you to collect in the "grey area".
Pros
Compensation, compliance, management
Worst place I ever worked and that's saying a lot
Collections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thorofare, NJOctober 16, 2015
Was hired here to Supervise and was told at the time of interview there would be a better medical insurance plan by May 1. Company finally got around to getting an insurance company by late September, as some people with families sort of need that. The insurance they chose was the basic catastrophic insurance most hole in the wall companies get which does nothing when you have children to support.

I was also told that with the way the client commission structure was designed, I would be averaging $2,000 a month in commission to make up for the fact that my previous employer was paying me $50k a year and this place came in a lot lower than that. In the 7 months I was there, I averaged about $400 a month. What they fail to tell you in the interview is that the support staff you will be supervising has zero collections experience, and you will be training from the ground up for people who don't even know if they want to be collectors. The lack of basic collection skill sets leads to multiple lawsuits due to their knowledge gaps on FDCPA laws.

As a supervisor, you will end up feeling like you have to work 12 hour days to be as wonderful as the other supervisors and even be looked down at if you want to take a lunch (you might as well take that lunch break because it's the only benefit this company will provide).

All in all, there are decent companies out there, but this isn't one of them. The employer I left gave me medical benefits, same rate of pay for only being in charge of myself and not 20 children, and the commute was 8 miles not 40. Avoid this place at all costs.
Pros
If you are an idiot at your core, this will be a great opportunity for you to shine
Cons
Too many to count above what I wrote
Do not apply here
Collections/Customer Service Call Center (Current Employee) –  Thorofare, NJFebruary 16, 2015
Most clickish, unprofessional employees and management ever experienced. The favoritism of specific yet incompetent employees and the lack of professional and adult behavior is undeniably at its highest level in this facility. I have never ever seen this many counterproductive employees in one place, in all of my years, in this business
Pros
-0-
Cons
everything, everyday
worst company ever
collections (Current Employee) –  edina, mnJanuary 26, 2012
All they do is fill you with false promises. They are constantly searching for new ways to cut employee pay and benefits. They do not have their employees' best interests at heart. They are greedy and cold. They have an Operations Manager who seems to think that work needs to be a prison like environment.
Pros
they make you think that you can make money
Collections
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Thorofare, NJOctober 12, 2015
A comfortable work environment. The supervisors are helpful and like to see you succeed. Co-workers are encouraging and willing to help in any way.
Rewarding and exciting environment
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJanuary 26, 2014
Great place to work and utilize my skills. Working with children to further develop their motor skills as well as imaginations. I learned about child development. My co-workers were excellent people to be around and my boss was very understanding and fair, it was a very good environment to be in. The hardest part of this job was keeping the children entertained and keeping there attention which was done by the lesson plan and tasks we did. Best part of this job is working with children and their parents i throughly enjoy working with children and helping them grow.
Pros
Working with children and their parents, flexibility of hours, great co-workers and boss.
Cons
Keeping with the schedule sometimes, Parents sometimes not having all the necessities for the child in our care.
Hardworking yet fun
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNApril 3, 2013
A typical day at work was coming in and sitting down at your desk and having a nice hot cup of coffee. Doing your normal routines checking accounts and correcting them, receiving in and outbound calls. What you learn before and after is the basic communication skills to work with someone or connect with them much quicker and in the end you come out with better communication skills. Hardest part of the job was getting to your goal, basically receiving a certain amount of money in a certain time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to connect with your employee's and have such great conversations and meet/hearing new things in life.
Pros
free lunch, great people
Cons
healthcare, late nights, goals
The greastest job I ever had,It was my life
Collector (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 5, 2013
Working at Northlclosed the and was GREAT! It was a collections company and I was responsable for getting past due accounts pd. I skipped traced, worked with debt settlement companies.Most of my co-workers had been there as long as myself and we were like one big family and that was my home. The hardest part of the job was going home! The most enjoyable part was working with people you really enjoyed being around and the bonus checks. It was just a really nice place to work and very professional.I was very sad when they closed the office.
Pros
it was very professional and clean and i loved working there.
Very dedicated to complete reports on time
Client Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNSeptember 22, 2014
Once you come into work, you have to get started on running files. There are certain files which are due at certain times. It could be due a hour after you come in, or by the end of the day. I've learned so much at Northland Group and I appreciate all the knowledged I've gained from this company in the past four years. I've learned how to mange files, exporting/importing files, how to accomplish certain tasks, being on time, being percise, and getting the job done! Being around my coworkers everyday is a blessing. There are so many different types of people here so there is never a dull moment. Although we are usually busy getting work done, everyone does have their moments of short stories which makes us come really close. Although we do chit chat here and there, we always get our work done. The hardest part of the job would probably be that I tend to give myself more work than what I started with. I would usually get done earlier and I'd ask my coworkers if they are behind. I love helping others and especially when I've help accomplish a very important task. The most enjoyable part of the job would be learning. Even though I've worked here for four years, I always learn something new everyday.
Fun Enviroment
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 26, 2013
I loved the coworkers but the job has low job security. They do lay offs a lot.
Management is ok
Collector (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNApril 21, 2015
I enjoyed working at NGI, managers were very nice, and mostly fair. The best part of working there is the felxible schedule

2.5