Northrop Grumman Employee Reviews

Found 2,207 reviews matching the search
Great place to work for 4-6 years
Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 7, 2016
Northrop Grumman has a huge portfolio and many opportunities to work on different, challenging, and interesting things. It is a good, interesting job with decent benefits, but the compensation as a whole is lacking. Stay long enough and your pay will fall well behind the market rate. This must be the tradeoff for huge-corporation job security. Middle management is a mixed bag of old-timers who have their favorites and newer managers with good ideas and fresh perspectives. My engineering colleagues are some of the smartest people I've met and are generally easy to work with and care about the mission.
Pros
challenging work, good colleagues
Cons
management, compensation, recognition
Great employer
Production Test Technician II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2016
I work as a test technician and I love the environment. I work very hard to show that I'm worth having around and that I am capable of any task given to me and that gets noticed. I know this doesn't happen often in the work force, or you get worked harder as you work more with no one to say "Good job" or a raise or anything, but I don't have that feeling here yet and have been noticed.

Great experience so far and I love the co-workers. The hardest part of the job is probably like every job: Having to work by lazy people.
Pros
Good benefits, good management
Cons
Lazy employees who've been there for ever
Unqualified Management Team in Southern California
Project Management Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Overall NGC isn't a bad company, the management staff in the southern California region is poor, they lack diversity and outwardly refuse to promote qualified women of color. The majority white male management is not educated or business savvy to run the Unmanned program while keeping it on schedule and under/on budget. Other competitors that are interested in the unmanned area go for it.
Pros
Benefits and work life balance
Cons
Slow to promoting qualified women of color
Furlough
Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2016
I was hired on directly out of college. I was excited for the opportunity to work for a company with such a great reputation. While going through the hiring process never once was I led to believe that possibly I would be out of a job within 8months. So I moved all the way to st louis and started working. There were many red flags that I started to notice. Eventually there was talking of a furlough . I was scared, I moved all the way here to have the company tell me I'm out of a job until "I don't know when". Thankfully I was smart enough to get a new job , and what do you know, my old work friends have been out of a job for over a month now, with no idea if/ when work will start again.

Do not hire recent graduates for positions when you can't even guarantee that there is work. That is the epitome of horrible management.

Good vacation/ benefits.
Great work life balance, not great with $
Spares Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILOctober 19, 2016
Northrop Grumman is a great place to work for work life balance. When they bring in an employee from the outside of the company, they are willing to over pay that employee for a specific position. When an internal employee tries moving up in the company, that's where the issues come in. There is a lot of red tape with trying to move with in the company, you will only see 2-10% increase moving up (5%) is typical. They are taking away benefits like 100% paid tuition, awards programs and rewards programs. NGC is trying to keep costs low, by keeping labor and overhead low at the cost of the employees.
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Compensation Increases and benefits
There's a reason they're one of the largest defense contractors.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2017
Northrop has some of the highest standards of excellence I've ever encountered. It's daunting at first, you worry about living up to the expectations set forth. However, I can say that the work environment puts excellence within your grasp. State of the art equipment, paired with the best and the brightest individuals in their fields make a recipe for success. If you, like me, always felt like the smartest person in the room, get ready for a slice of humble pie, because the folks at Northrop will surprise you.
Pros
Great benefits, varying assignments, awesome workforce.
Cons
Makes you feel small...
Horrible Place to work
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 31, 2016
Horrible place to work. The company is stuck in the past, there is more bureaucracy here than in Washington, DC. They have leaders and hiring managers that have been there 30+ years and REFUSE to change the ways of the past. Huge turnover issues in AS, poor leadership throughout the division, no one communicates what is going on to the field organization, they are depending on their name to attract people which once you join them you realize what a terrible mistake you made. If you want to work in this industry go to Boeing Harris, Raytheon or Lockheed.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
endless bureaucracy, horrible leadership, ZERO communication to their employees, set in their ways, change is NEVER going to be embraced they still think they are in the 1990's .
Monolithic company with upper management that pretends you're more than a number
Program Cost Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 4, 2017
Northrop likes to talk a big game to its employees about how much it cares. Local management cares about its employees by offering a great work/life balance. This is excellent. But upper management cuts pay increases and benefits, all the while crying to employees that the economy is making them suffer, when, in fact, the company is doing quite well. Cutting of benefits and pay increases would not be so hard to swallow if the company were just honest with its employees about why they chose to make the cuts, instead of trying to pull the wool over our eyes. What's more, upper management started a new performance incentive program that makes it nearly impossible for staff employees on small contracts to win earn this award, while employees working high profile contracts are always front runners. What's worse is the incentive program makes it very easy for middle-to-upper management to receive the award, while it becomes much more difficult the further down the "food chain" you are.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Cutting of benefits even though the company is doing well, performance incentive program too easy for upper management to win
Good Company with typical Gov Contractor Problems
Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 2, 2017
Most people I've worked with or talked to are very friendly and helpful. Managers that I've had have been very flexible in the work arrangements (There's less flexibility with higher clearance jobs).
Because most of the jobs require higher clearances it's hard to get another position if you don't already have a high one.
Pros
Nice people, reasonable pay, good benefits, many training opportunities
Cons
Very little advancement opportunity, pay doesn't keep up with market
Great company which was a major employer on Long Island
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Calverton, NYDecember 4, 2016
This was my first job after high school and I started out as an avionics bench mechanic. The company was great and the advancement opportunities served me well as I eventually became a Senior Planner for Industrial Engineering which put me on a path for more diverse future employment. After 21 years I left the job when Northrop bought the company and moved off of Long Island.
Pros
Very secure company and benefits. Worked with wonderful people for 21 years.
Cons
Company was bought and moved out of state.
Great Company - Professional Environment
Accountant II/Trainer/Conversion Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 28, 2016
Worked for this company for over 10 years and although there were layoffs due to the job market, this company has lots of positive benefits. I was recognized and awarded for professional experience, allowed to grow and rewarded for educational background and pursuits and compensated adequately. The company paid rewards for any projects worked on outside of the scope of job description. All companies should follow the overall work environment of this company.
Pros
Professional respect; adequate compensation; hired based on education and professional background
Cons
Towards the end of service, newly hired inexperienced manager caused disruption to established team; caused issues
Very rewarding company to work for.
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2017
Northrop was a great company to work for. Things were interesting all the time. Everyone worked as a team, and the management was great. The hardest part of my job was that it was contractual and once the contracts ended you were not always able to find another contract to pick you up.
Pros
Very flexible, with teleworking. Benefits were great.
Cons
Contractual
Great atmosphere
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 7, 2016
Working in Facility Procurement can be stressful at times, because the Facility Representative aren't always prepared with the amount of requirements and information I need to efficiently request a proposal from suppliers. Nonetheless, the Facility Representatives are always willing to help me out with providing me the information after the fact so I may pass that along to the various suppliers I am requesting quotes from. My manager is amazing and very down to earth. He interacts with me on a daily basis, as well as my fellow co-workers.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly coworkers
Cons
Career advancement takes a lot of time
Pays well
Cyber Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVFebruary 16, 2017
Not the best and certainly not the worst. I've heard from coworkers that the engineering sector is much better with how they run their operations overall. Don't not expect to be treated any differently than a bum off of the street when applying to new positions. These conditions can change greatly depending on the program for which you work.
Pros
Benefits and pay are great
Good Company
Material Requirements Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Overall, Northrop is a great place to work. They have excellent benefits. However, too many office politics, bonuses do not exist if you are not at the top 10% of best employees, and moving on to a different position or getting a promotion is a joke.
Pros
401k, Tuition Reimbursement, 9/80
Cons
Moving positions within NG
Great working environment , good work and great people to work with...
Computer Graphics designer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2017
Been employees for 35 years now and the company has been good to me... Have had great opportunities to learn and grow over the years... Work with and been involved in projects n programs with a number of people and all have had an impact on how my skills have developed . Overall it's been a great experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Benefits have decreased over the years
Excellent management, working towards becoming one company
Corporate Offset Lead (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 15, 2016
NGC has made a lot of progress under current leadership. Definitely heading in the right direction as far as sales and technology go. Very talented top management and overall a good place to work.
Pros
Being surrounded by the best and brightest people in the sector.
Cons
Compensation is below industry standard, lack of results sharing for most employees
Overall a good company
Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 13, 2016
The benefits are expensive but great (I think most benefits are expensive nowadays).
You get education assistance but have to give time back in return.
I've worked in multiple locations and of course every location, manager, and coworkers are different but I've worked with nothing but great people so far.
Either you have a fantastic PM and managers who know what they're doing or you get people who don't have their stuff together but are still knowledgeable.
A Day At Northrop
Sr. Test Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDNovember 9, 2016
I support a very small team of technical writers and testers. We sit together daily and communicate all day discussing work issues. The atmosphere is extremely present. I am not only a supervisor but a key contributor. The hardest part of my job is delivering unpleasant reviews or terminations to staff because of budget cuts. I enjoy the team and the team atmosphere. It is a pleasure to come to work with seasoned professionals who love their job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor communication skills
Northrop grumman corporation
Repair Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 3, 2016
Excellent place to work and learn.
Opportunities are very open for continuing education both at Northrop Grumman and offsite.
Employees can create their future depending on what their goals are.
Excellent benefits.

Work hard and pay attention to all detail and take risks for opportunities.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
The drive to El Segundo, out near the LAX Airport

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northrop Grumman. Our community is ready to answer.