Northrop Grumman Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,945 reviews matching the search
Good place for early career professionals
Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 23, 2016
Great benefits
Heavily focused on attracting and promoting early career professionals
There is over-time specific to projects and deadlines, and routine cycles, but there's generally work-life balance
Nice people
Ethical culture
Increasing opportunities for teleworking

Reorganizes frequently -networking across multiple business units / functions is key to retaining your position and promotions.
They are generally good about providing employees time to look internally when they will be losing their job as a result of reorganizations

Strong preference for younger workers in succession planning and promotions. Younger professionals move quickly through the organization.

Culture, adequacy of staffing, size of offices and cubicles, availability of supplies, quality of food vary significantly by location - corporate office has a lot of amenities (large offices, free coffee, high quality inexpensive food, etc.) but decreases based on sector and degrees of separation from corporate and sector headquarters. Other locations are generally sparse (coffee clubs, managers sharing small offices, more expensive food with less variety)
Large companies, what can you do?
System Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 8, 2015
My typical day was as follows: meet with lead, determine what the priorities of the day were and generally get to working starting with the highest priority items.
I enjoyed my time at Northrop overall but my job involved a more insular culture than someone in an "regular" office job. As such it was difficult to determine company culture overall. The manufacturing and test/culture was mostly good, very much product driven as would be expected. Occasional overtime sometimes for long stretches and occasionally had to "work until the job is done".
I had great coworkers and pretty good managers at this position and it certainly helped make any of the hard times a bit easier.
Pros
Great coworkers, good benefits, good atmosphere
Cons
slow advancement, logistics (sometimes)
Great Work, Slow Advancement, Not Willing to Pay for High Performers
Special Projects Tooling Lead (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAApril 6, 2016
Really enjoy it here, unfortunately the only way to advance is to "cool your jets" and wait for time to pass. As a high performer, your efforts are acknowledged, but not in the way that matters (promotions, compensation). Fun work, great environment. The only piece of the puzzle that is missing is the recognizing performers.
Pros
Fun work, lots of different options
Cons
slow advancement, low salary
Job Satisfaction
Adminstrative Support (Current Employee) –  Schriever AFB, COFebruary 26, 2016
This is a very fast-hectic job. Sometimes lunch have to wait until the time is right. I learned to troubleshoot printers, systems, plotters, and other office equipment. Management is great and my coworkers are awesome. The hardest part of the job is that because the location is away from everything, it takes a while to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction by customers.
Pros
Company benefits are the best
Cons
far away from civilization
Work Hard, Work More, Achieve
Senior Proposal Manager (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 19, 2015
Excellent government contractor -- excels in some BUs, fails in others. Inconsistent leadership management, BU goals and objectives may conflict with corporate. Need to be less reactionary and more strategic. Work culture is that.... work hard, work all the time, we will compensate you well.
Pros
Professional, Location, Benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Life at Northrop
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Bernardo, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Started in 1985 for Northrop. Fine small company that ran efficiently and good work environment. Rated #4 in good places to work. Brought in mass amounts of personnel from companies that weren't good places to work for the B-2 program. Work environment was never the same. Left in 1999 but returned in 2007 to maximize my retirement benefits. Retired after 20 years with the company.
Pros
Good benfits and pension
Cons
Not the best management
Stong company that offers great job security.
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAFebruary 26, 2016
I've learned a lot about the corporate lifestyle at this company. The peoples attitudes are a direct reflection of the California lifestyle. The hardest part of my job is the early morning 1 hour plus commutes but the most enjoyable part is the early time off.
Pros
3 day weekend every other week.
Cons
Management has cut low level employee benefits for 5 years running.
Eye opening Experience
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 21, 2015
Northrop Grumman has taught me a lot in my short career there.They taught me how to not only be a professional but to be original. The culture they have created is that family makes a winner. Together as a team we can achieve anything we put our will power to. It's a contagious atmosphere that can move mountains. I want to thank them for teaching that elite professionalism that comes with the aerospace industry. Yes, they let me go, but the life lessons in professionalism I took away from them is worth what money can't buy. Thank You NG
Exciting Work / Projects
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 3, 2016
Northrop Grumman is (in my opinion) the best aerospace company in the world. The systems are incredible.

The downfall is Vice Presidents and Directors don't really understand how much is required to "make things happen."

The work life balance is hard.

The pay is decent and there are some amazing people to work with in the company.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Low work/life balance
Excellent opportunity for a great career in engineering is provided at this company.
LAB SYSTEMS TEST ENGINEER II (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 5, 2015
A typical day a work includes completing given and expected work tasks for that day. I've learned to be proactive at getting help with all assignments if needed and not waiting to be given any help or needed training. The management seemed to have a desire to perform their job well. The co-workers seemed to be greatly influenced by management and only the most self-sufficient seemed to thrive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unprofessional attitudes of some co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great and vast opportunities affordable to all of the engineers to grow and thrive if we just put the effort into it.
Pros
great opportunities for learning and career advancement.
Cons
unprofessional attitudes of some employees.
Very productive, fast paced assembly line
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CADecember 3, 2015
A great company to work for with great benefits, full medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as 401k with company match. Decent work environment in a climate controlled building.

Management can micromanage at times and pushes efficiency and production numbers pretty strongly but also facilitates growth and development within the company. Provides a chance to cross train in other aspects of the duties performed as well with plenty of room to grow and expand knowledge.
Pros
coworkers, management, engagement
Cons
Short breaks, favortism
Productive work place
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Algorithm development and implementation for radar platforms whose client is the air force. I work with a very nice and talented group. Most of them between the ages of 45-55. I am the youngest in the group at the age of 33. I love everything about the jobs accept the bureaucracy of the management and the poor compensation in my case. Where after a masters and a phd I am still making only $10k more than an entry level job.
Contractor for NG
Systems Engineer, IT (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NEMarch 17, 2016
On my particular contract, the culture is very good, but the work balance is pretty bad. I'm continuously in a position where I bring home work with me and can never release/relax.
Pros
Good people, good culture (overall), and room for learning
Cons
Poor work-life balance
Job Security
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2015
Its good office to join if you are not looking to advance and just need something stable. The dynamic is not like another office I have worked in. A great learning experience, and I work with some really great people. This office is the red headed step child of Northrop Grumman.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good benefits, great management
Cons
Little opportunity to move up or around in the company
No job security; constantly changing the org & letting people go
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMarch 18, 2016
Seems to change the structure of the organization every 12-18 months and then you have to interview for your own job or a new job. Health benefits don't pay for anything since the Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare) went into effect. Just merged two huge sectors NGIS and NGES into NGMS but did not merge the budgets, health benefits, vacation schedules, software or access to sites. So we tell the world we are one company but in fact we are two companies squeezed together trying to figure out how to create reports on two totally different systems. By the time we get them merged I'm sure we will go through yet another org change. Very frustrating!
Pros
9/80 Friday
Cons
re-orgs & layoffs, benefits
Security
site services (Current Employee) –  Azusa, CAMarch 23, 2016
There is job security and benefits. There are no shortcomings in terms of running out of work. The benefits are really good too since they take care of their people, but growth is pretty difficult.
Pros
Job security, benefits
Cons
hard to gain growth
Sad but true
ILS Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALOctober 10, 2015
Being a retired soldier I believe in providing only the best product to the Warfighter. Knowing of flaws and imperfections should raise flags. The check the block attitude was disheartening. The information provided to the customer and the overlooking of so money and promotions could be accomplished would give America a heart attack.
Pros
Fantastic benefits
Cons
Lack of leadership or management. No entegrity, honesty or values.
Build your resume and move on
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 6, 2015
Northrop Grumman has a severe problem keeping young talent around, and this will likely continue into the future. There's an old company culture with very conservative mindsets. I work in an IT group, and this company easily has the worst job culture compared to any anywhere else I've been. Examples: pay for your own coffee, no free lunches, business dress, expensive breakfast and lunches, and poor compensation. Three of the buildings I've worked in are little more than cube farms for entire floors, which tends to kill any chances employee interaction.

It's incredibly irritating when company leaders boast "we pay for performance," and when employees bust their butts and earn ratings of 4, they receive $0 in merit or bonus increases. The common attitude from upper management is somewhere along the lines of "college graduates should be thrilled to come work for us, regardless of benefits." No surprise, very rarely does an employee less than 28 stick around for more than 2 years.

These same "leaders" wonder what they can do to keep young, very talented employees from resigning go to work in the innovative tech scene in Silicon Beach or Valley. Pay your workers what they deserve, not 30% below market value.
Northrop is a professional organization which encourages growth and provides opportunites for employees
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 17, 2015
Fast paced position which is challenging, rewarding, and expectations are high. Management assigns employees to various work groups that are mixed with all levels of employees to create a positive working team environment. All employees are valued.
Pros
healthcare benefits, 401K matching, paid time off, holiday shutdown
Northrop Grumman
Cyber Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 31, 2016
A great place to work with a generous benefits package. I would recommend Northrop Grumman to anyone looking for a rewarding career in IT.